[APP][5.0+] FairEmail - Fully featured, open source, privacy oriented email app

Search This thread

Dakkaron

Jan 13, 2013
I'd say, publish those idiots' email address and we'll take care of it.

Bad strategy tips aside, I've been using Netguard for many years now, and I almost forced anyone I know to install it as well. It's an amazing app! If there is no other place to get it from, I'll compile it myself and distribute the apk, if it has to be ;)

I don't want to imagine using Android without it. I even installed it on my Oculus Quest 2.

Thanks so much for your amazing work!

I totally understand why you pulled your apps. If you stop now, I'll be thankful for what you did.

bruno.mercier

Feb 6, 2017
Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Best mail tool, plenty of options and possibilities. And twice I had some questions, and was answered in the day or the next day, which is quite incredible.
Very very sorry if you drop it, but you have to do as you feel is best for you...
Whatever your decision, thx for all...

Reactions: chris122380

fraschi51

Mar 17, 2016
I haven't had a chance to read through all your new material but maybe add a support disclaimer that states harassment or threatening emails will void any kind of support.
I think it's clear to most people anyway that they won't get any support after sending hateful or insulting mails - sure, if it's written somewhere you can refer to it in case of doubt. But I think that the senders of such mails don't want any support in the first place, they just want to "stink".
By the way, most of such hateful or insulting statements come only from the inability and envy of the sender that he could never create such a great work as the recipient.

fraschi51

Mar 17, 2016
While caring for my girlfriend I receive a series of death threats :-(
The senders of such death threats are obviously too stupid to understand that this would not solve their problem, but on the contrary would be even "worse".

Edit: By the way, I thought Elon Musk's reaction to such statements was quite good. I think he said, "If at some point I should die suddenly and unexpectedly or under mysterious circumstances, you'll know about it."

Last edited:

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I think it's clear to most people anyway that they won't get any support after sending hateful or insulting mails - sure, if it's written somewhere you can refer to it in case of doubt. But I think that the senders of such mails don't want any support in the first place, they just want to "stink".
By the way, most of such hateful or insulting statements come only from the inability and envy of the sender that he could never create such a great work as the recipient.
I have added this to the contact form:

Unreasonable and rude messages won't be answered.

May 23, 2022
Wow, it's disgusting that Google just bans apps like this one for no good reason. I applaud you and the amazing job that you've done in developing this app. You are a legend and my hat goes off to you! And remember one thing:

GOOGLE IS EVIL!

hakaishi

Dec 28, 2012
Yokkaichi
I was just thinking to maybe just release updates on GitHub, but that plan is going right into the trash can after this 1 star Play store review:

Link.

Edit: maybe the first of the review is right and I am not suitable for this project.
Who wouldn't care about bad reviews? Our hearts are not made of stone.
OSS developers care for the community, are part of the community. If such ignorant comments were the common, any dev would want to quit.
They should be thankful that devs listen to user voices. There are many that don't listen much.

It saddens me that people can be that cold blooded and ignorant.
Devs put much love and time into their projects. Just look at where we would be without them. A world consisting of Apple and Microsoft without much anything else.

Marcel, you don't have to take this to heart. This kind of people don't even understand what they are saying. They don't appreciate anything and take it all for a given. They believe that their opinion is right and try to place it over everything else. If you were to drop your efforts it will be a great loss for many people who love and appreciate your work. Not many might be donating, but most do think that it would be worth it. I myself still have a loan to pay back. But when that is over, I will be donating from time to time to many projects. SimpleLogin, Disroot, SimpleMobileTools and also to projects as yours. I place your app even above the Tutanota app. It might not support E2EE in the way that Tutanota does, but then again, I feel safer opening Emails in your app than with Tutanota or any other app.
You can be very proud of such a very detailed Email app. It's very rich and there are no other apps like it.
Just concentrate on the important stuff and ignore the play-store comments as far as possible. Any child or even bot could comment there. Don't take that to heart. They just don't know any better than to make things bad.

Cheers,

Hakaishi

bruno.mercier

Feb 6, 2017
Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Seems normal that not everybody is pleased with all parts of an app or globally the app.
But nodody is forced to use it!!!
You don't like it, well you move away. That seems sensible.

But some people just feel they can say whatever they want on Internet with no buffer, no second thought, no limit!
Sadly there is not much against that
Marcel I think most people appreciate your work, and you must concentrate of that:
The good is much higher than the bad... and if the bad is unreasonable... well, let it go

Reactions: hakaishi

si1

Nov 21, 2016
Dear Marcel,
I use the Pro versions of FairEmail and Netguard for a couple of years now, for me both are excellent pieces of software and perfect examples for good open source projects. I hope you will change your mind and continue the development of both apps - even on a reduced level of effort (bug fixes, adaption to new Android versions). This would be extremely useful for the community of security-aware users.
If the "google play store" door stays closed, please distribute your apps over other channels (like fdroid). I can imagine that people who recognize the value of your software will also switch from Google to alternative stores.

