[APP][5.0+] FairEmail - Fully featured, open source, privacy oriented email app

Search This thread

harrisc

Mar 20, 2011
I am a long term user of FairEmail pro and I think I must have changed something on my 2 Android devices. I thought that in the past emails were synced automatically soon after they were sent. Now I have 2 different responses from my 2 Android devices, but neither receive emails soon after the emails are sent.

One devices seems to check the emails when not being used about every 15 minutes; a time I had set. On the other device the emails are only checked and read when I bring FairEmail to the front by a widget. As far as I can see the settings are the same.

What have I changed and what can I do to get emails pushed automatically?

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I am a long term user of FairEmail pro and I think I must have changed something on my 2 Android devices. I thought that in the past emails were synced automatically soon after they were sent. Now I have 2 different responses from my 2 Android devices, but neither receive emails soon after the emails are sent.

One devices seems to check the emails when not being used about every 15 minutes; a time I had set. On the other device the emails are only checked and read when I bring FairEmail to the front by a widget. As far as I can see the settings are the same.

What have I changed and what can I do to get emails pushed automatically?
Please check if receiving is enabled in the receive settings.
Also, please check if battery optimizations were disabled via setup step 3.

harrisc

Mar 20, 2011
battery optimizations are done on both devices. On the device only checking when starting FairEmail did have receive turned off; I don't know when or why I did this!!

I have now enabled receiving.

Should the devices receive messages automatically soon after they are sent or must I wait for the polling period?

Thanks again

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
battery optimizations are done on both devices. On the device only checking when starting FairEmail did have receive turned off; I don't know when or why I did this!!

I have now enabled receiving.

Should the devices receive messages automatically soon after they are sent or must I wait for the polling period?

Thanks again
If periodically checking for messages is enabled, you'll need to wait for the next poll. It is either that, or receiving push messages.

Note that battery optimizations need to be disabled.

harrisc

Mar 20, 2011
I had meant to say battery optimizations are already disabled.

So in RECEIVE I should set Automatically optimse on and the next option to Always?

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I had meant to say battery optimizations are already disabled.

So in RECEIVE I should set Automatically optimse on and the next option to Always?
Please tap on the info button to see what auto optimize does. It will switch back to polling for specific providers which send "Still here" every two minutes, resulting in a constant battery drain because the device can never sleep.

harrisc

Mar 20, 2011
Thanks.
I am now receiving messages automatically.

I will see how the devices react over the next 24 hours.

Thanks again for the app and your excellent support.

All the best
Chris

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I can only see the US Google store but I don't see this. In the year I have used the app the ratings there have been 4.7 usually. Maybe 4.6 or 4.8 once in a while. You cannot get any better than that. Basically a statistically perfect review rating. Just for fun, I quickly scrolled through hundreds of listed apps and saw almost no others with 4.7 or better. Certainly, way less than 1% of apps have that rating. So, you are with the creme de la creme of Apps on Goggle.

The problem is that the average Play store rating is constantly decreasing and that this is demotivating. For example:

Absoluter Müll,nach wenigen Versuchen gelöscht!! - 1 star
(Absolute garbage, deleted after a few tries !!)

This was a brilliant app and was on tne verge of purchasing, but as usual, developers cannot help but tinker away and suddenly the ability to simply add cc or bcc has vanished. Whats the point? I am sure there is some super clever geeky way to do this, but can i be bothered? No!! - 1 star

Since you consider the average rating to be near perfect, we can assume the app is near perfect too. So, I can safely ignore reviews like this and also any improvement requests, agreed? I have other things on my mind anyway, which is being reflected in the release frequency as well. I will keep fixing reported bugs though:

Also, the token grant rate limit problem still isn't solved either ...

Edit: waiting for the next death threat now ...

Last edited:
Reactions: mkasimd

Will_T

Oct 23, 2013
The problem is that the average Play store rating is constantly decreasing and that this is demotivating. For example:
As I said, I only see the US Playstore where that is certainly not true. 4.7 and steady still today. So maybe the rating is 3.9 and dropping in the German store, I don't know. I would be surprised if that was the case though. In the US store, very few apps get a better rating than Fairemail.

You have some unfortunate situations for sure in your life right now and we empathize with that. We appreciate the work you put into this app and also your responsiveness to questions, etc. However, some of us would just hope you could see that positive side and good wishes and not focus on the trolls and the few bad reviews, (most of which are the trolls). The trolls see that they get under your skin and that just encourages them.

Please try to see the glass as half full and not half empty. No scratch that. In the case of the US Playstore rating, the glass really is 94% full. Try not to focus on it being 6% empty.

Edit: waiting for the next death threat now ...

Of course, that should not be happening. I would think it is a matter for law enforcement but maybe that is naive of me to think they will or even can do anything.

Friedel25

Mar 17, 2016
Hannover
Hello Marcel,
In the German Playstore the average is 4,8 which is exceptionally good.
The averages in May to July are are hard to beat. If there were one less 1-star review in August, the average would be 4.77. Since there are not yet so many reviews in August, only one 1-star review has a strong impact.
I downvoted both 1-star reviews, and the one with "Absoluter Müll" I reported as inappropriate. Please ignore such reviews!

German Playstore:
Stars
Ø
May
3​
0​
2​
4​
253​
262​
4,92​
June
2​
1​
2​
2​
114​
121​
4,86​
July
1​
2​
0​
4​
88​
95​
4,85​
August
2​
1​
0​
0​
28​
31​
4,65​

Reactions: x2k13 and M66B

de_Wolf

Apr 30, 2022
So maybe the rating is 3.9 and dropping in the German store, I don't know.
Sorry, in the German Play Store the average rating was 4.9, not 3.9. It is currently at 4.8, but still very good in my opinion.

Edit:
Sorry, I noticed Friedel25's message later and could not delete mine.

Last edited:

Will_T

Oct 23, 2013
Sorry, in the German Play Store the average rating was 4.9, not 3.9. It is currently at 4.8, but still very good in my opinion.

Edit:
Sorry, I noticed Friedel25's message later and could not delete mine.
Yes, OK. My point was that I did not know what the rating in the German Playstore was...Only that the rating in the US was excellent. I was just guessing at a low rating for the German store as I keep seeing posts by the developer that there are lots of negative reviews dragging the rating down, down, down. I am surprised to hear that it is 4.9 or 4.8 in Germany though as that seems to be the Playstore that Marcel has been saying for months is "constantly decreasing". Not sure how Marcel is seeing that constantly decreasing rating given Friedel25's post and if the current rating is 4.8?

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Yes, OK. My point was that I did not know what the rating in the German Playstore was...Only that the rating in the US was excellent. I was just guessing at a low rating for the German store as I keep seeing posts by the developer that there are lots of negative reviews dragging the rating down, down, down. I am surprised to hear that it is 4.9 or 4.8 in Germany though as that seems to be the Playstore that Marcel has been saying for months is "constantly decreasing". Not sure how Marcel is seeing that constantly decreasing rating given Friedel25's post and if the current rating is 4.8?
Because there is more than the US and Germany.

Top Liked Posts