• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[APP][5.0+] FairEmail - Fully featured, open source, privacy oriented email app

Search This thread

heinhuiz

Nov 26, 2011
From experience: that results in bad reviews "no settings". The settings screens have been changed already several times!
What about a Lite version with only the most obvious/popular settings? So perhaps no Advanced settings in Receive, Send, Connection and Privacy, fewer Display and Behavior settings, no Encryption, only Android standard Notification settings and no Miscellaneous? A bit like how the app was when it was still the way you wanted it for yourself in 5MB ;-)
Then new users can get some experience before upgrading to the Full or Pro version.

heinhuiz

Nov 26, 2011
Some will like that, some will hate that. Making everyone happy is beyond possible. So don't let yourself down trying to achieve that.

But if bad reviews are demotivating for you and you would like to have some constructive critique, how about this: in the first days of the app running, showing a banner at the very top of the unified inbox; asking whether the user would like to share his first experiences using the app.

That would help you understand what users find bothering and what area needs improvement. It would also make the users see that you are a developer that actually cares about their opinions and actively improves the app. Once they experience that, I believe that the ratings should get more positive as a result. Especially so as you can add a request that the user may rate FairEmail positively in the Play Store if they found your response helpful, thus reminding him directly.
You should be very careful about the presentation of such a request. Personally, I really hate review requests, like all that mail that you get to review your purchase online: *boom*delete*and if I can avoid it I will never buy from you again. It should be on a splash screen at opening of the app, with a very clear, brief and polite message ("You are using FairEmail for 2 weeks now. Do you like it? Do you need help? Is something bothering you? You can share your experience by directly contacting the developer using the buttons below", and have buttons like 'No, thank you', 'Maybe later' and 'Yes, please'.

Reactions: mkasimd

mrrocketdog

Oct 27, 2013
hope it helps marcel. just spent a sh*t-load of time going thru playstore (u.s.) reviews , "up-voting" the 4/5 star reviews and giving a "not helpful" to the 3 or less stars. not even close to your time spent but hope it helps somehow.
stay well ,
dave

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Some will like that, some will hate that. Making everyone happy is beyond possible. So don't let yourself down trying to achieve that.

But if bad reviews are demotivating for you and you would like to have some constructive critique, how about this: in the first days of the app running, showing a banner at the very top of the unified inbox; asking whether the user would like to share his first experiences using the app.

That would help you understand what users find bothering and what area needs improvement. It would also make the users see that you are a developer that actually cares about their opinions and actively improves the app. Once they experience that, I believe that the ratings should get more positive as a result. Especially so as you can add a request that the user may rate FairEmail positively in the Play Store if they found your response helpful, thus reminding him directly.
The app asks for a review after a few weeks of usage, which in itself results in 1 star reviews :-(

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
You should be very careful about the presentation of such a request. Personally, I really hate review requests, like all that mail that you get to review your purchase online: *boom*delete*and if I can avoid it I will never buy from you again. It should be on a splash screen at opening of the app, with a very clear, brief and polite message ("You are using FairEmail for 2 weeks now. Do you like it? Do you need help? Is something bothering you? You can share your experience by directly contacting the developer using the buttons below", and have buttons like 'No, thank you', 'Maybe later' and 'Yes, please'.
Something like this is already there, but it is a good idea to add something like "I need help".

crypta

Your information ist understood by me as in: people which got asked will write a worse review as people who don't get asked would write just because they feel so.

This gets me to the following question:
Is the quantity of reviews more important (for e.g. market algorithms) than the quality?

If yes, you need a better way to ask for it.
If no, and quality is more important,you may skip the question to review completely until a great solution is found which increases both alike.

Flexmaen

May 17, 2011
Hi!
Is FairEmail able to catch localized reply prefixes?
If someone replies with "Re: Your Mail", everything is fine, but unfortunately some mail clients have the prefix in other languages like "Aw:" and "Sv:" and this will cause the subject to get very long like "Re: AW: AW: AW: Your mail".
Thunderbird for example has the possibility to set a value for "mailnews.localizedRe" where you can set these other prefixed, and the'll turned into a single "Re:" only (in your view as well as when you reply).

