[APP][5.0+] FairEmail - Fully featured, open source, privacy oriented email app

Search This thread

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
@M66B
I know that you mentioned before that no one will never get money with selling software.

I have a question, why don't you make it like a subscription service ?

If the price would be fair, I believe many of the users would pay for it. At least it would be a small help to you to make sense to keep this project alive!
I will probably decide what to do after Google's phone call tomorrow.

heisert

Jan 24, 2015
Hamburg
Argl subscription service. He said the bad word! I never will paid for an app a subscription. He can raise the price, ok, but subscriptionfor an app. brrrrrr

edit: double post. sorry

Reactions: sssubito

hakaishi

Dec 28, 2012
Yokkaichi
I'm mostly developing for Debian/Ubuntu, so I don't get this kind of threatening mails. On the other hand my email address is known everywhere. I'm receiving tons of spam and even black mails threatening me to pay money and things. Everything unrelated to my projects though, but mostly because my mail address is public on Debian and thus to many other platforms as well.
Actually, I sometimes enjoy to see them. Laughing my ass off that they can't do anything because of FairEmail removing everything for me. Their data is very old and outdated as well.
For example saying that they got videos of me, when I never let my webcam plugged in when not actually using it.
Being privacy conscious has many benefits 😇

If I were in your shoes, I guess I'd either go to the police & also contact google about it, or I'd just drop the play-store stuff. You don't need to depend on that. It might reach more people, but why need to reach people who don't feel any gratitude and just think they can do whatever they want to.

AG3S

May 23, 2022
Argl subscription service. He said the bad word!
Why not if is it fair?!! that is the problem of the privacy world... we need to pay for what is good!!!

We do agree to pay for all games and other apps which tones of trackers but when it comes to great apps like an email client which we use on a daily basis... and personally my life depends on it.

I would recommend having different plans with different functions. basic and pro.

I really wish you decide to keep supporting this software. A fair yearly subscription would be GREAT!

I installed Fairmail from F-Droid and after one day of using it I paid for the the pro version (via a donation). I love this app ... and it will be a huge loss for me :(

K9 has no chance over Fairmail!!!!!!

AG3S

May 23, 2022
I'm really curious if google will contact @M66B tomorrow. and what they have to say about the whole (bad/joke) "sending contacts" / spyware story.
I hear you regarding the subscription... but sometimes to support a developer we as the users should step up... I am donating to Thunderbird a few Euros a month although I am not using it... I know it is not much but such small donations might keep these projects to keep on going...

heisert

Jan 24, 2015
Hamburg
I hear you regarding the subscription... but sometimes to support a developer we as the users should step up... I am donating to Thunderbird a few Euros a month although I am not using it... I know it is not much but such small donations might keep these projects to keep on going...

I bought Enpass for 65€ for one time purchase while i hate subscriptons. Price isnt my point. I dont like Subscriptions. I could have it for free if i get the Google Play Pass but this was a Subscription too :p.
U got my Point? I do donating too when i like the project.

But i think the money wasnt the real problem bout fairemail atm. (it is google & some idiots with unfair reviews)

Last edited:
Reactions: drnightshadow

heisert

Jan 24, 2015
Hamburg
@V0latyle good point. Why some Users post bad comments or email the dev with hate for a "open source" Email Client which in itself is free. Thats complete mad! When they bought the Pro license for a few euros you can insult people, or threaten violance? maybe iam to old but I can no longer understand people today.

ot: really bad time where we live right now (corona,war etc.)

Last edited:

Will_T

Oct 23, 2013
@M66B
I would pay double the Pro fee annually and be happy if you get the Play Store censure figured out. Hopefully they will let you know tomorrow some specifics.

You might then have to go to personal support only for the subscriptions. And then let users in this thread answer questions for new users of the free version.

And, you will have to figure out if you can let the Play Store reviews not bother you as much. As has been said dozens of times in this thread, some people are not reasonable and to make life enjoyable, you need to ignore the unreasonableness. Even if this means the app review rating drops, that does not matter. There is really no way to keep an app rated at 4.7 or 4.8 without a lot of undeserved stress. And I don't think an app with a 4.7 rating has anymore credibility than an app with a 4.1 rating. For me if an app is rated over 4.0, I consider it and then read reviews. Users are smart enough to filter out the stupid reviews from their consideration. Especially since you respond to them with an explanation.

But all this is contingent upon you decided what is right for you. If you are no longer happy working and supporting any project like this, or if it just does not suit you any longer, then nothing short of turning it over to someone else will keep it viable in the long term. And nothing other than that will make you happpy.

Last edited:

sssubito

Nov 7, 2015
@M66B
I know that you mentioned before that no one will never get money with selling software.

