[APP][5.0+] FairEmail - Fully featured, open source, privacy oriented email app

Search This thread

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Maybe it is a dumb question. But did Google properly understand that you don't think you violate their Code? Maybe you should sprinkle an "allegedly" into your 3 points. Sure it would make no sense to ask Google where, when and what is sent if "you coded the malicious feature". But the people responding are probably not the best paid people. And I think they have to answer to a lot of dumb and malicious people.
We have a saying in Dutch which translates like "Who demands who proves". In other words, if you accuse someone, you need to present proof. Why should I prove I am innocent? That's the world upside down.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Hallo,

ich bin auch ein (bisher) sehr zufriedener Nutzer von FairEmail. Nachdem ich FairEmail plötzlich nicht mehr im Google Playstore gefunden habe, bin ich auf den Golem Nachrichtenartikel und das Forum hier gestoßen.

Nur mal eine Laienhafte Einschätzung von mir (ich kann natürlich auch komplett falsch liegen!):

Mir kommt es irgendwie so vor, als würden Google und M66B "aneinander vorbeireden". Google bemängelt - so wie ich das verstehe - lediglich, dass eine Datenschutzerklärung fehlt bzw. diese nicht alle relevanten Informationen enthält. Diese ist wohl notwendig, sobald die App irgendwelche Daten verschickt (was jede Email App ja macht). Von irgendwelchen Favicons, Third Party Services oder über an ein Konto / Email gebundene freizuschaltenden Pro-Versionen ganz zu schweigen.

Und zumindest ich finde die Datenschutzerklärung von FairEmail wirklich etwas "kurz geraten":

Zum Vergleich mal die sehr ausführliche Datenschutzerklärung von Aqua Mail

Vielleicht kann man die beiden Datenschutzerklärungen mal vergleichen (u.a. Bereich Payment und Third Party Services) und sieht so, was bei FairEmail noch nötig ist, um Google zufriedenzustellen.

Falls es daran liegt...
Most privacy policies violate the GDPR which requires a privacy policy to be as simple possible to understand. Instead you find "definitions" and other hard to read legal language. This is explicitly not allowed because Joe and Jane (no offence meant in any way) should also be able to understand what happens. The privacy policy of FairEmail doesn't contain legal language and is just to the point. I wish that all privacy policies were like this!

truephoenix

May 21, 2022
Perhaps that can help with the privacy policy:

From that website

By April 22, 2022, every single application published by the Google Play Store will be required to have a privacy policy and declare how it collects, protects, and handles private user data....
More: https://termly.io/resources/templates/app-privacy-policy/#privacy-policies-for-ios-and-android-apps

Last edited:

ccMatrix

Jul 26, 2009
A long time ago I had a similar issue with Google play and just gave up. Since it was a hobby project the time and effort were not worth it.

Google has automated processes that flag the apps. Giving out the info about what line or code triggered their flag would basically help people with bad intentions to navigate around those. So they have their policy of not giving out any helpful information at all. So the same policy that should block real malware and spam apps is blocking honest developers who have no way than pure luck (like you did with changing random code) to bypass their algorithm.

I wish they would handle popular apps and developers with good standing differently and they really should. But I wonder how the community can force Google to change. They really should become more developer friendly.

Hope your talk next week can be more fruitful and maybe after some hiatus you can find it in you to continue the app. It is an amazing mail client and there are so few decent ones on Android especially with such a feature set. Try to remember what made you develop the app in the first place. Taking a break from development and Google Play hastle is absolutely understandable.

I wish you all the best!

inreverse

May 21, 2022
I registered this account only to post in this thread.

I recognized the value of FairEmail a couple of years ago and I wanted to donate to show some appreciation.

I always donate to useful FOSS projects. However, it was never "possible" for me to donate to FairEmail. Maybe it was Google who put these rules in place, but my only option to donate to FairEmail would be to give Google my credit card. I would have accepted random credit card processor or even PayPal. I don't have bitcoin. Giving the credit card info to Google just felt wrong.

