[APP][5.0+] FairEmail - Fully featured, open source, privacy oriented email app

Search This thread

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I don't know if this is meaningful or not but I just went to the Google playstore for another round of upvoting/downvoting and found that Fairemail is still not listed. I'm in the US.
Fwiw.
The app is still in the approval process of Google ...
So, that's unfortunately correct.

I will update here if the app gets approved:

https://faircode.eu/faq.html

jsusang

Jun 10, 2020
Reactions: M66B

Exmet

Jun 30, 2013
I paid for both FE and NG because I love what the apps do and what they represent. I'm so relieved to learn that the projects will live on.
On a side note, my version is 1.1887, and there don't appear to be any updated versions via the F-Droid app. But I know that newer versions have been released. What's going on?

Exmet

Jun 30, 2013
I don't know, @Exmet. The (German) view in the F-Droid store shows the following version number regarding FairEmail:
Version 1.1899 (1899) proposed Added on 2022-05-22

I guess it was an issue with originally installing via the play store. I think I wasn't able to donate if it wasn't via the play store.
Anyway, I uninstalled the app and reinstalled via F-Droid, so now I'm on version 1.1899.
Unfortunately, I lost my Pro features.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I guess it was an issue with originally installing via the play store. I think I wasn't able to donate if it wasn't via the play store.
Anyway, I uninstalled the app and reinstalled via F-Droid, so now I'm on version 1.1899.
To restore the pro features, please contact me. Note that you can't use a Play store purchase outside of the Play store.

Reactions: sieghartRM

chris122380

Sep 29, 2010
chris122380.x10.mx
Download the Play Store version (you can still do that even if you don't see it in the Play Store by going to purchased apps or under "see recent updates"), make sure the pro version is activated, and then you can get the latest update from GitHub. I have found that it will still honor the pro license. Then in settings under miscellaneous I enable "check for GitHub updates". This way I keep my Pro license plus I also stay current with the most current updates..

Reactions: ROO3VER

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Download the Play Store version (you can still do that even if you don't see it in the Play Store by going to purchased apps or under "see recent updates") and then you can get the latest update from GitHub. I have found that it will still honor the pro license. Then in settings under miscellaneous I enable "check for GitHub updates". This way I keep my Pro license plus I also stay current with the most current updates..
This is reportedly working, but it is up to Google if the Play store purchase is being recognized.

Note that there shouldn't be too much discussion about the pro features here (XDA rules).

Kockowan

Sep 7, 2010
Dear Marcel,
glad to read about the re-approval from Google's Play store, thank you very much for your effort!
One question: I am using activated FairEmail Pro and wondering how to 'conserve' those features without repeated re-activations while switching between sources.
Activation had been done by PayPal, actual installation is F-Droid version 1.899.
Is it possible to switch to Github- or Google Play Store- version (and back?) without loosing the activation? How to do so?
Thanks and best regards!

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Dear Marcel,
glad to read about the re-approval from Google's Play store, thank you very much for your effort!
One question: I am using activated FairEmail Pro and wondering how to 'conserve' those features without repeated re-activations while switching between sources.
Activation had been done by PayPal, actual installation is F-Droid version 1.899.
Is it possible to switch to Github- or Google Play Store- version (and back?) without loosing the activation? How to do so?
Thanks and best regards!
For support on the pro features, please use this contact form:

https://contact.faircode.eu/?product=fairemailsupport

XDA rules basically allow discussing the free version of the app only here.

Friedel25

Mar 17, 2016
Hannover
I would like to have this German 1 star rating about spam filtering being voted down:

Link.
Downvoted.

These links don't work for me either, so I sort by date to find the review. For regions other than my own DE, this no longer works for me, as it seems that sorting by date is no longer possible when accessing the Play Store via browser at the moment.

Last edited:
Reactions: wimstefan and M66B

alexgieg

Sep 7, 2015
Sao Paulo
www.alexandergieg.org
Hello! I've read the last few pages of comments and I'd like to add mine.

First, I'm not yet a user. I found out about FairEmail a few days ago on a site commenting on secure email apps for Android. I was going to test it, found the Play Store link was non-functional, and Googling around arrived here. It's nice to know it's going to be back shortly! :)

I also just read the comment about 1-star reviews, and I'd like to add a few points that may help.

So, from what I read years ago, it's typical to see 8 times more bad reviews than good reviews if a product is equally liked and dislike, that is, if the same number of people like and dislike it. Why? Because people who're having a bad experience are much more vocal about it than people who are having a good experience, and thus complain loudly much more frequently than the other praises loudly.

This means that, if you have 1000 users; from 1000 users there are 500 who dislike your product, and 500 who like it; and, from them all, 90 decided to write reviews; you'd see, from your side, 80 bad reviews and 10 good reviews. If the 10 good reviews then all gave the product 5 stars, and the 80 bad reviews all gave it 1 star, this would result in an average rate of ~1.4 stars.