If the price would be fair, I believe many of the users would pay for it. At least it would be a small help to you to make sense to keep this project alive!
I prefer to avoid subscriptions whenever possible because that usually means you don't "own" the software anymore that you "purchased". And as @heisert I hate software subscriptions, regardless of fair price. If FE would change to a subscription model I'd sadly have to leave it behind, maybe, depends, sh*t, I'm kind of dependent on FE. I wouldn't like the need to search for something as good as it is.

And with a subscription model a developer likely has more obligations to deliver at least "something" regularly (e.g. in the case of Adobe a whole bucket of new bugs, vulnerabilities, ..., well and some little improvements maybe, too). In the past I thought Adobe Flash is really crappy security nightmare, now it's Adobe alone.
I can't shine with experience as I'm no developer but I bet with subscriptions the amount of bad reactions from users would rise, the expectations would be different and probably more toxic.

I haven't read the whole thread here, so it might have been discussed already. I wouldn't mind if FE were not for free but that would've excluded it from XDA as @V0latyle pointed out. Not sure if a paid app would give fewer toxic reactions from morons who think a free app comes with life-long support and a personal dev slave. Unfortunately we live in an online world where stupids would buy a software just to complain about something and immediately cry for a refund (which an app store will likely grant them within some bounds).

Last edited:
Reactions: WiraHy and nubla

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I prefer to avoid subscriptions whenever possible because that usually means you don't "own" the software anymore that you "purchased". And as @heisert I hate software subscriptions, regardless of fair price. If FE would change to a subscription model I'd sadly have to leave it behind, maybe, depends, sh*t, I'm kind of dependent on FE. I wouldn't like the need to search for something as good as it is.

And with a subscription model a developer likely has more obligations to deliver at least "something" regularly (e.g. in the case of Adobe a whole bucket of new bugs, vulnerabilities, ..., well and some little improvements maybe, too). In the past I thought Adobe Flash is really crappy security nightmare, now it's Adobe alone.
I can't shine with experience as I'm no developer but I bet with subscriptions the amount of bad reactions from users would rise, the expectations would be different and probably more toxic.

I haven't read the whole thread here, so it might have been discussed already. I wouldn't mind if FE were not for free but that would've excluded it from XDA as @V0latyle pointed out. Not sure if a paid app would give fewer toxic reactions from morons who think a free app comes with life-long support and a personal dev slave. Unfortunately we live in an online world where stupids would buy a software just to complain about something and immediately cry for a refund (which an app store will likely grant them within some bounds).
I don't mean this in a bad way, if money was the sole motivating factor, I might not even have started the project at all, but it sounds hypocritical that you hate subscriptions, you go even as far to say that you would leave the app behind for it, and that you on the other hand are depending on the app. Don't you want support if something doesn't work? Don't you want the app to be updated for new Android versions, which your next device might run? In other words, don't you want the app at least to be maintained and supported, and the room for improvement to be used?

Again, I don't mean this in a bad way. It just seems to me that you are mad because of bad behavior of others. That doesn't mean that everybody will behave in the same way.

hugox

Mar 7, 2016
LG Optimus G
LG G Pad 8.3
Hi @M66B,

First thing, I wish all the best for your girlfriend. Nothing is more important than our loved ones.

This situation is a very sad news to me, but it seems that Google is targeting a lot of apps that help us, users, to not be dependable of Google apps.

When I was looking for an email app, with privacy in mind, to be able to not use GMAIL/Outlook apps with my accounts outside that ecosystem I was almost giving up, no valid alternative in my opinion. But then I found FE in F-Droid, and what an amazing app, everything and more than I needed. I looked the works of the developer, and with that I new that I could really trust this app and that it would be one of the best apps for our devices and one, of the must have, apps for all of Us that care for privacy.

So thank you @M66B so much for all you effort, work, dedication and passion. Even in this relentless "fight" with Google, even after saying that you would step aside, shows your passion and how much you value your work and ideals. We really need of a more @M66B out there.

About the idea of subscription or only a paid version, one thing that I believe is that most of the privacy advocates share at their hearts, is to make this apps at reach of many users as possible, hopping that their support to developer allows for the app to stay alive and to be available as free, in some sort, for those that don't have the economic possibilities at that moment.
Making these privacy-oriented apps only available through payments sadly will make that those who can't afford have no choice but to use the big Corps that we try to avoid. But when that's the only viable way....

Sorry for any mistakes, English is not my maternal language has you could see.

@M66B thanks once again for everything, I believe how hard must be to read those Emails/Reviews/Comments when doing something with such passion and intention to share it with the ones that supposedly would have, at part the same vision regarding privacy. But, for the rest of Us, we can't thank YOU enough.

norbusan

Mar 20, 2016
Long time pro user and patreon sponsor here. I would miss FairEmail a lot, thanks for all your work Marcel @M66B but I completely understand and support your decision.

