• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[APP][5.0+] FairEmail - Fully featured, open source, privacy oriented email app

Search This thread

jmh2002

Jun 1, 2016
NZL, POL, UKR
@jmh2002 sorting folders containing unread messages on top is possible via the three-dots overflow menu now.

THANK YOU!!! Marcel.

I installed this update immediately after it was released and I've already been using this new functionality yesterday and today, and it is as fantastic as I had hoped for :love:

Here's a screenshot showing the entire phone screen filled with folders that have unread emails (and that isn't even all of them) nicely sorted at the top of the folder list ready to be read and actioned. Fantastic!

This is really great now! (y) Woohoo :cowboy:

Screenshot_20210914-202228_FairEmail.jpg

DaOldMan

Oct 6, 2010
Dear @M66B,

Is RTL support planned in the future ? This will enable using FairMail in Hebrew/Arabic/Farsi. For now I didn't find any option to enable RTL and everything is left alligned instead of right alligned on PC when you receive mail from FairMail.
Thanks for the hard work.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Dear @M66B,

Is RTL support planned in the future ? This will enable using FairMail in Hebrew/Arabic/Farsi. For now I didn't find any option to enable RTL and everything is left alligned instead of right alligned on PC when you receive mail from FairMail.
Thanks for the hard work.
RTL is fully supported, even for lists, etc.
Just set your device (or the app via the miscellaneous settings) to a RTL language.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I use an English interface so FairMail used English. I tested RTL and got zero RTL support. So this doesn't work automatickly. I will now test it in hebrew language. Thank you !
I am not sure what you mean by zero support, but the direction should be correct both while reading and writing texts. Note that this is basically provided by Android and there FairEmail will handle a few special cases like the direction of list, etc.

DaOldMan

Oct 6, 2010
I am not sure what you mean by zero support, but the direction should be correct both while reading and writing texts. Note that this is basically provided by Android and there FairEmail will handle a few special cases like the direction of list, etc.
Sir,

I have tested the app in Hebrew now. It's a very nice email client with a lot of great options. Unfortunetly it doesn't support RTL. It has nice RTL support in the UI elements but the main feature of a RTL friendly mail is that the mails themselves have to be correctly formated and aligned on NON ANDROID devices. Which means for instance Outlook on the PC. If I send an email which has hebrew and english in it and someone will try to read it on pc in Outlook he will find it hard. Everything is left aligned and english and hebrew words are moved around so the sentences have no meaning. It's very hard to find a RTL friendly email client on Android. Since many clients moved to Html/Rich text almost all of them broke RTL in process. This includes gmail and outlook which are also unusible for us. If you wish I can send you screenshots of how the mail looks and how it should really look. I think implementing RTL is not easy. But it would make this client great for the milions of Arabic users.
Again thanks for everything and especialy the fast reply.

Last edited:

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Sir,

I have tested the app in Hebrew now. It's a very nice with a lot of great options. Unfortunetly it doesn't support RTL. It has nice RTL support in the UI elements but the the main feature of a RTL friendly mail is that the mails themselves have to be correctly formated and aligned on NON ANDROID devices. Which means for instance Outlook on the PC. If I send an email which has hebrew and english in it and someone will try to read it on pc in Outlook he will find it hard. Everything is left aligned and english and hebrew words are moved around so the sentences have no meaning. It's very hard to find a RTL friendly email client on Android. Since many clients moved to Html/Rich text almost all of them broke RTL in process. This includes gmail and outlook which are also unusible for us. If you wish I can send you screenshots of how the mail looks and how it should really look. I think implementing RTL is not easy. But it would make this client great for the milions of Arabic users.
Again thanks for everything and especialy the fast reply.
@DaOldMan

I am pretty sure that FairEmail sets the RTL indicator in messages correct. You can check the HTML if you wish.

So, this is more a problem of the non Android email client!

Several people helped to make this work correctly!

When in doubt, you can always contact me via 'Report issue' in the navigation menu.

