[CLOSED][APP][5.0+] FairEmail - Fully featured, open source, privacy oriented email app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
This looks potentially useful but I would like clarification on how it's different from the list of last 5 folders.

Is it like the spam?; selection of folders based on Baysen statistics for the recent selection of folders for that type of emails or is it just the most used folders?

Previously I have asked for a reduced of number steps needed to move an email, so anything to assist with this is appreciated.

The search will show the last 5 selected folders. The folder favorites are based on the frequency of selecting folders and can be selected with one tap.

harrisc

Mar 20, 2011
The search will show the last 5 selected folders. The folder favorites are based on the frequency of selecting folders and can be selected with one tap.
I want to reduce the number of taps so any improvement is welcome. If the frequency of selecting folders were counted for EACH email address and hence different, this system would be great.

If the counting is the frequency of folders over all emails, I think I would prefer the recent used folder list to come up automatically when I start the move email dialog. The list of "high frequency" folders could be above the last 5 list. This would give the benefits of both systems.

One further suggestion: the last 5 list could be full path names like the high frequency folders and this would make moving emails from one server to another server much easier/quicker.

Chris

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I want to reduce the number of taps so any improvement is welcome. If the frequency of selecting folders were counted for EACH email address and hence different, this system would be great.

If the counting is the frequency of folders over all emails, I think I would prefer the recent used folder list to come up automatically when I start the move email dialog. The list of "high frequency" folders could be above the last 5 list. This would give the benefits of both systems.

One further suggestion: the last 5 list could be full path names like the high frequency folders and this would make moving emails from one server to another server much easier/quicker.

Chris
The frequency is per account.

The three most used folders will be listed on top. More is not really possible considering small screens and long folder names.

Reactions: mrrocketdog

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Version 1.1551 is available on GitHub now.

Changelog/download:
https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/releases

There is one new feature which is hidden for now because it is still experimental: using HighestModSeq for a quick check if a sync is necessary on reconnecting. This will probably reduce battery and data usage, especially when there are many reconnects due to an unstable / often changing internet connection. The email server needs to support the CONDSTORE IMAP extension for this. For example Gmail and Dovecot based email servers, like of Disroot.org, do.

You can enable this option by temporary enabling debug mode in the miscellaneous settings and enabling the MODSEQ option. You can disable debug mode again after this.

Last edited:

topcaser

Dec 17, 2005
Version 1.1551 is available on GitHub now.

Changelog/download:

There is one new feature which is hidden for now because it is still experimental: using HighestModSeq for a quick check if a sync is necessary on reconnecting. This will probably reduce battery and data usage, especially when there are many reconnects due to an unstable / often changing internet connection. The email server needs to support the CONDSTORE IMAP extension for this. For example Gmail and Dovecot based email servers, like of Disroot.org, do.

You can enable this option by temporary enabling debug mode in the miscellaneous settings and enabling the MODSEQ option. You can disable debug mode again after this.
How can I find out whether my server supports this?

mkasimd

Apr 7, 2021
Düsseldorf
How can I find out whether my server supports this?
You have to connect to your mailserver and ask it, I suppose. There are two ways to quickly achieve that, assuming you are familiar with using the CLI.

EDIT: You'll need to look for the capability "CONDSTORE". You can do this by logging in as described below, or by looking into the main log in FairEmail as described by Marcel. Using the app will be easier.

1. Telnet

Simply open a telnet client and connect to the IMAP server (no SSL/TLS), so possibly on port 143. You will receive a list of pre-login capabilities. Then enter the following:

Code:
tag login <username> <password>

Now you should get a list of all capabilities and can send requests to your mailserver afterwards. Have fun seeing what FairEmail has been doing all the time in the background to make us all happy ;)

Fun aside, you might want to test using the example as descriped in Server Implementation Consideration (RFC 4551). So try out this command:

Code:
tag SELECT INBOX
tag STORE 2:4 (UNCHANGEDSINCE 2021040800000) +FLAGS.SILENT ($Processed)

If the server response includes "MODSEQ", your server does support MODSEQ. Else, it will return a "NOMODSEQ" at some part of it's response as described in NOMODSEQ Response Code (RFC 4551). While you selected your INBOX, the server might have even responded with HIGHESTMODSEQ. There you have it.

2. OpenSSL
Connect to the mailserver via SSL/TLS, possibly on port 993, using following command:

Code:
openssl s_client -connect <imap-hostname>:<port> -quiet

Now you may log in as described above. To log out, you can use the following command with both methods:

Code:
tag logout

Anyways. Have fun, but don't play around too much. You won't want to enter the wrong commands and delete some mails haha

____

P.S.: I am not really that well versed in IMAP myself, so I just read some RFCs and wrote down some things the way it should work (and it did in my case). If there's anything wrong with this approach, feel free to correct me :)

Last edited:

EngineerMind

May 5, 2007
I have two pop accounts setup.

