[APP][5.0+] FairEmail - Fully featured, open source, privacy oriented email app

Search This thread

mkasimd

Apr 7, 2021
Düsseldorf
It is nice, but it is outdated a bit too.

Maybe somebody can make a similar guide for publishing on GitHub?
I can go for it if you want, though it might take a few days. You just need to tell me, where the file should be located at and how it should be named (e.g. tutorial.md) and which branch I should send the PR to on GitHub.

That way, you won't have to compile an own markdown file, but can just use the pull request and make your fine tuning before merging into the master branch.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I can go for it if you want, though it might take a few days. You just need to tell me, where the file should be located at and how it should be named (e.g. tutorial.md) and which branch I should send the PR to on GitHub.

That way, you won't have to compile an own markdown file, but can just use the pull request and make your fine tuning before merging into the master branch.
Thanks, that's nice. You know my email address, so send me a word document file or similar and I will convert it to markdown while checking everything.

Timmmmaaahh!

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Sep 11, 2012
Bruges
OnePlus One
OnePlus 6T
Thanks, that's nice. You know my email address, so send me a word document file or similar and I will convert it to markdown while checking everything.
You could also let the community handle this and focus on your personal life a bit more. :) Isn't that current 'manual' already on a collaborative platform? This community is awesome with stuff like that!

Reactions: nubla and duttyend

chris122380

Sep 29, 2010
chris122380.x10.mx
I have been looking through notification settings and I haven't found what I'm looking for so I figured I'd ask here. I am noticing that the thumbnail icon is on the right hand side for notifications but when looking at a list of emails it's on the left hand side. Is there a way to change it in notifications so it's on the left hand side? Or is this just one of the lovely Google things that can't be changed?

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I have been looking through notification settings and I haven't found what I'm looking for so I figured I'd ask here. I am noticing that the thumbnail icon is on the right hand side for notifications but when looking at a list of emails it's on the left hand side. Is there a way to change it in notifications so it's on the left hand side? Or is this just one of the lovely Google things that can't be changed?
Try switching to the messaging style in the notification settings.

akhil17kr

Oct 8, 2011
gurgaon
Just a appreciation post to Mr.Champ here i.e. Marcel . I am your fan man. I don't know maybe for people fairmail is great app of yours's but personally , Xprivacy/Lua is the legendary app ever created for android. Android is incomplete for me without it. Nobody gives a sh#t about privacy and only few percentage of people do and you did win hearts of those people. Huge respect for you. I wish you never leave this project and get every support you need for this.
I wish for all the positivity and good things for you young man. May god give talent powerhouse everything you deserve.

mkasimd

Apr 7, 2021
Düsseldorf
You could also let the community handle this and focus on your personal life a bit more. :) Isn't that current 'manual' already on a collaborative platform? This community is awesome with stuff like that!
The manual I linked to is maintained by disroot, an email provider.

Here's a tutorial I just wrote as I found some spare time today, though. Any feedback is welcome (e.g. if something doesn't sound well phrased or something's missing)

Edit: updated link

Last edited:

heinhuiz

Nov 26, 2011
Xiaomi Mi A1
Redmi K20 / Xiaomi Mi 9T

Here's a tutorial I just wrote as I found some spare time today, though. Any feedback is welcome (e.g. if something doesn't sound well phrased or something's missing)

Great tutorial for initial setup!

Maybe you can explain more about the Settings, how they are divided into tabs, and why they contain normal and advanced settings. Also mention that any setting that might involve privacy risks, i.e. private information to be 'leaked', has a clear warning.

xdaTanjiro

Jun 3, 2022

Very professionally done! Appreciate your effort to a better FE community 🤗

If I were to suggest one thing, is the screenshots can have the red ⭕ indicator like the guide on disroot for more clarity to non tech savvy users on where to click.

