[APP][5.0+] FairEmail - Fully featured, open source, privacy oriented email app

Search This thread

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Hi @M66B
I set the Promotions category of Gmail to manually synchronize in Fair Email. When I swipe down to sync the folder, after the sync is complete I have to swipe up to read the received messages ( it does not auto scroll up ).
Is this the default behavior? Is it something that I overlooked in setup?
Best regards,
Luis
You can enable scroll to top on new messages in the behavior settings.

Reactions: no.one.writeme

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I have integrated DeepL into FairEmail for myself. I am rather hesitant to release this because it would require people to create a DeepL account and subscribe to the API plan and enter the authorization key into the app. I am afraid that this is a too big obstacle. There are 1 star ratings for much less.

Would anybody be interested in this?

topcaser

Dec 17, 2005
At the top of the snooze dialog there is "1 hour", "1 day" and "1 week" already.
Didn't realize this, sorry. But it again shows that this dialogue isn't user friendly. Sorry to say, but the date picker is old fashioned and confusing although you probably will write that the dialogue is a standard Android dialogue. Look at the Gmail app how user friendly it could be.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Didn't realize this, sorry. But it again shows that this dialogue isn't user friendly. Sorry to say, but the date picker is old fashioned and confusing although you probably will write that the dialogue is a standard Android dialogue. Look at the Gmail app how user friendly it could be.
It is indeed the standard date/time dialog. User friendly is relative and FairEmail is a lot more flexible with snooze times than Gmail.

fraschi51

Mar 17, 2016
I have integrated DeepL into FairEmail for myself. I am rather hesitant to release this because it would require people to create a DeepL account and subscribe to the API plan and enter the authorization key into the app. I am afraid that this is a too big obstacle. There are 1 star ratings for much less.

Would anybody be interested in this?
I wouldn't do it under these conditions, especially since you can always copy texts of interest and paste them into deepl for translation.
But I'm afraid it can't really be prevented after you've already entered the strings into the translation file .... ;-)

topcaser

Dec 17, 2005
It is indeed the standard date/time dialog. User friendly is relative and FairEmail is a lot more flexible with snooze times than Gmail.
I am wondering where the flexibility is and again it's not user friendly, especially setting a certain date. E. G. I want to snooze a message until Saturday. I have to carefully increase the date and observing the written text to stop increasing when the text says Saturday. Furthermore the snooze defaults are not useful to me. Indeed they can be overlooked as you can see from our discussion. Attached a screenshot how Google does it. Here you can see the difference regarding UX (user experience) between fairmail and Google. Google present the user just one dialogue (in this attached screenshot: using some defaults) to focus the user on the 70 percent task (I assume Google did a study on that). Next the date can be selected by a month calendar date picker. Again it is focused exactly on this task (UX). The user can quit the wizard now and Google addressed 90 percent of use cases. The rest of the 10 percent can schedule a certain time if necessary. Again 100 percent focus on setting the time.

This is user friendly and probably engineered by a lot UX engineers,since it is Google and not fairmail. I don't understand why you don't want to accept and transfer those solutions in the one or other idea to fairmail. You are wondering why you get some reviews where users complain about complexity of fairmail and you are asking here for what can be improved. I told you to have a look to other clients with more man power to analyze user behaviour resulting in certain workflows like snoozing messages. But the only answer is "user friendly is relative". OK than leave it as it is if you are the opinion that this is the best way to present the dialogue to the user.

Attachments

• IMG_20210518_043814.jpg
    IMG_20210518_043814.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20210518_043854.jpg
    IMG_20210518_043854.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20210518_050414.jpg
    IMG_20210518_050414.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20210518_050216.jpg
    IMG_20210518_050216.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20210518_050246.jpg
    IMG_20210518_050246.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 21

fraschi51

Mar 17, 2016
I am wondering where the flexibility is and again it's not user friendly, especially setting a certain date. E. G. I want to snooze a message until Saturday. I have to carefully increase the date and observing the written text to stop increasing when the text says Saturday. Furthermore the snooze defaults are not useful to me. Indeed they can be overlooked as you can see from our discussion. Attached a screenshot how Google does it. Here you can see the difference regarding UX (user experience) between fairmail and Google. Google present the user just one dialogue (in this attached screenshot: using some defaults) to focus the user on the 70 percent task (I assume Google did a study on that). Next the date can be selected by a month calendar date picker. Again it is focused exactly on this task (UX). The user can quit the wizard now and Google addressed 90 percent of use cases. The rest of the 10 percent can schedule a certain time if necessary. Again 100 percent focus on setting the time.

