[CLOSED][APP][5.0+] FairEmail - Fully featured, open source, privacy oriented email app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

mermaidkiller

Jul 25, 2011
I have installed this app as a replacement of K9 and it is awesome. But I cannot delete more than 10 (!) messages at once.

How can I delete all items in the trash ?

There appears to be a hardcoded limit of 10 messages, so when cleaning up a trash of 100 messages, one has to repeat this action ten times ?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-05-14 at 08.27.25.png
    Screenshot 2021-05-14 at 08.27.25.png
    24 KB · Views: 33

mrrocketdog

Oct 27, 2013
I have installed this app as a replacement of K9 and it is awesome. But I cannot delete more than 10 (!) messages at once.

How can I delete all items in the trash ?

There appears to be a hardcoded limit of 10 messages, so when cleaning up a trash of 100 messages, one has to repeat this action ten times ?
if you select the folder icon at the top and then select the trash folder , there will be a trash can icon at the top of the page. click on it and then select "empty trash".

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Version 1.1587 1.1588 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:
https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/releases

Text styles (size, color, font, etc) will be extended now if a new selection (partly) overlaps an existing style. Please let me know if you find any edge case. Examples with bold (red = selection):

Test test test test test - extend start
Test test test test test - extend end
Test test test test test - extend all
Test test test test test - remove inner

Permanent deletion is unlimited now, but needs to be double confirmed now. Please see here about why:

https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/FAQ.md#user-content-faq160

Last edited:

topcaser

Dec 17, 2005
I have a question regarding avatar pictures of senders. Can I enable that a picture of the sender is shown, at least for people which have a picture assigned in the contact list?

harrisc

Mar 20, 2011
I was using the XDA version and decided to change to the Playstore version. I had purchased Pro for both versions. I exported my settings from XDA and then imported them into the Playstore version.
Everything seems to be working except widgets. The widgets do not work and have a question mark.

What have I done wrong?

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I was using the XDA version and decided to change to the Playstore version. I had purchased Pro for both versions. I exported my settings from XDA and then imported them into the Playstore version.
Everything seems to be working except widgets. The widgets do not work and have a question mark.

What have I done wrong?
Android manages widgets and sometimes just loses track, which is one of the many Android bugs. Try adding the widgets again.

harrisc

Mar 20, 2011
"Android manages widgets and sometimes just loses track, which is one of the many Android bugs. Try adding the widgets again."

I removed and added them several times, with different accounts and still not working.

herlgl

Jul 31, 2016
I looked through FAQ and search this thread for 'exit' but there was only one post from years ago, so my really simple and stupid question:

How do I exit this app/How do I close this app?

I do not want to have it run most of the time, since I use POP3 anyway with my desktop PC, so I only want to use FairEmail like once a week (via IMAP) and not have it run all the time for nothing. I'm ok with it restarting on reboot, that is no issue.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I looked through FAQ and search this thread for 'exit' but there was only one post from years ago, so my really simple and stupid question:

How do I exit this app/How do I close this app?

I do not want to have it run most of the time, since I use POP3 anyway with my desktop PC, so I only want to use FairEmail like once a week (via IMAP) and not have it run all the time for nothing. I'm ok with it restarting on reboot, that is no issue.
Just disable receiving in the receive settings and you can synchronize manually.

herlgl

Jul 31, 2016
Just disable receiving in the receive settings and you can synchronize manually.
Well the thing is, I like automatic synchronization, but I don't need it most of the time.
Example: I leave the house for some hours and I want automatic sync. But at home again I want to shut down the app for the next few days so I don't see the notification all the time and it pulling mails for no reason.
This is why I thought maybe an "exit" button in the hamburger menu would be neat, since it's much quicker to access(?) Maybe with a mandatory message box informing the user that this will stop sync if you are think people might expect sync to continue working.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Well the thing is, I like automatic synchronization, but I don't need it most of the time.
Example: I leave the house for some hours and I want automatic sync. But at home again I want to shut down the app for the next few days so I don't see the notification all the time and it pulling mails for no reason.
This is why I thought maybe an "exit" button in the hamburger menu would be neat, since it's much quicker to access(?) Maybe with a mandatory message box informing the user that this will stop sync if you are think people might expect sync to continue working.
Generally, Android apps do not work like this.

