• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[APP][5.0+] FairEmail - Fully featured, open source, privacy oriented email app

Search This thread

deechte

Feb 1, 2007
Soest
I haven't been using FairEmail for a very long time. So I consider myself one of the junior members in this thread. In the short period I'm in here I've seen this happening multiple times now, to my surprise I'd say.

Im really surprised at how much you let negative reviews hurt you Marcel. I get the impression that it takes very little to blow you away. The internet unfortunately is a place of trolls and fast opinions, whether you like it or not. Don't let that get you down so easily! You really need to grow a thicker skin. Not for me, but please do yourself that favor. Your mental health would be grateful. There are courses for that, for instance NLP.

Well, enough for my "ongevraagde maar goedbedoelde advies".

jmh2002

Jun 1, 2016
NZL, POL, UKR
Let's also not forget that there is by far an overwhelming number of reviews that are positive.

Even users who initially found the app to be 'daunting' were still pleased overall.

Take heart from all these positive reviews Marcel and forget about the others :)

Reactions: M66B

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I haven't been using FairEmail for a very long time. So I consider myself one of the junior members in this thread. In the short period I'm in here I've seen this happening multiple times now, to my surprise I'd say.

Im really surprised at how much you let negative reviews hurt you Marcel. I get the impression that it takes very little to blow you away. The internet unfortunately is a place of trolls and fast opinions, whether you like it or not. Don't let that get you down so easily! You really need to grow a thicker skin. Not for me, but please do yourself that favor. Your mental health would be grateful. There are courses for that, for instance NLP.

Well, enough for my "ongevraagde maar goedbedoelde advies".
It you read what I receive daily, you would see that my skin is pretty thick. Sometimes it is just too much.

Magister81

Jul 5, 2018
Vakantie? Oh. Ik wens een wondermooie vakantie. Met de Camper in Duitsland? We zijn ook vaak (elke 2-3 jaar) gaan op vaarvakantie in de mooie Nederland. Zuidholland, Noordholland. B.v. Rotterdam, Amsterdam, Grou, de groene hart, Loosdrechtse Plassen - dus van Antwerpen tot Zwolle.
We houden veel van Holland.
En nu vergeet de een sterren en geniet van je vakantie.

Last edited:

heinhuiz

Nov 26, 2011
It you read what I receive daily, you would see that my skin is pretty thick. Sometimes it is just too much.
It has been said many times before, Marcel - and I'm sure you realize it too - but by giving away a close to perfect email app plus providing top of the notch support for free, you are literally taking away the bread and butter of the competition. You hurt them , so they hurt you back. You cannot stop that without giving in.

mkasimd

Apr 7, 2021
Since you receive alot of stupid comments daily, here a few comments from me.

"You expect people to pay" (supposedly)
Well, if even BIMI, checking authentication status and checking against known spam lists as well as Disconnect's tracker list (and many more) are features available in the FREE version, completely free of ads and trackers and fully functioning in the free version, then you have even included comfort features that are not even necessary for the proper functioning of the app as free features. So, screw anyone claiming you'd be "unreasonably" asking for a few Euros one-time for life-time pro-features which aren't even necessary for the app to work properly. Anyone who knows to reasure the amazing work you have achieved would gladly pay that, or even more.

"The app is pathetic" (supposedly)
Well, as Fairemail is the most feature-complete email app I've ever seen, I wonder what Aquamail, Gmail, Outlook, etc. are then. Probably not just pathetic, but a crap dirtier than Trump's ****hole? Trolls gonna be trolls..

"The support is unhelpful" (supposedly)
I remember enough times you implemented a bugfix or workaround within an hour or less once you were notified. Even professional companies with multiple dedicated support staff can rarely respond that quickly. You on the other hand are just a one man army dealing with all pretty much just yourself.

All in all...
As you can see, there's no based negative thing about you or your app out there. So give yourself some slack, Marcel. It's hard with bullies talking **** about you or the work of your life, I get it. But remember: the ****-talkers are just a bunch of assholes talking crap and nothing else. To be honest, even crap has a use as fertilizer, so their ****-talk is more like a fart; just some disgusting smelly hot air and nothing else.

