[APP][5.0+] FairEmail - Fully featured, open source, privacy oriented email app

Search This thread

deechte

Feb 1, 2007
Soest
OnePlus 7T Pro
Right.
Then my proposal would still be to make the experience uniform. But since the account selector isn't something that's frequently needed, I'd suggest moving it to the folder list to save a step in most cases.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Right.
Then my proposal would still be to make the experience uniform. But since the account selector isn't something that's frequently needed, I'd suggest moving it to the folder list to save a step in most cases.
People with smaller screens won't like the space used for this. Note that dialogs can't have an overflow menu.

Reactions: sieghartRM

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
The number of features requests is about the same as the number of 1 star ratings like "Fa schifo", which is Italian for "It sucks". According to Google this is not violating Play store policies, while I can think of multiple policies being violated.

Let me be clear, also given my personal situation, I will do my best to maintain and support the app, but the number of new changes and new features will be limited for the time being.

fraschi51

Mar 17, 2016
Hallo Marcel, could you please clarify the algorithm for 'This will select the last identity used when selecting a recipient for new messages'?

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Hallo Marcel, could you please clarify the algorithm for 'This will select the last identity used when selecting a recipient for new messages'?
All messages will have a 'via' field, which you can view by expanding the addresses section between the message header and message text. This is the identity used or matched for the message. This identity is stored in the local contact database ('Manage' contacts in the receive settings) for all recipients of the message, which will be used when you select a recipient in the message editor to auto select the identity at the top.

fraschi51

Mar 17, 2016
All messages will have a 'via' field, which you can view by expanding the addresses section between the message header and message text. This is the identity used or matched for the message. This identity is stored in the local contact database ('Manage' contacts in the receive settings) for all recipients of the message, which will be used when you select a recipient in the message editor to auto select the identity at the top.
This works - I think - only for the first (if there are multiple) recipient?

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Learned something new again!
I for sure would support this change.
But which account should be used for the folder list? When selecting messages of one account this would be clear, but not anymore if there are more. You could say to not ask if there is one account only, and to ask if there are multiple, but this would be inconsistent and inevitably result in questions (or worse).

You are selecting multiple messages, so is one tap more a huge problem? I don't think so.

fraschi51

Mar 17, 2016
Every time you select a recipient (either in the suggestions popup or by picking a contact) the identity selection will be updated. So, it works for any number of recipients.
So is there not just one, but possibly several different identities at different recipients?
I had thought that an e-mail, no matter if with one or more recipients, can always have only ONE identity - then the same for all recipients.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
So is there not just one, but possibly several different identities at different recipients?
I had thought that an e-mail, no matter if with one or more recipients, can always have only ONE identity - then the same for all recipients.
There can be only one identity for one recipient. If you later use a different identity for the same recipient, this one will be used: "the last used".

deechte

Feb 1, 2007
Soest
OnePlus 7T Pro
But which account should be used for the folder list? When selecting messages of one account this would be clear, but not anymore if there are more. You could say to not ask if there is one account only, and to ask if there are multiple, but this would be inconsistent and inevitably result in questions (or worse).

You are selecting multiple messages, so is one tap more a huge problem? I don't think so.
Your proposal in the first paragraph sounds exactly perfect.

If you're speaking about inconsistency, that's there already, between moving from the list and moving an opened message. That's my whole point.

Yes, it's only one click. I know

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Your proposal in the first paragraph sounds exactly perfect.

If you're speaking about inconsistency, that's there already, between moving from the list and moving an opened message. That's my whole point.

Yes, it's only one click. I know
There is a difference between moving one opened message and multiple selected messages. In the case of a single message moving within the same account is much more logical.

deechte

Feb 1, 2007
Soest
OnePlus 7T Pro
There is a difference between moving one opened message and multiple selected messages. In the case of a single message moving within the same account is much more logical.
Another idea then: in my case I use inboxes per account, not unified, so a bunch of selected messages is always from the same account. Hence my objection against the account selector. Maybe this selector could only be used in case of a unified inbox?