Those who appreciated FairEmail the most were probably the same people who avoided Google the most. Expect zero loyalty from Play Store users. In Play Store you are just an "app making machine".

heisert

Jan 24, 2015
Hamburg
Hmm you want new features from the dev who said he didnt want to work again on the app again???

Sometimes its a good idea to read 2-5 posts before reply...

@M66B i hope you will come back. Its still the best Android Email Client in the World!
There must be something really wrong in the Google Code console. Why are there still bad Email clients with lower privacy in the Play Store?!

ruq

Apr 6, 2022
Motorola Edge (2021)
Hmm you want new features from the dev who said he didnt want to work again on the app again???

@M66B i hope you will come back. Its still the best Android Email Client in the World!
There must be something really wrong in the Google Code console. Why are there still bad Email clients with lower privacy in the Play Store?!

whoops. I was just passively voicing my thoughts. sad to hear the app won't be worked on again (at least for the moment). sorry about that.

Reactions: heisert

testeurdeouf

Jun 16, 2020
Thanks for your Works @M66B Fairemail is the best email client i ever try, so... Big Thanks
Take care of the one with you, she is probably a big part of all your work, and i believe need more attention than google policies !!!

testeurdeouf

Jun 16, 2020

Too much download ? i also think that's is the best of the store, so.... jalousy

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
There are a couple of features I wish this app had:

- Per email account notification sounds (I came from Spark Mail)
- To not have the send button right above the keyboard. I bumped it once. RIP.

Nice to haves:
- A cleaner look (not more minimal, just a reskin I guess).
Per account notification, please see this FAQ:

https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/FAQ.md#user-content-faq145

Send button: accidents can happen wherever it is, that's why there is a confirmation needed by default. It seems you disabled the confirmation. Maybe you want to enable it again?

Cleaner look: the appearance is one of the most discussed things. If you ask 10 people about how things should look like, you'll get 20 opinions.

mkasimd

Apr 7, 2021
Düsseldorf
I've never dealt with apps, but the basics should be the same as how we do things within my party. I'll get back to you in a few hours later tonight. ATM, I'm a little in a rush due to a close relative's wedding tomorrow.
@M66B, I just sent you an email with some comments and suggestions. If you cant find it due to too many mails in your inbox: search for a disroot FROM address or alternatively for "Privacy Policy" or my XDA handle in the subject field :)

You can reply by email if necessary, I'll probably notice it quicker than here anyways.

sssubito

Nov 7, 2015
Hm, Google is not giving details to devs to try to prevent "malicious" actors to dodge bullets when their apps got flagged? First, guys'n'gals, tune down your sarcasm/irony detectors... OK, done?
Now that is a well proven industry's pinacle policy, isn't it: yay, security by obscurity! Proven to work... always!
@google, seriously!?
But unfortunately they seem to believe in it just because it makes their efforts way easier and cheaper. Not helping, though.

@M66B
You're a nice guy if you still believe in some good within people who behave badly. Actually there's likely some good in everybody. But to be frank, if someone trolls you, just try to ignore it. It's a well proven strategy: don't feed the trolls. It's not your duty to try to find any good in those, you shouldn't waste your time, energy and mood to babysit any troll/jerk/misbehaving individual. It just doesn't do you well.

Who am I to give you any unasked advise. No pun intended! I have read the pages from maybe the beginning of this week when things started to go south (health of your girlfriend (best wishes for her recovery!); issues with Google; you being triggered by "unfair" 1* nonsense from people in Google Play Store reviews; you fed up with all of this; ...). Maybe take a brake, you seem to need it. Clear your mind of frustration by Google "dev support" and review trolls. They don't deserve this much dark power over you.

As I said before, I like FairEmail Pro and will continue to use it for what it is. Many low or lowest star ratings are barely worth your comment, they expose the writer mostly as some troll or, well, not the brightest candle on the cake (pun intended!). Try to stop getting triggered by those, try to ignore them, they don't do you good and demotivate you apparently. I don't give a sh** on such reviews when I scan ratings of an app because there're always some percentage of such ill-fated ones.

If Play Store issues can't get resolved, too bad but so be it. I am willing to look into Github or F-Droid for FairEmail, because your app is plain too good to not go for it.

