• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[APP][5.0+] FairEmail - Fully featured, open source, privacy oriented email app

Search This thread

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Version 1.1618 is available on GitHub now.

Changelog/download:
https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/releases

There is a new receive option (default disabled) to check if the domain name of the from / reply-to addresses is on a spam block list (for now Spamhaus/zen only). If this is the case, there will be a little warning flag in the message header (the same as for message authentication problems, etc).

Last edited:

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
The next version will check the block list of spamcop too (if checking block lists is enabled of course).

carpler

Jan 26, 2011
Thanks for your answer!

Try to set the start screen to accounts or folders in the display settings.

Tried, but is not what I'm looking for....

Showing the folder list in the navigation menu isn't an option. Some apps try this, but fail hopelessly when there are thousands of folders with dozens of levels, which is not an unusual situation in a business environment. Mostly, only a few folders are interesting. You can add a quick link to any folder to the navigation menu by long pressing it in the folder list. You can simply collapse the unified system folders section.

Is it not possible to limit the list of folders only to the main ones (exactly those listed for the "unified" account)?

A conversation is bound to an account only, not a specific folder. New message notifications aren't limited to the inbox only either. The only option would be to put the folder list between the start screen and the conversation, but I am pretty sure most people would hate this.

If I open an email from a notification and press back, I would like to open the inbox folder of the account associated with the email just read and not the list of folders, this regardless of whether the email just opened is actually contained in the Inbox folder .
The quick link in the navigation menu is not the solution for me.

In other words, I would like the app to be "Inbox-driven": the mail clients I've used so far (on PC and smartphone) all work in this way ...

However I understand that there are choices in every app that favor certain aspects over others and I do not expect FairEmail to adapt to my needs, especially if no other user has the same point of view.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Thanks for your answer!

Tried, but is not what I'm looking for....

Is it not possible to limit the list of folders only to the main ones (exactly those listed for the "unified" account)?

If I open an email from a notification and press back, I would like to open the inbox folder of the account associated with the email just read and not the list of folders, this regardless of whether the email just opened is actually contained in the Inbox folder .
The quick link in the navigation menu is not the solution for me.

In other words, I would like the app to be "Inbox-driven": the mail clients I've used so far (on PC and smartphone) all work in this way ...

However I understand that there are choices in every app that favor certain aspects over others and I do not expect FairEmail to adapt to my needs, especially if no other user has the same point of view.
FairEmail is "Inbox-driven" too. When you open a message from a notification and tap back, you'll land in the unified inbox (unless you changed the start screen).

I think that it is logical to go from an out of band opened message (not from navigating within the app) to the start screen on back.

Putting the inbox in between the unified inbox and the message opened from a notification would be possible, but I am pretty sure most other people will not like this extra navigation step.

Moreover, a conversation is being opened, not a message. The notified message might not be the last message of the conversation and the last message might not be in the inbox (for example in the sent message folder). Also, more messages might arrive in the conversation while it is being viewed.

Reactions: nadir husain

carpler

Jan 26, 2011
FairEmail is "Inbox-driven" too. When you open a message from a notification and tap back, you'll land in the unified inbox (unless you changed the start screen).

I think that it is logical to go from an out of band opened message (not from navigating within the app) to the start screen on back.

Putting the inbox in between the unified inbox and the message opened from a notification would be possible, but I am pretty sure most other people will not like this extra navigation step.

Moreover, a conversation is being opened, not a message. The notified message might not be the last message of the conversation and the last message might not be in the inbox (for example in the sent message folder). Also, more messages might arrive in the conversation while it is being viewed.

FairEmail is "unified-inbox-driven", but I'm not used to this way of things...
I have 6 email accounts and all together in the same inbox is a little bit confusing...

However I understand your point of view. I'll test FairEmail a little more to see if I can get used to this new mode, otherwise I'll stick with my current client on Android.
Thanks so much for the replies!

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
FairEmail is "unified-inbox-driven", but I'm not used to this way of things...
I have 6 email accounts and all together in the same inbox is a little bit confusing...

However I understand your point of view. I'll test FairEmail a little more to see if I can get used to this new mode, otherwise I'll stick with my current client on Android.
Thanks so much for the replies!
Maybe it is an option to remove some of the inboxes from the unified inbox. You can do this by long pressing an inbox in the folder list of an account.

