[APP][5.0+] FairEmail - Fully featured, open source, privacy oriented email app

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Version 1.1469 is available on GitHub now.

Changelog/download:
https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/releases

This version has a redesigned setup screen I like to receive feedback about. The texts are not made translatable yet because it might not be finished yet.

A nice addition IMHO is a dark original message view, which is possible now because newer Android System WebView versions support this (you'll need version 76 or later).

fraschi51

Mar 17, 2016
Version 1.1469 is available on GitHub now.

Changelog/download:
https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/releases

This version has a redesigned setup screen I like to receive feedback about. The texts are not made translatable yet because it might not be finished yet.

A nice addition IMHO is a dark original message view, which is possible now because newer Android System WebView versions support this (you'll need version 76 or later).
I love the new setup screen - reduction from five items to three! Also the dark original view and the delete button in the search dialog are enrichments.
Two comments about the setup screen:
1. in the manual setup, the German translations of the explanations overlap a bit in the middle (see screenshot - don't get irritated, the yellow sidebar on the right edge comes from Everywhere Launcher).
If you could solve it for the German by moving it slightly outwards, other translations might be even longer, so you might have to limit these fields in the middle, right? If necessary, longer translation texts will be wrapped on two lines.
2) If you have opened the manual setup in order to fine-tune accounts or identities, shouldn't the manual setup still be opened when you are done with the settings and come back via the back button, so that you can continue directly with the settings for the other point?

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: Friedel25

wimstefan

Sep 20, 2014
I guess you have to use a theme which is able the follow the system theme ...

The new dark view is wonderful btw and even though I don't have to use the setup function anymore I was checking out the new setup screen and found it very useful and clear!

Surfinette

May 23, 2010
@M66B
If you are looking to clean up the Main menu section, why don't you hide the "Done" blocks (i.e. grant permissions an battery optimization) when effectively done with them?
You could add a downward arrow to unhide them or add an option in the Miscellaneous section to revert those settings, which people will rarely do.

fraschi51

Mar 17, 2016
Marcel, you could also move the two items to the 'Manual setup and other options' section after they are done - then only the one item would remain.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Marcel, you could also move the two items to the 'Manual setup and other options' section after they are done - then only the one item would remain.
The idea in itself is good, but for support I need to have a consistent layout. Imagine if I ask somebody to check if battery optimizations are disabled, the answer could be "I can't find it", etc.

fraschi51

Mar 17, 2016
The idea in itself is good, but for support I need to have a consistent layout. Imagine if I ask somebody to check if battery optimizations are disabled, the answer could be "I can't find it", etc.
Yes, that's right, you would have to add that in case of doubt he has to open the section with the manual setup - just like you always add it with the longpress on support in the main menu ... ;-)

Surfinette

May 23, 2010
That is why I suggested to have them hidden behind an unfolding arrow