[APP][5.0+] FairEmail - Fully featured, open source, privacy oriented email app

Search This thread

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Is it possible to have FairEmail not check for new messages each time my connection changes?

I'm thinking about it from a privacy perspective. I'm using a VPN, and when I change countries Google instantly knows it because my work and business emails immediately sync.

Because Google is tools are used on almost all websites, they can take the IP address from my email sync, and match it to the timezone, screen size, language, etc that they get from my browser on other websites, and very likely know exactly who is browsing retail, news sites, etc.

I don't want to have to remember to manually sync. I'm playing around a little with schedules, but that's not really helping as I need email from 6 am to 10 pm.

Is there an option to sync once an hour?
You can configure this in the receive settings tab page.

harrisc

Mar 20, 2011
When moving messages from the Inbox to other folders I use the recently used folders, the 5 indirect folders and the three quick (direct) folders which are very useful. I understand that the 3 quick folders are generated from recent usage.

When moving a message I accidently cleared the 3 quick folders by touching the delete button. I know that this was my fault and the quick folders will be regenerated, but it would be useful to be asked to confirm the deletion (or at least have this as an option).

Chris

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
When moving messages from the Inbox to other folders I use the recently used folders, the 5 indirect folders and the three quick (direct) folders which are very useful. I understand that the 3 quick folders are generated from recent usage.

When moving a message I accidently cleared the 3 quick folders by touching the delete button. I know that this was my fault and the quick folders will be regenerated, but it would be useful to be asked to confirm the deletion (or at least have this as an option).

Chris
A confirmation would require a dialog on top of a dialog, which is something I am trying to avoid.
The app will 'learn' the most used move targets again, so I don't see this as an important thing.

Reactions: mkasimd

maybeme2

Aug 28, 2015
Google Pixel 5
Moto G 5G
Excellent app.
There is an icon to display images as long as Fairemail does not consider them to be trackers. Good.
Is there a privacy or safety issue selecting that option?
Is there a problem doing this for all messages?
Thanks.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Reactions: mrrocketdog

de_Wolf

Apr 30, 2022
That works! When I use "select app" without the "open" icon, Android asks me what browser to use and then uses a custom tab from that browser. When I turn off confirming links, the behaviour sticks and I can now open links in any custom tab from whatever browser that I choose each time I click a link. Thank you!!!

Do I now have to do anything because I installed a Github version over top of my Playstore version?

You don't have to do anything, but you could support the project with a donation:
If you want to switch back to the Play store version, you can disable checking for GitHub updates in the miscellaneous setting tab page, which will result in updating to the next Play store version.

You were helped very quickly and well a few days ago, @canaccc, which of the two options did you choose? Please let me know, thank you very much!

jakito

Aug 9, 2016
OnePlus 7 Pro
Hi!
I'm having a weird behavior with Fairemail after changing from A11 to A12.
It works perfectly every time except after I turn off mobile data and wifi during the night. When I turn it on after waking up, it says it can't sync and stays like that until I manually remove the operation. After that, it starts syncing again until I turn it all off for the night. I tried turning it all off for a few minutes but it didn't break anything. Must be the extended period without connection. I don't have a VPN or AdBlocker and I'm using the private DNS from cloudflare and have the premium version of Fairemail from GitHub.
I can give you some log cats after waking up tomorrow if you so wish. Thank you very much for your work!

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Hi!
I'm having a weird behavior with Fairemail after changing from A11 to A12.
It works perfectly every time except after I turn off mobile data and wifi during the night. When I turn it on after waking up, it says it can't sync and stays like that until I manually remove the operation. After that, it starts syncing again until I turn it all off for the night. I tried turning it all off for a few minutes but it didn't break anything. Must be the extended period without connection. I don't have a VPN or AdBlocker and I'm using the private DNS from cloudflare and have the premium version of Fairemail from GitHub.
I can give you some log cats after waking up tomorrow if you so wish. Thank you very much for your work!

Try 'force sync' in the three-dots menu.

Background:

https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/FAQ.md#user-content-faq123

Also, please make sure battery optimizations are disabled via setup step 3. Also take a look here:

I can probably give a better answers if you tell me the exact message representing "it says it can't sync" because that is not something the app will say.

jakito

Aug 9, 2016
OnePlus 7 Pro
Try 'force sync' in the three-dots menu.

Background:

https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/FAQ.md#user-content-faq123

Also, please make sure battery optimizations are disabled via setup step 3. Also take a look here:

I did try the force sync but it remained unchanged... it's not killing it. It's unoptimized and the process is working (at least according to the notification)

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I did try the force sync but it remained unchanged... it's not killing it. It's unoptimized and the process is working (at least according to the notification)
Next time it happens, please send me immediately the debug info by long pressing 'Support' in the navigation menu (left side menu). Please include a short problem description, so I know what it is about.

Samare

Nov 6, 2014
I just noticed the small delay when reopening FairEmail while already in memory.

There is a delay, but on most devices it is not noticeable. I had added a splash screen for this, but most people didn't like this, so it was removed again.

If only Google added decent support for apps with different themes. As it is now there will be a little delay or a white flash when a dark theme has been selected. Even Google's apps have this annoying white flash when using a dark theme!

Anyway, I can't make this better and choices have to be made.

Is this white flash still a problem? I didn't notice it with any other app on Android 12.
I also tried disabling the dark theme in FairEmail and/or in Android but it didn't make any difference.

I measured the delay between a tap and the start of the opening animation:
I got ~350 ms.
Then I enabled the option "Restore app state on start" in settings Behavior>General.
The delay became about ~250 ms.
This is still higher than the ~130 ms of other apps, which feel instantaneous.

EDIT: By the way, I noticed a kind of bug: sometimes, instead of the normal growing icon animation, I got a slide from the right of the screen animation.

By splash screen, do you mean an app content placeholder, like the grey ones when YouTube loads the suggested videos?

While searching for "delay" in this thread, I found out about this:

I have just released beta version 1.561

Changelog/download:
https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/releases

This version adds double tap to mark a message in a list read or unread. This is an experimental feature because a consequence is that opening messages will be delayed a little bit to make this possible. Please let me know if this is annoying / worth it.

Edit: how about showing a popup menu on double tap to mark a message read/unread, snooze, etc.

So I disabled "Double tap to mark message read/unread in Behavior>Conversation and the messages now open much faster. 🙂

Users may not know about feature and so have the delay without using it.
So you may want to disable it by default so make FairEmail faster unless the user chooses to enable it.
For current users, it may be possible to check if the user has ever used that feature and if not disable it.

About a recurring subscription, there's also the possibility to let Google Play users buy FairEmail and then subscribe to a unimportant service.

For example Sleep as Android (paid app) backups data (to Google Drive or DropBox) every week by default or everyday for about $3 per year.

You could do the same thing with FairEmail settings, which are currently only backed up manually.

Last edited:

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I just noticed the small delay when reopening FairEmail while already in memory.

Is this white flash still a problem? I didn't notice it with any other app on Android 12.
I also tried disabling the dark theme in FairEmail and/or in Android but it didn't make any difference.

I measured the delay between a tap and the start of the opening animation:
I got ~350 ms.
Then I enabled the option "Restore app state on start" in settings Behavior>General.
The delay became about ~250 ms.
This is still higher than the ~130 ms of other apps, which feel instantaneous.

EDIT: By the way, I noticed a kind of bug: sometimes, instead of the normal growing icon animation, I got a slide from the right of the screen animation.

By splash screen, do you mean an app content placeholder, like the grey ones when YouTube loads the suggested videos?

While searching for "delay" in this thread, I found out about this:

So I disabled "Double tap to mark message read/unread in Behavior>Conversation and the messages now open much faster. 🙂

Users may not know about feature and so have the delay without using it.
So you may want to disable it by default so make FairEmail faster unless the user chooses to enable it.
For current users, it may be possible to check if the user has ever used that feature and if not disable it.

About a recurring subscription, there's also the possibility to let Google Play users buy FairEmail and then subscribe to a unimportant service.

For example Sleep as Android (paid app) backups data (to Google Drive or DropBox) every week by default or everyday for about $3 per year.

You could do the same thing with FairEmail settings, which are currently only backed up manually.
The startup time has been improved a lot over time and I didn't do much for it: Google fixed/improved AndroidX. 250 ms is rather fast if you consider what the app needs to do on starting up.

Double tap to mark unread is very handy, but you are right there will be a slight delay. I took give this some thought.

Samare

Nov 6, 2014
The startup time has been improved a lot over time and I didn't do much for it: Google fixed/improved AndroidX. 250 ms is rather fast if you consider what the app needs to do on starting up.

Double tap to mark unread is very handy, but you are right there will be a slight delay. I took give this some thought.

I'm not talking about the cold start, but about resuming FairEmail after minimizing it.
Maybe the number of actions performed before showing the app could be reduced and done instead once the animation has started.

About cold start, I think it's better to show the app with an empty content placeholder than delay the app opening after the tap. Most apps show that placeholder on cold start.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I'm not talking about the cold start, but about resuming FairEmail after minimizing it.
Maybe the number of actions performed before showing the app could be reduced and done instead once the animation has started.

About cold start, I think it's better to show the app with an empty content placeholder than delay the app opening after the tap. Most apps show that placeholder on cold start.
A warm start is without any delay for me (Pixel 6) and only necessary actions, like loading the message list, will be performed on a warm start. Maybe loading the message list is causing the delay for you, which can happen if the internal storage space of the device is slow and/or there are a lot of messages stored on your device.

Displaying a placeholder on cold start will only delay the startup as it is not zero cost. The perceive startup time might be better, but the actual startup time isn't.

Samare

Nov 6, 2014
A warm start is without any delay for me (Pixel 6) and only necessary actions, like loading the message list, will be performed on a warm start. Maybe loading the message list is causing the delay for you, which can happen if the internal storage space of the device is slow and/or there are a lot of messages stored on your device.

Displaying a placeholder on cold start will only delay the startup as it is not zero cost. The perceive startup time might be better, but the actual startup time isn't.

It's a relatively fast device (S10), I couldn't find how to change the number of stored messages, but it's not huge.
250 ms vs 130 ms makes the difference between feeling instantaneous vs a noticeable delay (nothing happens after the tap).

Indeed, a placeholder doesn't help making it actually faster, but like the Android 12 start animation, it makes it feel faster.

Anyway, if there's no way to start the animation before starting loading the messages, so be it. I'm just wondering why the Gmail app can do it while loading more messages.

Top Liked Posts