Dark_Eyes_

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Sep 19, 2013
Am I the only one for which Office 365 messages don't show the background color on reformatted text? I noticed this today, but it seems to be working properly for my Gmail account.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Am I the only one for which Office 365 messages don't show the background color on reformatted text? I noticed this today, but it seems to be working properly for my Gmail account.
The app reformats messages for all providers in the same way, so that won't be the explanation.

Please send me a raw message of an example message which is supposed to show a background color, indicating where it should be shown.

Note that there are a number of heuristics to remove the background color to be sure the text is readable, especially when using dark themes.

nadir husain

Aug 31, 2019
The app reformats messages for all providers in the same way, so that won't be the explanation.

Please send me a raw message of an example message which is supposed to show a background color, indicating where it should be shown.

Note that there are a number of heuristics to remove the background color to be sure the text is readable, especially when using dark themes.
Marcel you are amazing. It's barely morning in Europe and you are at it👋.
Have you had breakfast yet?

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Version 1.1724 is available on GitHub now.

Changelog/download:
https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/releases

There is a new display option to show a fixed date header at the top instead of grouping messages by date.

The navigation folders (selected by long pressing a folder in the folder list) have been moved under accounts in the navigation menu. Since the outbox was already moved under unified folders, there is now one section less in the navigation menu.

Both represent structural changes, which is why this version is marked experimental again.

fraschi51

Mar 17, 2016
Appreciate moving the outbox location. Improves usability, I think.
I usually don't need the section with the (other) collection folders and therefore I usually don't have it expanded. For me it would be better if - like in the past - waiting mails were visible in the outbox in the same way and at the same time with possibly still open processes.

fraschi51

Mar 17, 2016
No, not by the 'number of unread messages', but by conditionally showing any synced Folder with Unread Messages first, at the top of the Sync'd part of the Folder List.

Reordering the Folders will not help because how can I predict in advance which folders will have unread messages at any given time? (Gmail filters/rules are automatically sending messages to Folders/Labels)

For example, I have dozens of Folders/Labels being synced but I can only see the first 15 of those (alphabetically) on my phone screen in the first instance.

Maybe none of those first 15 Folders/Labels have unread messages (so they are actually useless appearing at the top of the list, just taking up screen space for no reason), but further down, let's say Folder 28, or Folder 45, or Folder 100, or whatever, has unread messages - but I can't easily see that.

I need to scroll down through my entire folder list each time to check which folders have unread messages.

So IMHO that is not very user friendly and it would be better/nicer for them to show at the top.

In addition, from a UI point of view, Google does exactly what I am suggesting with Gmail. Folders can be shown conditionally on 'Show if Unread' basis. So I don't think it's very odd or confusing.

Also, FairEmail is already altering the order of the Folder List, by showing the Synced Folders at the top, out of their place in the alphabetic list.

Does that explain the situation better? I've also attached a screenshot.

You were previously amenable to my original request in August but said you would give some more thought regarding how to implement it.

Thanks again for considering it :)
Why don't you use the collection input? Then you can see every new incoming mail, no matter in which folder it ends up? Or do I understand something wrong here?

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I usually don't need the section with the (other) collection folders and therefore I usually don't have it expanded. For me it would be better if - like in the past - waiting mails were visible in the outbox in the same way and at the same time with possibly still open processes.
You can still see waiting messages at the bottom right in message lists.

I think it is more consistent to move the outbox, which is for all accounts, to the unified folders section. Moreover, the quick navigation folders have been moved under the accounts, which is why there can be one section less in the navigation menu now.

Reactions: nadir husain

Top Liked Posts

Version 1.1768 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/dowload:
    I was thinking the same thing, but assumed that I didn't understand correctly, because that would seem crazy... 😀
    I have gone through the source code and it appears that the Emoji font file is provided by Google Play services.

The next version of the app will fetch the Emoji font file by default for the Play store version to be compliant with the new Play store policies and optionally for the GitHub version (you will be able to turn this on or off in the privacy settings).
    FairEmail will be 10 MB bigger because Google forces apps to include emoji. This is the policy:

The alternative is worse: let the app download the emoji on demand from Google's servers.

As a comparison: the app is about 20 MB now.

