• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[APP][5.0+] FairEmail - Fully featured, open source, privacy oriented email app

Search This thread

topcaser

Dec 17, 2005
Hi, I read every single post here, but sometimes I can't follow the pace of new features. You stated in the change log:

* Added SVG support for images in messages
* Added option to show number of messages in the navigation menu (display settings)

What is SVG support? I can't find the option to show number of messages..

Furthermore I have played around with the authentication warnings and status. For neither message in the inbox I get a green shield although I have an email from my working account (a very big german tech company). If I click on the shield most of the time the DMARC authentication is missing. I then have deactivated this check but the shield stays the same. Could you please explain how this works in detail?

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Hi, I read every single post here, but sometimes I can't follow the pace of new features. You stated in the change log:

* Added SVG support for images in messages
* Added option to show number of messages in the navigation menu (display settings)

What is SVG support? I can't find the option to show number of messages..

Furthermore I have played around with the authentication warnings and status. For neither message in the inbox I get a green shield although I have an email from my working account (a very big german tech company). If I click on the shield most of the time the DMARC authentication is missing. I then have deactivated this check but the shield stays the same. Could you please explain how this works in detail?
Please see here about SVG:

The options to show the number of messages stored on your device in the navigation menu can be found in the display settings, section General, last option.

There will be a green shield only if DKIM, SPF and DMARC are okay (pass).

Reactions: topcaser

jmh2002

Jun 1, 2016
NZL, POL, UKR
Hi Marcel,

After returning to FairEmail recently I have been using it daily since then and have developed a list of possible bugs, some questions, and some requests too :oops: I've tried to read all of this thread, and the FAQ, and thoroughly familarise myself with all of the app settings but I apologise if I have still missed something somewhere.

For information, I use FairEmail more for it's customisability than for it's privacy features so I normally have both 'Confirm Showing Images' and 'Show Reformatted Messages By Default' set to Disabled. Also I'm using v1.1662 from GitHub.

Bugs(?):

- I receive many emails that are forum notifications. A couple of those don't hyperlink the URL when 'Show Reformatted Messages By Default' is set to Disabled. Clicking 'View Reformatted Message in the email body fixes this, but it is possible to fix it permantly? The affected domains are cruisersforum.com and kodi.tv (let me know if you need screenshots). Also, messages from these domains are not grouped by conversation. I guess it's a related problem.

- I've tried various combinations of Behaviour settings but when there is only 1 message in a conversation, and after reading it I then Mark Unread from the email body, FairEmail returns to the Conversation (where there is only 1 email), instead of returning directly back to the the Conversations List like I thought should happen. Is this my error in settings, or is it by design, or is it a bug?

- I have one email that is badly formatted and I thought I should bring it to your attention. I can forward by email if required (see screenshot attached).

Questions:

- Why do deleted messages show in a Conversation? Can I change that in the settings somewhere? (see screenshots attached)

Requests:

- I have 'Attempt To Recognise And Disable Tracking Images' set to Enabled. My family (and others) request read receipts from me via a desktop gmail extension that inserts a small tracking image. Would it be possible to manually allow Tracking to be Enabled / the sending of a read receipt, from within the email message body? I've attached 2 screenshots of how this works elegantly in a desktop gmail tracking blocker extension that I use (hovering over the blocked notifcation allows clicking to Unblock). Maybe it could also be possible to create a whitelist of email addresses too, for which this type of tracking is always enabled?

- I use Gmail Labels/Folders and automatic Gmail Filters to send received emails to those folders A LOT. So I also therefore use 'Show In Navigation Menu' in FairEmail for a lot of folders too. Desktop Gmail offers this feature as well (Show In Label List, at the left side of Gmail) but with the added choice of 'Show If Unread' (see screenshot attached). This keeps the visible Label List much much shorter, only showing Labels/Folders that have Unread Emails. Would it be possible to add something similar to FairEmail too, as an additional choice? ie: 'Show in Navigation Menu, if UnRead'

Attachments

• Badly Formatted.png
    Badly Formatted.png
    402 KB · Views: 28
  • Deleted Messages In Conversation.jpg
    Deleted Messages In Conversation.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 28
  • Unblock Let Sender Know You Have Read It.jpg
    Unblock Let Sender Know You Have Read It.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 24
  • Tracking Is Blocked.jpg
    Tracking Is Blocked.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Desktop Gmail - Show Label If Unread.jpg
    Desktop Gmail - Show Label If Unread.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Hi Marcel,

After returning to FairEmail recently I have been using it daily since then and have developed a list of possible bugs, some questions, and some requests too :oops: I've tried to read all of this thread, and the FAQ, and thoroughly familarise myself with all of the app settings but I apologise if I have still missed something somewhere.