This is user friendly and probably engineered by a lot UX engineers,since it is Google and not fairmail. I don't understand why you don't want to accept and transfer those solutions in the one or other idea to fairmail. You are wondering why you get some reviews where users complain about complexity of fairmail and you are asking here for what can be improved. I told you to have a look to other clients with more man power to analyze user behaviour resulting in certain workflows like snoozing messages. But the only answer is "user friendly is relative". OK than leave it as it is if you are the opinion that this is the best way to present the dialogue to the user.
I find the current FE snooze dialogue better and I have no problem looking at the day of the week shown above when setting the date.
Incidentally, a programmer's quantity says nothing about quality.

nadir husain

Aug 31, 2019
I find the current FE snooze dialogue better and I have no problem looking at the day of the week shown above when setting the date.
Agree absolutely! Marcel is a one man army and he has accomplished more in a couple of years than Google engineers in more than a decade. Gmail cant even get their push mail on Android working correctly. No comparison! FairEmail does more than Gmail and in easier , better ways.

Reactions: O_DoC and fraschi51

topcaser

Dec 17, 2005
Hi, I don't talking about the quality. This is outstanding from Marcel. I talked about the number of engineers supporting the development. I am working for a software company and I know how much effort we put in analyzing user behaviour resulting in UX concepts. This is something, a private project can't deliver. Therefore would be my suggestion to transfer concepts from big providers (I mean not to copy them, to transfer).

How often do you use snoozing messages? For me, this dialogue is one of the bad things in fairmail.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010

I almost always set specific snooze times and this can be done with the least number of taps with the current solution.

Basically, every solution has advantages and disadvantages and will therefore make somebody happy and somebody else unhappy.

I understand that there might be room for improvement from your point of view and we can talk about this within the current solution. Like for example changing the quick snooze buttons.

Reactions: O_DoC and fraschi51

fraschi51

Mar 17, 2016
Hi, I don't talking about the quality. This is outstanding from Marcel. I talked about the number of engineers supporting the development. I am working for a software company and I know how much effort we put in analyzing user behaviour resulting in UX concepts. This is something, a private project can't deliver. Therefore would be my suggestion to transfer concepts from big providers (I mean not to copy them, to transfer).

How often do you use snoozing messages? For me, this dialogue is one of the bad things in fairmail.
If you frequently put mails on hold until the next Saturday or similar, a calendar selection may actually make more sense for you. In fact, I rarely use the Mails snooze dialogue because I prefer to use my Calendar or ToDo app for reminders. However, I often have to deal with the same dialogue when I prepare something today that is to be sent later. And I have never had any problems with this dialogue.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I wouldn't do it under these conditions, especially since you can always copy texts of interest and paste them into deepl for translation.
But I'm afraid it can't really be prevented after you've already entered the strings into the translation file .... ;-)
Indeed, but this will be available in the GitHub version only.

Version 1.1596 1.1597 is available on GitHub now.

Changelog/download:
https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/releases

This FAQ explains how DeepL integration can be configured and used:

https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/FAQ.md#user-content-faq167

Last edited:

fraschi51

Mar 17, 2016
In the meantime, I have discovered that you don't even need to copy text to translate, because the 'translate' command is already included in the copy dialogue after the selected text and you can do this with one click. Possibly this command comes from one of the translator apps, either from DeepL or from the MS translator .... I don't know exactly.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
In the meantime, I have discovered that you don't even need to copy text to translate, because the 'translate' command is already included in the copy dialogue after the selected text and you can do this with one click. Possibly this command comes from one of the translator apps, either from DeepL or from the MS translator .... I don't know exactly.
That's what I have been using so far too, but you need to copy and paste. The integrated solution will automatically extend the selection to a paragraph and insert the translation after the paragraph with a new line in between. This is much easier, especially if you use this a lot.

fraschi51

Mar 17, 2016
That's what I have been using so far too, but you need to copy and paste. The integrated solution will automatically extend the selection to a paragraph and insert the translation after the paragraph with a new line in between. This is much easier, especially if you use this a lot.
But if I see it correctly, your FE translator can ONLY be used in the composer and not when reading, right?

Top Liked Posts

Version 1.1622 1.1623 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:
    I make some requests on some features that I would like to be present in FairEmail: maybe they already are there and I don't know how to set them!