Also, you don't have to work on FairEmail every single day. I love the way you always keep improving the app, but you also need some time for your own health. So yeah, take a small time off, you earned at least as much.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Version 1.1676 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:
https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/releases

All reported bugs have been fixed and quick sync for IMAP (receive settings) have been added, which will probably reduce data and battery usage, but is a bit experimental feature for now.

Last edited:

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Hi Marcel, could you please quickly explain what quick sync for IMAP is and why it should save Battery?
Quick sync uses MODSEQ, but without any checks. Without quick sync there is a quick check if the messages within the sync window exist and have the same status (read, starred, etc).

Quick sync is really very quick and uses minimal data to check if there were changes in a folder.

MODSEQ requires the server capability CONDSTORE. So, this won't work for all email servers.

MODSEQ was already implemented before, so quick sync is an addition to this.

MODSEQ is a sequence number which is increased by the email server if something in a folder changes (message added, changed or deleted). FairEmail persists this number, so it can compare the remote and local number to see if there were changes.

Last edited:

Android.Addiction

Oct 4, 2012
Just bought the pro version today. I really like it. Some questions on customization:
  1. Is there a way to customize the visible FAB actions that appear in the overflow menu during multi-select? For example I'd like to see a button for delete instead of clicking the "..." then delete.
  2. Can I have a persistent side bar with just icons in tablet view? This would allow quickly swapping between folders without expanding the hamburger menu.
I suspect the answer to both is "no" since I searched settings and the FAQ.md. But I thought I'd ask anyway. Great app and thank you!

jmh2002

Jun 1, 2016
NZL, POL, UKR
Can I have a persistent side bar with just icons in tablet view? This would allow quickly swapping between folders without expanding the hamburger menu.

There is the option in Settings > Display > General > Show Navigation Menu In Landscape Mode By Default

This can probably help, but maybe you want this option to be available in Portrait Mode too? I guess that makes sense and Marcel could probably add that for tablet users.

Additionally you may also want to check these Settings too: Display > General >
- Use Two Rows In Portrait Mode
- Use Two Columns In Landscape Mode

They display a list of emails and a preview at the same time, which may help with the workflow on a larger screen device as well.

Hope that helps :)

Last edited:

Android.Addiction

Oct 4, 2012
There is the option in Settings > Display > General > Show Navigation Menu In Landscape Mode By Default

This can probably help, but maybe you want this option to be available in Portrait Mode too? I guess Marcel could add that for tablet users.

Additionally you may also want to check these Settings too: Display > General >
- Use Two Rows In Portrait Mode
- Use Two Columns In Landscape Mode

They may help with the workflow on a larger screen device as well.

Hope that helps :)
Thank you! Yes I did see those options but they aren't quite what I had in mind. For landscape, the reason why I want this is so that the left column isn't so wide. Right now it's too wide, which takes away horizontal space for the list of emails and the preview pane.

I'd like it for portrait mode (on my tablet) for a persistent way to switch between everything without sacrificing too much horizontal space. If I could just show the vertical column of icons, that really takes up very little horizonal screen real estate.

I'm sure the developer gets little asks like this all the time, hence the need to make it clear when installing the app that he can't make everyone happy :) Well, I'm still happy without it, but if others find this popular enough and it does get implemented that would be great!

As I use the app I continue to find more things that would be nice. For example my latest one is trying to figure out if message classification is practical across multiple devices (tablet and phone). I don't see a way to synchronize the learning data between multiple devices. It might be better (in the case of Gmail) to rely on its own categorization of emails and hope that those folders are present and viewable in FairEmail. I'll have to experiment.

Thanks again.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Just bought the pro version today. I really like it. Some questions on customization:
  1. Is there a way to customize the visible FAB actions that appear in the overflow menu during multi-select? For example I'd like to see a button for delete instead of clicking the "..." then delete.
  2. Can I have a persistent side bar with just icons in tablet view? This would allow quickly swapping between folders without expanding the hamburger menu.
I suspect the answer to both is "no" since I searched settings and the FAQ.md. But I thought I'd ask anyway. Great app and thank you!
The possible multiple selection actions are determined dynamically when you tap on the action button. Doing this while selecting messages results in performance issues, so this can't be done. You are selecting multiple messages, so IMHO one tap more shouldn't be a problem. Also, additional buttons would cover more of the messages.