ReevaluateAdNauseam

Nov 16, 2020
Hi Marcel,

First, thank you for all the time and dedication, and for your unrelenting striving for perfection, which is only matched by a very, very few other developers. Your software trumps in quality and breadth of features everything else out there - no question about it. And you do it by yourself. My hat goes off to you sir!
I have bought multiple licences for FairEmail, as well as sent larger contributions, simply because to my mind the asking price is way too modest. As much as I avoid subscriptions, if you decide to go this route, you will have my full support! If a large lump sum ($100 or more) is feasible for a lifetime license, I will gladly do that. If you chose to implement annual or monthly subscription, I will have your back. I just hope with all my heart that FairEmail won't be abandoned.
As far as Google goes - they are disgusting, borderline criminal bureaucrats, hellbent on smearing and destroying any truly privacy preserving software. I don't use Google for anything - whenever there is a chance - I buy my applications straight from the developer. I realize this puts me in a (growing) minority. I know that Google will eventually drop their baseless, vicious, slanderous attack and reinstate the app. Even so, I can't help the feeling that your app is too good for the Google Play Store. I know, I know - the vast majority of downloads are from there, but think of all the people that have already discovered the app, fallen in love with it and are ready to follow you outside of Google Play. Folks that appreciate the app will buy it again, none of that "I don't want to lose my GP store license" nonsense.
Also, many others have said it before me, but I will join in - don't be discouraged by the "reviews" of stupid, incoherent, moronic, two-bit nobodies. If you were a bit more arrogant, I believe you would dismiss and despise them, but you are very gentle and noble, so you suffer needlessly.
People who understand how lucky we are to have someone like you are the ones who fully support you, the others - to hell with them.
I wish all the best to you and your girlfriend!
Thanks.

Privacy1

May 24, 2022
Marcel/M66B, thanks for all your support and development. You did what you loved, which is creating privacy-focused tools/projects and you were very good at it, I use Netguard to this day and will continue to use it on my android 7. When I sent you a low priority email, I didn't even expect such a quick response, This shows that you are someone who cares about the end user. But today all this support, emails, doubts, the problem with Google, the situation of your girlfriend, the lack of financial support, made you discouraged and you are right, I support your idea, you need time, life , support for yourself, develop you and your family. I love Netguard and I didn't want him to die like that, but he's part of your story, he's part of you. And you need time, peace and life. I am unemployed, but I will support Netguard soon. I created an Xda account just to answer you. Hugs from Brazil and sorry for my English.

sssubito

Nov 7, 2015
I don't mean this in a bad way, if money was the sole motivating factor, I might not even have started the project at all, but it sounds hypocritical that you hate subscriptions, you go even as far to say that you would leave the app behind for it, and that you on the other hand are depending on the app. Don't you want support if something doesn't work? Don't you want the app to be updated for new Android versions, which your next device might run? In other words, don't you want the app at least to be maintained and supported, and the room for improvement to be used?

Again, I don't mean this in a bad way. It just seems to me that you are mad because of bad behavior of others. That doesn't mean that everybody will behave in the same way.
Being dependent on FE was probably a bit exaggerated. For me It's simply the best there is and I'd be very much not amused to not have it. I don't see a fit replacement for it on the market.

As I already said, I don't like (hate might have been too much, not sure) software subscriptions because this usually implies that you just rent the software and don't own it. If you have to stop paying the subscription for whatever reason, you usually can't use the app anymore (or it's usually crippled beyond usability).

Yes, I'd appreciate support and maintenance of the app. I'd be willing to pay more for a paid app version, if that pays off for the dev's sustained app support. But I don't know what the best way is for a happy app dev.

Yes, I am sad and even mad at ill-minded people who frustrate you with very bad behavior (I feel like this gets worse and worse which is even more sad) and the Google robots that force you into a vogonian burocracy-like treadmill with the so far outcome that you as dev have decided to stop further development. I respect your decission. It might not be your final word (I hope so) but for now it is what it is. Frankly, I am not happy with that and likely no one is who likes to use your apps.

What matters most is that your girlfriend gets better because health and life are the most precious things. You might need a brake to get over toxic people and trolls and maybe Google. Wish you a good call today with Google.

ignoramous

Sep 22, 2012
@M66B

(a fellow android firewall developer here)

You are an inspiration to a generation of NetGuard/FairEmail users and developers like me.

Do what you feel comfortable with.

Please don't let the _abuse_ get to you. You don't deserve it. Especially, after all these years of development effort and technical support.

My sincere hope is you reinstate the apps and find a way to make it a financially viable endeavour.

No matter what, you'll always be our hero.

