[APP][5.0+] FairEmail - Fully featured, open source, privacy oriented email app

Search This thread

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
To native English speakers, is this proper English?

• Configuration information will be looked up at the email server and at autoconfig.thunderbird.net using the entered email address
  • Google presumably doesn't allow online icons for privacy reasons

heisert

Jan 24, 2015
Hamburg

dont read them. and in this time the people read all over you stop the app they will post negative reviews. i think they didnt know why you "will" stop the app.

Reactions: haksuu and de_Wolf

ExperienceFast

May 22, 2022
I use NetGuard (non Pro) several years without any problems. Heard of your problems and read big part of this thread.

I recommend you to
- take a break to help your girl friend and cool down
- IF you want to continue :
+ stop ( temporary ? ) delivering google version
+ delegate first level support to a group of trustworty users here
+ only focus on coding (as this is your hobby)

This way you can do what you make happy :)

Regarding the code :
I had a short view on the code of FairMail and I have a short assumption.
Possibly they do not run the code but do a code analysis.
And I assume that thid code analysis do not recognize that your code switches logic depending on PlayStore. So it seems for them that you deliver (at least one value read from contact) to somewhere in internet.
I recommend to remove this code or use different code versions for PlayStore and GitHub.

Its just an assumptiom !!!

regsnerven

Mar 16, 2016
@M66B I just heard about you stopping to develop FairEmail and NetGuard in a podcast about OSINT from the US.
I just could not believe it until I saw the notice on your homepage.

I just wanted to quickly leave this here: Your app is amazing. It is the one solution to everything one could wish from an email client. You've developed also one of the only email clients that actually works with alias email addresses, which seems to be kinda hard, I guess, since even Thunderbird struggles to implement it for YEARS!

Your apps are amazing. Do not let those bad reviews get to you. I know that this is easy to say, but hard to do.
Google has arbitrary power of some aspects of the app world in Android and the whole internet space in and of itself. With projects like yours, the way it works, the way you develop it (and the community supports you, I hope) and the way you distribute it, you give them the finger every day and show the world that all of this can be done differently.

The fact that an US podcast mentioned YOUR project, the news outlets reporting on you, the feedback you get in this board (remember 1 people speaking up in the internet stands for hundreds, even thousand more, considering your privacy focused audience :)), the downloads and hopefully the donations, that we as an open source using community oh toooooooo often forget about after using and loving a software for oh so many years, are probably speaking for themselves.
Quick side note here: Thanks for the quick privacy policy help @mkasimd :) That was simply amazing.

I do not want to convince you to start developing again, although I hope you do.
I just wanted to tell you: You are amazing, the work you have done is amazing and I wish you all the best in life for you and all your loved ones :)

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010

dont read them. and in this time the people read all over you stop the app they will post negative reviews. i think they didnt know why you "will" stop the app.
How about emails like this (warning, pretty unfriendly):

"Die App einstellen aber mein Geld dankend nehmen? Fick dich du kranke Sau."

"Bitte hör auf rumzuheulen du kleine Heulsuse. Einen Charakter wie dich braucht die FOSS Welt nicht. Tschüß."

Just two examples ...

Reactions: sieghartRM

heisert

Jan 24, 2015
Hamburg
Puh. And they wrote with fake Email Adress, or? Stupid idiots.
Cant understand why over 90% of the humans are crazy like ****.
It's easy to anonymously insult people on the internet. You really have to try not to let that get to you. Unfortunately, I feel the same as you. I can understand you completely.

But the Fairemail crowd is for you and not against you!
We are many (and the idiots are only few)

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Puh. And they wrote with fake Email Adress, or? Stupid idiots.
Cant understand why over 90% of the humans are crazy like ****.
It's easy to anonymously insult people on the internet. You really have to try not to let that get to you. Unfortunately, I feel the same as you. I can understand you completely.

But the Fairemail crowd is for you and not against you!
We are many (and the idiots are only few)
Indeed, so, unfortunately, there is no way for a healthy dialog.

