[APP][5.0+] FairEmail - Fully featured, open source, privacy oriented email app

Search This thread

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
That's a good news if it wouldn't be to hard to add these features! Yes I know it may sound strange, but it's required for my work. QuickText is great for that on a computer email client, but I know no Android app able to do that.
I am not blindly adding everything which is being asked for and I am still missing a justification for this ...

Reactions: fraschi51

mkasimd

Apr 7, 2021
How about changing the Wizard button into a drop down spinner with "Select provider ..." and a button "Start" or "Configure" ?
Just a got an idea on how to improve the account setup options in general.

How about removing the "OAuth" parts in "Gmail (Oauth)", etc.. Just "Gmail","Outlook/Office265",.. Thenafter you may show the same options as in "other provider" (Name, E-Mail Adress, Password) but with a checkable option (checkmark) "This account uses OAuth to authenticate", which if selected will disable the latter two options (turning them grey or invisible) and the next step would be the same as currently with OAuth accounts.

I had read a few times that configuring the Google account without the account being installed on nthe device would be hard. I believe that is because people go for the GMail (OAuth) selection instead of using the "Other Provider" option and entering the email address and password or token.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Just a got an idea on how to improve the account setup options in general.

How about removing the "OAuth" parts in "Gmail (Oauth)", etc.. Just "Gmail","Outlook/Office265",.. Thenafter you may show the same options as in "other provider" (Name, E-Mail Adress, Password) but with a checkable option (checkmark) "This account uses OAuth to authenticate", which if selected will disable the latter two options (turning them grey or invisible) and the next step would be the same as currently with OAuth accounts.

I had read a few times that configuring the Google account without the account being installed on nthe device would be hard. I believe that is because people go for the GMail (OAuth) selection instead of using the "Other Provider" option and entering the email address and password or token.

I understand the suggestion, but some people specifically look for OAuth. In general, I think is only good to be as clear as possible about what is what.

I don't see many people having trouble with setting up a Gmail account, on the contrary.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
After some experimentation: I don't think a spinner and a "go" button will make things any easier, on the contrary. People have to interact with two controls instead of one, also involving more clicks.

maybeme2

Aug 28, 2015
This is already there. You'll find it in the horizontal three dots menu just above the message text. If you use this frequently, you can configure a button for it.
I never knew of this. This is excellent, especially with color to make it stand out in the header.
Excellent!

Reactions: M66B

deechte

Feb 1, 2007
Soest
There is now "1. Add or change account" with a blue colored button "Wizard" below it. How do you suggest to improve this?
Well, in this part of the menu there's a blue button, a grey button, a drop down arrow which acts like a folding-open thingy. Which is messy if I may say so, without wanting to insult. And this part is centered, while the rest of the screen below is alligned to the left. I would keep the alignment consequent and wouldn't mix buttons, drop-down and links.

I have a mail account where servers and ports aren't usually automatically detected correctly. Therefore at first glance I was looking for a manual setup option, hence I chose the drop down arrow, where I found that, instead of the wizard button.

Lastly, I would suggest using menu buttons and structure like Google's material design. People are used to that.

Reactions: ouzowtf and M66B

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Well, in this part of the menu there's a blue button, a grey button, a drop down arrow which acts like a folding-open thingy. Which is messy if I may say so, without wanting to insult. And this part is centered, while the rest of the screen below is alligned to the left. I would keep the alignment consequent and wouldn't mix buttons, drop-down and links.

I have a mail account where servers and ports aren't usually automatically detected correctly. Therefore at first glance I was looking for a manual setup option, hence I chose the drop down arrow, where I found that, instead of the wizard button.

Lastly, I would suggest using menu buttons and structure like Google's material design. People are used to that.
Your feedback is appreciated.

The links are pretty essential to prevent questions and are centered to put some more emphasis on it. So, the "ugliness" is intended.

The manual setup has gotten some more emphasis in recent version. Putting it somewhere else hasn't been a success. It is just hard to make it work for everybody.

Reactions: deechte

mkasimd

Apr 7, 2021
If it is an own domain or a corporate one where you can contact some admins, it might be useful to note that the auto detection in FairEmail uses open standards like RFC 6186 and Thunderbird:Autoconfiguration. And it's not even hard to implement them for a domain, with RFC 6186 being the easiest one.

That would result in any clients supporting RFC 6186 (like FairEmail) finding which server and port to contact to for whoch protocol. Meaning you'd have to enter name, email address and password only. Much easier than manually entering everything IMO.

deechte

Feb 1, 2007
Soest
If it is an own domain or a corporate one where you can contact some admins, it might be useful to note that the auto detection in FairEmail uses open standards like RFC 6186 and Thunderbird:Autoconfiguration. And it's not even hard to implement them for a domain, with RFC 6186 being the easiest one.

That would result in any clients supporting RFC 6186 (like FairEmail) finding which server and port to contact to for whoch protocol. Meaning you'd have to enter name, email address and password only. Much easier than manually entering everything IMO.
Thanks. It's my own domain and server.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Thanks. It's my own domain and server.
In that case you can make it yourself easier by setting two DNS records like this:

Code:
_imap._tcp SRV 0 1 143 imap.example.com.
_submission._tcp SRV 0 1 587 mail.example.com.