1) To select one or more messages, I must use long pressure for the first message and then a single tap for other messages. Would it be possible to introduce a sort of quick selection by tapping on the icon to the left of the message?
    View attachment 5345837

2) When one or more messages are selected, this button / menu is activated:
    View attachment 5345841
    From this I can access the possible actions that can be applied to the selected messages. Would it be possible to introduce a bar with 2 or 3 actions similar to this one?
    View attachment 5345843
    A sort of "quick action bar"...
    It would be nice if the actions in the bar were user configurable.
    This would allow you to apply actions quickly "saving" a tap ...
    Thanks for your attention.
    Tapping the contact icon already navigates to the contact info (if available). Also, multiple selection works generally this way, which is what people are used to.

A navigation bar would take space from the messages list, which I think is not nice of you are selecting multiple messages. Moreover, the possible actions depend on the selected messages (folder, accounts, etc) and this can't be evaluated in real-time because this would could cause stuttering, which is why this is done on tapping the action button only.
    The "quick action bar" should only appear after selecting one or more messages (just like with the current button).
    Also, if the bar were to hide an element, the list would still remain scrollable, as it currently is.
    Finally the bar that I showed in my previous post (which is the one that FairEmail displays in a message) in my mobile is very thin and does not take up much space.

My request was for the messages list in one folder, not all other lists.
    The actions I have in mind (move to trash, mark as read, ...) should be applicable to all selected messages...
    Move to trash is available only when there is a trash folder. The POP3 protocol can access the inbox only for example. The folder you are in determines the actions too. Generally, this is not as simple as you might think.

tl;d;r there are good reasons why it is like it is. In fact, changing this would mean removing features.

Besides that, the the navigation bar would take vertical space as already explained.
    Version 1.1622 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:
    Love the screen lighting up feature
    Then they've reached their goal ...
    They didn't.

Version 1.1606 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:
    Version 1.1618 is available on GitHub now.

Changelog/download:

There is a new receive option (default disabled) to check if the domain name of the from / reply-to addresses is on a spam block list (for now Spamhaus/zen only). If this is the case, there will be a little warning flag in the message header (the same as for message authentication problems, etc).
    Version 1.1610 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:
    Version 1.1615 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:

The raw message viewer uses cards now and will show the message structure at the end.

In the search dialog you can disable searching in the trash and spam folders when searching on the device.
    Version 1.1612 1.1613 1.1614 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:
    ic_launcher.png

FairEmail
    Open source, privacy friendly email app for Android

banner7_long.png

See here for a description:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/

Downloads:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email#user-content-downloads

See this XDA article for some screenshots:
    https://www.xda-developers.com/fairemail-open-source-privacy-friendly-email/

See here for more screenshots:
    https://email.faircode.eu/#screenshots

Frequently asked questions:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/blob/master/FAQ.md

This XDA thread is about using the latest version of FairEmail.

For support on authorizing an account you should consult the documentation of your provider, see also here.

Off topic comments are allowed as long they are related to FairEmail and are in the general interest of the followers of this thread.

Discussion of purchases is not allowed here, please contact me via here instead.

XDA:DevDB Information
    FairEmail, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    M66B
    Source Code: https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/

Version Information
    Stable

Created 2018-08-02
    Last Updated 2020-11-18
    It is time for a new, modern, open source, privacy friendly email client for Android.

I have just released a first alpha version for feedback on the design and features.

Not for production use yet!

Most of the stuff basically works, but be prepared for crashes and error notifications.

Safe email is a working name, but it is for several reasons not a convenient name, so suggestions for a name are welcome.
    I have just released alpha version 0.15

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/releases

With a bit of luck the next version can be a beta version.

I am putting a lot of effort into this project, so thanks are appreciated.
    I have just released alpha version 0.10

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/releases

I have put many hours into developing and debugging this release, so thanks are appreciated.

This version is still not suitable for production, but all basic functions are present now. The goal is now to stabilize this version into a first beta release, so please let me hear what problems you have.

Edit: due to database changes you'll need to setup your accounts/identities again.
    I have just released beta version 1.745

Changelog/download:

The changelog might seem uninteresting, but in fact displaying messages has been rewritten to introduce inline displaying of original messages. I spent about two days developing and testing this, so at least a "thanks" will be appreciated.

Some background: normally the web view cannot be used in a scrolling list (of messages in a conversation) and although there exist several workarounds for this, none were satisfactory. However, I had a completely novel idea (as far as I know) about how to approach this without the usual edge cases (hopefully) !

To do: investigate if using a dark background is feasible (setting the background dark is simple, but the challenge is to modify the message so that everything is still readable). I will consider to add an option to always display original messages.

Please report any problem you discover, so it can be fixed.