Take my ramblings with a grain of salt and maybe some humor. In German there's a saying "Die schlimmsten Schläge sind Ratschläge" which doesn't carry over well when translated to English "The worst blows/punches are advice". Oh boy, what have I done...

EtherealRemnant

Sep 15, 2007
Denver, CO
I am very sad to hear this news. I have used Android off and on since 2009 and I have only ever bought a handful of apps because most of them just aren't worth paying for. When I switched to this OnePlus 9 in February or March and my Gmail notifications weren't coming in, I switched to FairEmail after doing some searches online and trying a few other apps, and I liked it so much that I bought the pro version within days. I have read back some pages and I understand the reasoning so I just wanted to say thank you for the great app no matter what you decide and I hope your girlfriend recovers soon. :)

Itcouldbeyou

May 14, 2010
We have a saying in Dutch which translates like "Who demands who proves". In other words, if you accuse someone, you need to present proof. Why should I prove I am innocent? That's the world upside down.
I am not saying you have to prove anything. Google has to prove it, I agree. I simply said write "where it allegedly sends contact info". I'd deny their claims in every statement.

Top Liked Posts

Hello. I am a Pro FairEmail user for 1.5 years. Version 1.1923a from Github. Android 10 with LG Stylo 5.
    This is an app behavior question. I read an email from the combined inbox, and then a call comes in, so the app goes to background, and when I want to go back to that email, I select a particular email account, and then the inbox, or special folder, but that email has been marked Read, and I cannot find that email anymore. Why does selecting a particular folder in a particular account it only shows me "unread" emails? Why does It never allow me to see an email that I have already seen? How can I change the behavior or select the folder a different way to find that email again?

I appreciate Fair Email very much and if I need to donate more to encourage you to continue, I will find that button and do it.
    I'm guessing as I don't know for sure. I don't know the app as well as others but I did find one thing that could cause it (it's possible there are other places to but I thought I'd take a look to see what I could find). Go into the inbox or special folder. Click on the three dots in the upper right hand corner. Click on "filter out" and make sure read is unchecked. When I check read under "filter out" it hides all read emails.
    @George_FOSS_Lover As already pointed out, the filters in the top action bar/menu are probably causing your problem.
    Very longtime user and supporter of Fairemail.

Lately, my gmail account in FE has intermittent trouble downloading its rare messages. See attached image 1. What is funny is that if, within Fairemail, I go to the gmail inbox and refresh, it downloads properly (in this case there were no new emails) and the error message disappears (see screenshot 2).

Not really.a problem. Just to see if others have seen this behavior. The gmail account in Fairemail was created using Fairemail's wizard. I also use Netguard which might be interfering?
    This probably means that the Android account manager can't access the internet to refresh the access token.
    This could be caused by using a VPN, firewall, ad blocker, etc.

A possible workaround is to use an app password, please see here:

https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/FAQ.md#user-content-faq6
    Version 1.1901 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/releases

This version fixes all reported bugs and there is a small behavior change: scrolling to the end of a list or message will show the compose or answer button now, without needing to scroll in the other direction again.

Google's privacy and policy team confirmed the approval of the app. For more news, please see here.
    Dear Marcel,

I've only discovered the various drama that have affected both your personal and dev lives because I hadn't been on this forum for months and hadn't updated FE for quite some time (FE is so good and already satisfies my needs well enough that I don't feel the need to upgrade too often). So reading backwards through 40+ pages of this thread was a shock to me.

First, I hope your GF keeps recovering. Life in good health is so precious.

Second, I want to reiterate my strong support to you. FE is by far the best email client out there. I couldn't manage my multiple accounts without it and would be quite desperate/sad should its support end. And you Marcel are the nicest and most dedicated dev I've ever "met" either virtually (through public forums such as XDA) or in person (at my workplace). So, whatever the next steps I want to warmly thank you!

I hope you'll be able to learn how to become insensitive (or less sensitive) to unfair negative comments (this earth is full of as***les and you have no control over this). You should only feed yourself with positive energy received from all the good people who love and respect you and your fantastic work.

