• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[APP][5.0+] FairEmail - Fully featured, open source, privacy oriented email app

Search This thread

topcaser

Dec 17, 2005
I could reduce the number to two, but listing them below each other is IMHO not a option because of the space it will take. This is the whole reason I have been hesitant to add this feature from the beginning. It is fine if you have a bigger screen and less nice if you have a smaller screen.

Yep, I see. I would argue exactly like you regarding listing them below each other.

My concept (coming from Google's tagging) is to have only a few folders to get the emails sort quickly. Therefore the names are a bit longer. E. G. "Bank und Versicherungen". Fairmail shows "...rsicherung". Hm

I would implement to show three folders like it is. But I would do the abbreviation not at the beginning but at the end. This is somehow strange to read (see example above) since most of the human being are reading from left to right.

Let's see how it feels then. I could imagine that it is much better. If it is still hard to operate you could (if it's programmatically not too complex) limit the suggestions to two if a folder string is too much shortened.

fraschi51

Mar 17, 2016
Yep, I see. I would argue exactly like you regarding listing them below each other.

My concept (coming from Google's tagging) is to have only a few folders to get the emails sort quickly. Therefore the names are a bit longer. E. G. "Bank und Versicherungen". Fairmail shows "...rsicherung". Hm

I would implement to show three folders like it is. But I would do the abbreviation not at the beginning but at the end. This is somehow strange to read (see example above) since most of the human being are reading from left to right.

Let's see how it feels then. I could imagine that it is much better. If it is still hard to operate you could (if it's programmatically not too complex) limit the suggestions to two if a folder string is too much shortened.
Most of the time it is not necessary to assign such long folder names. For example, instead of 'Banken und Versicherungen', you could name the folder 'Finanzen'. That would be much shorter.
And in addition, you could use rules for different senders, then you will never be confronted with this space limitation anyway, but you would still have your mails in the desired folder.

mrrocketdog

Oct 27, 2013
hey marcel , alias @M66B ; this just started yesterday which i plan on fixing by deleteing the top 3 emails. but have you ever seen this ? kinda crazy. lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210415-200244.png
    Screenshot_20210415-200244.png
    242.3 KB · Views: 49

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010

Consider [Gmail]/All messages. Wherever the folder name is abbreviated there is always a problem. My estimation is that the end part will be the most relevant in most cases. Choices need to be made.

Hello,
I have an inconvenience with the "reply to list" feature, there is no way to include the previous messages in the answer :

Use case here : I'm quite active in openSUSE mailing lists, but every answer is completed with the complete feed to not get new participants lost, I know I can use Reply to All feature but I don't want to send 2 copies (or delete the sender each and every time) to the same people only the list is requested

Is there a way that that could be implemented please?

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Hello,
I have an inconvenience with the "reply to list" feature, there is no way to include the previous messages in the answer :

Use case here : I'm quite active in openSUSE mailing lists, but every answer is completed with the complete feed to not get new participants lost, I know I can use Reply to All feature but I don't want to send 2 copies (or delete the sender each and every time) to the same people only the list is requested

Is there a way that that could be implemented please?
List owners generally do not like it if all prior content is included with each message, which is why it works as it does.

What you can do, is select the text you want to include before list replying. This works for "normal" replies too.

mrrocketdog

Oct 27, 2013
It seems to me that you've set an importance for some of the messages. These will be sorted on top or at the bottom depending on the importance.
naw , no importance set. although that would explain it.
went ahead with plan and deleted last 3 emails so i'll see what happens and report back.
thank you for quick response and idea of what might be happening.:good:

mrrocketdog

Oct 27, 2013
@M66B , thanks for your help. i double checked just to make sure i hadnt set an "importance" for any mail or folder and none found.
so i sent 2 test mails to myself (after i had deleted the top 3) and mail is now coming in in order of time and day.
maybe just a one time glitch? maybe my rom glitch? idk , but all is back to normal. thanks again for your help and dedication.
stay well ,
dave

mrrocketdog

Oct 27, 2013
ok , apologies for such a newb Q but i just flashed a new rom and upon setting up FE there is a setting i cannot find.
to receive unlimited size of ...... stuff. there was an infinity symbol if i remember correctly.
anyone can help an old guy out? (then i will save/export settings).
thanks ,
dave

fraschi51

Mar 17, 2016
ok , apologies for such a newb Q but i just flashed a new rom and upon setting up FE there is a setting i cannot find.
to receive unlimited size of ...... stuff. there was an infinity symbol if i remember correctly.
anyone can help an old guy out? (then i will save/export settings).
thanks ,
dave
Settings - Connection .... whereby this setting only affects mobile connections (whereby it should not matter in the WLAN).

Reactions: mrrocketdog

topcaser

Dec 17, 2005
And in addition, you could use rules for different senders, then you will never be confronted with this space limitation anyway, but you would still have your mails in the desired folder.
I haven't understand the rules completely. What happens (and what are the consequences even with other clients) if I define a rule?