Therefore, 1.4 stars typically mean half of your users like the product, and half dislike it. And that's assuming no bot activity from dishonest app makers trying to artificially lower your ratio. By extension, anything above 1.4 stars means a higher and higher proportion of satisfied users versus unsatisfied ones. I did some number crunching and got this table:

StarsSatisfied Users
1.01%
1.554%
2.073%
2.583%
3.089%
3.593%
4.096%
4.598.3%
5.0100%

As you see, comparing your rating with the corresponding percentages provide a very different view of things. The odd 1-star review here and there is objectively meaningless.

Additionally, there's a well-known psychological bias at play that, once we become aware of it, can help defuse negative perceptions further: the human brain is primed to give disproportionate importance to disapproval compared to approval.

That stems from our hunter-gatherer days. If, back in tribal days, one member of the tribe were critical of us, that'd be quite dangerous, because even if the other 50 members thought we were fine, that one single negative opinion could cause us real damage, many times physically so, if not even causing us the risk of death. So our minds got used to paying an extraordinary amount of attention to negative feedback. An amount that has been measured in fact. Turns out, people tend to pay 10 to 100 times more attention to negative feedback than to positive feedback.

What this means is that to have our emotions balanced after receiving one single, sole negative feedback, a person unaware of this mechanism needs to receive between 10 and 100 positive feedbacks of the same objective intensity for their emotions to balance those out and reach back into a neutral mood. In the case of store reviews that'd be 10 to 100 5-star reviews for the developer to feel as neutralized that gut sinking feeling from one single 1-star review, and him feeling neutral again. Or, conversely, if the developer received 10 to 100 5-star reviews in a row, and suddenly a 1-star review appears, that's enough for him to feel his good mood due to all those 5-star reviews suddenly disappearing.

This bias is behind many behaviors people have such as, for example, the fear of talking in public and giving presentations (our brains don't recognize that there's no life risk in giving a bad presentation, it feels as if the entire tribe is about to judge its fate and it might die), or the desire to have a criminal suffer horribly for what they did to us (seeking extreme vengeance, so that the criminal suffering is many times the harm they objectively caused us, until we feel the positive emotions we get from their suffering balancing out the negative emotion we felt from what they did), and similar disproportionate reactions.

Knowing this mechanism is in place therefore helps. Even though the bias is always present and operative, by knowing it's there we can recognize that sinking feeling, then look at it objectively and think "Geez, there it is again, my brain playing tricks with me and making me feel as ultra-important something that's irrelevant!", which reduces its intensity significantly.

Those are my 2 cents. I'm sorry for the length, as I imagined that writing in more detail would be better than trying to be too succinct. And I hope it helps!

Last edited:

heinhuiz

Nov 26, 2011
Xiaomi Mi A1
Redmi K20 / Xiaomi Mi 9T
@alexgieg That table is a nice try, but you ignore the fact that people can not only give 1 or 5 stars, but also 2, 3 or 4. In my perception on the internet ratings of 1, 2 and 3 stars are all to be considered as bad, 4 stars will be so-so, and only 5 stars is good. This will dramatically change your figures (although there is no scenario in which a mean score of 4.7 or 4.8 can be translated as far from perfect).

Reactions: M66B

Top Liked Posts

The tutorials as created by @mkasimd are live now:

The tutorials are being referenced from the FAQ, the contact form and from the settings screen in the next version of the app.

If you are a native English speaker, can you please check if the spelling/style is okay?
    The dark original message view will stop working for Android before version 10, about which I complained about in this issue:

https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/237785596

(requires a Google login)

The next version of the app will show a message about this.
    Apparently there's a while field of science behind the question of what colors are perceived as light / bright. This article is interesting on the topic:

But this should work too, I think. In the worst case, we can send a few emails with different background colors in a test version before you push an official release. Just to be certain.
    FairEmail already adjusts colors for the reformatted message view, using magic science ;-)

For now I am going to wait what Google says about forcing dark mode. It would be better if the browser did this instead of manipulating the HTML. Maybe I I'll leave it like it is, which means that there will be a message that Google removed dark mode for Android before version 10. Let's say that reviews are not very motivating to workaround Google's decision this problem.
    Does the mentioned possible data loss happen only on the device or also on the server?
    Only on the device, unless a POP3 account is being used with the option 'Leave messages on server' disabled.

I have clarified this in the FAQ:

https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/FAQ.md#redmi

Thanks!
    SQLite is used by FairEmail as the app's local database. A data loss within there should not result in any data loss within the server. If that was the case, it'd be a huge bug within the FairEmail on top of the bug in Redmi Note (as deleting in the server requires an IMAP command being sent to the email server), and we can trust that Marcel would have communicated and fixed it already if that was the case 😉

With POP3, the messages are possibly deleted right after downloading the message. So if the data within the device is lost, the messages are lost for all eternity then. Because there are no messages stored in the server then.