When I pull to refresh, I will see a blue spinning round progress icon near the top center. There is also a black bar that appears at the bottom that says "Connecting to one or more accounts...".

Since having two different indicators displaying at the same time for "refreshing" may be a bit redudant, I was wondering if there was a way to disable the black bar from appearing at the bottom? Not a big issue, just wondering if there was a trick to hide it (so only the blue spinning icon is displayed).

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I have two pop accounts setup.

When I pull to refresh, I will see a blue spinning round progress icon near the top center. There is also a black bar that appears at the bottom that says "Connecting to one or more accounts...".

Since having two different indicators displaying at the same time for "refreshing" may be a bit redudant, I was wondering if there was a way to disable the black bar from appearing at the bottom? Not a big issue, just wondering if there was a trick to hide it (so only the blue spinning icon is displayed).
There spinner shows that messages are being synchronized, which in your case will take a little longer because a connection to the email server needs to be made. This can fail too and this is also why the message was added somewhere along the road: people not understanding why messages were not being synchronized.

mkasimd

Apr 7, 2021
Düsseldorf
The capabilities of the email server are logged in the main log (via the navigation menu).
As my good old teacher once said: Why going the easy way if one can do it more complicated? Your method ist just too easy and user-friendly, Marcel! 🤣

That said, the capability one should look for is called "CONDSTORE" (@topcaser), and I guess I missed that part even though it's clearly stated in the RFC introduction lol

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Are there any sane people left in the world? There are so many 1 star ratings for the wrong reasons. People are harsh and don't take the time to take a good look or even asking a question if they have a problem. For example when their email provider requires to enable third party access. This is pretty frustrating :-(

Edit: I am not talking about just a few bad ratings.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ic_launcher.png

FairEmail
    Open source, privacy friendly email app for Android

banner7_long.png

See here for a description:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/

See here for screenshots:
    https://email.faircode.eu/#screenshots

Downloads:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email#user-content-downloads

Frequently asked questions:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/blob/master/FAQ.md

Please read this before requesting a new feature:
    https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/FAQ.md#user-content-get-support

This XDA thread is about using the latest version of FairEmail.

For support on authorizing an account, you should consult the documentation of your provider, see also here.

Off-topic comments are allowed as long they are related to FairEmail and are in the general interest of the followers of this thread.

Discussion of purchases is not allowed here, please contact me via here instead.
    How was the call with Google today, Marcel?

Google was pretty friendly and cooperative and told me the favicons are indeed the problem, and it can/should be fixed by updating in the privacy policy to "disclose how your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares user data":

Privacy Policy​

All apps must post a privacy policy in both the designated field in Play Console and within the app itself. The privacy policy must, together with any in-app disclosures, comprehensively disclose how your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares user data, not limited by the data disclosed in the Data Safety section. This must include:
    • developer information and a privacy point of contact or a mechanism to submit inquiries
    • disclosing the types of personal and sensitive user data your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares; and any parties with which any personal or sensitive user data is shared
    • secure data handling procedures for personal and sensitive user data
    • the developer’s data retention and deletion policy
    • clear labeling as a privacy policy (e.g., listed as “privacy policy” in title)
    The entity (e.g., developer, company) named in the app’s Google Play listing must appear in the privacy policy or the app must be named in the privacy policy. Apps that do not access any personal and sensitive user data must still submit a privacy policy.

Please make sure your privacy policy is available on an active URL (no PDFs) and is non-editable.

So, I have updated the privacy policy and added this new table:

https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/PRIVACY.md#summary-of-shared-data

I am not sure if it covers everything, so feedback is more than welcome. @mkasimd maybe you can take a look?

Note that I have also enabled BIMI, Gravatars, Libravatars and favicons for the Play store version again.

The short term goal is to release a Play store test version (and associated GitHub version) and to get the update approved. I will think about the next steps after this has been accomplished. Given the huge number of supportive messages I received (much appreciated!) the project will be continued in some form in any case.
    Version 1.1900 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval (which is the main goal of this release).

Changelog/download:

My girlfriend is slowly recovering too :)
    It is time for a new, modern, open source, privacy friendly email client for Android.

I have just released a first alpha version for feedback on the design and features.

Not for production use yet!

Most of the stuff basically works, but be prepared for crashes and error notifications.

Safe email is a working name, but it is for several reasons not a convenient name, so suggestions for a name are welcome.
    I have just released alpha version 0.15

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/releases

With a bit of luck the next version can be a beta version.

I am putting a lot of effort into this project, so thanks are appreciated.