Did you try unified folders as start screen?

mkasimd

Apr 7, 2021
Not, if you use the color-stripe for differencing them.
The color-stripes are indeed very useful. But it's a little hidden feature IMO as one has to go through each account (and possibly identity too) and set up a specific color for each of them manually. It's also a hassle as in not as user-friendly as it could be.

So I'd like to put a suggestion in the room and see the resonance whether it's desired or not.

There are multiple pre-configured providers already. So how about adding one new parameter to each pre-configured provider: a color matching the provider's brand or logo. For instance, red (#ea4335) for GMail, blue (#1c449b) for GMX, blue (#0067b8) for Outlook/Hotmail, purple (#720e9e) for Yahoo, magenta (#e20074) for T-Online, blue (#003d8f) for 1&1/IONOS, blue (#0060a3) for AOL, bordeaux (#50162d) for Disroot, etc. to name examples for some common providers.

This would provide a great default color for each newly created account and identity.

Last edited:

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
The color-stripes are indeed very useful. But it's a little hidden feature IMO as one has to go through each account (and possibly identity too) and set up a specific color for each of them manually. It's also a hassle as in not as user-friendly as it could be.

So I'd like to put a suggestion in the room and see the resonance whether it's desired or not.

There are multiple pre-configured providers already. So how about adding one new parameter to each pre-configured provider: a color matching the provider's brand or logo. For instance, red (#ea4335) for GMail, blue (#1c449b) for GMX, blue (#0067b8) for Outlook/Hotmail, purple (#720e9e) for Yahoo, magenta (#e20074) for T-Online, blue (#003d8f) for 1&1/IONOS, blue (#0060a3) for AOL, etc. to name examples for some common providers.

This would provide a great default color for each newly created account and identity.
What about the thousands of other providers and private email servers?

mkasimd

Apr 7, 2021
What about the thousands of other providers and private email servers?
The last part of the question is very simple to answer: private email servers and custom domains are not added into the pre-configured providers list and won't receive any pre-set color as such. Nobody can expect you to guess what color the domain owner or app-user had in his or her mind, except maybe for professional services that already have a logo, color scheme and brand color available.

As for the multiple other providers: if they are already included in your list of providers, they should receive a color over time, but starting with the most common ones to satisfy most consumers in one go

Of course, you won't have to enter all colors in one go, but can start with the most common 10 - 20 providers at first and slowly work towards giving all pre-configured providers a color. It is not uncommon to scale things in a way to satisfy as many consumers as possible if one cannot satisfy everyone (yet). And obviously, you cannot add each and every provider there is in one go; some of which you don't even know yet.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
The last part of the question is very simple to answer: private email servers and custom domains are not added into the pre-configured providers list and won't receive any pre-set color as such. Nobody can expect you to guess what color the domain owner or app-user had in his or her mind, except maybe for professional services that already have a logo, color scheme and brand color available.

As for the multiple other providers: if they are already included in your list of providers, they should receive a color over time, but starting with the most common ones to satisfy most consumers in one go

Of course, you won't have to enter all colors in one go, but can start with the most common 10 - 20 providers at first and slowly work towards giving all pre-configured providers a color. It is not uncommon to scale things in a way to satisfy as many consumers as possible if one cannot satisfy everyone (yet). And obviously, you cannot add each and every provider there is in one go; some of which you don't even know yet.
The other problem is that there will always be somebody unhappy with the default colors.

How about making setting account colors easier by adding a menu item to the long press menu of the account list?

Reactions: O_DoC

fraschi51

Mar 17, 2016
You only need this feature once in your life with FairEmail - if you set all the other properties per account anyway.
Personally, I wouldn't like the predefined colours you suggested anyway, so I would have to enter this dialogue anyway.

Reactions: maybeme2

mkasimd

Apr 7, 2021
Well, you both have a point, @fraschi51 & @M66B. The main issue probably is the amount of steps it takes to set a color preference. Here some screenshots to show how hidden the feature looks out of user-perspective.

step1.png
step2.png
step3.png

Wizard -> select provider (e.g. other provider) -> enter credentials -> edit account -> select color.