ExperienceFast

May 22, 2022

"Bitte hör auf rumzuheulen du kleine Heulsuse. Einen Charakter wie dich braucht die FOSS Welt nicht. Tschüß."

Just two examples ...
I recommend to report it to google, they are forced to remove such comment.

Edit: sorry read it as comment in rating. Just ignore such mails

zentis

Jul 26, 2011
It's hard to imagine that there are people so disgraceful and small minded that they'd resort to sending you those insulting emails. I can't imagine how frustrating it is to receive those emails but I do hope those are a minority. I think many many are appreciative of your work (I definitely am). Unfortunately, I guess a lot of people who are very appreciative don't necessarily send emails besides paying for the initial donation.

haksuu

Jul 6, 2020
Samsung Galaxy S10

Just two examples ...
You are doing a great job and as you can see here and almost everywhere, most people are very grateful to you for it.

There are always exceptions and you will always get such unfriendly messages by mail or Play Store review. There are just a lot of stupid people.
For your own protection and for the protection of the project, you must try to ignore these insulting messages that do not contain any factual criticism.

As some have pointed out here. I think it would be very good for you if you let your community help you with the support of the project.

I will be happy to help you answer these messages in a very friendly manner. I can express myself in German very well. 😉

musicfreak

Jan 11, 2009
I have been using FairEmail for several years now and I really think it is a great mail app. Especially the anti tracking feature is very nice. So I was almost in shock when I read about stopping development. With Google being so difficult / unclear, it seems like a good plan to drop the Playstore distribution. This is costing you so much energy now...
Oh by the way, I had downloaded and updated the app via F-Droid. Up until the day before yesterday, I was still on a very old version o_O:cool: (can't figure out which one). What a difference was version 1.899 that I downloaded from GitHub. Cool to see all the (visual) changes.

Reactions: kozmo2k4

ryan77627

Aug 29, 2018
Just to add on to everyone else here, the negative people always seem to have a greater voice, for one reason or another. Just wanted to leave my message here as well to try and offset that. Here's the message I put into the form when re-activating the pro features.

I already supported through Google Play but had to reset my device. Very sad development is stopping, but after reading through XDA I understand and respect the decision. Just wanted you to know that I personally (along with the Linux user group I'm part of) love this app greatly. So, even with the negative reviews you talk about, know you have supporters who greatly respect the time you put into this app for us all these years.

_mat_

Jun 25, 2013
To native English speakers, is this proper English?

• Configuration information will be looked up at the email server and at autoconfig.thunderbird.net using the entered email address
  • Google presumably doesn't allow online icons for privacy reasons
I would use "fetched from" instead of "looked up at". But I am no native speaker 😉

Reactions: M66B

Top Liked Posts

Version 1.1930 is available on GitHub now.

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/releases

If you enable debug mode (last option of the miscellaneous settings tab page), it is possible to enable the option "Fake dark", in the debug panel, which uses a custom algorithmic dark mode (on all Android versions for now). I would like you to test if this works okay for all messages.

@zinjashike sort on sender will show email addresses and names (if available) with the version.
    Apparently there's a while field of science behind the question of what colors are perceived as light / bright. This article is interesting on the topic:

But this should work too, I think. In the worst case, we can send a few emails with different background colors in a test version before you push an official release. Just to be certain.
    FairEmail already adjusts colors for the reformatted message view, using magic science ;-)

For now I am going to wait what Google says about forcing dark mode. It would be better if the browser did this instead of manipulating the HTML. Maybe I I'll leave it like it is, which means that there will be a message that Google removed dark mode for Android before version 10. Let's say that reviews are not very motivating to workaround Google's decision this problem.
    (...) I would like you to test if this works okay for all messages.
    Android 10.
    So far so good 👍🏽
    Version 1.1923 1.1924 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:

The option to suppress notifications while on a call (recently added) has been replaced by delaying notifications until after having ended the call instead. This way there isn't a risk that important new messages will be missed or seen too late. This option is available on Android 12 and later only because earlier Android versions do not have the requires APIs.
    Version 1.1906 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:

Thanks @Rtxda for testing!
    Quite some people asked my opinion about Thunderbird / K9 mail joining.