Didn't find this possiblity here, hope I didn't miss it in some FAQ.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Hi!
Is FairEmail able to catch localized reply prefixes?
If someone replies with "Re: Your Mail", everything is fine, but unfortunately some mail clients have the prefix in other languages like "Aw:" and "Sv:" and this will cause the subject to get very long like "Re: AW: AW: AW: Your mail".
Thunderbird for example has the possibility to set a value for "mailnews.localizedRe" where you can set these other prefixed, and the'll turned into a single "Re:" only (in your view as well as when you reply).

Didn't find this possiblity here, hope I didn't miss it in some FAQ.
FairEmail will remove all prefixes for all languages set in the system settings of Android. So, if you are communicating in different languages, add them all in the system settings and it will work as expected.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Your information ist understood by me as in: people which got asked will write a worse review as people who don't get asked would write just because they feel so.

This gets me to the following question:
Is the quantity of reviews more important (for e.g. market algorithms) than the quality?

If yes, you need a better way to ask for it.
If no, and quality is more important,you may skip the question to review completely until a great solution is found which increases both alike.
Basically, it is never good enough :-(

Mariner55

Mar 28, 2015
Hamburg
German guys are pretty satisfied with the app. Most critical reviewers say again and again that the app has too many settings and is therfore not well-arranged. Is it possible, Marcel, to have two setting views? One for beginners and one for experts which can be unlocked easily. What do you think?
A reduced set of settings as default and a prominent button "expert settings" looks like a good solution to me.
My first experience with FairEMail, when I looked for an [email protected] replacement, was like this: I imported two of my accounts (which I found easy), switched to dark mode - and was pretty disappointed by the optics (sorry, that was my first impression ). There were icons and lines which distorted the emails and the listing of emails seemed confusing. So I switched to the settings menu and was overwhelmed by the multitude of them. I tried this and that to get the 'clean look' I was looking for - and gave up after two hours or so. It was only a few weeks later, still without a satisfying replacement, when I came back to FairEMail and dug deeper into it. It took me a whole weekend to try most of the settings (which is a tiring back and forth between the settings and the emails) to find out, what they really do, which are important and which nice to have. Today I am a commited user of FairEMail and still impressed by its abilities. But I was close to missing it.
So, yes, a reduced set of settings as a starting point might have spared me the initial disappointment. Though I see the difficulty in deciding, which settings to exclude from initial.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
A reduced set of settings as default and a prominent button "expert settings" looks like a good solution to me.
My first experience with FairEMail, when I looked for an [email protected] replacement, was like this: I imported two of my accounts (which I found easy), switched to dark mode - and was pretty disappointed by the optics (sorry, that was my first impression ). There were icons and lines which distorted the emails and the listing of emails seemed confusing. So I switched to the settings menu and was overwhelmed by the multitude of them. I tried this and that to get the 'clean look' I was looking for - and gave up after two hours or so. It was only a few weeks later, still without a satisfying replacement, when I came back to FairEMail and dug deeper into it. It took me a whole weekend to try most of the settings (which is a tiring back and forth between the settings and the emails) to find out, what they really do, which are important and which nice to have. Today I am a commited user of FairEMail and still impressed by its abilities. But I was close to missing it.
So, yes, a reduced set of settings as a starting point might have spared me the initial disappointment. Though I see the difficulty in deciding, which settings to exclude from initial.
How an app should look like is rather subjective. This also explains the many options.

I could make the app look like and behave the same as for example the Gmail app, with almost no settings, but I don't think that is a good idea. Options allow people to customize things. I don't think that is a bad thing, considering that you don't have to change any option to use the app. There will be a more explicit message about this in the next version.

I am curious which options you changed and if the default should be changed.