For information, I use FairEmail more for it's customisability than for it's privacy features so I normally have both 'Confirm Showing Images' and 'Show Reformatted Messages By Default' set to Disabled. Also I'm using v1.1662 from GitHub.

Bugs(?):

- I receive many emails that are forum notifications. A couple of those don't hyperlink the URL when 'Show Reformatted Messages By Default' is set to Disabled. Clicking 'View Reformatted Message in the email body fixes this, but it is possible to fix it permantly? The affected domains are cruisersforum.com and kodi.tv (let me know if you need screenshots). Also, messages from these domains are not grouped by conversation. I guess it's a related problem.

- I've tried various combinations of Behaviour settings but when there is only 1 message in a conversation, and after reading it I then Mark Unread from the email body, FairEmail returns to the Conversation (where there is only 1 email), instead of returning directly back to the the Conversations List like I thought should happen. Is this my error in settings, or is it by design, or is it a bug?

- I have one email that is badly formatted and I thought I should bring it to your attention. I can forward by email if required (see screenshot attached).

Questions:

- Why do deleted messages show in a Conversation? Can I change that in the settings somewhere? (see screenshots attached)

Requests:

- I have 'Attempt To Recognise And Disable Tracking Images' set to Enabled. My family (and others) request read receipts from me via a desktop gmail extension that inserts a small tracking image. Would it be possible to manually allow Tracking to be Enabled / the sending of a read receipt, from within the email message body? I've attached 2 screenshots of how this works elegantly in a desktop gmail tracking blocker extension that I use (hovering over the blocked notifcation allows clicking to Unblock). Maybe it could also be possible to create a whitelist of email addresses too, for which this type of tracking is always enabled?

- I use Gmail Labels/Folders and automatic Gmail Filters to send received emails to those folders A LOT. So I also therefore use 'Show In Navigation Menu' in FairEmail for a lot of folders too. Desktop Gmail offers this feature as well (Show In Label List, at the left side of Gmail) but with the added choice of 'Show If Unread' (see screenshot attached). This keeps the visible Label List much much shorter, only showing labels that have Unread Emails. Would it be possible to add something similar to FairEmail too, as an additional choice? ie: 'Show in Navigation Menu, if UnRead'
If you use the original message view, a message will be shown as-is with an embedded browser tab page. Most browsers won't auto link plain text, like FairEmail does in the reformatted message view.

Marking a message unread will collapse it, but the conversation won't be closed. If you did this accidentally, it would be inconvenient. Moreover, this function is generally not used much.

Regarding the badly formatted message: please save the raw message via the horizontal three dots menu just above the message text and use 'Report issue' in the navigation menu to send it to me for inspection.

Sometimes messages are being deleted accidentally and showing them in conversations is a simple way to find them back, also considering that individual messages are rarely deleted from conversations.

You can tap on the link of a tracking image to open the link (via the open link dialog) to perform the tracking, but why not use read receipts instead?

Folders can't be shown conditionally in the navigation menu. I think this won't be genrally useful and I am afraid that it will lead to additional support questions like "where is my folder?", so I don't think it is good idea to add this.

topcaser

Dec 17, 2005
A further observation to the authentication shield: the okay shield has a green check mark to visualize that the email is okay. The shield with the cross has no color diff between the partial shield making it hard to detect if an email has neither authentication protection. Could you make the cross in red?

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
A further observation to the authentication shield: the okay shield has a green check mark to visualize that the email is okay. The shield with the cross has no color diff between the partial shield making it hard to detect if an email has neither authentication protection. Could you make the cross in red?
I could, but I don't think this is a good idea because there will be a lot of partially authenticated messages.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Alls; hope not to ask a question already answered (briefly have been browsing the FAQs before): Is there a way to display attached images inside the app rather than having to open an external gallery? Not really a big issue, just a convenience thing... :)
At the end of the message there is a mini gallery. It is enabled by default, but maybe you disabled it in the display settings?

Reactions: fraschi51 and kr428

topcaser

Dec 17, 2005
I could, but I don't think this is a good idea because there will be a lot of partially authenticated messages.
The partially authenticated messages will get a shield with an explanation mark. Leave this color as it is. Emails with no authentication at all have a cross in the shield. I would make this cross red. I double checked my inbox and I have only a few of them in the inbox but I can hardly distinguish the shield from others (due to the color)

Friedel25

Mar 17, 2016
Hannover
Hello Marcel!

I just noticed that the option "DeepL integration" is no longer visible under "Miscellaneous". However, the option is still displayed in the search: "Miscellaneous: Deepl integration". When testing on my old phone, the option disappeared after installing 1.1658. Is it perhaps related to the commit "Really enable DeepL for Play store"?? Btw: I had switched off the Deepl integration.
(My version is 1.1664.)