I wish them good luck because we need privacy friendly apps. The author of K9 mail seems a nice guy to me, and even contributed a few lines of code and some constructive feedback to FairEmail. I hope he'll find a nice place in the Mozilla organization.

That said, the concept of FairEmail is somewhat different than of Thunderbird / K9 mail. One of the things I read about is deep integration between the Thunderbird desktop / mobile app. The concept of FairEmail is to be standalone and not to depend on any service. Maybe in some way the apps are competitors, depending on the way you look at them, but in the end the goal is similar, offering a decent and privacy friendly app, at least I hope that this keeps being the goal of Mozilla. Of course a lot more can be said, but the apps just have a different character, which you might or might not like.
    Version 1.1907 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:
    Version 1.1914 1.1915 is available on GitHub now.

Changelog/download:

All changes required or desired for Android 13 have been done now.
    Now that this has been done and given my personal situation, there will be bug fix releases only for now.
    ic_launcher.png

FairEmail
    Open source, privacy friendly email app for Android

banner7_long.png

See here for a description:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/

See here for screenshots:
    https://email.faircode.eu/#screenshots

Downloads:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email#user-content-downloads

Frequently asked questions:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/blob/master/FAQ.md

Please read this before requesting a new feature:
    https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/FAQ.md#user-content-get-support

This XDA thread is about using the latest version of FairEmail.

For support on authorizing an account you should consult the documentation of your provider, see also here.

Off topic comments are allowed as long they are related to FairEmail and are in the general interest of the followers of this thread.

Discussion of purchases is not allowed here, please contact me via here instead.
    How was the call with Google today, Marcel?

Google was pretty friendly and cooperative and told me the favicons are indeed the problem, and it can/should be fixed by updating in the privacy policy to "disclose how your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares user data":

Privacy Policy​

All apps must post a privacy policy in both the designated field in Play Console and within the app itself. The privacy policy must, together with any in-app disclosures, comprehensively disclose how your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares user data, not limited by the data disclosed in the Data Safety section. This must include:
    • developer information and a privacy point of contact or a mechanism to submit inquiries
    • disclosing the types of personal and sensitive user data your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares; and any parties with which any personal or sensitive user data is shared
    • secure data handling procedures for personal and sensitive user data
    • the developer’s data retention and deletion policy
    • clear labeling as a privacy policy (e.g., listed as “privacy policy” in title)
    The entity (e.g., developer, company) named in the app’s Google Play listing must appear in the privacy policy or the app must be named in the privacy policy. Apps that do not access any personal and sensitive user data must still submit a privacy policy.

Please make sure your privacy policy is available on an active URL (no PDFs) and is non-editable.

So, I have updated the privacy policy and added this new table:

https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/PRIVACY.md#summary-of-shared-data

I am not sure if it covers everything, so feedback is more than welcome. @mkasimd maybe you can take a look?

Note that I have also enabled BIMI, Gravatars, Libravatars and favicons for the Play store version again.

The short term goal is to release a Play store test version (and associated GitHub version) and to get the update approved. I will think about the next steps after this has been accomplished. Given the huge number of supportive messages I received (much appreciated!) the project will be continued in some form in any case.
    Version 1.1900 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval (which is the main goal of this release).

Changelog/download:

My girlfriend is slowly recovering too :)
    It is time for a new, modern, open source, privacy friendly email client for Android.

I have just released a first alpha version for feedback on the design and features.

Not for production use yet!

Most of the stuff basically works, but be prepared for crashes and error notifications.

Safe email is a working name, but it is for several reasons not a convenient name, so suggestions for a name are welcome.
    I have just released alpha version 0.15

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/releases

With a bit of luck the next version can be a beta version.

I am putting a lot of effort into this project, so thanks are appreciated.