• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[APP][5.0+] FairEmail - Fully featured, open source, privacy oriented email app

Search This thread

fraschi51

Mar 17, 2016
Exactly, it's a list to block something. I would assume that I can enable such a list BEFORE I get spam. But your implementation let it look like that I have to receive one spam mail first. This means I can enable it AFTER I receive spam. This concept is weird in my opinion.
You can activate the feature in the settings beforehand. The switch has ALSO been added to the spam dialogue as an additional comfort option.

Hitti2

Hey guys, how do i make crossed out icon be just cloud icon? Screenshot_20210621-204647_FairEmail.png

Dark_Eyes_

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Sep 19, 2013
@M66B, just an improvement idea. If I understand correctly, the blocklist option will leave the message in the inbox but add a flag to it, right? How about auto-moving it to spam with the classified icon, showing it was moved by FairEmail?

Reactions: heinhuiz

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Gravatar support wil be removed from the Play store version of the app in the next release. According to Google there is no privacy policy for the Play store listing and in the app, which is non sense, but I am not going to argue with Google about this because none of my earlier arguments with Google were taken seriously.

Moreover, Gravatar support is disabled by default and includes a clear privacy warning.

carpler

Jan 26, 2011
I make some requests on some features that I would like to be present in FairEmail: maybe they already are there and I don't know how to set them!

1) To select one or more messages, I must use long pressure for the first message and then a single tap for other messages. Would it be possible to introduce a sort of quick selection by tapping on the icon to the left of the message?
1624459532770.png

2) When one or more messages are selected, this button / menu is activated:
1624459644323.png

From this I can access the possible actions that can be applied to the selected messages. Would it be possible to introduce a bar with 2 or 3 actions similar to this one?
1624459753105.png

A sort of "quick action bar"...
It would be nice if the actions in the bar were user configurable.
This would allow you to apply actions quickly "saving" a tap ...
Thanks for your attention.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I make some requests on some features that I would like to be present in FairEmail: maybe they already are there and I don't know how to set them!

1) To select one or more messages, I must use long pressure for the first message and then a single tap for other messages. Would it be possible to introduce a sort of quick selection by tapping on the icon to the left of the message?
View attachment 5345837

2) When one or more messages are selected, this button / menu is activated:
View attachment 5345841
From this I can access the possible actions that can be applied to the selected messages. Would it be possible to introduce a bar with 2 or 3 actions similar to this one?
View attachment 5345843
A sort of "quick action bar"...
It would be nice if the actions in the bar were user configurable.
This would allow you to apply actions quickly "saving" a tap ...
Thanks for your attention.
Tapping the contact icon already navigates to the contact info (if available). Also, multiple selection works generally this way, which is what people are used to.

A navigation bar would take space from the messages list, which I think is not nice of you are selecting multiple messages. Moreover, the possible actions depend on the selected messages (folder, accounts, etc) and this can't be evaluated in real-time because this would could cause stuttering, which is why this is done on tapping the action button only.

carpler

Jan 26, 2011
A navigation bar would take space from the messages list, which I think is not nice of you are selecting multiple messages.

The "quick action bar" should only appear after selecting one or more messages (just like with the current button).
Also, if the bar were to hide an element, the list would still remain scrollable, as it currently is.
Finally the bar that I showed in my previous post (which is the one that FairEmail displays in a message) in my mobile is very thin and does not take up much space.

Moreover, the possible actions depend on the selected messages (folder, accounts, etc) and this can't be evaluated in real-time because this would could cause stuttering, which is why this is done on tapping the action button only.

My request was for the messages list in one folder, not all other lists.
The actions I have in mind (move to trash, mark as read, ...) should be applicable to all selected messages...

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
The "quick action bar" should only appear after selecting one or more messages (just like with the current button).
Also, if the bar were to hide an element, the list would still remain scrollable, as it currently is.
Finally the bar that I showed in my previous post (which is the one that FairEmail displays in a message) in my mobile is very thin and does not take up much space.

My request was for the messages list in one folder, not all other lists.
The actions I have in mind (move to trash, mark as read, ...) should be applicable to all selected messages...
Move to trash is available only when there is a trash folder. The POP3 protocol can access the inbox only for example. The folder you are in determines the actions too. Generally, this is not as simple as you might think.

tl;d;r there are good reasons why it is like it is. In fact, changing this would mean removing features.

Besides that, the the navigation bar would take vertical space as already explained.

Ghy61

Jun 24, 2021
Hello,

I am a new and unterested user of fairemail - thanks for this great open source app.

I use posteo.net as an email provider. I met an issue with from the app sent emails. They do not appear in the sent folder, nor elsewhere. Actually I have no sent message stored.

There is no issue with from the website or from Thunderbird sent email : they do appear in sent folder.

I did not find any setting to choose the folder for sent email, or any clue to a solution.

Could you please give a hand ?

Top Liked Posts

Marcel you really need to try and focus on the positive instead of the negative.

You won't be able to please everyone and there will always be some haters for no good reason too.

Despite some negative reviews by far the overwhelming amount of reviews are positive, with 4 and 5 star ratings.