You're having a strong positive impact on people: not only the daily happy users of your apps, but also now beyond. Your story has been in the media, and now it's seems that some political parties or lobbies could use your story to encourage the EU increase their support towards independent dev, FOSS, etc...
    So now you're reaching a new iconic status, and you'll have to learn to live with it! 😇😉

Sending more positive energy ❤️❤️❤️ from France
    Thanks.

My girlfriend is slowly recovering, although frustratingly slow (especially for herself).

I never wanted an "iconic status", and only wanted to help people protect their privacy because in my opinion this was and still is necessary, but I guess it is what it is and that I need to deal with it now. Maybe it helps to increase awareness about privacy matters though, which would be a good side.

I like to thank the many people who have been rather supportive last week. This is the main reason why I am continuing.
    Version 1.1900 has been approved by Google and is available in the test program now.
    I didn't receive feedback from Google's privacy and policy team yet though.
    Version 1.1923 1.1924 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:

The option to suppress notifications while on a call (recently added) has been replaced by delaying notifications until after having ended the call instead. This way there isn't a risk that important new messages will be missed or seen too late. This option is available on Android 12 and later only because earlier Android versions do not have the requires APIs.
    Version 1.1901 has been released to the Play Store as a "production" version after confirmation from Google's privacy and policy team. It may take a few hours or more before FairEmail is available again worldwide in the Play Store.

https://faircode.eu/faq.html
    ic_launcher.png

FairEmail
    Open source, privacy friendly email app for Android

banner7_long.png

See here for a description:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/

See here for screenshots:
    https://email.faircode.eu/#screenshots

Downloads:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email#user-content-downloads

Frequently asked questions:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/blob/master/FAQ.md

Please read this before requesting a new feature:
    https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/FAQ.md#user-content-get-support

This XDA thread is about using the latest version of FairEmail.

For support on authorizing an account you should consult the documentation of your provider, see also here.

Off topic comments are allowed as long they are related to FairEmail and are in the general interest of the followers of this thread.

Discussion of purchases is not allowed here, please contact me via here instead.
    How was the call with Google today, Marcel?

Google was pretty friendly and cooperative and told me the favicons are indeed the problem, and it can/should be fixed by updating in the privacy policy to "disclose how your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares user data":

Privacy Policy​

All apps must post a privacy policy in both the designated field in Play Console and within the app itself. The privacy policy must, together with any in-app disclosures, comprehensively disclose how your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares user data, not limited by the data disclosed in the Data Safety section. This must include:
    • developer information and a privacy point of contact or a mechanism to submit inquiries
    • disclosing the types of personal and sensitive user data your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares; and any parties with which any personal or sensitive user data is shared
    • secure data handling procedures for personal and sensitive user data
    • the developer’s data retention and deletion policy
    • clear labeling as a privacy policy (e.g., listed as “privacy policy” in title)
    The entity (e.g., developer, company) named in the app’s Google Play listing must appear in the privacy policy or the app must be named in the privacy policy. Apps that do not access any personal and sensitive user data must still submit a privacy policy.

Please make sure your privacy policy is available on an active URL (no PDFs) and is non-editable.

So, I have updated the privacy policy and added this new table:

https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/PRIVACY.md#summary-of-shared-data

I am not sure if it covers everything, so feedback is more than welcome. @mkasimd maybe you can take a look?

Note that I have also enabled BIMI, Gravatars, Libravatars and favicons for the Play store version again.

The short term goal is to release a Play store test version (and associated GitHub version) and to get the update approved. I will think about the next steps after this has been accomplished. Given the huge number of supportive messages I received (much appreciated!) the project will be continued in some form in any case.
    Version 1.1900 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval (which is the main goal of this release).

Changelog/download:

My girlfriend is slowly recovering too :)
    It is time for a new, modern, open source, privacy friendly email client for Android.

I have just released a first alpha version for feedback on the design and features.

Not for production use yet!

Most of the stuff basically works, but be prepared for crashes and error notifications.

Safe email is a working name, but it is for several reasons not a convenient name, so suggestions for a name are welcome.
    I have just released alpha version 0.15

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/releases

With a bit of luck the next version can be a beta version.

I am putting a lot of effort into this project, so thanks are appreciated.