[APP][5.0+] FairEmail - Fully featured, open source, privacy oriented email app

gabi11

Dec 13, 2011
Hi,

I'm currently using the play store version.
I want to purchase the pro version, but thought about using the github version instead.

For the avarage user, no big difference between them?
Basically in github version updates are more frequent, right? (and Android auto support as I read... )

Anything else maybe?

Thanks!

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Hi,

I want to purchase the pro version, but thought about using the github version instead.

Basically in github version updates are more frequent, right? (and Android auto support as I read... )

Anything else maybe?

Thanks!
Besides the updates and Android Auto support, some links are different. That's all.

Reactions: gabi11

gabi11

Dec 13, 2011
Besides the updates and Android Auto support, some links are different. That's all.
Gr8 mate
So I'll do it and move to the github version.

Btw, quick question - I have a lot of folders.
Is there a way to search a folder in order to quickly access it and view its items?

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Gr8 mate
So I'll do it and move to the github version.

Btw, quick question - I have a lot of folders.
Is there a way to search a folder in order to quickly access it and view its items?
There is a folder search in the folder selection dialog, but not for the folder list of an account.

Instead, you can hide folders via the folder properties (long press a folder) and collapse folder sub trees you are not interested in and you can use the filter on subscribed folders to reduce the size of the folder list, which is in most cases more effective because you are probably not interested in most folders (anymore).

Last edited:
Reactions: gabi11

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Version 1.1501 1.1502 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:
https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/releases

Recent Play store reviews were pretty disappointing. I know I shouldn't look at them, but people often ask questions in Play store reviews. It is just sour to see 1 or 2 star ratings for just one little thing people don't like or miss, for example when a theme with their specific colors isn't there.

Lots of people want an app fully customizable for their needs, which I understand, but they want it to be completely free too, which I don't understand. This is just not reasonable looking at the amount of work that goes into an app. So, they rate 1 star if they discover one paid feature, while 98% of the app is free to use.

I wouldn't be surprised if most independent developers will have given up in five years or so and that only some big and ignorant companies are publishing apps.

If you didn't review FairEmail in the Play store yet and you can, please do.

Last edited:

greyhd

Apr 27, 2012
Marcel, this might be a dumb question. How do we stop emails from the promotion folders? I would only like email notifications from the primary gmail account and not the promotions folder. Thank you for the continued updates to the great app.

fraschi51

Mar 17, 2016
Marcel, this might be a dumb question. How do we stop emails from the promotion folders? I would only like email notifications from the primary gmail account and not the promotions folder. Thank you for the continued updates to the great app.
Longpress on the folder don't work?

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Dumb questions are only questions which were not asked ;-)

Please see here about how you can add the Gmail promotion folder:

https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/FAQ.md#user-content-faq100

After you have done this, you can create a match all rule for the promotion folder to automatically trash the messages. Please see here about filter rules:

https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/FAQ.md#user-content-faq71

Dijx

Feb 2, 2015
Hi,
I must have changed some option incidentally and now cannot find it... Message opens like nested view in message list while tapped instead of new screen...

Attachments

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Hi,
I must have changed some option incidentally and now cannot find it... Message opens like nested view in message list while tapped instead of new screen...
You'll want to disable two row mode in the display settings again.

Reactions: Dijx

AndroAlex

Feb 25, 2021
Hello dear forum community and of course M66B,
as a new member, I hope that I won't be bothering you in any way ...

@M66B
First of all, a big compliment for your heart and soul that you invest in your apps and for our privacy / data protection.
After purchasing NetGuard, I am now interested in FairMail. Both apps are serviced in a pleasant and grateful manner.
Now, when upgrading the apps that I have obtained from GitHub, a question arises, the answer of which I am very interested in:

In order to avoid garbage data as much as possible, what is the best way to upgrade an app like FairMail via APK-File from GitHub?
I think there are different options here:
A) Just install the new APK file over the running app?
B) Or stop the old app, then deactivate it, then delete the cache, then delete the program files, and then install the new APK file?
C) Or proceed as in point 2.) and then uninstall the old app, and then install the new APK file?

In advance thanky you very much for the answer of which upgrade process is the cleanest and leaves the least amount of "garbage"?

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Hello dear forum community and of course M66B,
as a new member, I hope that I won't be bothering you in any way ...

@M66B
First of all, a big compliment for your heart and soul that you invest in your apps and for our privacy / data protection.
After purchasing NetGuard, I am now interested in FairMail. Both apps are serviced in a pleasant and grateful manner.
Now, when upgrading the apps that I have obtained from GitHub, a question arises, the answer of which I am very interested in:

In order to avoid garbage data as much as possible, what is the best way to upgrade an app like FairMail via APK-File from GitHub?
I think there are different options here:
A) Just install the new APK file over the running app?
B) Or stop the old app, then deactivate it, then delete the cache, then delete the program files, and then install the new APK file?
C) Or proceed as in point 2.) and then uninstall the old app, and then install the new APK file?

In advance thanky you very much for the answer of which upgrade process is the cleanest and leaves the least amount of "garbage"?
Just update by installing the APK file over the current version is the best option.

Reactions: mrrocketdog

AndroAlex

Feb 25, 2021
I thank you M66B for your prompt information.
That means it doesn't matter whether I shut down / deactivate the running old app before upgrading / installing the new APK?

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I thank you M66B for your prompt information.
That means it doesn't matter whether I shut down / deactivate the running old app before upgrading / installing the new APK?
It is just more work and you might do it in a way that could result in data loss. So, let Android take care of this and everything will be fine.

Reactions: AndroAlex

mrrocketdog

Oct 27, 2013
Hi,

Anything else maybe?

Thanks!
yeah!!! , big difference. the pro version helps support the dev. its a good thing to do , if you're financially able.:good: