[APP][5.0+] FairEmail - Fully featured, open source, privacy oriented email app

Search This thread

nubla

Sep 7, 2020
If you tap on the second button in the notification settings of the app, the right Android notification channel settings will be opened. How these settings look, depend on the Android version. Mostly you need to tap on the channel name before the switch for more options.
I'm on a custom /e/ ROM based on Android 9. I found those notification settings for sound, vibrate, blinking light, showing the notification dot, but nothing about color.

Ultimately though, I'm happy with the default yellow color. I just find it so strange for the LED to change colors mid-notification. Have you heard of this before?

mkasimd

Apr 7, 2021
I have the same question as you: on one hand it might help and on the other hand data is sent to Google. I don't know what is better.

Google safe browsing is disable by default though.
I believe to remember that the safebrowsing data can also be downloaded and used from a local database instead of sending requests to Google for each URL. That is probably a bit too much for an email client and a task that should be done network-wide instead just on a single device, but a feature that could be enabled by choice without sending possibly sensitive information to Google (just not as a default option of course).

I'm just not sure inhowfar the hassle of implementing it plus the toll on the device (increased data and disk space usage) would be justified, though. Instead, anybody worried about that should install a pfSense or OPNSense firewall into the netwoork with some squid proxy intercepting all traffic and scanning against the local safebrowsing database if that's a huge problem for them instead of expecting it from an email client.. Just my two cents on this.

mrrocketdog

Oct 27, 2013
hello @M66B or anyone else that might know. i am on latest github v. of FE with auto-sync disabled. yet everytime i open the app it immediately begins to sync instead of waiting for me to "pull down to refresh/sync". anyone have an idea how to stop this auto-sync upon opening?
thanks for reading any help/suggestions ,
dave

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I'm on a custom /e/ ROM based on Android 9. I found those notification settings for sound, vibrate, blinking light, showing the notification dot, but nothing about color.

Ultimately though, I'm happy with the default yellow color. I just find it so strange for the LED to change colors mid-notification. Have you heard of this before?
I have not heard of this before.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I believe to remember that the safebrowsing data can also be downloaded and used from a local database instead of sending requests to Google for each URL. That is probably a bit too much for an email client and a task that should be done network-wide instead just on a single device, but a feature that could be enabled by choice without sending possibly sensitive information to Google (just not as a default option of course).

I'm just not sure inhowfar the hassle of implementing it plus the toll on the device (increased data and disk space usage) would be justified, though. Instead, anybody worried about that should install a pfSense or OPNSense firewall into the netwoork with some squid proxy intercepting all traffic and scanning against the local safebrowsing database if that's a huge problem for them instead of expecting it from an email client.. Just my two cents on this.
I have looked into this before, but there was a reason why this wasn't going to work for FairEmail. I can't remember the reason though because it was quite a while ago.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
hello @M66B or anyone else that might know. i am on latest github v. of FE with auto-sync disabled. yet everytime i open the app it immediately begins to sync instead of waiting for me to "pull down to refresh/sync". anyone have an idea how to stop this auto-sync upon opening?
thanks for reading any help/suggestions ,
dave
There is an option to initiate a sync on opening the app in the behavior settings (first option). Maybe you've enabled this?

Reactions: mrrocketdog

topcaser

Dec 17, 2005
Hi, how are does the archive button works? First I have assumed that the email is moved to a folder but the folder dialog isn't opening. Is it possible to reconfigure the behaviour?

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Hi, how are does the archive button works? First I have assumed that the email is moved to a folder but the folder dialog isn't opening. Is it possible to reconfigure the behaviour?
The archive button will move the message/conversation to the archive folder selected in the account settings.

By default you'll need to confirm this, but you can disable this.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I still like to hear if OAuth of Outlook works okay. I cannot test this with my account (a developer account) and I am not allowed to create multiple accounts, which would also be risky considering that OAuth depends on my developer account.

mrrocketdog

Oct 27, 2013
There is an option to initiate a sync on opening the app in the behavior settings (first option). Maybe you've enabled this?
"synch on start" is off. what if i changed "snooze time" to 999 hours.? or any other suggestions?
p.s. ty for such quick responses. :)

mkasimd

Apr 7, 2021
Marcel, I got a question that might be of general interest, so asking here instead of via mail. Did you change some default values some time v1.1570 or later? For a few versions now, I realize different behavior.