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Hello Marcel!

I just noticed that the option "DeepL integration" is no longer visible under "Miscellaneous". However, the option is still displayed in the search: "Miscellaneous: Deepl integration". When testing on my old phone, the option disappeared after installing 1.1658. Is it perhaps related to the commit "Really enable DeepL for Play store"?? Btw: I had switched off the Deepl integration.
(My version is 1.1664.)
Thanks. This will be fixed in the next release.

Reactions: Friedel25

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
The partially authenticated messages will get a shield with an explanation mark. Leave this color as it is. Emails with no authentication at all have a cross in the shield. I would make this cross red. I double checked my inbox and I have only a few of them in the inbox but I can hardly distinguish the shield from others (due to the color)
The next version will not show indicators for not authenticated messages anymore.

topcaser

Dec 17, 2005
Another thing what I have noticed. I played around with themes and switched forth and back. Once I had the yellow purple night theme which showed me the main bar (with the search icon) in yellow. Now, after trying some others, the same theme shows me an orange bar. Did I miss something?

deechte

Feb 1, 2007
Soest
I agree with you that this is indeed not what one would expect. I dislike it too.

Reactions: jmh2002

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Version 1.1667 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:
https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/releases

@jmh2002 @deechte there is a new behavior option to auto close conversations on marking a message in a conversation unread. Please let me know if this was what you were looking for.

Last edited:

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I was forced to remove FairEmail from the Amazon store because the APK file as repackaged and resigned (!) by Amazon is incomplete and therefore doesn't work.

• Angry
Reactions: wimstefan

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Version 1.1775 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:

There is another solution for showing the text / padding size in the overflow menu. Please let me know what you think about it.
    Downloading the internet still isn't finished and will take a little longer because I just uploaded version 1.1779 to GitHub and the Play store (test program).

Changelog/download:
    Version 1.1773 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:

This version was released to fix the message composer not opening because the OpenKeychain app isn't responding.
    Version 1.1777 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:

12 more infrastructures will be recognized:

https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/app/src/main/res/values/strings.xml#L1809

If no blocking errors will be reported, this version will be released publicly in the Play store today.
    Version 1.1783 is available on GitHub now.

Changelog/download:

Besides a series of small improvements and minor bug fixes two new display options were added:
    • An option for a double width color stripe
    • An option to change the unread shadow color from the accent color to the selected highlight color
    ic_launcher.png

FairEmail
    Open source, privacy friendly email app for Android

banner7_long.png

See here for a description:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/

Downloads:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email#user-content-downloads

See this XDA article for some screenshots:
    https://www.xda-developers.com/fairemail-open-source-privacy-friendly-email/

See here for more screenshots:
    https://email.faircode.eu/#screenshots

Frequently asked questions:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/blob/master/FAQ.md

This XDA thread is about using the latest version of FairEmail.

For support on authorizing an account you should consult the documentation of your provider, see also here.

Off topic comments are allowed as long they are related to FairEmail and are in the general interest of the followers of this thread.

Discussion of purchases is not allowed here, please contact me via here instead.

XDA:DevDB Information
    FairEmail, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    M66B
    Source Code: https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/

Version Information
    Stable

Created 2018-08-02
    Last Updated 2020-11-18
    It is time for a new, modern, open source, privacy friendly email client for Android.

I have just released a first alpha version for feedback on the design and features.

Not for production use yet!

Most of the stuff basically works, but be prepared for crashes and error notifications.

Safe email is a working name, but it is for several reasons not a convenient name, so suggestions for a name are welcome.
    I have just released alpha version 0.15

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/releases

With a bit of luck the next version can be a beta version.

I am putting a lot of effort into this project, so thanks are appreciated.
    I have just released alpha version 0.10

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/releases

I have put many hours into developing and debugging this release, so thanks are appreciated.

This version is still not suitable for production, but all basic functions are present now. The goal is now to stabilize this version into a first beta release, so please let me hear what problems you have.

Edit: due to database changes you'll need to setup your accounts/identities again.
    I have just released beta version 1.745

Changelog/download:

The changelog might seem uninteresting, but in fact displaying messages has been rewritten to introduce inline displaying of original messages. I spent about two days developing and testing this, so at least a "thanks" will be appreciated.

Some background: normally the web view cannot be used in a scrolling list (of messages in a conversation) and although there exist several workarounds for this, none were satisfactory. However, I had a completely novel idea (as far as I know) about how to approach this without the usual edge cases (hopefully) !

To do: investigate if using a dark background is feasible (setting the background dark is simple, but the challenge is to modify the message so that everything is still readable). I will consider to add an option to always display original messages.

Please report any problem you discover, so it can be fixed.