[APP][5.0+] FairEmail - Fully featured, open source, privacy oriented email app

Search This thread
You are the first one ever asked for this and besides that I think it will be confusing in combination of the existing collapse/expand.
I explain the reason for the suggestion, the folders I have to add are not many but they are enough so that the other accounts below are out of the visible area of the screen, so whenever I want to check what is going on with one of those accounts I have to scroll down, with the expand and collapse option I could quickly bring the other accounts to the visible area of the screen

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I explain the reason for the suggestion, the folders I have to add are not many but they are enough so that the other accounts below are out of the visible area of the screen, so whenever I want to check what is going on with one of those accounts I have to scroll down, with the expand and collapse option I could quickly bring the other accounts to the visible area of the screen
Try to collapse the accounts section once.

Try to collapse the accounts section once.
Problem solved with this suggestion, although I think the accounts collapse and expand would be a better implementation, I don't know how people can find this confusing, I'm not young anymore, I'm over 50 and this is the option that seems intuitive to me, again, thanks for your patience and support

No longer young? This is an observation from the perspective of age. I will soon be 65 years old, for me you are damn young! 😊
The reason I mentioned age is because the younger generation tends to think that we of the older generation have difficulty with certain concepts associated with software, in the case I mentioned a hierarchical folder structure I think is a concept that everyone understands, but the developer must have had enough complaints to mention that it would be confusing for certain people

de_Wolf

Apr 30, 2022
The reason I mentioned age is because the younger generation tends to think that we of the older generation have difficulty with certain concepts associated with software, in the case I mentioned a hierarchical folder structure I think is a concept that everyone understands, but the developer must have had enough complaints to mention that it would be confusing for certain people
That's what I thought, it was just a joke!

lvmm

Nov 27, 2009
Hi,

A couple of questions I couldn't find answers for:
1. Message reformatting is enabled, and each message is preceded with an elaborate 4-line discourse on what reformatting is, why I need it and what I am to do with it. Ok, seen it. How can I permanently hide it?
2. I've set up multiple folders on IMAP account to sync, but receiving notifications about new messages only in inbox, but not in other synced folders. Is there a way to set up notifications for all new messages?

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Hi,

A couple of questions I couldn't find answers for:
1. Message reformatting is enabled, and each message is preceded with an elaborate 4-line discourse on what reformatting is, why I need it and what I am to do with it. Ok, seen it. How can I permanently hide it?
2. I've set up multiple folders on IMAP account to sync, but receiving notifications about new messages only in inbox, but not in other synced folders. Is there a way to set up notifications for all new messages?
  1. Tap once on the "[ ]" button.
  2. Long press on a folder in the folder list of the account (tap on the account name in the navigation menu = left side menu) and there will be an option to enable/disable new message notifications.

Last edited:
Reactions: lvmm

TooMuchSloeGin

Sep 19, 2013
Stratfield Mortimer
Synchronizing a folder will respect the sync/keep settings.
Strictly speaking that is true. On a test folder, with 5/5 for sync/keep, syncing the folder results in the display 0/3 for the folder content (ie zero messages downloaded and 3 headers fetched).
But the moment I open the folder (just open it... no browse gesture)... more than 35 messages for months back are downloaded. This chimes with this quote:
Browse will fill the screen and prefetch about one screen more to reduce the waiting time. This could mean that older messages are being fetched.
although I didn't browse, I simply opened the folder.

I am afraid programmes that on their own overrule options explicitly given by the user are rarely my cup of tea though I will admit that this is not a major problem. Anyway, I will further investigate whether I can get this to work the way I like (so as to keep my folders in the shipshape state I like them to be in).

Now for something completely differently: I have started out with the f-droid version of FE. I will want to switch to the github release, that was why I asked about the ability to export/import across machines and versions. That seems to work but now I have another question re export/import: in what file format are data exported? Some textual standard like XML, JSON or similar or as a binary blob?

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Strictly speaking that is true. On a test folder, with 5/5 for sync/keep, syncing the folder results in the display 0/3 for the folder content (ie zero messages downloaded and 3 headers fetched).
But the moment I open the folder (just open it... no browse gesture)... more than 35 messages for months back are downloaded. This chimes with this quote:

although I didn't browse, I simply opened the folder.

I am afraid programmes that on their own overrule options explicitly given by the user are rarely my cup of tea though I will admit that this is not a major problem. Anyway, I will further investigate whether I can get this to work the way I like (so as to keep my folders in the shipshape state I like them to be in).

Now for something completely differently: I have started out with the f-droid version of FE. I will want to switch to the github release, that was why I asked about the ability to export/import across machines and versions. That seems to work but now I have another question re export/import: in what file format are data exported? Some textual standard like XML, JSON or similar or as a binary blob?
Browsing by scrolling down won't work if you can't scroll down, so there needs to be at least a screen full of messages plus a little more to be able to scroll. So, this is not a developers' choice in itself, but a requirement of the feature.