Note that deleting messages is not always possible, for example when the messages are not synchronized with the email server yet.

A navigation menu with only icons isn't a bad idea, but the practical problem is to make all icons different. Note that you can add any folder to the navigation menu (long press it in the list). I will give this some more thought, but in any case it won't be done tomorrow.

Reactions: Android.Addiction

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010

As I use the app I continue to find more things that would be nice. For example my latest one is trying to figure out if message classification is practical across multiple devices (tablet and phone). I don't see a way to synchronize the learning data between multiple devices. It might be better (in the case of Gmail) to rely on its own categorization of emails and hope that those folders are present and viewable in FairEmail. I'll have to experiment.

Thanks again.
There is no cloud storage for privacy reasons, so this isn't possible and given the goal of the project also not desirable.

Also, the app is for 98% free to use, so paying servers for cloud storage wouldn't be feasible. The usual way is to show ads, track you and analyze your behavior and sell the acquired data to earn money. Fairmail will never do this.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Stopping with improvements wouldn't be fair to the people appreciating my effort, so I will keep improving the GitHub version and reduce the Play store updates to once a month.
    Since it happened too many times to me that I answered a message while a new message arrived making the answer less useful, the next version will show a bottom notification when a new message arrives in the same thread as you are composing a message for. Tapping on 'Show' will open the conversation, so you can quickly check the new message.
    Version 1.1761 fixes all reported problems, including my failures as reported by @Dark_Eyes_

Version 1.1764 1.1765 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:
    A documented reason why privacy friendly apps are pretty important:

The most common tracking library on Android is Google Play Services (in 87.3 per cent of apps)

None of my apps contain any tracking library!
    ic_launcher.png

FairEmail
    Open source, privacy friendly email app for Android

banner7_long.png

See here for a description:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/

Downloads:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email#user-content-downloads

See this XDA article for some screenshots:
    https://www.xda-developers.com/fairemail-open-source-privacy-friendly-email/

See here for more screenshots:
    https://email.faircode.eu/#screenshots

Frequently asked questions:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/blob/master/FAQ.md

This XDA thread is about using the latest version of FairEmail.

For support on authorizing an account you should consult the documentation of your provider, see also here.

Off topic comments are allowed as long they are related to FairEmail and are in the general interest of the followers of this thread.

Discussion of purchases is not allowed here, please contact me via here instead.

XDA:DevDB Information
    FairEmail, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    M66B
    Source Code: https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/

Version Information
    Stable

Created 2018-08-02
    Last Updated 2020-11-18
    It is time for a new, modern, open source, privacy friendly email client for Android.

I have just released a first alpha version for feedback on the design and features.

Not for production use yet!

Most of the stuff basically works, but be prepared for crashes and error notifications.

Safe email is a working name, but it is for several reasons not a convenient name, so suggestions for a name are welcome.
    I have just released alpha version 0.15

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/releases

With a bit of luck the next version can be a beta version.

I am putting a lot of effort into this project, so thanks are appreciated.
    I have just released alpha version 0.10

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/releases

I have put many hours into developing and debugging this release, so thanks are appreciated.

This version is still not suitable for production, but all basic functions are present now. The goal is now to stabilize this version into a first beta release, so please let me hear what problems you have.

Edit: due to database changes you'll need to setup your accounts/identities again.
    I have just released beta version 1.745

Changelog/download:

The changelog might seem uninteresting, but in fact displaying messages has been rewritten to introduce inline displaying of original messages. I spent about two days developing and testing this, so at least a "thanks" will be appreciated.

Some background: normally the web view cannot be used in a scrolling list (of messages in a conversation) and although there exist several workarounds for this, none were satisfactory. However, I had a completely novel idea (as far as I know) about how to approach this without the usual edge cases (hopefully) !

To do: investigate if using a dark background is feasible (setting the background dark is simple, but the challenge is to modify the message so that everything is still readable). I will consider to add an option to always display original messages.

Please report any problem you discover, so it can be fixed.