It is impossible to make everybody happy. My problem is more that people are too often rather harsh and unfriendly, which is rather disappointing given that the app is basically free to use. I won't give up, but I understand completely why many independent developers already gave up. It is easy to complain about that big companies are taking over, but people are causing this themselves.

crypta

No, I think into the opposite direction.
Are all marketing instruments needed or may it lead to a more satisfying experience without all the bells and whistles?

The question is for real as I stated,that I cannot guess the impact if the quantity decreases.

Regards settings and defaults.I think I am using very default settings.here and there I may changed some over the time. But I don't remember any settings I needed badly.
Please,don't get me wrong, even if is it a bit confusing to guess what each does, I really like the options. I would call em mandatory 😉.
Also, I dislike these days with oversimplified app settings, for letting the user waste more time in games or other things.

maybeme2

Aug 28, 2015
Marcel, it is impossible to please everyone. People have different needs. FairEmail is an amazing app. Many users think so. But it is not for everyone.
Another solution (which I gather would take too much development time and effort) would allow you to have the extraordinary customization options without the frustration in trying them.

The time and frustration in trying various options would be greatly reduced if the result of a changed option was immediately visible in an upper window. So when one clicks on "option 1" the resulting change is instantly visible and can be removed if the user finds it not to his/her liking.

But I understand that implementing this would take an unacceptable amount of development time. However it would solve some of the frustration and improve the ratings — which are already extraordinarily high. FairEmail is unquestionably head and shoulders better than any other email app available. IMHO, Marcel should just ignore the ridiculous ratings.

Only.Me

Sep 5, 2019
The app asks for a review after a few weeks of usage, which in itself results in 1 star reviews :-(
I've never understood apps bugging users for ratings... I cannot see how that would ever result in a net gain in positive reviews. It seems like just asking for mostly bad reviews. Annoy someone, and they are bound to overreact and rate 1 star.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I've never understood apps bugging users for ratings... I cannot see how that would ever result in a net gain in positive reviews. It seems like just asking for mostly bad reviews. Annoy someone, and they are bound to overreact and rate 1 star.
Maybe. The other side is that people more often rate bad if they think there is a problem and less people rate good if everything works fine. This is why is being asked for ratings as well, to keep a healthy balance.

You could say the whole rating system is unfair.

Flexmaen

May 17, 2011
Can you please check the translation of Re: on Crowdin? You can go to Crowdin via the navigation menu of the app.

I'm not very familiar with Crowdin. In which file should I find that translation?

I noticed that German/Austria is at 0% while German is at 59%. Don't know if this can causa issues. I did a quick search for "Aw:" (which is the translation of "Re:") but didn't find it there.

Top Liked Posts

Version 1.1661 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/releases

It is possible to select what to import now.

Did you know that FairEmail will send the first email to an Indian email address? At least this is what is being said in a recent German 1 star Play store review (some voting down would be appreciated).
    Version 1.1661 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:

It is possible to select what to import now.

Did you know that FairEmail will send the first email to an Indian email address? At least this is what is being said in a recent German 1 star Play store review (some voting down would be appreciated).

Hi,

Can't see that in my store version, but done a good down vote session for the occasion : o ]

The comments are still very good for what I can see !

Thanks again Marcel - I'll try to send a few donation as soon as I can and plan to do it every year.
    You deserve it, far more then a lot of others, a lot...
    I don't understand people who bought a phone for hundreds even thousands money worth, but still able to complain for the best free app ever.

I use 5 things every day on my phone :
    (0. vpn - netguard)
    1. Keyboard
    2. Contact/call
    3. Email
    4. Calendar
    5. Messaging app

The others is not mandatory (not every day).

If one day you feel to start a keyboard project, with your philosophy, I could donate a lot (as I can't help with code).

Take some rest - be well
    Hi,

Can't see that in my store version, but done a good down vote session for the occasion : o ]

The comments are still very good for what I can see !