Thank you!

topcaser

Dec 17, 2005

Hi, selecting a theme is even more simpler by using the three dots menu. But anyway, your tutorial is great

Reactions: mkasimd

mkasimd

Apr 7, 2021
Düsseldorf
I tried to address your suggestions, @xdaTanjiro & @heinhuiz. So here's a list of manuals for both the first configuration as well as various most common settings I could think of:

The how-to on adding email accounts & identities manually is just sitting there to ensure the link works. It has no useful content yet.

cc: @M66B

--
Hi, selecting a theme is even more simpler by using the three dots menu. But anyway, your tutorial is great
Yes, but I would rather keep it out of a newbies' tutorial for a few reasons:
  • this way, the user gets in touch with the settings and understands better that they can adjust the app to his own needs
  • it only works in the "start screen" (e.g. unified inbox). If you open a folder within a account, it won't appear there. That will likely confuse newbies.

IMO, it's best to show things that always work the same way to avoid misunderstandings and unnecessary questions.

P.S.: The tutorials where gone a few mins as I was just busy rebasing to avoid unecessary conflicts in case of a merge.

Edit: updated link

Last edited:

heinhuiz

Nov 26, 2011
Xiaomi Mi A1
Redmi K20 / Xiaomi Mi 9T
I tried to address your suggestions, @xdaTanjiro & @heinhuiz. So here's a list of manuals for both the first configuration as well as various most common settings I could think of:

The how-to on adding email accounts & identities manually is just sitting there to ensure the link works. It has no useful content yet.

--

• this way, the user gets in touch with the settings and understands better that they can adjust the app to his own needs
  • it only works in the "start screen" (e.g. unified inbox). If you open a folder within a account, it won't appear there. That will likely confuse newbies.

IMO, it's best to show things that always work the same way to avoid misunderstandings and unnecessary questions.

P.S.: The tutorials where gone a few mins as I was just busy rebasing to avoid unecessary conflicts in case of a merge.
I think it's brilliant.

Reactions: topcaser

xdaTanjiro

Jun 3, 2022

--

Well done again! Appreciate your effort, even I find it very useful!

deechte

Feb 1, 2007
Soest
OnePlus 7T Pro

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Thank you so much Marcel!! The account selector gone is a great improvement!

So - hypothetically - how would one move multiple messages to a different account now?
Just tap on the action button and select the account and folder to move the messages to (you might need to scroll the popup menu). In other words, the quick move-to action is a true quick action only now and if you need something more advanced, you can use the action button.

BTW, there will still be an account selector if messages of different accounts are being multiple selected.

zinjashike

Jul 11, 2008
So, not sure if a bug came up from an update recently but noticing weird behavior. When I try to sort by sender it no longer does so by display name but instead email addresses only making them hard to readily identify.

Even worse, after setting this sort mode going back to unread retains this - display names don't come back.

Version: 1.926a
Updated 7/2/22 1:49AM

Last edited:

mkasimd

Apr 7, 2021
Düsseldorf
So, not sure if a bug came up from an update recently but noticing weird behavior. When I try to sort by sender it no longer does so by display name but instead email addresses only making them hard to readily identify.

Even worse, after setting this sort mode going back to unread retains this - display names don't come back.

Version: 1.926a
Updated 7/2/22 1:49AM
Sorting by "Sender" is worded a bit unclear tbh, "Sender name" and "Sender address" would be better in order to understand the intended behavior.

Other than that, I can confirm that in 1.929a (GitHub) too, the behavior is as you describe it. Whether that was different in earlier versions or not, I cannot confirm as I never use that feature.

While I was looking at my version no. under "about" I noticed something. Under "Contributors", the Finnish translation misses the term "translation". Same with Portuguese. That's not a real issue, but it's probably best for each line to have the same wording and offer the same level of information.

Top Liked Posts

Although it is technically not possible to make decorators clickable, the date header decorator can be long pressed in this test version anyway to select all messages of that date:

https://bitbucket.org/M66B/fairemail-test/downloads/FairEmail-v1.1973c-github-preview-release.apk
    There was today also a guy leaving a not so favorable review, despite having added a series of new features for him. In any case, I have learned that I shouldn't put too much effort into new features anymore.
    And more 1-star reviews, dragging the average rating down even more. The incentive to work on this app is slowly and steadily vaporizing.

I will keep maintaining the app, but I am going to reduce the time I am putting into support. It seems to be mostly wasted time anyway.
    There are tutorials on how to configure the app as well as on possibly most common and basic settings. If you go into the settings, main view, you'll see a link to the tutorials.