The export file is an encrypted JSON file, please see here for the encryption method:

https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/FAQ.md#user-content-faq36

TooMuchSloeGin

Sep 19, 2013
Stratfield Mortimer
Browsing by scrolling down won't work if you can't scroll down, so there needs to be at least a screen full of messages plus a little more to be able to scroll. So, this is not a developers' choice in itself, but a requirement of the feature.
I am afraid we'll simply have to agree to disagree on that one. You as the dev have full control of whether you load further messages or not (if "Browse" is off in the account options then nothing is downloaded on folder opening, so this is clearly not an absolute requirement).

I've "solved" this for the time being by deactivating "Browse" in the account options for all accounts and instead using "Fetch more message" in the three dots menu for those folder where I want to see more message than synced.
The export file is an encrypted JSON file, please see here for the encryption method:
I'll take it that means that decrypting and manually editing the settings is not possible. A pity.

Last edited:

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I am afraid we'll simply have to agree to disagree on that one. You as the dev have full control of whether you load further messages or not (if "Browse" is off in the account options then nothing is downloaded on folder opening, so this is clearly not an absolute requirement).

I've "solved" for the time being this by deactivating "Browse" in the account options for all accounts and instead using "Fetch more message" in the three dots menu for those folder where I want to see more message than synced.

I'll take it that means that decrypting and manually editing the settings is not possible. A pity.
I like to hear how it can be made possible to browse by scrolling down if there is only one message on the screen.

Editing of settings files isn't supported because that would inevitably result in many questions and I already get enough questions, several thousands every month.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
The latest F-Droid build is more than a week old and has a number of known bugs. This is problematic regarding support. Basically, I can't help you if you have a problem caused by a bug.

If email is important for you, better use the GitHub version instead.

Note that you cannot update the F-Droid build with a GitHub release without reinstalling.

Please check this FAQ too:

https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/FAQ.md#user-content-faq147

Reactions: sieghartRM

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
1 star Polish review:

This is the worst business app I've ever used. And I was using it for few years and every time it failed I promised myself it's the last time. Well, this is the last time. I uninstall it and will be paying for AquaMail which I've been using also for several years now. The difference is I didn't pay and I paid for FairEmail because I thought it's so bad because of free version. But nothing changed after the payment. Still some emails can't be sent, still very often the emails can't be downloaded.

Never asked for support, never updated, has version 1.889 from 2-3 years ago installed.

• Haha

deechte

Feb 1, 2007
Soest
OnePlus 7T Pro
I have a kind request for uniform Move To behavior.

When tapping the Move To button in an opened message, I am presented with the list of folders within that account where I can choose a destination.

When selecting multiple messages, and then tapping the Move To button in the floating button menu, I am first offered a choice of accounts and thereafter the folder list to choose a destination.

I'd find it more satisfying if both flows would behave the same. Ideally both would directly present me the folder list, to save a step. It's not very often that I need to move a message to another account's folder. But it would be nice if the folder list would offer a button to change account nonetheless, in case you might need to move across accounts.

I hope this sounds logical to you as well Marcel.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I have a kind request for uniform Move To behavior.

When tapping the Move To button in an opened message, I am presented with the list of folders within that account where I can choose a destination.

When selecting multiple messages, and then tapping the Move To button in the floating button menu, I am first offered a choice of accounts and thereafter the folder list to choose a destination.

I'd find it more satisfying if both flows would behave the same. Ideally both would directly present me the folder list, to save a step. It's not very often that I need to move a message to another account's folder. But it would be nice if the folder list would offer a button to change account nonetheless, in case you might need to move across accounts.

I hope this sounds logical to you as well Marcel.
There will be an account selection only if you selected messages of different accounts.

deechte

Feb 1, 2007
Soest
OnePlus 7T Pro
There will be an account selection only if you selected messages of different accounts.
Im selecting messages of the same inbox from the same account. I'm not even using a unified inbox. I always get the account selector first.

Edit: I even get it with one selected message.

Edit2: wouldn't that also mean that moving across accounts should be impossible?

Top Liked Posts

They probably won't work on Sundays.

I was surprised that you were supposed to get an information until 06:00 PM yesterday, I found that quite a late time for a Saturday.
    Google Cloud support is available 24 hours/day, at least that's what you pay for. APIs are available 24 hours/days too after all. The rest of the organization is probably working 9-17, 4 days a week ...
    QUESTION ABOUT FAIR EMAIL OPTIONS:
    Assuming the starting point of no on-device Google Account...

Q: Which of these Fair Email Google mail server options is "most" private?

1. 2SV/2FA (using any of a half dozen secondary methods), or,
    2. What Fair Email terms "GMail (Android)", or,
    3. What Fair Email terms "GMail (OAuth)".

