• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[APP][5.0+] FairEmail - Fully featured, open source, privacy oriented email app

Search This thread

mkasimd

Apr 7, 2021
That won't be nice for people who need a few tries to setup an account.
Generally, the setup account procedure should be as simple as possible.

It isn't every day you'll be setting up an account!
I think you misunderstood what I meant with my latest suggestion, so let me rephrase.

I don't mean the color selection should be moved away from the account settings, but that it should be additionally within the account creation (adding new account through the wizard) screen. As both colors and account creation are one-time operations for each account added, it is pretty okay to show it within the account creation screen as well.

But that would not change anything within the "edit account" or "edit identity" settings. Those parts would remain as is. The colors can still be changed or modified there. Only the wizard screen would change with one addition. Here an example what it could look like

wizard_suggestion.png

This way, the feature is highly visible and also takes alot less steps to configure.

Edit: As for trying several times to set up an account.. The most common reason would be if the username or password were incorrect. For as long as the set color does not change each time one presses on "prüfen" but remains so even if one changes the username/password entries above, it should be fine.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I think you misunderstood what I meant with my latest suggestion, so let me rephrase.

I don't mean the color selection should be moved away from the account settings, but that it should be additionally within the account creation (adding new account through the wizard) screen. As both colors and account creation are one-time operations for each account added, it is pretty okay to show it within the account creation screen as well.

But that would not change anything within the "edit account" or "edit identity" settings. Those parts would remain as is. The colors can still be changed or modified there. Only the wizard screen would change with one addition. Here an example what it could look like

View attachment 5343175
I don't think this is a good idea. IMHO the quick setup wizard should be as simple as possible.

The color and other account properties can optionally be configured after successfully configuring the account.

Reactions: 30jp and fraschi51

Nepo_CZ

Jun 27, 2020
Hi, firstly thanks for the great app, using it for a few days, but really like it so far.
I have one small issue with it though, regarding email folders. I have 3 different email accounts (same provider, but should not matter really) and the "aggregated" inbox/drafts/sent/bin/spam/archive folders (in area (1) in screenshot) work great, exactly as expected. But I would like to have an additional folder (e.g. newsletters) there. As you can see, I was only able to map those folders for each account separately into area (2), but I cant aggregate them into one folder for all accounts. Is this somehow possible? Or would it be hard to implement? Anyone with the same use-case?
A possible workaround for this would be to "map" these to one of the preset folders I dont use (in my case "archive") and then it would behave the same. Only issue is, I believe you cant change the name of the preset folder and you have a fixed/limited amount of such folders.

Any help is appreciated and big thanks for the effort spent making the app

Attachments

• Screenshot_FairEmail_036162.png
    Screenshot_FairEmail_036162.png
    378.6 KB · Views: 21

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Hi, firstly thanks for the great app, using it for a few days, but really like it so far.
I have one small issue with it though, regarding email folders. I have 3 different email accounts (same provider, but should not matter really) and the "aggregated" inbox/drafts/sent/bin/spam/archive folders (in area (1) in screenshot) work great, exactly as expected. But I would like to have an additional folder (e.g. newsletters) there. As you can see, I was only able to map those folders for each account separately into area (2), but I cant aggregate them into one folder for all accounts. Is this somehow possible? Or would it be hard to implement? Anyone with the same use-case?
A possible workaround for this would be to "map" these to one of the preset folders I dont use (in my case "archive") and then it would behave the same. Only issue is, I believe you cant change the name of the preset folder and you have a fixed/limited amount of such folders.

Any help is appreciated and big thanks for the effort spent making the app
There are unified system folders only. Your use case is rather unusual.

You can change the display name in the folder properties to distinguish the folders (long press the folder in the folder list, edit properties).

You could use a filter rule to move the message into a single folder. Please see this FAQ about filter rules:

https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/FAQ.md#user-content-faq71

Nepo_CZ

Jun 27, 2020
You could use a filter rule to move the message into a single folder.
Ok, I think the filters are the way to go here, thanks for the suggestion. Just a small question though - (how) would this work for emails from different accounts? Is the "move" done only localy, or does it do any changes in the server as well? Sorry, but I was unable to find any info on this in the docs.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Ok, I think the filters are the way to go here, thanks for the suggestion. Just a small question though - (how) would this work for emails from different accounts? Is the "move" done only localy, or does it do any changes in the server as well? Sorry, but I was unable to find any info on this in the docs.
The messages will be moved from account to account, even if the accounts are on different servers.

carpler

Jan 26, 2011
Just tap on the third button in the notification settings of the app and disable the Android notification channel.

Thank you!
I apologize, I only read after writing FAQ 2 and I understand why there is that permanent notification.
I also saw how to disable it (in the Notifications Settings disable the Receive Channel), but I did not understand if in this way there's a risk that Android closes FariEmail and you lose notifications in real time of incoming messages.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Thank you!
I apologize, I only read after writing FAQ 2 and I understand why there is that permanent notification.
I also saw how to disable it (in the Notifications Settings disable the Receive Channel), but I did not understand if in this way there's a risk that Android closes FariEmail and you lose notifications in real time of incoming messages.
You can disable the channel safely. This will disable the notification only.

topcaser

Dec 17, 2005
The report spam dialog will be opened if you tap on the little warning triangle just above the message text.
Then I haven't understand the feature. I thought it's a list and incoming mails are checker against that list whether they are spam or not.

You wrote:

It is possible now to enable using spam block lists in the report spam dialog (tap on the little warning triangle just above the message text).

Why should I enable a block list in a dialog of a spam mail?

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Then I haven't understand the feature. I thought it's a list and incoming mails are checker against that list whether they are spam or not.

You wrote:

It is possible now to enable using spam block lists in the report spam dialog (tap on the little warning triangle just above the message text).

Why should I enable a block list in a dialog of a spam mail?
Please see this FAQ about how block lists work:

The report spam dialog is IMHO the logical place to say "I don't want more spam".

topcaser

Dec 17, 2005
Please see this FAQ about how block lists work:

The report spam dialog is IMHO the logical place to say "I don't want more spam".
Exactly, it's a list to block something. I would assume that I can enable such a list BEFORE I get spam. But your implementation let it look like that I have to receive one spam mail first. This means I can enable it AFTER I receive spam. This concept is weird in my opinion.

Top Liked Posts