I think you will be more fulfilled if you can try to accept that most people are unbelievably happy with FairEmail, with your work and attention, and with your support :)

Thank you for all that you do for us and the android community (y) :love: (y)
    I only have a problem with unreasonable reviews.
    You said it: they are 'unreasonable'! That is they don't make sense.

But you are a caring human so I understand your pain. Yet as others have said, and the ratings prove it, Fairemail is by far the best email app for android. That too is a fact.
    Imagine that you are working on a hard to implement feature and that you in the meantime receive a series of unfair complaints. How would you feel? It is easy to say to just ignore, but I am not a robot.
    So sorry about all that... It's hard to see people complaining when you've put so much work into something. And no, it's not easy to ignore.

I just wanted to chime in and say that I absolutely love FairEmail. Been using it for a long time now and was so happy when I found it after trying and ditching so many others...

*chef's kiss*
    Hi Marcel,

I've said it a few times in the past: You cannot please everybody. It looks like you cannot accept this. I'll try another way with a different example.

According to your expectation, everyone should be able to see that FairEmail is the best email program and everyone should love it.

If you extrapolate that to other areas ... if the world would work like this, then there would only be a need for exactly one car. Because that's the perfect car, everyone would love it without any complaints, there would be no need for another car.

There would only be a need for the one single perfect computer hardware, because everyone would love it, nobody would ask for another brand.

Only one single operating system would be required, because it is just perfect. No need for choice.

And so on...

I hope you can see that this is not how the world works - and to be honest - this is good.

And as well as there is choice and different opinions about cars, computer hardware, operating systems, etc. there is also different opinions about email applications. And that's valid and a fair.

The only thing that remains - and where I agree with your disappointment - is the tone in which some of the reviews are made. But then, again, look at the daily news ... there are "weird" people everywhere, you cannot avoid them. The world is just like this.

Please, if you want to see the appreciation for your work, take a look at the ratings of your applications in COMPARISON with other applications. Then you'll see, how good your work is and also how appreciated it is, regardless of a finite number of stupid negative reviews - which will unavoidably always be there.
    The app is worthless.
    Of course, for someone who doesn't want to learn about the background and benefits, it's all worthless. We can be glad that he/she no longer uses FE. And it's a pity that we, as a knowledgeable user community, can't respond to such stupid remarks ....
    Version 1.1719 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/releases

Like most previous recent releases this is a maintenance release. There is one new feature: tapping on the folder name in the message header when viewing a conversation/message will navigate to the folder. This feature is not available in the Play store version yet.
    Version 1.1720 is available on GitHub now.

Changelog/download:

Tapping on the folder name in conversation threads has been changed into long pressing the folder name to prevent interference with expanding/collapsing messages.
    Version 1.1725 1.1726 is available on GitHub now.

The changelog is part of the app now.
    Version 1.1702 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:
    Version 1.1722 is available on GitHub now.

Changelog/download:

@jmh2002 sorting folders containing unread messages on top is possible via the three-dots overflow menu now.

As requested, there is also a 'Translate' menu item when viewing a message.
    ic_launcher.png

FairEmail
    Open source, privacy friendly email app for Android

banner7_long.png

See here for a description:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/

Downloads:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email#user-content-downloads

See this XDA article for some screenshots:
    https://www.xda-developers.com/fairemail-open-source-privacy-friendly-email/

See here for more screenshots:
    https://email.faircode.eu/#screenshots

Frequently asked questions:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/blob/master/FAQ.md

This XDA thread is about using the latest version of FairEmail.

For support on authorizing an account you should consult the documentation of your provider, see also here.

Off topic comments are allowed as long they are related to FairEmail and are in the general interest of the followers of this thread.

Discussion of purchases is not allowed here, please contact me via here instead.

XDA:DevDB Information
    FairEmail, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    M66B
    Source Code: https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/

Version Information
    Stable

Created 2018-08-02
    Last Updated 2020-11-18
    It is time for a new, modern, open source, privacy friendly email client for Android.

I have just released a first alpha version for feedback on the design and features.

Not for production use yet!

Most of the stuff basically works, but be prepared for crashes and error notifications.

Safe email is a working name, but it is for several reasons not a convenient name, so suggestions for a name are welcome.
    I have just released alpha version 0.15

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/releases

With a bit of luck the next version can be a beta version.

I am putting a lot of effort into this project, so thanks are appreciated.
    I have just released alpha version 0.10

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/releases

I have put many hours into developing and debugging this release, so thanks are appreciated.

This version is still not suitable for production, but all basic functions are present now. The goal is now to stabilize this version into a first beta release, so please let me hear what problems you have.

Edit: due to database changes you'll need to setup your accounts/identities again.
    I have just released beta version 1.745

Changelog/download:

The changelog might seem uninteresting, but in fact displaying messages has been rewritten to introduce inline displaying of original messages. I spent about two days developing and testing this, so at least a "thanks" will be appreciated.

Some background: normally the web view cannot be used in a scrolling list (of messages in a conversation) and although there exist several workarounds for this, none were satisfactory. However, I had a completely novel idea (as far as I know) about how to approach this without the usual edge cases (hopefully) !

To do: investigate if using a dark background is feasible (setting the background dark is simple, but the challenge is to modify the message so that everything is still readable). I will consider to add an option to always display original messages.

Please report any problem you discover, so it can be fixed.