Advice: use IMAP whenever possible
    In addition: sqlite is the Android database system. FairEmail comes with a recent sqlite library because on older devices / Android versions there are often pretty old sqlite binaries with known and sometimes critical bugs. FairEmail links for this to the requery/sqlite-android project. You'll find some commit of me in this project as well.

sqlite is a pretty amazing piece of software!
    Version 1.1923 1.1924 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/releases

The option to suppress notifications while on a call (recently added) has been replaced by delaying notifications until after having ended the call instead. This way there isn't a risk that important new messages will be missed or seen too late. This option is available on Android 12 and later only because earlier Android versions do not have the requires APIs.
    Version 1.1906 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:

Thanks @Rtxda for testing!
    Quite some people asked my opinion about Thunderbird / K9 mail joining.

I wish them good luck because we need privacy friendly apps. The author of K9 mail seems a nice guy to me, and even contributed a few lines of code and some constructive feedback to FairEmail. I hope he'll find a nice place in the Mozilla organization.

That said, the concept of FairEmail is somewhat different than of Thunderbird / K9 mail. One of the things I read about is deep integration between the Thunderbird desktop / mobile app. The concept of FairEmail is to be standalone and not to depend on any service. Maybe in some way the apps are competitors, depending on the way you look at them, but in the end the goal is similar, offering a decent and privacy friendly app, at least I hope that this keeps being the goal of Mozilla. Of course a lot more can be said, but the apps just have a different character, which you might or might not like.
    Version 1.1907 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:
    Version 1.1914 1.1915 is available on GitHub now.

Changelog/download:

All changes required or desired for Android 13 have been done now.
    Now that this has been done and given my personal situation, there will be bug fix releases only for now.
    ic_launcher.png

FairEmail
    Open source, privacy friendly email app for Android

banner7_long.png

See here for a description:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/

See here for screenshots:
    https://email.faircode.eu/#screenshots

Downloads:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email#user-content-downloads

Frequently asked questions:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/blob/master/FAQ.md

Please read this before requesting a new feature:
    https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/FAQ.md#user-content-get-support

This XDA thread is about using the latest version of FairEmail.

For support on authorizing an account you should consult the documentation of your provider, see also here.

Off topic comments are allowed as long they are related to FairEmail and are in the general interest of the followers of this thread.

Discussion of purchases is not allowed here, please contact me via here instead.
    How was the call with Google today, Marcel?

Google was pretty friendly and cooperative and told me the favicons are indeed the problem, and it can/should be fixed by updating in the privacy policy to "disclose how your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares user data":

Privacy Policy​

All apps must post a privacy policy in both the designated field in Play Console and within the app itself. The privacy policy must, together with any in-app disclosures, comprehensively disclose how your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares user data, not limited by the data disclosed in the Data Safety section. This must include:
    • developer information and a privacy point of contact or a mechanism to submit inquiries
    • disclosing the types of personal and sensitive user data your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares; and any parties with which any personal or sensitive user data is shared
    • secure data handling procedures for personal and sensitive user data
    • the developer’s data retention and deletion policy
    • clear labeling as a privacy policy (e.g., listed as “privacy policy” in title)
    The entity (e.g., developer, company) named in the app’s Google Play listing must appear in the privacy policy or the app must be named in the privacy policy. Apps that do not access any personal and sensitive user data must still submit a privacy policy.

Please make sure your privacy policy is available on an active URL (no PDFs) and is non-editable.

So, I have updated the privacy policy and added this new table:

https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/PRIVACY.md#summary-of-shared-data

I am not sure if it covers everything, so feedback is more than welcome. @mkasimd maybe you can take a look?

Note that I have also enabled BIMI, Gravatars, Libravatars and favicons for the Play store version again.

The short term goal is to release a Play store test version (and associated GitHub version) and to get the update approved. I will think about the next steps after this has been accomplished. Given the huge number of supportive messages I received (much appreciated!) the project will be continued in some form in any case.
    Version 1.1900 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval (which is the main goal of this release).

Changelog/download:

My girlfriend is slowly recovering too :)
    It is time for a new, modern, open source, privacy friendly email client for Android.

I have just released a first alpha version for feedback on the design and features.

Not for production use yet!

Most of the stuff basically works, but be prepared for crashes and error notifications.

Safe email is a working name, but it is for several reasons not a convenient name, so suggestions for a name are welcome.
    I have just released alpha version 0.15

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/releases

With a bit of luck the next version can be a beta version.

I am putting a lot of effort into this project, so thanks are appreciated.