Please see here for more information:

Reactions: deechte

Dark_Eyes_

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Sep 19, 2013
@M66B I noticed a small annoyance when creating/editing signatures. Clicking the back button finishes the activity without saving nor a prompt to save. I've been fooled a few times and I think a dialog implemented in onBackPressed to ask for saving would be a nice addition. What do you think?

Reactions: heinhuiz

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
@M66B I noticed a small annoyance when creating/editing signatures. Clicking the back button finishes the activity without saving nor a prompt to save. I've been fooled a few times and I think a dialog implemented in onBackPressed to ask for saving would be a nice addition. What do you think?
I will see what I can do.

Reactions: Dark_Eyes_

Dark_Eyes_

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Sep 19, 2013
Reactions: M66B and fraschi51

zzz2002

Dec 5, 2012
Toronto
Not urgent but I believe port 465 has been deprecated as a SMTP port, and that IANA has assigned TCP port 465 to a new service.
Could you change the default SMTP(S) port from 465 to 587 in line with current IANA standards.
TIA

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Not urgent but I believe port 465 has been deprecated as a SMTP port, and that IANA has assigned TCP port 465 to a new service.
Could you change the default SMTP(S) port from 465 to 587 in line with current IANA standards.
TIA
Port 465 is used by many providers as SSL/TLS port instead of the unsafer port 587 with STARTTLS.

Please see this article about why STARTTLS is potentially unsafe:

VirtualWaver

Jun 14, 2011
London
I am not blindly adding everything which is being asked for and I am still missing a justification for this ...
Honestly, your app is just perfect and light years ahead of any other email app I used. You can't make everyone happy and you shouldn't - people should spent some time reading the manual and configuring things. For me, FairMail is straightforward enough, with tons of great settings to play with.

A bit offtop but I wish you could develop a Windows version of FairMail! )))

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Then they've reached their goal ...
    They didn't.

Version 1.1606 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/releases
    Version 1.1590 1.1591 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:

This is a release candidate for the next public Play store version. Please report any issue you discover.
    Version 1.1587 1.1588 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:

Text styles (size, color, font, etc) will be extended now if a new selection (partly) overlaps an existing style. Please let me know if you find any edge case. Examples with bold (red = selection):

Test test test test test - extend start
    Test test test test test - extend end
    Test test test test test - extend all
    Test test test test test - remove inner

Permanent deletion is unlimited now, but needs to be double confirmed now. Please see here about why:

https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/FAQ.md#user-content-faq160
    Version 1.1600 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:

DeepL integration is an experimental feature now, so experiments need to be enabled in the miscellaneous settings. This feature is not available in the Play store version.

Edit: the power menu tile (Android 11+) needs to be enabled in the miscellaneous settings.
    Version 1.1604 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:
    ic_launcher.png

FairEmail
    Open source, privacy friendly email app for Android

banner7_long.png

See here for a description:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/

Downloads:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email#user-content-downloads

See this XDA article for some screenshots:
    https://www.xda-developers.com/fairemail-open-source-privacy-friendly-email/

See here for more screenshots:
    https://email.faircode.eu/#screenshots

Frequently asked questions:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/blob/master/FAQ.md

This XDA thread is about using the latest version of FairEmail.

For support on authorizing an account you should consult the documentation of your provider, see also here.

Off topic comments are allowed as long they are related to FairEmail and are in the general interest of the followers of this thread.

Discussion of purchases is not allowed here, please contact me via here instead.

XDA:DevDB Information
    FairEmail, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    M66B
    Source Code: https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/

Version Information
    Stable

Created 2018-08-02
    Last Updated 2020-11-18
    It is time for a new, modern, open source, privacy friendly email client for Android.

I have just released a first alpha version for feedback on the design and features.

Not for production use yet!

Most of the stuff basically works, but be prepared for crashes and error notifications.

Safe email is a working name, but it is for several reasons not a convenient name, so suggestions for a name are welcome.
    I have just released alpha version 0.15

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/releases

With a bit of luck the next version can be a beta version.

I am putting a lot of effort into this project, so thanks are appreciated.
    I have just released alpha version 0.10

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/releases

I have put many hours into developing and debugging this release, so thanks are appreciated.

This version is still not suitable for production, but all basic functions are present now. The goal is now to stabilize this version into a first beta release, so please let me hear what problems you have.

Edit: due to database changes you'll need to setup your accounts/identities again.
    I have just released beta version 1.745

Changelog/download:

The changelog might seem uninteresting, but in fact displaying messages has been rewritten to introduce inline displaying of original messages. I spent about two days developing and testing this, so at least a "thanks" will be appreciated.

Some background: normally the web view cannot be used in a scrolling list (of messages in a conversation) and although there exist several workarounds for this, none were satisfactory. However, I had a completely novel idea (as far as I know) about how to approach this without the usual edge cases (hopefully) !

To do: investigate if using a dark background is feasible (setting the background dark is simple, but the challenge is to modify the message so that everything is still readable). I will consider to add an option to always display original messages.

Please report any problem you discover, so it can be fixed.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone