• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[APP][5.0+] FairEmail - Fully featured, open source, privacy oriented email app

Search This thread

asripath

Jul 12, 2020
Like I have said before, dedication and distance don't go very well together. I don't depend on the project for anything, so I can easily take distance and let it go, but wouldn't that be a waste? It is just a choice, of which I have made countless in my life (I am 55 years young).

it might be a drop in an ocean....

i just came across your app and
have been using it for a week odd..

thank you

Reactions: M66B

heinhuiz

Nov 26, 2011
Anyway, whatever you decide, make sure that you will not miss this project! (I will, but that's a side issue.) And keep in mind that a next project will be treated the same, if you want to make it broadly available like FE.

I wish you all wisdom with your choice.

nadir husain

Aug 31, 2019
Anyway, whatever you decide, make sure that you will not miss this project! (I will, but that's a side issue.) And keep in mind that a next project will be treated the same, if you want to make it broadly available like FE.

I wish you all wisdom with your choice.
Oh I agree totally. We , as users, will be desperate to scramble onto something that vaguely reminds us of FE but you will also have to decide what app you will use. I can't bear to think of going back to any of the apps I used before this and most of the new ones have proxy servers and are a privacy nightmare. Besides it's your baby and you cannot just let it wither away....or can you?

David B-E

May 13, 2021
Well that was easy.

So today FairEmail still not re-authenticating Oauth so won't sync, while Thunderbird continues to sync. As after a few years I don't remember how I configured accounts, I checked how my outlook.com mailbox is configured in Thunderbird. Just configured manually in Thunderbird like my other imap accounts, no Oauth, no special app passwords or any of that. So I deleted the account in FairEmail, then created the account again manually, server name, account name, my normal Microsoft password, picked an account colour. It syncs fine. Maybe because it's just the free outlook.com mailbox with a standard free Microsoft account, and I don't have a desktop Outlook/Outlook365 subscription, but just treating it like any old IMAP mailbox works for me.

topcaser

Dec 17, 2005
The saved searches are really wonderful. Love it once understood how they are working. Saying that, why is it not possible to use a search string in parallel to the other meta options like star? This would be helpful

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
The saved searches are really wonderful. Love it once understood how they are working. Saying that, why is it not possible to use a search string in parallel to the other meta options like star? This would be helpful
Please tap on 'More options', scroll down and you can select 'With star'.

The star at the top is a 'shortcut' to search for starred messages only.

topcaser

Dec 17, 2005
Marcel, there isn't a dialogue like that in more options.

Here is a screenshot:
Screenshot_2021-09-25-14-41-47-24_208213728eb6a732b32bf625e881f060.jpg

topcaser

Dec 17, 2005
Another feature request regarding saved search: imagine, you have an important email. OK, We can tag it with stars but sometimes I would wish to have a shortcut to them (since you need it from time to time). Isn't it possible to create a search out of a currently opened email? E. G. One could select which search parameters he wants to save from that email like title, sender and/or tags. What do you think?

I give you an example use case: I build a house and get quotes for certain things. From time to time I need to review the quotes.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Another feature request regarding saved search: imagine, you have an important email. OK, We can tag it with stars but sometimes I would wish to have a shortcut to them (since you need it from time to time). Isn't it possible to create a search out of a currently opened email? E. G. One could select which search parameters he wants to save from that email like title, sender and/or tags. What do you think?

I give you an example use case: I build a house and get quotes for certain things. From time to time I need to review the quotes.
In the expanded addresses section, between the message header and message text there is already a search for the sender you might want to use.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
There is a new release, both on GitHub and in the Play store to workaround the Outlook authentication problems. In the error dialog there is a button to change the password, which will switch the account from OAuth to password authentication, which is normally not possible. There is also a help text for when 2FA is enabled, in which case an app password is required.

This is a workaround, which will probably cause problems later on when Microsoft disable Basic Auth (password authentication). See also here.