Top Liked Posts

Version 1.1973 is available on GitHub now and via the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/releases
    The next version will have a new option in the miscellaneous settings tab page to automatically check the message text with LanguageTool after each new line.

Preview version:
    https://bitbucket.org/M66B/fairemail-test/downloads/FairEmail-v1.1973b-github-preview-release.apk
    That's a really nice feature! I'm using their browser add-on since a few months, and it's very helpful. Thanks!
    The preview version also has a new option for a custom server URI, so you can run your own server, for example with Docker:

This way people dealing with sensitive messages can use LanguageTool too.
    The next version will have a new option in the miscellaneous settings tab page to automatically check the message text with LanguageTool after each new line.

Preview version:
    https://bitbucket.org/M66B/fairemail-test/downloads/FairEmail-v1.1973b-github-preview-release.apk
    That's a really nice feature! I'm using their browser add-on since a few months, and it's very helpful. Thanks!
    In the spirit of giving presents on your birthday: the next version will allow you to query the whois information in the link confirmation dialog. Example:

1662284115539.png
    Version 1.1969 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/Download:

There is a new set of Material You themes (Android 12+) where the primary and accent color are the same.
    The next version will warn for potentially dangerous attachments by using a warning color and a bold font type. When sending a message, the send dialog will show a warning as well (which can be ignored).

This list of file extensions is being used for this:

Preview version:

https://bitbucket.org/M66B/fairemail-test/downloads/FairEmail-v1.1966a-github-attachment-warn-release.apk

Screenshot_20220918-080718.png

Screenshot_20220917-223752.png
    The next version of the app will add 'Select block' to the copy/paste menu, which will extend the current selection to a block of text (consecutive lines). IMHO this should be a standard Android feature.
    Version 1.1964 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:

Whois: tap on a link, in the link confirmation dialog, tap on 'More options', tap on the 'Whois' button. Edit: this isn't available in the Play store version.
    ic_launcher.png

FairEmail
    Open source, privacy friendly email app for Android

banner7_long.png

See here for a description:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/

See here for screenshots:
    https://email.faircode.eu/#screenshots

Downloads:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email#user-content-downloads

Frequently asked questions:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/blob/master/FAQ.md

Please read this before requesting a new feature:
    https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/FAQ.md#user-content-get-support

This XDA thread is about using the latest version of FairEmail.

For support on authorizing an account you should consult the documentation of your provider, see also here.

Off topic comments are allowed as long they are related to FairEmail and are in the general interest of the followers of this thread.

Discussion of purchases is not allowed here, please contact me via here instead.
    How was the call with Google today, Marcel?

Google was pretty friendly and cooperative and told me the favicons are indeed the problem, and it can/should be fixed by updating in the privacy policy to "disclose how your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares user data":

Privacy Policy​

All apps must post a privacy policy in both the designated field in Play Console and within the app itself. The privacy policy must, together with any in-app disclosures, comprehensively disclose how your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares user data, not limited by the data disclosed in the Data Safety section. This must include:
    • developer information and a privacy point of contact or a mechanism to submit inquiries
    • disclosing the types of personal and sensitive user data your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares; and any parties with which any personal or sensitive user data is shared
    • secure data handling procedures for personal and sensitive user data
    • the developer’s data retention and deletion policy
    • clear labeling as a privacy policy (e.g., listed as “privacy policy” in title)
    The entity (e.g., developer, company) named in the app’s Google Play listing must appear in the privacy policy or the app must be named in the privacy policy. Apps that do not access any personal and sensitive user data must still submit a privacy policy.

Please make sure your privacy policy is available on an active URL (no PDFs) and is non-editable.

So, I have updated the privacy policy and added this new table:

https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/PRIVACY.md#summary-of-shared-data

I am not sure if it covers everything, so feedback is more than welcome. @mkasimd maybe you can take a look?

Note that I have also enabled BIMI, Gravatars, Libravatars and favicons for the Play store version again.

The short term goal is to release a Play store test version (and associated GitHub version) and to get the update approved. I will think about the next steps after this has been accomplished. Given the huge number of supportive messages I received (much appreciated!) the project will be continued in some form in any case.
    Version 1.1900 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval (which is the main goal of this release).

Changelog/download:

My girlfriend is slowly recovering too :)
    It is time for a new, modern, open source, privacy friendly email client for Android.

I have just released a first alpha version for feedback on the design and features.

Not for production use yet!

Most of the stuff basically works, but be prepared for crashes and error notifications.

Safe email is a working name, but it is for several reasons not a convenient name, so suggestions for a name are welcome.
    I have just released alpha version 0.15

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/releases

With a bit of luck the next version can be a beta version.

I am putting a lot of effort into this project, so thanks are appreciated.