[APP][5.0+] FairEmail - Fully featured, open source, privacy oriented email app

Search This thread

30jp

Sep 25, 2020
So, how do I deal with reviews like this?

I would like to have seen a reason and even better being contacted for help, but instead it is just shooting down and not getting any chance.

In any case, this is why I am still a bit hesitant to restore the app in the Play store, which I will do probably anyway, possible at the end of this day or tomorrow morning.
Ignore.
If they don't say why FairEmail is so bad, just ignore it.
Or give a standard answer along the lines of:
"Dear .... I'm sorry you're not happy with FairEmail, but if you don't explain why FairEmail is so bad, then I can't help you as the developer of the app.
Too bad because I would have loved to do that.
Sincerely"

Stay friendly and keep it short and sweet.
New people who want to use FairEmail and read this think, hey stupid review with friendly helpful response from the developer. I want to try that app.

NorLa

May 20, 2022
M66B said:

My experience is absolutely awful. 1 star

Such reviews without justification are annoying, but you can't really prevent them - don't worry! Only those who take the trouble to get to know FairEmail will realize what a fantastic app it is.

If you want to respond to it at all, it might be like this: "Too bad you're having a problem with FairEmail - please tell me what the problem is, only then can I help you solve it."

Even if you don't get a response to that, others will see that you responded and offered help. Personally, I would be more impressed by such a spontaneous help than by the 1-star rating...

Last edited:

chris122380

Sep 29, 2010
chris122380.x10.mx

I would like to have seen a reason and even better being contacted for help, but instead it is just shooting down and not getting any chance.

In any case, this is why I am still a bit hesitant to restore the app in the Play store, which I will do probably anyway, possible at the end of this day or tomorrow morning.
I would reply to there one star with. "I would like to have seen a reason but please feel free to contact me for support at <Insert contract email address>"

Though I am starting to wonder if Google Play is starting to get fake reviews or bot reviews.
In rare cases where I have actually read a review of a app that's new to me, I will often ignore one liners. They tell you absolutely nothing of the problems the user may be having. I would advise you to ignore them as well. Like I said in a previous post you still outrank the majority of the Google Play Store and have the highest rating of any email app. So obviously this person has no idea what they're talking about.

sack_reis

Sep 27, 2013
Giving a 1 star review with no explanation to an app, that is as well developed and supported like Fairmail is ridiculous. I think at this point you have to assume, as others have pointed out, that such reviews are fake by bots or competitors.

Especially looking at the available alternatives i simply cannot fathom an actual human being trying Fairmail and then thinking: "gee, this sucks. 1 star!"

Thank you for the all great work you are doing. Hope you can find the much needed balance from all this bullshit somehow.

fraschi51

Mar 17, 2016

I'm sure that's just because the evaluator isn't used to such good stuff ... ;-)

bruno.mercier

Feb 6, 2017
Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge

Well people have a right not to like it and, following, not to use it.
As long as it is only a few, well no reason to investigates much.
Well, if it get to 95 % of the rating... maybe worth.
But that's not the case :D.
I believe unhappy people are more prone to let it be known that the one happy, so the truth is always better than the figures can show...
No question, best app mail so far from my perspective (and for my need!)

Reactions: sssubito

sssubito

Nov 7, 2015

1 star + no explanation whatsoever: typical troll --> ignore those, not worth to even reply with some standard answer which you, Marcel, anyway don't like either. Free your mind from such trolls and simply ignore them. Total ignorance is what such trolls deserve. Don't feed trolls with any response or reaction, that's their worst punishment.

Friedel25

Mar 17, 2016
Hannover
Hi Marcel,
I completely agree with what de_Wolf and many others wrote about this, and would only like to add a few numbers. In the German Play Store there are since 19.05.2022:

167 reviews with 5 stars
1 review with 4 stars (20.05.)
1 review with 3 stars (22.05.)
1 review with 1 star (20.05.).