For instance, a while ago the app started showing mails in a two column portrait mode. I thought I turned it on accidentally some time and turned it off. Then now I relized that replies are sent in the bottom instead of above the original message as done previously.

If this wasn't a change made by you, but something I accidentally switched, all fine. But if you did change the defaults, could you make it so that the changes do not apply to existing users? Cause after a long time using the app, I have it working to my taste and a change to that is just annoying a great deal.

Also, where can I set it up that replies are sent above the original message? (Nevermind, found it)

Last edited:

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Marcel, I got a question that might be of general interest, so asking here instead of via mail. Did you change some default values some time v1.1570 or later? For a few versions now, I realize different behavior.

For instance, a while ago the app started showing mails in a two column portrait mode. I thought I turned it on accidentally some time and turned it off. Then now I relized that replies are sent in the bottom instead of above the original message as done previously.

If this wasn't a change made by you, but something I accidentally switched, all fine. But if you did change the defaults, could you make it so that the changes do not apply to existing users? Cause after a long time using the app, I have it working to my taste and a change to that is just annoying a great deal.

Also, where can I set it up that replies are sent above the original message? (Nevermind, found it)
The defaults were not changed. You can change the reply location in the send settings.

Reactions: mkasimd

no.one.writeme

Aug 6, 2009
Nearby Lisbon
I still like to hear if OAuth of Outlook works okay. I cannot test this with my account (a developer account) and I am not allowed to create multiple accounts, which would also be risky considering that OAuth depends on my developer account.
Hi @M66B ,
Just an heads up.
I have a Hotmail account with 2FA via Microsoft Authenticator.
Just setup that account with OAuth and authorized via presented steps by FairEmail and it is working like my other Gmail accounts.
Hope that was the feedback your are looking for.
Best regards.
Luis

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Hi @M66B ,
Just an heads up.
I have a Hotmail account with 2FA via Microsoft Authenticator.
Just setup that account with OAuth and authorized via presented steps by FairEmail and it is working like my other Gmail accounts.
Hope that was the feedback your are looking for.
Best regards.
Luis
That's nice to hear. Was this a @hotmail.com address?

Top Liked Posts

Version 1.1575 is available on GitHub now.

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/releases

This version adds sub (indented) lists. This was not easy to add (it took me more than a day to get everything right). All text style options have been restructured, so please check if everything still works as expected and if you find a problem or some edge case, please let me know, so I can fix it.
    Version 1.1576 1.1577 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:

I like to hear whether you like or not the new menu icons (in the multiple selection, message actions, answer and text style menus).
    Version 1.1576 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:

I like to hear whether you like or not the new menu icons (in the multiple selection, message actions, answer and text style menus).
    I like the new menu icons.
    No problem so far ... text with lists is looking good 👍🏼
    Just to be sure: sub lists were always supported for viewing messages. New is that you can compose sub lists.
    Whilst OpenKeychain does the trick, its inconvenient as we need to open each encrypted email in OpenKeychain and its interface is not good at all and very limited vs FairMail.
    You do not have to open received mails in OpenKeychain to decrypt, nor encrypt outgoing mails within OpenKeychain if a confirmed key is already set up for the recipient and sender address.

Fairemail already has an interface to talk to OpenKeychain directly. You just press the lock icon to decrypt. Both for PGP and S/MIME encrypted mails. And you can just set FairEmail to send PGP encrypted within the sending options. That's sufficient without having to see anything outside of FairEmail.

Only if you are sending a mail to a recipient whose key you have never used before yet, you might have to import a key into OpenKeychain and confirm its fingerprint first. Or if you do not have a key pair for your outgoing account, you may have to create one within OpenKeychain. So, just the initial things. That's it.
    Somebody asked by email how messages are being fetched and why the app doesn't always download raw messages files, but I think the answer is generally interesting, which is why I am answering this question here.

A message is basically composed of body parts (text, images, attachments, etc). There is an IMAP command to fetch the structure of the message (which body parts there are) and there is an IMAP command to fetch (a piece) of any body part.

So, what the app does, is fetching the message structure, decoding it and fetching only the relevant parts. The plain text part will never be fetched when there is a HTML part (saving considerably on data and therefore on battery usage as well). The text/HTML part and the attachment parts will be fetched conditionally. You can limit the size to fetch when using a metered connection in the connection settings (on WiFi everything will be fetched unconditionally) or you can disable fetching texts and attachments in the folder properties. For example, I have disable this for the spam folder.

