[APP][5.0+] FairEmail - Fully featured, open source, privacy oriented email app

Search This thread

mkasimd

Apr 7, 2021
Düsseldorf
So, not sure if a bug came up from an update recently but noticing weird behavior. When I try to sort by sender it no longer does so by display name but instead email addresses only making them hard to readily identify.

Even worse, after setting this sort mode going back to unread retains this - display names don't come back.

Version: 1.926a
Updated 7/2/22 1:49AM
Sorting by "Sender" is worded a bit unclear tbh, "Sender name" and "Sender address" would be better in order to understand the intended behavior.

Other than that, I can confirm that in 1.929a (GitHub) too, the behavior is as you describe it. Whether that was different in earlier versions or not, I cannot confirm as I never use that feature.

While I was looking at my version no. under "about" I noticed something. Under "Contributors", the Finnish translation misses the term "translation". Same with Portuguese. That's not a real issue, but it's probably best for each line to have the same wording and offer the same level of information.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
So, not sure if a bug came up from an update recently but noticing weird behavior. When I try to sort by sender it no longer does so by display name but instead email addresses only making them hard to readily identify.

Even worse, after setting this sort mode going back to unread retains this - display names don't come back.

Version: 1.926a
Updated 7/2/22 1:49AM
Sort on sender was always on email address and this is because the sort order would be ambiguous if a name is missing, which is rather often the case.

Sorting on time again, the default, shows the names again for me. Sort on read shows the names again too.

In any case, there were no changes related to this in recent versions, in fact not for a very long time.

Reactions: mailm and mkasimd

zinjashike

Jul 11, 2008
Sort on sender was always on email address and this is because the sort order would be ambiguous if a name is missing, which is rather often the case.

Sorting on time again, the default, shows the names again for me. Sort on read shows the names again too.

In any case, there were no changes related to this in recent versions, in fact not for a very long time.

This is weird then, because that's never how it worked for me. It always stuck to display names before, for example "touch of modern" would all group together as would "drop", "twitter", and other places that tend to send lots of emails.

To confirm are you saying that this sort method should show the email and NOT the display name like it used to for me? That the prior way I was having it work was a bug?

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
This is weird then, because that's never how it worked for me. It always stuck to display names before, for example "touch of modern" would all group together as would "drop", "twitter", and other places that tend to send lots of emails.

I don't know about recent versions, I tend to shut-off auto-updates because of bug regressions when stuff works properly and now I have an update with a bad sorting method. You would not believe how many emails begin with "info" for example - completely useless in the large scheme if that's how it was ever intended.
Sorting on sender was always on email address and this was never changed. Sorting on name just doesn't work. First name/last name reversed, missing names, etc make the sort order ambiguous. An email address is a constant on the other hand.

Maybe you want to search for similar messages instead. You can do this with the magnifier glass in the collapsible addresses section between the message header and message text. If you use this frequently, you can add a button for this via the horizontal three dots menu just above the message text near the left side.

Sorting to find messages is generally not the most efficient way to find messages, unless you have a few dozen messages on your device only.

Reactions: mailm

zinjashike

Jul 11, 2008
Sorting on sender was always on email address and this was never changed. Sorting on name just doesn't work. First name/last name reversed, missing names, etc make the sort order ambiguous. An email address is a constant on the other hand.

Maybe you want to search for similar messages instead. You can do this with the magnifier glass in the collapsible addresses section between the message header and message text. If you use this frequently, you can add a button for this via the horizontal three dots menu just above the message text near the left side.

Sorting to find messages is generally not the most efficient way to find messages, unless you have a few dozen messages on your device only.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, so let me confirm.

I get that the emails were sorted by address. But in the list for me it always displayed the display names rather than the email address. I have been using that functionality for over a year and had originally got this through the Play store. For example, let's say I get a bunch of random emails from Twitter, Drop, ToM, Quara, etc. They would all be grouped together based on their email address, but would be listed by display name.

To confirm, you're saying that under this sort method display name should never have been visible? So rather than Buffalo Wild Wings it would be [email protected]? Because that's never how it worked for me before and today it started acting weird.

So basically either something regressed or I hit the luckiest bug in the world for a year because it worked perfectly for me.

Last edited:

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, so let me confirm.

I get that the emails were sorted by address. But in the list for me it always displayed the display names rather than the email address. I have been using that functionality for over a year and had originally got this through the Play store. For example, let's say I get a bunch of random emails from Twitter, Drop, ToM, Quara, etc. They would all be grouped together based on their email address, but would be listed by display name.

To confirm, you're saying that under this sort method display name should never have been visible? So rather than Buffalo Wild Wings it would be [email protected]? Because that's never how it worked for me before and today it started acting weird.

So basically either something regressed or I hit the luckiest bug in the world for a year because it worked perfectly for me.
This isn't a bug and it was changed about two months ago in version 1.1893 as a result of complaints about the visual sort order (names) not reflecting the real sort order (email addresses).