The idea and hope was that adding such tutorials would result in less support requests and less bad reviews. But my impression on Marcel's remarks is that it didn't really change much unfortunately..
    Thanks for the reminder. I think that was added after I started using Fairemail. So it looks like the blame is placed back on the user. I'm going to look through those just to see if I learn anything new. I'm always learning or finding something new.
    In the spirit of giving presents on your birthday: the next version will allow you to query the whois information in the link confirmation dialog. Example:

1662284115539.png
    Version 1.1969 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/Download:
    https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/releases

There is a new set of Material You themes (Android 12+) where the primary and accent color are the same.
    The next version will warn for potentially dangerous attachments by using a warning color and a bold font type. When sending a message, the send dialog will show a warning as well (which can be ignored).

This list of file extensions is being used for this:

Preview version:

https://bitbucket.org/M66B/fairemail-test/downloads/FairEmail-v1.1966a-github-attachment-warn-release.apk

Screenshot_20220918-080718.png

Screenshot_20220917-223752.png
    The next version of the app will add 'Select block' to the copy/paste menu, which will extend the current selection to a block of text (consecutive lines). IMHO this should be a standard Android feature.
    Version 1.1964 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:

Whois: tap on a link, in the link confirmation dialog, tap on 'More options', tap on the 'Whois' button. Edit: this isn't available in the Play store version.
    ic_launcher.png

FairEmail
    Open source, privacy friendly email app for Android

banner7_long.png

See here for a description:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/

See here for screenshots:
    https://email.faircode.eu/#screenshots

Downloads:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email#user-content-downloads

Frequently asked questions:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/blob/master/FAQ.md

Please read this before requesting a new feature:
    https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/FAQ.md#user-content-get-support

This XDA thread is about using the latest version of FairEmail.

For support on authorizing an account you should consult the documentation of your provider, see also here.

Off topic comments are allowed as long they are related to FairEmail and are in the general interest of the followers of this thread.

Discussion of purchases is not allowed here, please contact me via here instead.
    How was the call with Google today, Marcel?

Google was pretty friendly and cooperative and told me the favicons are indeed the problem, and it can/should be fixed by updating in the privacy policy to "disclose how your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares user data":

Privacy Policy​

All apps must post a privacy policy in both the designated field in Play Console and within the app itself. The privacy policy must, together with any in-app disclosures, comprehensively disclose how your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares user data, not limited by the data disclosed in the Data Safety section. This must include:
    • developer information and a privacy point of contact or a mechanism to submit inquiries
    • disclosing the types of personal and sensitive user data your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares; and any parties with which any personal or sensitive user data is shared
    • secure data handling procedures for personal and sensitive user data
    • the developer’s data retention and deletion policy
    • clear labeling as a privacy policy (e.g., listed as “privacy policy” in title)
    The entity (e.g., developer, company) named in the app’s Google Play listing must appear in the privacy policy or the app must be named in the privacy policy. Apps that do not access any personal and sensitive user data must still submit a privacy policy.

Please make sure your privacy policy is available on an active URL (no PDFs) and is non-editable.

So, I have updated the privacy policy and added this new table:

https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/PRIVACY.md#summary-of-shared-data

I am not sure if it covers everything, so feedback is more than welcome. @mkasimd maybe you can take a look?

Note that I have also enabled BIMI, Gravatars, Libravatars and favicons for the Play store version again.

The short term goal is to release a Play store test version (and associated GitHub version) and to get the update approved. I will think about the next steps after this has been accomplished. Given the huge number of supportive messages I received (much appreciated!) the project will be continued in some form in any case.
    Version 1.1900 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval (which is the main goal of this release).

Changelog/download:

My girlfriend is slowly recovering too :)
    It is time for a new, modern, open source, privacy friendly email client for Android.

I have just released a first alpha version for feedback on the design and features.

Not for production use yet!

Most of the stuff basically works, but be prepared for crashes and error notifications.

Safe email is a working name, but it is for several reasons not a convenient name, so suggestions for a name are welcome.
    I have just released alpha version 0.15

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/releases

With a bit of luck the next version can be a beta version.

I am putting a lot of effort into this project, so thanks are appreciated.