[APP][5.0+] FairEmail - Fully featured, open source, privacy oriented email app

fraschi51

Mar 17, 2016
Version 1.1463 is available on GitHub now.

Changelog/download:
https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/releases

There is a new checkbox in the send dialog (long press send in the bottom action bar) to archive the conversation being replied to on sending the message. The checkbox state will be remembered for the next time.
Whereby this item is only displayed in the send dialog if you have enabled the conversation view in the settings.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Whereby this item is only displayed in the send dialog if you have enabled the conversation view in the settings.
Yes, that's correct, it will work for conversations only.

There is a good reason for that: a thread can always be looked up by thread ID, but the message being replied to cannot be reliably looked up because it could be deleted or moved to another folder at the time you send the message.

Reactions: fraschi51

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010

Changelog/download:

This version supports archiving on sending in single message mode too by looking up the message by message ID. @fraschi51 can you please double check if it works as intended.

Should trashing/archiving a conversation also trash/archive unread messages?

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Version 1.1465 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval, which usually takes a few hours.

Changelog/download:

This version adds local (=on device only) notes for messages. You can write a note via the horizontal three-dots menu just above the message text. There is also an optional button for when you are going to use this often.

I am not sure yet about the presentation of the notes in the message header yet. For now it is below the preview (if enabled), full width and bold. Suggestions are welcome.

Last edited:

nadir husain

Aug 31, 2019
Version 1.1465 is available on GitHub now.

Changelog/download:

This version adds local (=on device only) notes for messages. You can write a note via the horizontal three-dots menu just above the message text. There is also an optional button for when you are going to use this often.

I am not sure yet about the presentation of the notes in the message header yet. For now it is below the preview (if enabled), full width and bold. Suggestions are welcome.
Love the feature ! Would be great if u could somehow kick it back to the server as well.

fraschi51

Mar 17, 2016

Changelog/download:

This version supports archiving on sending in single message mode too by looking up the message by message ID. @fraschi51 can you please double check if it works as intended.
Honestly, Marcel, I can test this function only badly: 1. I archive only very rarely something - and if, then 2. only processes, which is also completed - that is with the answer sending certainly not the case, therefore I would archive also certainly nothing in this situation. It is also not entirely clear to me what is archived in each case: Also in single mode the complete conversation or only the single mail (then the translation would probably have to be different). If single mail, which one - the one I reply to or my reply as well?

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Honestly, Marcel, I can test this function only badly: 1. I archive only very rarely something - and if, then 2. only processes, which is also completed - that is with the answer sending certainly not the case, therefore I would archive also certainly nothing in this situation. It is also not entirely clear to me what is archived in each case: Also in single mode the complete conversation or only the single mail (then the translation would probably have to be different). If single mail, which one - the one I reply to or my reply as well?
In single message mode only the replied to message will be archived (=moved to the archive folder as set in the account settings).

In conversation mode all read incoming messages will be archived.

fraschi51

Mar 17, 2016
In single message mode only the replied to message will be archived (=moved to the archive folder as set in the account settings).

In conversation mode all read incoming messages will be archived.
If my replies are not archived as well, I will never have a complete conversation in the archive folder, right?
And the option should correctly read: "Archive the replied mail or all received and read mails of the entire conversation, if conversation mode / topic tree is set in the setting".

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
If my replies are not archived as well, I will never have a complete conversation in the archive folder, right?
And the option should correctly read: "Archive the replied mail or all received and read mails of the entire conversation, if conversation mode / topic tree is set in the setting".
The sent messages folder should be considered as archive for sent messages. Moving everything to the archive folder will make it hard to see what is incoming and outgoing.

Reactions: sbellon

fraschi51

Mar 17, 2016
The sent messages folder should be considered as archive for sent messages. Moving everything to the archive folder will make it hard to see what is incoming and outgoing.
But then I never have a complete conversation in one folder - I would have to keep switching between the Archive and Sent folders if I wanted to retrace that conversation later.
Also, I don't think *all* my sent mail is worth keeping, so when I occasionally clean out the Sent folder, I would have to look at each individual mail to see if it should be deleted or moved to the appropriate conversation in the Archive folder.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
But then I never have a complete conversation in one folder - I would have to keep switching between the Archive and Sent folders if I wanted to retrace that conversation later.
Also, I don't think *all* my sent mail is worth keeping, so when I occasionally clean out the Sent folder, I would have to look at each individual mail to see if it should be deleted or moved to the appropriate conversation in the Archive folder.
I have to make choices, which are based on what people commonly want, which in itself is influenced by how things generally work. Gmail, probably the biggest email provider next to Microsoft, doesn't archive sent messages, which is what people generally expect.

You can always move messages yourself and this is mostly a convenience feature anyway.

Dark_Eyes_

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Sep 19, 2013

Changelog/download:

Should trashing/archiving a conversation also trash/archive unread messages?
How about the option to trash on sent too? Most of the time I end up trashing the original mail rather than archiving it (for example questions from coworkers I don't need to keep)?

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
How about the option to trash on sent too? Most of the time I end up trashing the original mail rather than archiving it (for example questions from coworkers I don't need to keep)?
Most people keep their email for later reference, so this won't be commonly used.

Dark_Eyes_

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Sep 19, 2013
Most people keep their email for later reference, so this won't be commonly used.
I agree, I keep all my personal mail which accounts for about 20% of total traffic. Of the 80% work mail, 90% ends up in the trash because I have no use for it later (information that I've read, questions from coworker, etc.). But that's my personal use case and I understand if you don't want to add it! Thanks for the quick reply!

zzz2002

Dec 5, 2012
Toronto
I agree, I keep all my personal mail which accounts for about 20% of total traffic. Of the 80% work mail, 90% ends up in the trash because I have no use for it later (information that I've read, questions from coworker, etc.). But that's my personal use case and I understand if you don't want to add it! Thanks for the quick reply!
I think that the option to archive a whole conversation may be very important for legal reasons.
On at least one occasion in the past, the ability to access a whole conversation proved very useful in resolving a dispute.
However, I understand that my experience may not be common.