I am pretty shocked by this monopolistic dictating behavior of Google.
    Why should every app include those emojis??? It would be better if Google downloaded it via play services once and stored it for the whole system and for all apps to use.
    How did you test? By manually marking a message as Spam? I also tested like this and also found the notifications worked correctly in that situation.

But for an email that was automatically sent to Spam by Gmail's servers I didn't get any notification.
    I have one Gmail account that seems to work like a spam magnet. I set the Spam folder to notify on new messages and I got a new notification within 5 minutes 🥴
    FairEmail will be 10 MB bigger because Google forces apps to include emoji. This is the policy:

We're adding an Android Emoji policy that requires apps running on Android 12 and above to comply with the latest version of Unicode approved emojis within 4 months of availability. The policy will also present developers with different compliance options.

Effective April 1, 2022

The alternative is worse: let the app download the emoji on demand from Google's servers.

As a comparison: the app is about 20 MB now.

I am pretty shocked by this monopolistic dictating behavior of Google.
    Stopping with improvements wouldn't be fair to the people appreciating my effort, so I will keep improving the GitHub version and reduce the Play store updates to once a month.
    Since it happened too many times to me that I answered a message while a new message arrived making the answer less useful, the next version will show a bottom notification when a new message arrives in the same thread as you are composing a message for. Tapping on 'Show' will open the conversation, so you can quickly check the new message.
    The next version will support a Material You light/dark/black theme (Android 12):

Screenshot_20211026-164712.png
    Screenshot_20211026-164735.png
    Screenshot_20211026-164747.png
    Screenshot_20211026-164757.png

Screenshot_20211026-164836.png
    Screenshot_20211026-164842.png
    Screenshot_20211026-164849.png
    Screenshot_20211026-164902.png
    Version 1.1764 1.1765 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:
    Version 1.1761 fixes all reported problems, including my failures as reported by @Dark_Eyes_

ic_launcher.png

FairEmail
    Open source, privacy friendly email app for Android

banner7_long.png

See here for a description:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/

Downloads:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email#user-content-downloads

See this XDA article for some screenshots:
    https://www.xda-developers.com/fairemail-open-source-privacy-friendly-email/

See here for more screenshots:
    https://email.faircode.eu/#screenshots

Frequently asked questions:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/blob/master/FAQ.md

This XDA thread is about using the latest version of FairEmail.

For support on authorizing an account you should consult the documentation of your provider, see also here.

Off topic comments are allowed as long they are related to FairEmail and are in the general interest of the followers of this thread.

Discussion of purchases is not allowed here, please contact me via here instead.

XDA:DevDB Information
    FairEmail, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    M66B
    Source Code: https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/

Version Information
    Stable

Created 2018-08-02
    Last Updated 2020-11-18
    It is time for a new, modern, open source, privacy friendly email client for Android.

I have just released a first alpha version for feedback on the design and features.

Not for production use yet!

Most of the stuff basically works, but be prepared for crashes and error notifications.

Safe email is a working name, but it is for several reasons not a convenient name, so suggestions for a name are welcome.
    I have just released alpha version 0.15

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/releases

With a bit of luck the next version can be a beta version.

I am putting a lot of effort into this project, so thanks are appreciated.
    I have just released alpha version 0.10

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/releases

I have put many hours into developing and debugging this release, so thanks are appreciated.

This version is still not suitable for production, but all basic functions are present now. The goal is now to stabilize this version into a first beta release, so please let me hear what problems you have.

Edit: due to database changes you'll need to setup your accounts/identities again.
    I have just released beta version 1.745

Changelog/download:

The changelog might seem uninteresting, but in fact displaying messages has been rewritten to introduce inline displaying of original messages. I spent about two days developing and testing this, so at least a "thanks" will be appreciated.

Some background: normally the web view cannot be used in a scrolling list (of messages in a conversation) and although there exist several workarounds for this, none were satisfactory. However, I had a completely novel idea (as far as I know) about how to approach this without the usual edge cases (hopefully) !

To do: investigate if using a dark background is feasible (setting the background dark is simple, but the challenge is to modify the message so that everything is still readable). I will consider to add an option to always display original messages.

Please report any problem you discover, so it can be fixed.