Small message texts will be fetched after fetching the structure of a message, but larger message texts and also attachments will be fetched after synchronizing all messages. This is to populate the list of messages as fast as possible. When needed, there will be a high priority operation queued to fetch the message text on opening/expanded the message or to fetch an attachment on tapping on it.

A raw message file is composed of all body parts preceded by the message flags (read, starred, etc) and the message headers (from, to, subject, etc) and can be downloaded as a whole only. This is fine on a personal computer with lots of storage space, connected with a cord to electric power, and an unlimited data connection, but not on battery power mobile devices with limited storage space and often limited mobile data bundles.

In the connection settings you can enable to always fetch headers and to always fetch raw messages files since a few versions. This can be useful if you often check headers and often forward raw messages and not always are connected to the internet.

There is a lot more to say about this. Feel free to ask questions.
    Version 1.1564 1.1565 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:

@no.one.writeme You can set one of the templates to be used as read receipt now.
    Version 1.1570 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:

This version was released to fix the message list scrolling back to the top on closing a conversation, which was the result of fixing scroll issues of conversations.
    Version 1.1551 is available on GitHub now.

Changelog/download:

There is one new feature which is hidden for now because it is still experimental: using HighestModSeq for a quick check if a sync is necessary on reconnecting. This will probably reduce battery and data usage, especially when there are many reconnects due to an unstable / often changing internet connection. The email server needs to support the CONDSTORE IMAP extension for this. For example Gmail and Dovecot based email servers, like of Disroot.org, do.

You can enable this option by temporary enabling debug mode in the miscellaneous settings and enabling the MODSEQ option. You can disable debug mode again after this.
    Version 1.1568 is available on GitHub now.

Changelog/download:

There was a bug in the modified text normalizer which caused words not in sentences to be removed.
    ic_launcher.png

FairEmail
    Open source, privacy friendly email app for Android

banner7_long.png

See here for a description:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/

Downloads:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email#user-content-downloads

See this XDA article for some screenshots:
    https://www.xda-developers.com/fairemail-open-source-privacy-friendly-email/

See here for more screenshots:
    https://email.faircode.eu/#screenshots

Frequently asked questions:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/blob/master/FAQ.md

This XDA thread is about using the latest version of FairEmail.

For support on authorizing an account you should consult the documentation of your provider, see also here.

Off topic comments are allowed as long they are related to FairEmail and are in the general interest of the followers of this thread.

Discussion of purchases is not allowed here, please contact me via here instead.

XDA:DevDB Information
    FairEmail, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    M66B
    Source Code: https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/

Version Information
    Stable

Created 2018-08-02
    Last Updated 2020-11-18
    It is time for a new, modern, open source, privacy friendly email client for Android.

I have just released a first alpha version for feedback on the design and features.

Not for production use yet!

Most of the stuff basically works, but be prepared for crashes and error notifications.

Safe email is a working name, but it is for several reasons not a convenient name, so suggestions for a name are welcome.
    I have just released alpha version 0.15

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/releases

With a bit of luck the next version can be a beta version.

I am putting a lot of effort into this project, so thanks are appreciated.
    I have just released alpha version 0.10

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/releases

I have put many hours into developing and debugging this release, so thanks are appreciated.

This version is still not suitable for production, but all basic functions are present now. The goal is now to stabilize this version into a first beta release, so please let me hear what problems you have.

Edit: due to database changes you'll need to setup your accounts/identities again.
    I have just released beta version 1.745

Changelog/download:

The changelog might seem uninteresting, but in fact displaying messages has been rewritten to introduce inline displaying of original messages. I spent about two days developing and testing this, so at least a "thanks" will be appreciated.

Some background: normally the web view cannot be used in a scrolling list (of messages in a conversation) and although there exist several workarounds for this, none were satisfactory. However, I had a completely novel idea (as far as I know) about how to approach this without the usual edge cases (hopefully) !

To do: investigate if using a dark background is feasible (setting the background dark is simple, but the challenge is to modify the message so that everything is still readable). I will consider to add an option to always display original messages.

Please report any problem you discover, so it can be fixed.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone