[APP][5.0+] FairEmail - Fully featured, open source, privacy oriented email app

Search This thread

mkasimd

Apr 7, 2021
Düsseldorf
I am pretty unhappy about the situation and I am considering to pull all my apps from the Play store, close all related XDA threads and going back to anonymity.

The apps won't be sold in any case because in almost all cases this will not beneficial for the users of the app. There are plenty of examples of this.
If you are leaving, that's your decision ultimately. We will be sad about it, but we will also respect it.

However, I'd appreciate it, if you left the GitHub repo and this XDA thread available. So that anyone who wants to can fork the app and then inform the core users here in this thread. Even if it's just about keeping the libraries up to date and nothing else.

nadir husain

Aug 31, 2019
If you are leaving, that's your decision ultimately. We will be sad about it, but we will also respect it.

However, I'd appreciate it, if you left the GitHub repo and this XDA thread available. So that anyone who wants to can fork the app and then inform the core users here in this thread. Even if it's just about keeping the libraries up to date and nothing else.
I am going to use FE as long as I possibly can. Not going anywhere!
Yes I agree - ultimately it's Marcels decision.

Oswald Boelcke

Senior Moderator / Moderator & RC-RT Committees
Staff member
@Oswald Boelcke can you please close all my threads. If this implies revoking my recognized developer's title, that's okay.
I'm very sorry to hear this but I'm going to do as tasked. You're leaving a gap not only on XDA but also on every device of all people that care about their (and others) privacy. I feel so bad that Google did succeed - assuming that's the case due to all I've read above.
If you change your mind, just advise - and I hope you're going to change your mind!

I'll inform the Developer Committee who might get in contact with you if required.
Thread has been closed on request of OP!

Last edited:

Oswald Boelcke

Staff member
On special request by PM of OP, Marcel aka @M66B, I have to inform you as follows:
Can you please write in each XDA thread that the GitHub repos have been restored?
Marcel, I know you can't respond here but personally I hope that this isn't your final decision.

Oswald Boelcke

Staff member
Thread re-opened on request of OP @M66B who allowed me to share his PM with you:

Can you please open all threads again?

This is to give people a chance to discuss and to help each other. It doesn't mean I will resume development though.

deechte

Feb 1, 2007
Soest
OnePlus 7T Pro
Do you realize Marcel that by your latest actions you're actually hurting the people that have supported you all the way, have downvoted reviews at your request, have overloaded you with compliments day after day, have paid for your app?

Google and the bad reviewers ruin your life, but they're not here, they don't give a sh#t that you stop and even closed the thread.

Me and many others here have in the past replied to your review complaints and advised you to look at the good things, the majority of 5 star reviews, the insanely high average score etc. I've even told you there are courses out there to help transform your thinking and better deal with setbacks. It's all in your mind to improve that.

Now every developer has to deal with Google. They're awful, we know. Every developer complains, rightfully. But they do not all toss the towel. Come on.

e5e197740b

Apr 28, 2019
So I got the news via Caschys Blog.

I have a question: I bought the pro features of the app via the Google PlayStore.
The app itself is no longer available on the google play store.

I won't try to convince Marcel to change any of that, but is there any way for me to save my status quo?

Precisely, are the pro features just going to work should I ever have to manually install the latest GitHub apk I just saved? Is there a way to transfer the license? Or am I just, "**** out of luck", as the cool kids say, whenever I have to reset or change my smartphone?

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Do you realize Marcel that by your latest actions you're actually hurting the people that have supported you all the way, have downvoted reviews at your request, have overloaded you with compliments day after day, have paid for your app?

Google and the bad reviewers ruin your life, but they're not here, they don't give a sh#t that you stop and even closed the thread.

Me and many others here have in the past replied to your review complaints and advised you to look at the good things, the majority of 5 star reviews, the insanely high average score etc. I've even told you there are courses out there to help transform your thinking and better deal with setbacks. It's all in your mind to improve that.

Now every developer has to deal with Google. They're awful, we know. Every developer complains, rightfully. But they do not all toss the towel. Come on.
I really appreciate all the good words and gestures, but I still haven't found a good answer to the question why I should continue the projects. I felt myself a slave of Google and of all those non stop demanding and judging people for a too long time, which changed into a liberated feeling now.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
So I got the news via Caschys Blog.

I have a question: I bought the pro features of the app via the Google PlayStore.
The app itself is no longer available on the google play store.

I won't try to convince Marcel to change any of that, but is there any way for me to save my status quo?

Precisely, are the pro features just going to work should I ever have to manually install the latest GitHub apk I just saved? Is there a way to transfer the license? Or am I just, "**** out of luck", as the cool kids say, whenever I have to reset or change my smartphone?
You can update to the latest GitHub version if you wish. Google Play store purchases can't be transferred because the Play store policies do not allow this.

Edit: Play store purchases keep being valid, so you don't have to do anything.

Last edited:

nadir husain

Aug 31, 2019
I have paid for the app as you know Marcel. But I also have the pre release version from the play store. If it can only be downloaded via GitHub and it's all the same to you can you please make this a totally free app ? This will help others like me when we change devices. Thanks

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Thanks Marcel
Now can you please please come back?
You don't have to develop this app. You don't have to answer questions. Just maintain it , that's all. All your users will know , do know that they are using the best email app around!
As soon as I have a good answer to the why and how question. I am not sure if there are good answers to these questions.

nadir husain

Aug 31, 2019
As soon as I have a good answer to the why and how question. I am not sure if there are good answers to these questions.
There are never perfect answers to imperfect problems. Life is a compromise- usually one sided. You give a lot more than u get. That's always the way it is.
Enough said!

In the final count what ever you decide just be happy and try to get as much as you give to strive for the perfect balance.
Thanks for everything.

Reactions: kozmo2k4 and Gborg3

crendot2

Aug 2, 2010
I'd like to say thank you for giving us quality apps that respect the user.
It is totally understandable you want to focus on things that matter to you most, do that!

Maybe in time you can come back and do it just for the fun of it, if not than not!

You choose to make your apps FOSS and this is a reason why some of us choose to use it. Life happens and someone can carry on, that's the beauty of it.

In our current time it is taxing and time consuming to go against the mainstream.
You helped us in that endeavor and i think many people are grateful.

I'm always thankful for the people that step up, be it to release an foss app or fight against megacorps. Both tasks are draining in its own way. And i can relate to everybody who chooses not to that.

Do what you think is best for you but be reminded that people are thankful for what you did!

Top Liked Posts

The tutorials as created by @mkasimd are live now:

The tutorials are being referenced from the FAQ, the contact form and from the settings screen in the next version of the app.

If you are a native English speaker, can you please check if the spelling/style is okay?
    The dark original message view will stop working for Android before version 10, about which I complained about in this issue:

https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/237785596

(requires a Google login)

The next version of the app will show a message about this.
    SQLite is used by FairEmail as the app's local database. A data loss within there should not result in any data loss within the server. If that was the case, it'd be a huge bug within the FairEmail on top of the bug in Redmi Note (as deleting in the server requires an IMAP command being sent to the email server), and we can trust that Marcel would have communicated and fixed it already if that was the case 😉

With POP3, the messages are possibly deleted right after downloading the message. So if the data within the device is lost, the messages are lost for all eternity then. Because there are no messages stored in the server then.

Advice: use IMAP whenever possible
    In addition: sqlite is the Android database system. FairEmail comes with a recent sqlite library because on older devices / Android versions there are often pretty old sqlite binaries with known and sometimes critical bugs. FairEmail links for this to the requery/sqlite-android project. You'll find some commit of me in this project as well.

sqlite is a pretty amazing piece of software!
    Does the mentioned possible data loss happen only on the device or also on the server?
    Only on the device, unless a POP3 account is being used with the option 'Leave messages on server' disabled.

I have clarified this in the FAQ:

https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/FAQ.md#redmi

Thanks!
    To HTML gurus: this is my attempt of a custom implementation of "algorithmic darkening" (display messages on a dark background, even though they weren't designed for this) for the original message view on Android before version 10:

https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/patches/invert.html

Result:

https://rawcdn.githack.com/M66B/Fai...097ed999a3e77c56c1b97388c/patches/invert.html

Can this be improved? Are there side effects?
    Is it possible to check the original HTML's background brightness before doing this? Because it'd be stupid if an email was already sent with a dark background and a light text, and then inverting the text to dark with a black background 🤔
    Version 1.1923 1.1924 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/releases

The option to suppress notifications while on a call (recently added) has been replaced by delaying notifications until after having ended the call instead. This way there isn't a risk that important new messages will be missed or seen too late. This option is available on Android 12 and later only because earlier Android versions do not have the requires APIs.
    Version 1.1906 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:

Thanks @Rtxda for testing!
    Quite some people asked my opinion about Thunderbird / K9 mail joining.

I wish them good luck because we need privacy friendly apps. The author of K9 mail seems a nice guy to me, and even contributed a few lines of code and some constructive feedback to FairEmail. I hope he'll find a nice place in the Mozilla organization.

That said, the concept of FairEmail is somewhat different than of Thunderbird / K9 mail. One of the things I read about is deep integration between the Thunderbird desktop / mobile app. The concept of FairEmail is to be standalone and not to depend on any service. Maybe in some way the apps are competitors, depending on the way you look at them, but in the end the goal is similar, offering a decent and privacy friendly app, at least I hope that this keeps being the goal of Mozilla. Of course a lot more can be said, but the apps just have a different character, which you might or might not like.
    Version 1.1907 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:
    Version 1.1914 1.1915 is available on GitHub now.

Changelog/download:

All changes required or desired for Android 13 have been done now.
    Now that this has been done and given my personal situation, there will be bug fix releases only for now.
    ic_launcher.png

FairEmail
    Open source, privacy friendly email app for Android

banner7_long.png

See here for a description:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/

See here for screenshots:
    https://email.faircode.eu/#screenshots

Downloads:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email#user-content-downloads

Frequently asked questions:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/blob/master/FAQ.md

Please read this before requesting a new feature:
    https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/FAQ.md#user-content-get-support

This XDA thread is about using the latest version of FairEmail.

For support on authorizing an account you should consult the documentation of your provider, see also here.

Off topic comments are allowed as long they are related to FairEmail and are in the general interest of the followers of this thread.

Discussion of purchases is not allowed here, please contact me via here instead.
    How was the call with Google today, Marcel?

Google was pretty friendly and cooperative and told me the favicons are indeed the problem, and it can/should be fixed by updating in the privacy policy to "disclose how your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares user data":

Privacy Policy​

All apps must post a privacy policy in both the designated field in Play Console and within the app itself. The privacy policy must, together with any in-app disclosures, comprehensively disclose how your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares user data, not limited by the data disclosed in the Data Safety section. This must include:
    • developer information and a privacy point of contact or a mechanism to submit inquiries
    • disclosing the types of personal and sensitive user data your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares; and any parties with which any personal or sensitive user data is shared
    • secure data handling procedures for personal and sensitive user data
    • the developer’s data retention and deletion policy
    • clear labeling as a privacy policy (e.g., listed as “privacy policy” in title)
    The entity (e.g., developer, company) named in the app’s Google Play listing must appear in the privacy policy or the app must be named in the privacy policy. Apps that do not access any personal and sensitive user data must still submit a privacy policy.

Please make sure your privacy policy is available on an active URL (no PDFs) and is non-editable.

So, I have updated the privacy policy and added this new table:

https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/PRIVACY.md#summary-of-shared-data

I am not sure if it covers everything, so feedback is more than welcome. @mkasimd maybe you can take a look?

Note that I have also enabled BIMI, Gravatars, Libravatars and favicons for the Play store version again.

The short term goal is to release a Play store test version (and associated GitHub version) and to get the update approved. I will think about the next steps after this has been accomplished. Given the huge number of supportive messages I received (much appreciated!) the project will be continued in some form in any case.
    Version 1.1900 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval (which is the main goal of this release).

Changelog/download:

My girlfriend is slowly recovering too :)
    It is time for a new, modern, open source, privacy friendly email client for Android.

I have just released a first alpha version for feedback on the design and features.

Not for production use yet!

Most of the stuff basically works, but be prepared for crashes and error notifications.

Safe email is a working name, but it is for several reasons not a convenient name, so suggestions for a name are welcome.
    I have just released alpha version 0.15

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/releases

With a bit of luck the next version can be a beta version.

I am putting a lot of effort into this project, so thanks are appreciated.