Instead, the color could be asked right below the credentials, saving several steps as well as increasing the visibility of the feature. Then providing default colors are not necessary as well. Also, that same color should be set for both the account and identity then.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Well, you both have a point, @fraschi51 & @M66B. The main issue probably is the amount of steps it takes to set a color preference. Here some screenshots to show how hidden the feature looks out of user-perspective.

View attachment 5343037View attachment 5343039View attachment 5343041

Wizard -> select provider (e.g. other provider) -> enter credentials -> edit account -> select color.

Instead, the color could be asked right below the credentials, saving several steps as well as increasing the visibility of the feature. Then providing default colors are not necessary as well. Also, that same color should be set for both the account and identity then.

That won't be nice for people who need a few tries to setup an account.
Generally, the setup account procedure should be as simple as possible.

It isn't every day you'll be setting up an account!

Reactions: fraschi51

Top Liked Posts

Version 1.1669 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:
    I think most of us lovers of FairEmail are worried about the same thing.
    Unlike AquaMail, FairEmail is open source.

Besides that I am a fan of my own app ;-)
    Version 1.1662 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:

There is a new behavior option to change the swipe left/right sensitivity. There are 10 'stops' and the default sensitivity is 7, which is a bit less than it used to be. I like to know if this is a good default setting. There should be a balance between sensitivity and accidentally swiping a message to the trash or archive folder (or whatever the swipe action is configured to do).

The sensitivity is represented by the velocity (speed) of swiping (slow/fast) and the stops represent in fact a multiplication factor for the velocity threshold.
    Version 1.1646 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:

A notable addition is support for Brand Indicators for Message Identification (BIMI), which you can enable in the display settings. When there is a BIMI DNS record and SPF, DKIM and DMARC are passing, a check mark will be shown before the sender's name. This will work for for example Booking.com.

Some background information:

Version 1.1659 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:

All reported problems, most minor problems, have been fixed.
    Version 1.1645 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:

All reported bugs have been fixed.
    ic_launcher.png

FairEmail
    Open source, privacy friendly email app for Android

banner7_long.png

See here for a description:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/

Downloads:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email#user-content-downloads

See this XDA article for some screenshots:
    https://www.xda-developers.com/fairemail-open-source-privacy-friendly-email/

See here for more screenshots:
    https://email.faircode.eu/#screenshots

Frequently asked questions:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/blob/master/FAQ.md

This XDA thread is about using the latest version of FairEmail.

For support on authorizing an account you should consult the documentation of your provider, see also here.

Off topic comments are allowed as long they are related to FairEmail and are in the general interest of the followers of this thread.

Discussion of purchases is not allowed here, please contact me via here instead.

XDA:DevDB Information
    FairEmail, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    M66B
    Source Code: https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/

Version Information
    Stable

Created 2018-08-02
    Last Updated 2020-11-18
    It is time for a new, modern, open source, privacy friendly email client for Android.

I have just released a first alpha version for feedback on the design and features.

Not for production use yet!

Most of the stuff basically works, but be prepared for crashes and error notifications.

Safe email is a working name, but it is for several reasons not a convenient name, so suggestions for a name are welcome.
    I have just released alpha version 0.15

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/releases

With a bit of luck the next version can be a beta version.

I am putting a lot of effort into this project, so thanks are appreciated.
    I have just released alpha version 0.10

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/releases

I have put many hours into developing and debugging this release, so thanks are appreciated.

This version is still not suitable for production, but all basic functions are present now. The goal is now to stabilize this version into a first beta release, so please let me hear what problems you have.

Edit: due to database changes you'll need to setup your accounts/identities again.
    I have just released beta version 1.745

Changelog/download:

The changelog might seem uninteresting, but in fact displaying messages has been rewritten to introduce inline displaying of original messages. I spent about two days developing and testing this, so at least a "thanks" will be appreciated.

Some background: normally the web view cannot be used in a scrolling list (of messages in a conversation) and although there exist several workarounds for this, none were satisfactory. However, I had a completely novel idea (as far as I know) about how to approach this without the usual edge cases (hopefully) !

To do: investigate if using a dark background is feasible (setting the background dark is simple, but the challenge is to modify the message so that everything is still readable). I will consider to add an option to always display original messages.

Please report any problem you discover, so it can be fixed.