I assume the email is moved automatically from fairmail. Some questions in fairmail:
- if sync is deactivated for this folder what happens?
- is the email still shown in my inbox or can I miss the email?
- what happens with the rule if I opened the email with another client during deactivated mobile connection

For other clients:
- what happens in other clients if the rule was applied? Can I miss the email there? (I use thunderbird on my private desktop as well a Web client for my office desktop)

fraschi51

Mar 17, 2016
I haven't understand the rules completely. What happens (and what are the consequences even with other clients) if I define a rule?

I assume the email is moved automatically from fairmail. Some questions in fairmail:
- if sync is deactivated for this folder what happens?
- is the email still shown in my inbox or can I miss the email?
- what happens with the rule if I opened the email with another client during deactivated mobile connection

For other clients:
- what happens in other clients if the rule was applied? Can I miss the email there? (I use thunderbird on my private desktop as well a Web client for my office desktop)
If you move a mail A to the destination folder B by rule (and do not copy it), then of course you will only see it in the destination folder B - and this in all clients (IMAP assumed), i.e. in FE as well as in TB. Therefore, it would certainly be a good idea to switch on the new mail notification for this destination folder in FE (long press on the folder) and the sync.

Top Liked Posts

I only have a problem with unreasonable reviews.
    You said it: they are 'unreasonable'! That is they don't make sense.

But you are a caring human so I understand your pain. Yet as others have said, and the ratings prove it, Fairemail is by far the best email app for android. That too is a fact.
    Does anyone have a way of adding an email into a task?

Typically if I want to remember add a task from an email into my workflow I will choose 'add to calendar' from FairEmail and then make a calendar entry to ensure that the task is complete.

However, OpenTasks is a better system for managing this process.

What's the best way to add a task from FairEmail into a task list?
    Share message is your best option because there is no standard Android API for tasks.
    thanks - share message should work but I don't get TASKS in the app list as an option?
    The list with share targets is compiled by Android based on the capabilities listed in the app manifest. In other words, you'll need to contact the author of the app for this.
    thanks - share message should work but I don't get TASKS in the app list as an option?
    I see 'Tasks', but I have installed the app 'Tasks' ... ;-)
    Version 1.1719 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/releases

Like most previous recent releases this is a maintenance release. There is one new feature: tapping on the folder name in the message header when viewing a conversation/message will navigate to the folder. This feature is not available in the Play store version yet.
    Version 1.1720 is available on GitHub now.

Changelog/download:

Tapping on the folder name in conversation threads has been changed into long pressing the folder name to prevent interference with expanding/collapsing messages.
    Version 1.1702 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:
    Version 1.1725 1.1726 is available on GitHub now.

The changelog is part of the app now.
    Version 1.1721 is available on GitHub now.

Changelog/download:

This is mostly a maintenance release. Sophos Email Appliance links will be decoded now, so you can see which link you'll open, avoiding the proxy server. Some businesses use this. Note that this can be used to track you too.
    ic_launcher.png

FairEmail
    Open source, privacy friendly email app for Android

banner7_long.png

See here for a description:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/

Downloads:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email#user-content-downloads

See this XDA article for some screenshots:
    https://www.xda-developers.com/fairemail-open-source-privacy-friendly-email/

See here for more screenshots:
    https://email.faircode.eu/#screenshots

Frequently asked questions:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/blob/master/FAQ.md

This XDA thread is about using the latest version of FairEmail.

For support on authorizing an account you should consult the documentation of your provider, see also here.

Off topic comments are allowed as long they are related to FairEmail and are in the general interest of the followers of this thread.

Discussion of purchases is not allowed here, please contact me via here instead.

XDA:DevDB Information
    FairEmail, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    M66B
    Source Code: https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/

Version Information
    Stable

Created 2018-08-02
    Last Updated 2020-11-18
    It is time for a new, modern, open source, privacy friendly email client for Android.

I have just released a first alpha version for feedback on the design and features.

Not for production use yet!

Most of the stuff basically works, but be prepared for crashes and error notifications.

Safe email is a working name, but it is for several reasons not a convenient name, so suggestions for a name are welcome.
    I have just released alpha version 0.15

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/releases

With a bit of luck the next version can be a beta version.

I am putting a lot of effort into this project, so thanks are appreciated.
    I have just released alpha version 0.10

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/releases

I have put many hours into developing and debugging this release, so thanks are appreciated.

This version is still not suitable for production, but all basic functions are present now. The goal is now to stabilize this version into a first beta release, so please let me hear what problems you have.

Edit: due to database changes you'll need to setup your accounts/identities again.
    I have just released beta version 1.745

Changelog/download:

The changelog might seem uninteresting, but in fact displaying messages has been rewritten to introduce inline displaying of original messages. I spent about two days developing and testing this, so at least a "thanks" will be appreciated.

Some background: normally the web view cannot be used in a scrolling list (of messages in a conversation) and although there exist several workarounds for this, none were satisfactory. However, I had a completely novel idea (as far as I know) about how to approach this without the usual edge cases (hopefully) !

To do: investigate if using a dark background is feasible (setting the background dark is simple, but the challenge is to modify the message so that everything is still readable). I will consider to add an option to always display original messages.

Please report any problem you discover, so it can be fixed.