According to my (hopefully correct) calculation this is an incredible average of 4.96. Please look in here and not at what idiots or maybe bots write. I think you can also see here how many users are quietly highly satisfied, and are now speaking out to support you because of your problems with Google - as well as here in the thread. I can hardly think of an app that would generate so many heartwarming reactions because of a possible discontinuation.
All the best and good health to you and your girlfriend :)

Last edited:

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
There are about 19 five star reviews needed to compensate one 1 star review. So,
Hi Marcel,
I completely agree with what de_Wolf and many others wrote about this, and would only like to add a few numbers. In the German Play Store there are since 19.05.2022:

167 reviews with 5 stars
1 review with 4 stars (20.05.)
1 review with 3 stars (22.05.)
1 review with 1 star (20.05.).

According to my (hopefully correct) calculation this is an incredible average of 4.96. Please look in here and not at what idiots or maybe bots write. I think you can also see here how many users are quietly highly satisfied, and are now speaking out to support you because of your problems with Google - as well as here in the thread. I can hardly think of an app that would generate so many heartwarming reactions because of a possible discontinuation.
All the best and good health to you and your girlfriend :)
Lately, there were more 5 star ratings than before, for which I am grateful, but this isn't representative for what is averagely happening.

Of course I should ignore "troll" ratings, but I guess I am sensitive person, some say a "drama queen", and therefore this is difficult for me. That said, the support I have seen can't be ignored either, so I will restore the Play store version as soon as version 1.1901 has been approved by Google.

wimstefan

Sep 20, 2014
"Just" ignore.

Edit: This was a response to your question what to do with 1* reviews as you've might have guessed already 😏

Last edited:

Itcouldbeyou

May 14, 2010
My experience is absolutely awful. 1 star
You know very well that this statement is not true.

I don't think this is necessarily true. Think about your mom/granddad. My mom would have an absolutely awful experience with FairEmail. She can barely setup Whatsapp and maybe remembers her mail address correctly. Now she has to remember this strange thing called password, that her son changed because she used her birthday as PW everywhere.

Is is unfair to write a bad review because you don't know how to use Email? Absolutely. I think that is what Americans call Karens. Frustrated people, who complain about things they don't understand. If you ask them questions, there is a chance they will b*tch even more and hurt you further. I don't think that anyone who leaves a 1-line 1-star review wants to help or wants any help.

I know you want to help, but you can't save everyone. I don't know what you do apart from your OSS projects, but from what I can tell, you have a positive impact on (a small part of) the world. Thank you.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I don't think this is necessarily true. Think about your mom/granddad. My mom would have an absolutely awful experience with FairEmail. She can barely setup Whatsapp and maybe remembers her mail address correctly. Now she has to remember this strange thing called password, that her son changed because she used her birthday as PW everywhere.

Is is unfair to write a bad review because you don't know how to use Email? Absolutely. I think that is what Americans call Karens. Frustrated people, who complain about things they don't understand. If you ask them questions, there is a chance they will b*tch even more and hurt you further. I don't think that anyone who leaves a 1-line 1-star review wants to help or wants any help.

I know you want to help, but you can't save everyone. I don't know what you do apart from your OSS projects, but from what I can tell, you have a positive impact on (a small part of) the world. Thank you.
I think the main question, given the described scenario, is why your mom isn't asking for help. She can write a review after all. Everybody would be happier if she wrote in a more positive form, like "Please help, I can't ..." or "How can I ...". She would get an answer mentioning my email address for personal support in return and I would do my best to make her "can".

Itcouldbeyou

May 14, 2010
I think the main question, given the described scenario, is why your mom isn't asking for help.

The reason is: "Whatsapp worked and I'd rather blame my incompetence on this app. Why won't my son simply use Whatsapp?" (I'm not saying my mom writes bad reviews, but she would have a bad time with the app.)

FairEmail is not meant to be as easy to use as whatsapp, simply because Email is more difficult to use then a service tied to your phone number.

And a lot of people are frustrated. They are not mad at you specifically. They are frustrated for whatever reason. And when something doesn't work as easy as they expected, they simply vent in a non-constructive way.