Or we can stop talking about it 😉

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    In the spirit of giving presents on your birthday: the next version will allow you to query the whois information in the link confirmation dialog. Example:

1662284115539.png
    Version 1.1964 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/releases

Whois: tap on a link, in the link confirmation dialog, tap on 'More options', tap on the 'Whois' button. Edit: this isn't available in the Play store version.
    The next version will warn for potentially dangerous attachments by using a warning color and a bold font type. When sending a message, the send dialog will show a warning as well (which can be ignored).

This list of file extensions is being used for this:

Preview version:

https://bitbucket.org/M66B/fairemail-test/downloads/FairEmail-v1.1966a-github-attachment-warn-release.apk

Screenshot_20220918-080718.png

Screenshot_20220917-223752.png
    @M66B, you wrote:

August 30, 2022
    Google Cloud support fixed the problem.

Does it mean that the token grant rate problem is solved?
    Yes, it is solved after going back and forth a lot of times.
    The next version of the app will add 'Select block' to the copy/paste menu, which will extend the current selection to a block of text (consecutive lines). IMHO this should be a standard Android feature.
    ic_launcher.png

FairEmail
    Open source, privacy friendly email app for Android

banner7_long.png

See here for a description:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/

See here for screenshots:
    https://email.faircode.eu/#screenshots

Downloads:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email#user-content-downloads

Frequently asked questions:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/blob/master/FAQ.md

Please read this before requesting a new feature:
    https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/FAQ.md#user-content-get-support

This XDA thread is about using the latest version of FairEmail.

For support on authorizing an account you should consult the documentation of your provider, see also here.

Off topic comments are allowed as long they are related to FairEmail and are in the general interest of the followers of this thread.

Discussion of purchases is not allowed here, please contact me via here instead.
    How was the call with Google today, Marcel?

Google was pretty friendly and cooperative and told me the favicons are indeed the problem, and it can/should be fixed by updating in the privacy policy to "disclose how your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares user data":

Privacy Policy​

All apps must post a privacy policy in both the designated field in Play Console and within the app itself. The privacy policy must, together with any in-app disclosures, comprehensively disclose how your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares user data, not limited by the data disclosed in the Data Safety section. This must include:
    • developer information and a privacy point of contact or a mechanism to submit inquiries
    • disclosing the types of personal and sensitive user data your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares; and any parties with which any personal or sensitive user data is shared
    • secure data handling procedures for personal and sensitive user data
    • the developer’s data retention and deletion policy
    • clear labeling as a privacy policy (e.g., listed as “privacy policy” in title)
    The entity (e.g., developer, company) named in the app’s Google Play listing must appear in the privacy policy or the app must be named in the privacy policy. Apps that do not access any personal and sensitive user data must still submit a privacy policy.

Please make sure your privacy policy is available on an active URL (no PDFs) and is non-editable.

So, I have updated the privacy policy and added this new table:

https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/PRIVACY.md#summary-of-shared-data

I am not sure if it covers everything, so feedback is more than welcome. @mkasimd maybe you can take a look?

Note that I have also enabled BIMI, Gravatars, Libravatars and favicons for the Play store version again.

The short term goal is to release a Play store test version (and associated GitHub version) and to get the update approved. I will think about the next steps after this has been accomplished. Given the huge number of supportive messages I received (much appreciated!) the project will be continued in some form in any case.
    Version 1.1900 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval (which is the main goal of this release).

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/releases

My girlfriend is slowly recovering too :)
    It is time for a new, modern, open source, privacy friendly email client for Android.

I have just released a first alpha version for feedback on the design and features.

Not for production use yet!

Most of the stuff basically works, but be prepared for crashes and error notifications.

Safe email is a working name, but it is for several reasons not a convenient name, so suggestions for a name are welcome.
    I have just released alpha version 0.15

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/releases

With a bit of luck the next version can be a beta version.

I am putting a lot of effort into this project, so thanks are appreciated.