• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[APP][5.0+] FairEmail - Fully featured, open source, privacy oriented email app

Search This thread

Android.Addiction

Oct 4, 2012
There is no cloud storage for privacy reasons, so this isn't possible and given the goal of the project also not desirable.

Also, the app is for 98% free to use, so paying servers for cloud storage wouldn't be feasible. The usual way is to show ads, track you and analyze your behavior and sell the acquired data to earn money. Fairmail will never do this.
Thanks for the response. Just to be clear, my post was less a call for synchronization functionality, more an effort to understand how you intend the feature to be used across multiple devices in its current form.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Thanks for the response. Just to be clear, my post was less a call for synchronization functionality, more an effort to understand how you intend the feature to be used across multiple devices in its current form.
Without something between the devices (a "cloud" or server, etc), data can't be easily and securely be shared between devices.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
@Android.Addiction to quickly switch between folders for the primary account you can tap on the folder icon in the top action bar.

If you long press it, you can select the account first.

You can set an account primary by long pressing it in the list of accounts (via manual setup in the main setup screen).

Does this help?

Reactions: fraschi51

Android.Addiction

Oct 4, 2012
Without something between the devices (a "cloud" or server, etc), data can't be easily and securely be shared between devices.
What I mean is, for example, should I have both my tablet and phone with message classification enabled for the same folder? Or just one device? Like if I had it enabled just on my phone: when I do things on my tablet, my phone will eventually sync those changes, so wouldn't FairEmail seeing items move in/out of that folder (even if it happened on another device) still help "educate" the AI? Or does it require explicit user action on the device itself?
@Android.Addiction to quickly switch between folders for the primary account you can tap on the folder icon in the top action bar.

If you long press it, you can select the account first.

You can set an account primary by long pressing it in the list of accounts (via manual setup in the main setup screen).

Does this help?
I typically use this menu to edit folder settings. I assumed that was the purpose of it, since you can also switch folders in the hamburger menu. What was your original design intent for both of them?
Version 1.1678 is available on GitHub now.

Changelog/download:
https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/releases

@Android.Addiction there are display options for a fixed navigation menu and two columns in portrait mode now.
Wow you are really amazing. Here I was thinking the pro version was a little pricy, now I think you aren't getting paid enough :)

Just so I'm clear, does the fixed navigation menu in portrait also hide the text? I'm assuming it does, since with text otherwise it would not fit the screen size for most phones, I'm guessing.

Thanks again you've been fantastic and extremely helpful!!

Reactions: nadir husain

Magister81

Jul 5, 2018
lachende-smilies-0101.gif

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
What I mean is, for example, should I have both my tablet and phone with message classification enabled for the same folder? Or just one device? Like if I had it enabled just on my phone: when I do things on my tablet, my phone will eventually sync those changes, so wouldn't FairEmail seeing items move in/out of that folder (even if it happened on another device) still help "educate" the AI? Or does it require explicit user action on the device itself?

I typically use this menu to edit folder settings. I assumed that was the purpose of it, since you can also switch folders in the hamburger menu. What was your original design intent for both of them?

Wow you are really amazing. Here I was thinking the pro version was a little pricy, now I think you aren't getting paid enough :)

Just so I'm clear, does the fixed navigation menu in portrait also hide the text? I'm assuming it does, since with text otherwise it would not fit the screen size for most phones, I'm guessing.

Thanks again you've been fantastic and extremely helpful!!
Only actively moving on the device will train the message classifier. However, only one device needs to be trained to move messages because the message will be moved on the email server too.

The folder list is there is to select a folder and view the messages in the folder.

The fixed navigation menu doesn't hide texts, icons and numbers because the result would be ambiguous.

topcaser

Dec 17, 2005
The sliding navigation menu doesn't overlay any more but the message pane is compressed now. This looks and is strange in my opinion. I can't read anything in the message pane. It's useless and looks (again) strange. Could you please revert back?

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
The sliding navigation menu doesn't overlay any more but the message pane is compressed now. This looks and is strange in my opinion. I can't read anything in the message pane. It's useless and looks (again) strange. Could you please revert back?
Is this in portrait or landscape mode? Did you enable two column mode?

topcaser

Dec 17, 2005
And a further strange thing (maybe an unwanted behavior, nonetheless to say bug):
If one slide out the navigation pane and tab into an email the back arrow on the top left corner switches back to the message list instead sliding back the navigation menu. One have to tab twice. Very strange and odd behavior

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
And a further strange thing (maybe an unwanted behavior, nonetheless to say bug):
If one slide out the navigation pane and tab into an email the back arrow on the top left corner switches back to the message list instead sliding back the navigation menu. One have to tab twice. Very strange and odd behavior
With the fixed navigation menu (did you enabled) that, this is the expected behavior.

Top Liked Posts