A compromise might be to show the email address and the name (so, reversed). If you are interested in a test version with this, please contact me via this form:

Reactions: mailm

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
The tutorials as created by @mkasimd are live now:

The tutorials are being referenced from the FAQ, the contact form and from the settings screen in the next version of the app.

If you are a native English speaker, can you please check if the spelling/style is okay?

Will_T

Oct 23, 2013
The tutorials as created by @mkasimd are live now:

If you are a native English speaker, can you please check if the spelling/style is okay?

The following tutorials describe how to configure FairEmail as well as how to modify the settings for your own requirements. FairEmail offers many options you can always explore yourself within the app or in the FAQ article. The tutorials here will only cover the basics that should suffice for most users.

NOTE: If you have any troubles, check this extensive FAQ. You may also ask in this XDA Forum thread or via this contact form. Bad reviews won't help you or the developer, so please try asking in person first.​

Just a couple suggestions from the intro page. If I see anything when I read the tutorials themselves, I will email those to you directly.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
The following tutorials describe how to configure FairEmail as well as how to modify the settings for your own requirements. FairEmail offers many options you can always explore yourself within the app or in the FAQ article. The tutorials here will only cover the basics that should suffice for most users.

NOTE: If you have any troubles, check this extensive FAQ. You may also ask in this XDA Forum thread or via this contact form. Bad reviews won't help you or the developer, so please try asking in person first.​

Just a couple suggestions from the intro page. If I see anything when I read the tutorials themselves, I will email those to you directly.

Updated, thanks!

Will_T

Oct 23, 2013
@M66B I saw only a few minor change suggestions in the tutorials but I could not get your contact form to accept the text with the formatting I used. So, I can post them here and then can delete the post once you copy it. Or, if there is another way to get to you, just let me know.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
@M66B I saw only a few minor change suggestions in the tutorials but I could not get your contact form to accept the text with the formatting I used. So, I can post them here and then can delete the post once you copy it. Or, if there is another way to get to you, just let me know.

Please contact me via the form, I will reply and you can reply again with an email ;-)

mkasimd

Apr 7, 2021
Düsseldorf
Does the mentioned possible data loss happen only on the device or also on the server?
SQLite is used by FairEmail as the app's local database. A data loss within there should not result in any data loss within the server. If that was the case, it'd be a huge bug within the FairEmail on top of the bug in Redmi Note (as deleting in the server requires an IMAP command being sent to the email server), and we can trust that Marcel would have communicated and fixed it already if that was the case 😉

With POP3, the messages are possibly deleted right after downloading the message. So if the data within the device is lost, the messages are lost for all eternity then. Because there are no messages stored in the server then.

Advice: use IMAP whenever possible

Reactions: fraschi51

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
SQLite is used by FairEmail as the app's local database. A data loss within there should not result in any data loss within the server. If that was the case, it'd be a huge bug within the FairEmail on top of the bug in Redmi Note (as deleting in the server requires an IMAP command being sent to the email server), and we can trust that Marcel would have communicated and fixed it already if that was the case 😉

With POP3, the messages are possibly deleted right after downloading the message. So if the data within the device is lost, the messages are lost for all eternity then. Because there are no messages stored in the server then.

Advice: use IMAP whenever possible
In addition: sqlite is the Android database system. FairEmail comes with a recent sqlite library because on older devices / Android versions there are often pretty old sqlite binaries with known and sometimes critical bugs. FairEmail links for this to the requery/sqlite-android project. You'll find some commit of me in this project as well.

sqlite is a pretty amazing piece of software!

Top Liked Posts

I understand the importance of getting paid hence why I purchased the Pro version. What I don't get is why everyone's insistent on having a subscription service for everything. Sorry but I don't make enough to subscribe to everything. Hence why I bundle where I can, onetime purchases if possible, or go without.
    But paying only once can also become a problem for the developer.

I had, in the context of a one-time payment, bought a software about 20 years ago, by means of which I can watch TV or record movies via a TV card on the PC. The software has been continuously developed over all these years.

Now I read on the website of the developer that due to all the streaming services the turnover has decreased in such a way that the income does not cover the costs anymore. I had then made a donation again, because I want to continue to use the software in the future.

But basically I'm with you, buying software by subscription is not my idea either. Possibly only if further payments would accrue every 2 to 3 years, but not in a monthly subscription.
    And again there was a one star (German) review because not everything was completely free, dragging again the average rating down, which has been going monotonously down only last weeks :-(
    Honestly, I just don't understand this free mentality. Anyone who thinks about it logically has to be aware that the software developer also has to make a living.

Let's take Windows backup software, for example. I would never think of using free software here. In case of a problem I have to be sure to get professional help. I can't necessarily expect that with free software (Not all developers are as committed as you, Marcel).
    QUESTION ABOUT FAIR EMAIL OPTIONS:
    Assuming the starting point of no on-device Google Account...

Q: Which of these Fair Email Google mail server options is "most" private?

1. 2SV/2FA (using any of a half dozen secondary methods), or,
    2. What Fair Email terms "GMail (Android)", or,
    3. What Fair Email terms "GMail (OAuth)".