David B-E

May 13, 2021
Just to express my view on the issue, when I decided to look for a new Android email client some months ago, if FairEmail at the time had said flatly that it didn't support Microsoft/Outlook.com email accounts and wouldn't in the future, but otherwise everything else it did then and does now, I would still have tried it, still have chosen it over all the others I tried, still paid for the Pro license, and would still be happily using it now. Frankly, I'm not bothered. I only have the outlook.com address because it was given to me automatically when I created a Microsoft account for the assorted Microsoft desktops then laptops I've had since then. The only emails I get in that mailbox are the automated calendar ones which I'd turn off if I could be bothered to make the effort, the odd account security one which is also sent to one of my main non-Microsoft email addresses so I'd get anyway, and the odd (usually automated) response to me submitting feedback about Edge Canary from Edge Canary where I'm logged in with my Microsoft account. They'd be no loss, but actually i have Outlook on my phone anyway (but not laptop) not for the email but for the calendar which syncs better with my laptop than the Google/Android one. I haven't configured it with any other email address than my Microsoft one, but it does fetch that tiny trickle of Microsoft email to my outlook.com address, so if FairEmail didn't fetch it, I could read that tiny bit of email in Outlook while doing the over 99% of my normal email use of my other 5, non-Microsoft mailboxes in FairEmail.

So, for me even if FairEmail lost the ability to connect to my outlook.com mailbox completely I wouldn't be bothered, and would think it a crying shame if such a brilliant email client, head and shoulders above any other Android client I've tried, was abandoned just because of this issue with Microsoft mailboxes. But that's just me, and I know there are people who cry and scream about things (even if the issue was made clear at the outset) without any attempt to understand the realities of things: that must be very wearing and stressful for app creators.

Oh, and on another matter, Marcel, I'm afraid disability makes me drop in and out of conversations, be unable to write, or even read for stretches of time, and forget there were things I should reply to in the periods when I am vaguely functional. So a belated thank you for addressing the issue I raised about occasionally needing to switch the original display of a particular message to light theme from the dark theme I have FairEmail configured to. Those new menu entries and especially the optional theme switching icon in the message display is perfect. Thank you - such great support for the needs of a user.

greta123456

Apr 23, 2020
Redmi K20 Pro
Well that was easy.

So today FairEmail still not re-authenticating Oauth so won't sync, while Thunderbird continues to sync. As after a few years I don't remember how I configured accounts, I checked how my outlook.com mailbox is configured in Thunderbird. Just configured manually in Thunderbird like my other imap accounts, no Oauth, no special app passwords or any of that. So I deleted the account in FairEmail, then created the account again manually, server name, account name, my normal Microsoft password, picked an account colour. It syncs fine. Maybe because it's just the free outlook.com mailbox with a standard free Microsoft account, and I don't have a desktop Outlook/Outlook365 subscription, but just treating it like any old IMAP mailbox works for me.
Same here, from yesterday all I got is server authenticate failed.

Top Liked Posts

Version 1.1767 is available on GitHub now.

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/releases
    The next version will support a Material You light/dark/black theme (Android 12):

Screenshot_20211026-164712.png
    Screenshot_20211026-164735.png
    Screenshot_20211026-164747.png
    Screenshot_20211026-164757.png

Screenshot_20211026-164836.png
    Screenshot_20211026-164842.png
    Screenshot_20211026-164849.png
    Screenshot_20211026-164902.png
    Hello, I have a relatively simple question: I have 3 accounts. 2 of them I want to periodicially sync once a day the other account I want to periodicially sync every 4 or 8 hours. How can I set this up?

I tried it the following way: Settings - Receive - When is put to "Every day". For the one account i wanted a higher checking freqeunce I went to the Settings - Main - Manual setup and account options - Accounts - Then the account which i wanted to have a sync every 4 hours - Advanced - Keep alive interval at for example 240 minutes. The setting at Edit properties for my Inbox at "synchronize" and "Check periodicially instead of continuous sync" - 1x240 minutes are activated. Unfortunately it does not work as I thought because it still syncs only every day. I looked around in the app and the FAQ but couldn't manage to get the correct solution for it.