Note Marcel knows the answer, so he can instantly nip this tangent in the bud by answering that question in a single word... (where I suspect the answer is undoubtably #3 but others strongly think it's #1 apparently, so I could be wrong - but it's NEVER gonna be #2.

The desired single word answer is "none". Google scans all your messages and you can only hope that the gathered information isn't used in an un-private way. Option 1 (assumed to be app passwords) and option 3 do not send extra information to Google. Option 2 requires an on-device Google account. You can control the sync options of a Google account via the Android settings. If these options work as expected and are turned off, no information should be sent to Google. This applies to all other Google services and apps, like Maps and Drive, too. You'll need to go into the settings and turn things off and trust that Google honors this.

I expect to see no more messages about this subject anymore, with no exceptions for anyone. If you want to continue discussing about this, you should create a new XDA thread for this.
    I have just uploaded a 4th YouTube video, with things which are not being described and not were asked for before ...
    Yesterday, the OAuth verification team requested a minor change and a test APK file, which probably means that the app fulfills all requirements now and that the verification process transitioned to the next phase. In any case this is looking good so far.
    Since I need a distraction anyway, I am trying to get a web OAuth flow for Gmail accounts approved by Google because it seems the policies were changed for this type of authentication. K9 mail was approved too, without the expensive security audit formerly required. This would allow authenticating Gmail accounts via OAuth without an on-device account.
    The next version will have optionally VirusTotal integration, so you can check attachments easily:

Screenshot_20220723-102554.png
    Using a Gmail account in FairEmail will inevitably leak your IP address, and thus your rough location, but nothing else, except the obvious: the messages you receive and sent and their meta data (sender, receiver, subject, etc).

Note that it is not a good idea to use a VPN to hide your IP address because you'll probably run into "Please log in via your web browser" at an inconvenient moment.

For HOTP and TOTP I recommend FreeOTP+.

I think enough has been said about the privacy aspects of a Google account now. Whether a Google account on your device is a privacy concern or not is off-topic here. If you want to keep discussing about this, please create another XDA thread for this. You can leave a link to the created thread here if you wish.
    ic_launcher.png

FairEmail
    Open source, privacy friendly email app for Android

banner7_long.png

See here for a description:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/

See here for screenshots:
    https://email.faircode.eu/#screenshots

Downloads:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email#user-content-downloads

Frequently asked questions:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/blob/master/FAQ.md

Please read this before requesting a new feature:
    https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/FAQ.md#user-content-get-support

This XDA thread is about using the latest version of FairEmail.

For support on authorizing an account you should consult the documentation of your provider, see also here.

Off topic comments are allowed as long they are related to FairEmail and are in the general interest of the followers of this thread.

Discussion of purchases is not allowed here, please contact me via here instead.
    How was the call with Google today, Marcel?

Google was pretty friendly and cooperative and told me the favicons are indeed the problem, and it can/should be fixed by updating in the privacy policy to "disclose how your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares user data":

Privacy Policy​

All apps must post a privacy policy in both the designated field in Play Console and within the app itself. The privacy policy must, together with any in-app disclosures, comprehensively disclose how your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares user data, not limited by the data disclosed in the Data Safety section. This must include:
    • developer information and a privacy point of contact or a mechanism to submit inquiries
    • disclosing the types of personal and sensitive user data your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares; and any parties with which any personal or sensitive user data is shared
    • secure data handling procedures for personal and sensitive user data
    • the developer’s data retention and deletion policy
    • clear labeling as a privacy policy (e.g., listed as “privacy policy” in title)
    The entity (e.g., developer, company) named in the app’s Google Play listing must appear in the privacy policy or the app must be named in the privacy policy. Apps that do not access any personal and sensitive user data must still submit a privacy policy.

Please make sure your privacy policy is available on an active URL (no PDFs) and is non-editable.

So, I have updated the privacy policy and added this new table:

https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/PRIVACY.md#summary-of-shared-data

I am not sure if it covers everything, so feedback is more than welcome. @mkasimd maybe you can take a look?

Note that I have also enabled BIMI, Gravatars, Libravatars and favicons for the Play store version again.

The short term goal is to release a Play store test version (and associated GitHub version) and to get the update approved. I will think about the next steps after this has been accomplished. Given the huge number of supportive messages I received (much appreciated!) the project will be continued in some form in any case.
    Version 1.1900 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval (which is the main goal of this release).

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/releases

My girlfriend is slowly recovering too :)
    It is time for a new, modern, open source, privacy friendly email client for Android.

I have just released a first alpha version for feedback on the design and features.

Not for production use yet!

Most of the stuff basically works, but be prepared for crashes and error notifications.

Safe email is a working name, but it is for several reasons not a convenient name, so suggestions for a name are welcome.
    I have just released alpha version 0.15

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/releases

With a bit of luck the next version can be a beta version.

I am putting a lot of effort into this project, so thanks are appreciated.