Thank you and all the best for you and your beloved ones!

Reactions: hakaishi

sssubito

Nov 7, 2015
Who of you is impotent? (Warning: explicit language):

Stopping the App? <bleep> you and your girlfriend you Sick child <bleep>. I know where you live and i'll come and Hurt you!
Such threats are likely illegal in your country and others too and if you want, you could report it to the police. The idiots who write such threats feel safe to do without consequences. But if they can be traced back it's going to be expensive for them and suddenly they turn to crybabies. Some people are just sick. Don't let them penetrate you, that's their sole goal to get into your mind.
I haven't received such threats, so can't really say what that must feel like. To imagine it is not the same. All I know is, I wouldn't let them go away with this and I would file a police case. I live in Germany and there is some raise of awareness against hate speech and police and justice actually doing something against it. Maybe only a very small percentage of cases will be tracked down and the haters punished. But it will likely show haters that they might not go away with such threats.

I picked today a few messages for illustration purposes. This kind of messages might seem to be related to the moment, and there are of course more than usual, and they are also harsher than usual, but this is what I mean by daily hate email, going on for years already.
Those who are impulsive to throw harsh or even worser words at you, don't understand that you are not their dev slave. They don't understand that they still can access the app from the Play Store even when now new users can't see it anymore there. They just don't understand a lot of things and frankly Marcel, you shouldn't care so much about such jerks.
From the bottom of my happy FE Pro user's heart I wish you could apply some sort of vigorous filter mechanism for your own peace of mind: worse threats are reported to the police, everything else just ignore and delete. Get that bullsh*t off your head and mindset.

I repeat: report those cases to the police if you want to, maybe one of them will be tracked down and prosecuted accordingly. Otherwise, ignore and delete. Those ill-minded jerks just want to get into your head. Don't let them... (yeah, I know, easier said then done, but as a developer you need to implement defense walls against such things, because I'd assume that every dev gets such sh*t, regardless of what they do).

Not sure if I can reflect your personal frustration from such bad things, but my point is that one should not let those bad things come close to your own core.

Even when now bad comments rise due to the new situation, as long as the majority of comments are OK or even nice, you can feel proud of your (software) babies. Ignore the rants, the jerks, the bullshit: don't feed the trolls! Never feed the trolls! If you don't let them to your core, they have NO power over you!

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Who of you is impotent? (Warning: explicit language):

Stopping the App? <bleep> you and your girlfriend you Sick child <bleep>. I know where you live and i'll come and Hurt you!

I picked today a few messages for illustration purposes. This kind of messages might seem to be related to the moment, and there are of course more than usual, and they are also harsher than usual, but this is what I mean by daily hate email, going on for years already.

I need to add that the vast majority of the messages is rather nice, some being extremely nice. I try to answer most messages, but with a rate of a few dozens per hours that's not very easy. Don't let that withhold you to say something nice though.

@M66B have you received any such messages here on XDA? We take threats very seriously; messages like these are grounds for a permanent ban.

AG3S

May 23, 2022
@M66B
I know that you mentioned before that no one will never get money with selling software.

I have a question, why don't you make it like a subscription service ?

If the price would be fair, I believe many of the users would pay for it. At least it would be a small help to you to make sense to keep this project alive!

AG3S

May 23, 2022
@M66B
I know that you mentioned before that no one will never get money with selling software.

I have a question, why don't you make it like a subscription service ?

If the price would be fair, I believe many of the users would pay for it. At least it would be a small help to you to make sense to keep this project alive!
For example via F-Droid or your own website and PayPal or Stripe subscriptions

Reactions: nadir husain

Top Liked Posts

When moving messages from the Inbox to other folders I use the recently used folders, the 5 indirect folders and the three quick (direct) folders which are very useful. I understand that the 3 quick folders are generated from recent usage.

When moving a message I accidently cleared the 3 quick folders by touching the delete button. I know that this was my fault and the quick folders will be regenerated, but it would be useful to be asked to confirm the deletion (or at least have this as an option).

Chris
    A confirmation would require a dialog on top of a dialog, which is something I am trying to avoid.
    The app will 'learn' the most used move targets again, so I don't see this as an important thing.
    QUESTION ABOUT FAIR EMAIL OPTIONS:
    Assuming the starting point of no on-device Google Account...

Q: Which of these Fair Email Google mail server options is "most" private?

1. 2SV/2FA (using any of a half dozen secondary methods), or,
    2. What Fair Email terms "GMail (Android)", or,
    3. What Fair Email terms "GMail (OAuth)".

Note Marcel knows the answer, so he can instantly nip this tangent in the bud by answering that question in a single word... (where I suspect the answer is undoubtably #3 but others strongly think it's #1 apparently, so I could be wrong - but it's NEVER gonna be #2.