Thanks again Marcel - I'll try to send a few donation as soon as I can and plan to do it every year.
    You deserve it, far more then a lot of others, a lot...
    I don't understand people who bought a phone for hundreds even thousands money worth, but still able to complain for the best free app ever.

I use 5 things every day on my phone :
    (0. vpn - netguard)
    1. Keyboard
    2. Contact/call
    3. Email
    4. Calendar
    5. Messaging app

The others is not mandatory (not every day).

If one day you feel to start a keyboard project, with your philosophy, I could donate a lot (as I can't help with code).

Take some rest - be well
    Thanks. Actually, I am having a little holiday being in Corona safer Germany (compared to the Netherlands).
    I think the covid delta variant has made people completely lose their ability to think. What idiot would say something like this?
    Did you know you'll get magnetic after being vaccinated?!
    Then I will know the difference between the North and South poles;)
    And you'll never need to search for your keys anymore.
    I think most of us lovers of FairEmail are worried about the same thing.
    Unlike AquaMail, FairEmail is open source.

Besides that I am a fan of my own app ;-)
    Version 1.1646 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:

A notable addition is support for Brand Indicators for Message Identification (BIMI), which you can enable in the display settings. When there is a BIMI DNS record and SPF, DKIM and DMARC are passing, a check mark will be shown before the sender's name. This will work for for example Booking.com.

Some background information:

Version 1.1645 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:

All reported bugs have been fixed.
    Version 1.1659 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:

All reported problems, most minor problems, have been fixed.
    Version 1.1638 is available on GitHub (only) now.

Changelog/download:

You can enable showing background colors in the display settings (edit: for the reformatted message view). Please let me know how your messages look like with this enabled. Is it an improvement or not?

You can also compose messages and set a background color via the text styling options.
    ic_launcher.png

FairEmail
    Open source, privacy friendly email app for Android

banner7_long.png

See here for a description:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/

Downloads:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email#user-content-downloads

See this XDA article for some screenshots:
    https://www.xda-developers.com/fairemail-open-source-privacy-friendly-email/

See here for more screenshots:
    https://email.faircode.eu/#screenshots

Frequently asked questions:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/blob/master/FAQ.md

This XDA thread is about using the latest version of FairEmail.

For support on authorizing an account you should consult the documentation of your provider, see also here.

Off topic comments are allowed as long they are related to FairEmail and are in the general interest of the followers of this thread.

Discussion of purchases is not allowed here, please contact me via here instead.

XDA:DevDB Information
    FairEmail, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    M66B
    Source Code: https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/

Version Information
    Stable

Created 2018-08-02
    Last Updated 2020-11-18
    It is time for a new, modern, open source, privacy friendly email client for Android.

I have just released a first alpha version for feedback on the design and features.

Not for production use yet!

Most of the stuff basically works, but be prepared for crashes and error notifications.

Safe email is a working name, but it is for several reasons not a convenient name, so suggestions for a name are welcome.
    I have just released alpha version 0.15

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/releases

With a bit of luck the next version can be a beta version.

I am putting a lot of effort into this project, so thanks are appreciated.
    I have just released alpha version 0.10

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/releases

I have put many hours into developing and debugging this release, so thanks are appreciated.

This version is still not suitable for production, but all basic functions are present now. The goal is now to stabilize this version into a first beta release, so please let me hear what problems you have.

Edit: due to database changes you'll need to setup your accounts/identities again.
    I have just released beta version 1.745

Changelog/download:

The changelog might seem uninteresting, but in fact displaying messages has been rewritten to introduce inline displaying of original messages. I spent about two days developing and testing this, so at least a "thanks" will be appreciated.

Some background: normally the web view cannot be used in a scrolling list (of messages in a conversation) and although there exist several workarounds for this, none were satisfactory. However, I had a completely novel idea (as far as I know) about how to approach this without the usual edge cases (hopefully) !

To do: investigate if using a dark background is feasible (setting the background dark is simple, but the challenge is to modify the message so that everything is still readable). I will consider to add an option to always display original messages.

Please report any problem you discover, so it can be fixed.