There is a widget to quickly enable/disable sync. Alternatively, there is a settings tile for the same.

Grobie13

Dec 12, 2008
Hamburg
Realme GT Neo 2
Hello everybody. I have searched the settings and also searched here in the thread but I cannot find a setting that allows the date to be permanently displayed in the message overview when scrolling. Is there a possibility or could it at least be included as a suggestion?

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Hello everybody. I have searched the settings and also searched here in the thread but I cannot find a setting that allows the date to be permanently displayed in the message overview when scrolling. Is there a possibility or could it at least be included as a suggestion?
Imagine that all visible messages, which are being loaded and draw asynchronously, need to be inspected to determine which date needs to be shown at the top. That won't work and would most certainly cause a lot of stuttering. So, there is no option for this. In return, scrolling through message is pretty fluid and the app won't have problems with handling 100 thousands of messages either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ic_launcher.png

FairEmail
    Open source, privacy friendly email app for Android

banner7_long.png

See here for a description:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/

See here for screenshots:
    https://email.faircode.eu/#screenshots

Downloads:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email#user-content-downloads

Frequently asked questions:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/blob/master/FAQ.md

Please read this before requesting a new feature:
    https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/FAQ.md#user-content-get-support

This XDA thread is about using the latest version of FairEmail.

For support on authorizing an account, you should consult the documentation of your provider, see also here.

Off-topic comments are allowed as long they are related to FairEmail and are in the general interest of the followers of this thread.

Discussion of purchases is not allowed here, please contact me via here instead.
    How was the call with Google today, Marcel?

Google was pretty friendly and cooperative and told me the favicons are indeed the problem, and it can/should be fixed by updating in the privacy policy to "disclose how your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares user data":

Privacy Policy​

All apps must post a privacy policy in both the designated field in Play Console and within the app itself. The privacy policy must, together with any in-app disclosures, comprehensively disclose how your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares user data, not limited by the data disclosed in the Data Safety section. This must include:
    • developer information and a privacy point of contact or a mechanism to submit inquiries
    • disclosing the types of personal and sensitive user data your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares; and any parties with which any personal or sensitive user data is shared
    • secure data handling procedures for personal and sensitive user data
    • the developer’s data retention and deletion policy
    • clear labeling as a privacy policy (e.g., listed as “privacy policy” in title)
    The entity (e.g., developer, company) named in the app’s Google Play listing must appear in the privacy policy or the app must be named in the privacy policy. Apps that do not access any personal and sensitive user data must still submit a privacy policy.

Please make sure your privacy policy is available on an active URL (no PDFs) and is non-editable.

So, I have updated the privacy policy and added this new table:

https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/PRIVACY.md#summary-of-shared-data

I am not sure if it covers everything, so feedback is more than welcome. @mkasimd maybe you can take a look?

Note that I have also enabled BIMI, Gravatars, Libravatars and favicons for the Play store version again.

The short term goal is to release a Play store test version (and associated GitHub version) and to get the update approved. I will think about the next steps after this has been accomplished. Given the huge number of supportive messages I received (much appreciated!) the project will be continued in some form in any case.
    Version 1.1900 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval (which is the main goal of this release).

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/releases

My girlfriend is slowly recovering too :)
    It is time for a new, modern, open source, privacy friendly email client for Android.

I have just released a first alpha version for feedback on the design and features.

Not for production use yet!

Most of the stuff basically works, but be prepared for crashes and error notifications.

Safe email is a working name, but it is for several reasons not a convenient name, so suggestions for a name are welcome.
    I have just released alpha version 0.15

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/releases

With a bit of luck the next version can be a beta version.

I am putting a lot of effort into this project, so thanks are appreciated.