The desired single word answer is "none". Google scans all your messages and you can only hope that the gathered information isn't used in an un-private way. Option 1 (assumed to be app passwords) and option 3 do not send extra information to Google. Option 2 requires an on-device Google account. You can control the sync options of a Google account via the Android settings. If these options work as expected and are turned off, no information should be sent to Google. This applies to all other Google services and apps, like Maps and Drive, too. You'll need to go into the settings and turn things off and trust that Google honors this.

I expect to see no more messages about this subject anymore, with no exceptions for anyone. If you want to continue discussing about this, you should create a new XDA thread for this.
    The next version will have optionally VirusTotal integration, so you can check attachments easily:

Screenshot_20220723-102554.png
    That guy really needs his email. I wonder who he thinks will maintain the app after he killed you 🤔
    Given the messages I just received I am pretty sure this guy is reading here.

To this guy: I am doing my best to hold this project together and what you are doing isn't helping, on the contrary. Instead, if the app is dear to you, you can better help and complain to the right people, mainly Google.
    Version 1.1941 is available on GitHub now.

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/releases

Besides a series of small improvements and minor bug fixes, VirusTotal Integration was added. Please see this FAQ for more information about configuring and using this new feature:

(181) How do I use VirusTotal?

Note that the app hasn't been restored in the Play store yet. For the latest status updates, please see here:

Using a Gmail account in FairEmail will inevitably leak your IP address, and thus your rough location, but nothing else, except the obvious: the messages you receive and sent and their meta data (sender, receiver, subject, etc).

Note that it is not a good idea to use a VPN to hide your IP address because you'll probably run into "Please log in via your web browser" at an inconvenient moment.

For HOTP and TOTP I recommend FreeOTP+.

I think enough has been said about the privacy aspects of a Google account now. Whether a Google account on your device is a privacy concern or not is off-topic here. If you want to keep discussing about this, please create another XDA thread for this. You can leave a link to the created thread here if you wish.
    ic_launcher.png

FairEmail
    Open source, privacy friendly email app for Android

banner7_long.png

See here for a description:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/

See here for screenshots:
    https://email.faircode.eu/#screenshots

Downloads:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email#user-content-downloads

Frequently asked questions:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/blob/master/FAQ.md

Please read this before requesting a new feature:
    https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/FAQ.md#user-content-get-support

This XDA thread is about using the latest version of FairEmail.

For support on authorizing an account you should consult the documentation of your provider, see also here.

Off topic comments are allowed as long they are related to FairEmail and are in the general interest of the followers of this thread.

Discussion of purchases is not allowed here, please contact me via here instead.
    How was the call with Google today, Marcel?

Google was pretty friendly and cooperative and told me the favicons are indeed the problem, and it can/should be fixed by updating in the privacy policy to "disclose how your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares user data":

Privacy Policy​

All apps must post a privacy policy in both the designated field in Play Console and within the app itself. The privacy policy must, together with any in-app disclosures, comprehensively disclose how your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares user data, not limited by the data disclosed in the Data Safety section. This must include:
    • developer information and a privacy point of contact or a mechanism to submit inquiries
    • disclosing the types of personal and sensitive user data your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares; and any parties with which any personal or sensitive user data is shared
    • secure data handling procedures for personal and sensitive user data
    • the developer’s data retention and deletion policy
    • clear labeling as a privacy policy (e.g., listed as “privacy policy” in title)
    The entity (e.g., developer, company) named in the app’s Google Play listing must appear in the privacy policy or the app must be named in the privacy policy. Apps that do not access any personal and sensitive user data must still submit a privacy policy.

Please make sure your privacy policy is available on an active URL (no PDFs) and is non-editable.

So, I have updated the privacy policy and added this new table:

https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/PRIVACY.md#summary-of-shared-data

I am not sure if it covers everything, so feedback is more than welcome. @mkasimd maybe you can take a look?

Note that I have also enabled BIMI, Gravatars, Libravatars and favicons for the Play store version again.

The short term goal is to release a Play store test version (and associated GitHub version) and to get the update approved. I will think about the next steps after this has been accomplished. Given the huge number of supportive messages I received (much appreciated!) the project will be continued in some form in any case.
    Version 1.1900 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval (which is the main goal of this release).

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/releases

My girlfriend is slowly recovering too :)
    It is time for a new, modern, open source, privacy friendly email client for Android.

I have just released a first alpha version for feedback on the design and features.

Not for production use yet!

Most of the stuff basically works, but be prepared for crashes and error notifications.

Safe email is a working name, but it is for several reasons not a convenient name, so suggestions for a name are welcome.
    I have just released alpha version 0.15

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/releases

With a bit of luck the next version can be a beta version.

I am putting a lot of effort into this project, so thanks are appreciated.