Note Marcel knows the answer, so he can instantly nip this tangent in the bud by answering that question in a single word... (where I suspect the answer is undoubtably #3 but others strongly think it's #1 apparently, so I could be wrong - but it's NEVER gonna be #2.

The desired single word answer is "none". Google scans all your messages and you can only hope that the gathered information isn't used in an un-private way. Option 1 (assumed to be app passwords) and option 3 do not send extra information to Google. Option 2 requires an on-device Google account. You can control the sync options of a Google account via the Android settings. If these options work as expected and are turned off, no information should be sent to Google. This applies to all other Google services and apps, like Maps and Drive, too. You'll need to go into the settings and turn things off and trust that Google honors this.

I expect to see no more messages about this subject anymore, with no exceptions for anyone. If you want to continue discussing about this, you should create a new XDA thread for this.
    I have just uploaded a 4th YouTube video, with things which are not being described and not were asked for before ...
    Yesterday, the OAuth verification team requested a minor change and a test APK file, which probably means that the app fulfills all requirements now and that the verification process transitioned to the next phase. In any case this is looking good so far.
    Since I need a distraction anyway, I am trying to get a web OAuth flow for Gmail accounts approved by Google because it seems the policies were changed for this type of authentication. K9 mail was approved too, without the expensive security audit formerly required. This would allow authenticating Gmail accounts via OAuth without an on-device account.
    The next version will have optionally VirusTotal integration, so you can check attachments easily:

Screenshot_20220723-102554.png
    Using a Gmail account in FairEmail will inevitably leak your IP address, and thus your rough location, but nothing else, except the obvious: the messages you receive and sent and their meta data (sender, receiver, subject, etc).

Note that it is not a good idea to use a VPN to hide your IP address because you'll probably run into "Please log in via your web browser" at an inconvenient moment.

For HOTP and TOTP I recommend FreeOTP+.

I think enough has been said about the privacy aspects of a Google account now. Whether a Google account on your device is a privacy concern or not is off-topic here. If you want to keep discussing about this, please create another XDA thread for this. You can leave a link to the created thread here if you wish.
    ic_launcher.png

FairEmail
    Open source, privacy friendly email app for Android

banner7_long.png

See here for a description:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/

See here for screenshots:
    https://email.faircode.eu/#screenshots

Downloads:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email#user-content-downloads

Frequently asked questions:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/blob/master/FAQ.md

Please read this before requesting a new feature:
    https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/FAQ.md#user-content-get-support

This XDA thread is about using the latest version of FairEmail.

For support on authorizing an account you should consult the documentation of your provider, see also here.

Off topic comments are allowed as long they are related to FairEmail and are in the general interest of the followers of this thread.

Discussion of purchases is not allowed here, please contact me via here instead.
    How was the call with Google today, Marcel?

Google was pretty friendly and cooperative and told me the favicons are indeed the problem, and it can/should be fixed by updating in the privacy policy to "disclose how your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares user data":

Privacy Policy​

All apps must post a privacy policy in both the designated field in Play Console and within the app itself. The privacy policy must, together with any in-app disclosures, comprehensively disclose how your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares user data, not limited by the data disclosed in the Data Safety section. This must include:
    • developer information and a privacy point of contact or a mechanism to submit inquiries
    • disclosing the types of personal and sensitive user data your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares; and any parties with which any personal or sensitive user data is shared
    • secure data handling procedures for personal and sensitive user data
    • the developer’s data retention and deletion policy
    • clear labeling as a privacy policy (e.g., listed as “privacy policy” in title)
    The entity (e.g., developer, company) named in the app’s Google Play listing must appear in the privacy policy or the app must be named in the privacy policy. Apps that do not access any personal and sensitive user data must still submit a privacy policy.

Please make sure your privacy policy is available on an active URL (no PDFs) and is non-editable.

So, I have updated the privacy policy and added this new table:

https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/PRIVACY.md#summary-of-shared-data

I am not sure if it covers everything, so feedback is more than welcome. @mkasimd maybe you can take a look?

Note that I have also enabled BIMI, Gravatars, Libravatars and favicons for the Play store version again.

The short term goal is to release a Play store test version (and associated GitHub version) and to get the update approved. I will think about the next steps after this has been accomplished. Given the huge number of supportive messages I received (much appreciated!) the project will be continued in some form in any case.
    Version 1.1900 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval (which is the main goal of this release).

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/releases

My girlfriend is slowly recovering too :)
    It is time for a new, modern, open source, privacy friendly email client for Android.

I have just released a first alpha version for feedback on the design and features.

Not for production use yet!

Most of the stuff basically works, but be prepared for crashes and error notifications.

Safe email is a working name, but it is for several reasons not a convenient name, so suggestions for a name are welcome.
    I have just released alpha version 0.15

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/releases

With a bit of luck the next version can be a beta version.

I am putting a lot of effort into this project, so thanks are appreciated.