[CLOSED][APP][5.0+] FairEmail - Fully featured, open source, privacy oriented email app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

wimstefan

Sep 20, 2014
Version 1.1516 is available on GitHub now and will be available in the Play store test program after Google's approval, mostly within a few hours.

Changelog/download:
https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/releases

This version will show searched and browsed messages faster. Please let me know if everything still works as expected. "It works fine" will be appreciated too!

Browse = download more messages from the email server on scrolling down. This is enabled by default and can be disabled in the advanced account settings.

I have also added searching for texts in local notes. I needed that myself ...
Looking good so far for my simple usage profile :)

Reactions: M66B

AndroAlex

Feb 25, 2021
@M66B Dear Marcel, this is a good setting option / circumstance, but does the corresponding message also contain a small warning about exporting the data beforehand? I'm just a normal user from a non-binary galaxy ... :D

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
@M66B Dear Marcel, this is a good setting option / circumstance, but does the corresponding message also contain a small warning about exporting the data beforehand? I'm just a normal user from a non-binary galaxy ... :D
This should normally not be necessary. Personally, I have never lost any data by updating the app, which I have done literally 10,000s of times!

gabi11

Dec 13, 2011
Hi Marcel,

Speaking of export/import area

1. As I already searched the thread: export settings doesn't export the rules, right?
Need to go per folder to "edit rules" screen and export/import from there?
2. No way of exporting local notes, correct?

Thank you!

ouzowtf

Sep 8, 2010
Browsing and searching works fine for me from what I can tell right now.

I have a minor priority feature request for the rules:
Would be nice if I could check for how old a mail is.
My use case would be "delete mails from sender x when they are older than y days"

Reactions: AndroAlex and M66B

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Browsing and searching works fine for me from what I can tell right now.

I have a minor priority feature request for the rules:
Would be nice if I could check for how old a mail is.
My use case would be "delete mails from sender x when they are older than y days"
Rules are meant to be executed when a new message arrives. At that moment a message is always new.

Maybe you want to change the folder "keep" time instead?

Related FAQ:

https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/FAQ.md#user-content-faq39

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Hi Marcel,

Speaking of export/import area

1. As I already searched the thread: export settings doesn't export the rules, right?
Need to go per folder to "edit rules" screen and export/import from there?
2. No way of exporting local notes, correct?

Thank you!
The main export (via the settings screen) exports everything, including rules.

Local notes cannot be exported, but I will add this to my to do list to look into. The challenge will be to find back the original message.

ouzowtf

Sep 8, 2010

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Oh, okay. Currently the keep time would not help, because there are other mails in this folder, but I'll try to figure out a solution for this (folder specially for this sender) or live with it. Thanks.
If the messages of this sender are special in some way, this would be a good justification for a special folder and a special treatment IMHO. That's what I do too ;-)

Reactions: AndroAlex

AndroAlex

Feb 25, 2021
Hmm, it's just a train of thought regarding the original messages to which a note is attached ... maybe the original message is simply marked with a red star and left in the original folder, while the annotated (copied) message is in its own folder ( "FairNotes") stored ... that might also keep the overview of the "note / to-do" emails ...

ouzowtf

Sep 8, 2010
If the messages of this sender are special in some way, this would be a good justification for a special folder and a special treatment IMHO. That's what I do too ;-)
They are not special enough normally. These are my Dominos mails (again 😂) and they are pushed per rule to a folder where other sales discount mails are (manually moved) stored.
I just look for this mails when I really want to order pizzas (seldom), not because there is any discount offer (often), but the discounts have an expiration of validity and the mails are useless after some time.
Other mails in this folder should be stored longer and will be deleted manually.

tl;dr
I think they get a separate folder 🤪

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Hmm, it's just a train of thought regarding the original messages to which a note is attached ... maybe the original message is simply marked with a red star and left in the original folder, while the annotated (copied) message is in its own folder ( "FairNotes") stored ... that might also keep the overview of the "note / to-do" emails ...
It is on my to do list to look into copying notes.

beeshyams

Dec 29, 2014
Bangalore
Version 1.1516 is available on GitHub now and will be available in the Play store test program after Google's approval, mostly within a few hours.

Changelog/download:

This version will show searched and browsed messages faster. Please let me know if everything still works as expected. "It works fine" will be appreciated too!

Browse = download more messages from the email server on scrolling down. This is enabled by default and can be disabled in the advanced account settings.

I have also added searching for texts in local notes. I needed that myself ...

Sorry.. What exactly is "local notes"?

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Sorry.. What exactly is "local notes"?
This is a relative new option: in the horizontal three-dots menu just above the message text near the left side there is a new option to write a little note for yourself, like "Call back on Wednesday", etc, which will be shown in the message header.

If you use this often, you can enable a button for this via the horizontal three-dots menu too.

beeshyams

Dec 29, 2014
Bangalore
This is a relative new option: in the horizontal three-dots menu just above the message text near the left side there is a new option to write a little note for yourself, like "Call back on Wednesday", etc, which will be shown in the message header.

If you use this often, you can enable a button for this via the horizontal three-dots menu too.

Excellent 👍

Version 1.1517 is available on GitHub now and will be available in the Play store test program after Google's approval, mostly within a few hours.

Changelog/download:

Something was not quite right with searching and browsing, which was addressed in this release.

@nadir husain @xdabushrang3r @gabi11 @Andriy U. @O_DoC and others: can you please double check if searching and browsing still works as expected for you? I am trying to make sure it works on all devices as intended. Both are pretty important features!

Still working like a charm here !
[Device p30pro Android 10.1]
Browse ==👌🏽as usual
Search => even faster 🤘🏽

Thanks Marcel

Reactions: M66B
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ic_launcher.png

FairEmail
    Open source, privacy friendly email app for Android

banner7_long.png

See here for a description:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/

See here for screenshots:
    https://email.faircode.eu/#screenshots

Downloads:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email#user-content-downloads

Frequently asked questions:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/blob/master/FAQ.md

Please read this before requesting a new feature:
    https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/FAQ.md#user-content-get-support

This XDA thread is about using the latest version of FairEmail.

For support on authorizing an account, you should consult the documentation of your provider, see also here.

Off-topic comments are allowed as long they are related to FairEmail and are in the general interest of the followers of this thread.

Discussion of purchases is not allowed here, please contact me via here instead.
    How was the call with Google today, Marcel?

Google was pretty friendly and cooperative and told me the favicons are indeed the problem, and it can/should be fixed by updating in the privacy policy to "disclose how your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares user data":

Privacy Policy​

All apps must post a privacy policy in both the designated field in Play Console and within the app itself. The privacy policy must, together with any in-app disclosures, comprehensively disclose how your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares user data, not limited by the data disclosed in the Data Safety section. This must include:
    • developer information and a privacy point of contact or a mechanism to submit inquiries
    • disclosing the types of personal and sensitive user data your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares; and any parties with which any personal or sensitive user data is shared
    • secure data handling procedures for personal and sensitive user data
    • the developer’s data retention and deletion policy
    • clear labeling as a privacy policy (e.g., listed as “privacy policy” in title)
    The entity (e.g., developer, company) named in the app’s Google Play listing must appear in the privacy policy or the app must be named in the privacy policy. Apps that do not access any personal and sensitive user data must still submit a privacy policy.

Please make sure your privacy policy is available on an active URL (no PDFs) and is non-editable.

So, I have updated the privacy policy and added this new table:

https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/PRIVACY.md#summary-of-shared-data

I am not sure if it covers everything, so feedback is more than welcome. @mkasimd maybe you can take a look?

Note that I have also enabled BIMI, Gravatars, Libravatars and favicons for the Play store version again.

The short term goal is to release a Play store test version (and associated GitHub version) and to get the update approved. I will think about the next steps after this has been accomplished. Given the huge number of supportive messages I received (much appreciated!) the project will be continued in some form in any case.
    Version 1.1900 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval (which is the main goal of this release).

Changelog/download:

My girlfriend is slowly recovering too :)
    It is time for a new, modern, open source, privacy friendly email client for Android.

I have just released a first alpha version for feedback on the design and features.

Not for production use yet!

Most of the stuff basically works, but be prepared for crashes and error notifications.

Safe email is a working name, but it is for several reasons not a convenient name, so suggestions for a name are welcome.
    I have just released alpha version 0.15

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/releases

With a bit of luck the next version can be a beta version.

I am putting a lot of effort into this project, so thanks are appreciated.