My version is the current playstore version 1.1759.
    Please change the keep alive interval back.

What you want is not possible. You can mix push messages and periodically checking for messages with one interval only. Different intervals for different accounts are not (yet?) possible.

You could do this with an automation app though, please see this FAQ:

https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/FAQ.md#user-content-faq78
    Ah interesting, like what?
    Whether the message was replied to, forwarded, classified, is snoozed, has attachments, the number of messages in the conversation thread, etc.
    Nice! I still think that being able to hide it would give a more polished aspect to the mail list view, but it's not such a big deal and if it's useful for other purposes I'm fine with it.
    Thank you for everything Marcel!
    There is a configurable padding on my to do list, but it won't be high priority.
    Stopping with improvements wouldn't be fair to the people appreciating my effort, so I will keep improving the GitHub version and reduce the Play store updates to once a month.
    Since it happened too many times to me that I answered a message while a new message arrived making the answer less useful, the next version will show a bottom notification when a new message arrives in the same thread as you are composing a message for. Tapping on 'Show' will open the conversation, so you can quickly check the new message.
    Version 1.1764 1.1765 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:
    Version 1.1761 fixes all reported problems, including my failures as reported by @Dark_Eyes_

A documented reason why privacy friendly apps are pretty important:

The most common tracking library on Android is Google Play Services (in 87.3 per cent of apps)

None of my apps contain any tracking library!
    ic_launcher.png

FairEmail
    Open source, privacy friendly email app for Android

banner7_long.png

See here for a description:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/

Downloads:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email#user-content-downloads

See this XDA article for some screenshots:
    https://www.xda-developers.com/fairemail-open-source-privacy-friendly-email/

See here for more screenshots:
    https://email.faircode.eu/#screenshots

Frequently asked questions:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/blob/master/FAQ.md

This XDA thread is about using the latest version of FairEmail.

For support on authorizing an account you should consult the documentation of your provider, see also here.

Off topic comments are allowed as long they are related to FairEmail and are in the general interest of the followers of this thread.

Discussion of purchases is not allowed here, please contact me via here instead.

XDA:DevDB Information
    FairEmail, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    M66B
    Source Code: https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/

Version Information
    Stable

Created 2018-08-02
    Last Updated 2020-11-18
    It is time for a new, modern, open source, privacy friendly email client for Android.

I have just released a first alpha version for feedback on the design and features.

Not for production use yet!

Most of the stuff basically works, but be prepared for crashes and error notifications.

Safe email is a working name, but it is for several reasons not a convenient name, so suggestions for a name are welcome.
    I have just released alpha version 0.15

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/releases

With a bit of luck the next version can be a beta version.

I am putting a lot of effort into this project, so thanks are appreciated.
    I have just released alpha version 0.10

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/releases

I have put many hours into developing and debugging this release, so thanks are appreciated.

This version is still not suitable for production, but all basic functions are present now. The goal is now to stabilize this version into a first beta release, so please let me hear what problems you have.

Edit: due to database changes you'll need to setup your accounts/identities again.
    I have just released beta version 1.745

Changelog/download:

The changelog might seem uninteresting, but in fact displaying messages has been rewritten to introduce inline displaying of original messages. I spent about two days developing and testing this, so at least a "thanks" will be appreciated.

Some background: normally the web view cannot be used in a scrolling list (of messages in a conversation) and although there exist several workarounds for this, none were satisfactory. However, I had a completely novel idea (as far as I know) about how to approach this without the usual edge cases (hopefully) !

To do: investigate if using a dark background is feasible (setting the background dark is simple, but the challenge is to modify the message so that everything is still readable). I will consider to add an option to always display original messages.

Please report any problem you discover, so it can be fixed.