I know it is frustrating for you, but as others have said, you have to ignore them.

de_Wolf

Apr 30, 2022
And you can also find something positive about FE under NetGuard reviews in the Play Store:

15 March 2022
At this point I must (once again) take up the cudgels for the programmer. I've been using Netguard for 5 years now and I don't know of any firewall that works so effectively and is also so clearly designed. Of course, a training period is necessary, but that is what every firewall requires. My respect to Marcel Bokhorst. By the way, also for the FairEmail app! Top!!!

Reactions: M66B

cobbert

May 19, 2022
Glad to see you back up and running. Donated a few more bucks your way.

Have a great day.

Last edited:
Reactions: M66B

heisert

Jan 24, 2015
Hamburg
Sorry Marcel,

I really don't know what's more annoying: the bad reviews or your constant complaints about it.

For years I (and many others) have been telling you to just ignore it!

Your app has been the best Android mail client for years. I don't know why you don't believe that.
Even if you fall to 3.8, it doesn't matter. The people who gave bad reviews are long gone anyway and didn't bother with the app or didn't understand how to use it.

An friend also deleted Fairemail because he could not see any (advertising) pictures. :rolleyes: F*ck these users!

Should they be happy somewhere else!?

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Sorry Marcel,

I really don't know what's more annoying: the bad reviews or your constant complaints about it.

For years I (and many others) have been telling you to just ignore it!

Your app has been the best Android mail client for years. I don't know why you don't believe that.
Even if you fall to 3.8, it doesn't matter. The people who gave bad reviews are long gone anyway and didn't bother with the app or didn't understand how to use it.

An friend also deleted Fairemail because he could not see any (advertising) pictures. :rolleyes: F*ck these users!

Should they be happy somewhere else!?
Just "ignore" my complaints.

maybeme2

Aug 28, 2015
Google Pixel 5
Moto G 5G
I don't know if this is meaningful or not but I just went to the Google playstore for another round of upvoting/downvoting and found that Fairemail is still not listed. I'm in the US.
Fwiw.
Screenshot_20220528-104713.png

Reactions: Austinredstoner

Top Liked Posts

The tutorials as created by @mkasimd are live now:

The tutorials are being referenced from the FAQ, the contact form and from the settings screen in the next version of the app.

If you are a native English speaker, can you please check if the spelling/style is okay?
    The dark original message view will stop working for Android before version 10, about which I complained about in this issue:

https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/237785596

(requires a Google login)

The next version of the app will show a message about this.
    Apparently there's a while field of science behind the question of what colors are perceived as light / bright. This article is interesting on the topic:

But this should work too, I think. In the worst case, we can send a few emails with different background colors in a test version before you push an official release. Just to be certain.
    FairEmail already adjusts colors for the reformatted message view, using magic science ;-)

For now I am going to wait what Google says about forcing dark mode. It would be better if the browser did this instead of manipulating the HTML. Maybe I I'll leave it like it is, which means that there will be a message that Google removed dark mode for Android before version 10. Let's say that reviews are not very motivating to workaround Google's decision this problem.
    Does the mentioned possible data loss happen only on the device or also on the server?
    Only on the device, unless a POP3 account is being used with the option 'Leave messages on server' disabled.

I have clarified this in the FAQ:

https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/FAQ.md#redmi

Thanks!
    SQLite is used by FairEmail as the app's local database. A data loss within there should not result in any data loss within the server. If that was the case, it'd be a huge bug within the FairEmail on top of the bug in Redmi Note (as deleting in the server requires an IMAP command being sent to the email server), and we can trust that Marcel would have communicated and fixed it already if that was the case 😉

With POP3, the messages are possibly deleted right after downloading the message. So if the data within the device is lost, the messages are lost for all eternity then. Because there are no messages stored in the server then.

Advice: use IMAP whenever possible
    In addition: sqlite is the Android database system. FairEmail comes with a recent sqlite library because on older devices / Android versions there are often pretty old sqlite binaries with known and sometimes critical bugs. FairEmail links for this to the requery/sqlite-android project. You'll find some commit of me in this project as well.

sqlite is a pretty amazing piece of software!
    Version 1.1923 1.1924 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/releases

The option to suppress notifications while on a call (recently added) has been replaced by delaying notifications until after having ended the call instead. This way there isn't a risk that important new messages will be missed or seen too late. This option is available on Android 12 and later only because earlier Android versions do not have the requires APIs.
    Version 1.1906 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:

Thanks @Rtxda for testing!
    Quite some people asked my opinion about Thunderbird / K9 mail joining.

I wish them good luck because we need privacy friendly apps. The author of K9 mail seems a nice guy to me, and even contributed a few lines of code and some constructive feedback to FairEmail. I hope he'll find a nice place in the Mozilla organization.

That said, the concept of FairEmail is somewhat different than of Thunderbird / K9 mail. One of the things I read about is deep integration between the Thunderbird desktop / mobile app. The concept of FairEmail is to be standalone and not to depend on any service. Maybe in some way the apps are competitors, depending on the way you look at them, but in the end the goal is similar, offering a decent and privacy friendly app, at least I hope that this keeps being the goal of Mozilla. Of course a lot more can be said, but the apps just have a different character, which you might or might not like.
    Version 1.1907 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:
    Version 1.1914 1.1915 is available on GitHub now.

Changelog/download:

All changes required or desired for Android 13 have been done now.
    Now that this has been done and given my personal situation, there will be bug fix releases only for now.
    ic_launcher.png

FairEmail
    Open source, privacy friendly email app for Android

banner7_long.png

See here for a description:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/

See here for screenshots:
    https://email.faircode.eu/#screenshots

Downloads:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email#user-content-downloads

Frequently asked questions:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/blob/master/FAQ.md

Please read this before requesting a new feature:
    https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/FAQ.md#user-content-get-support

This XDA thread is about using the latest version of FairEmail.

For support on authorizing an account you should consult the documentation of your provider, see also here.

Off topic comments are allowed as long they are related to FairEmail and are in the general interest of the followers of this thread.

Discussion of purchases is not allowed here, please contact me via here instead.
    How was the call with Google today, Marcel?

Google was pretty friendly and cooperative and told me the favicons are indeed the problem, and it can/should be fixed by updating in the privacy policy to "disclose how your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares user data":

Privacy Policy​

All apps must post a privacy policy in both the designated field in Play Console and within the app itself. The privacy policy must, together with any in-app disclosures, comprehensively disclose how your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares user data, not limited by the data disclosed in the Data Safety section. This must include:
    • developer information and a privacy point of contact or a mechanism to submit inquiries
    • disclosing the types of personal and sensitive user data your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares; and any parties with which any personal or sensitive user data is shared
    • secure data handling procedures for personal and sensitive user data
    • the developer’s data retention and deletion policy
    • clear labeling as a privacy policy (e.g., listed as “privacy policy” in title)
    The entity (e.g., developer, company) named in the app’s Google Play listing must appear in the privacy policy or the app must be named in the privacy policy. Apps that do not access any personal and sensitive user data must still submit a privacy policy.

Please make sure your privacy policy is available on an active URL (no PDFs) and is non-editable.

So, I have updated the privacy policy and added this new table:

https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/PRIVACY.md#summary-of-shared-data

I am not sure if it covers everything, so feedback is more than welcome. @mkasimd maybe you can take a look?

Note that I have also enabled BIMI, Gravatars, Libravatars and favicons for the Play store version again.

The short term goal is to release a Play store test version (and associated GitHub version) and to get the update approved. I will think about the next steps after this has been accomplished. Given the huge number of supportive messages I received (much appreciated!) the project will be continued in some form in any case.
    Version 1.1900 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval (which is the main goal of this release).

Changelog/download:

My girlfriend is slowly recovering too :)
    It is time for a new, modern, open source, privacy friendly email client for Android.

I have just released a first alpha version for feedback on the design and features.

Not for production use yet!

Most of the stuff basically works, but be prepared for crashes and error notifications.

Safe email is a working name, but it is for several reasons not a convenient name, so suggestions for a name are welcome.
    I have just released alpha version 0.15

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/releases

With a bit of luck the next version can be a beta version.

I am putting a lot of effort into this project, so thanks are appreciated.