[CLOSED][APP][5.0+] FairEmail - Fully featured, open source, privacy oriented email app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread
Jun 15, 2021
The downloading icon is a good sign the right things are happening. Just be patient, especially with a Gmail account.
Alright, so as long as the "downloading" icon was shown, the messages were being downloaded, which led to the lag. However, once it got to 8,250 out of 12,391 emails downloaded, it stopped, and I can't get it started again. It shows the "connected" icon next to Inbox, and it receives new messages just fine, but force syncs won't bring back the "downloading" icon and the downloading of the old emails.

Any idea why this could happen?

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Alright, so as long as the "downloading" icon was shown, the messages were being downloaded, which led to the lag. However, once it got to 8,250 out of 12,391 emails downloaded, it stopped, and I can't get it started again. It shows the "connected" icon next to Inbox, and it receives new messages just fine, but force syncs won't bring back the "downloading" icon and the downloading of the old emails.

Any idea why this could happen?
Please enable debug logging in the miscellaneous settings (not debug mode) and make sure protocol logging is disabled. Wait 25 seconds and use synchronize now for one folder (else there will be too much logging). Wait 10 seconds, not more, and send me the debug info again.

Jun 15, 2021
For anyone wondering, the solution is that neither "synchronize now" in a folder's context menu nor "force sync" in the 3-dot menu of FairEmail download old emails. Marcel said he'll fix this in the next release, but for now, just use "Fetch Messages" from the start menu, which will download all emails.

Reactions: fraschi51

jmh2002

Jun 1, 2016
NZL, POL, UKR
Thanks for the great app, it's really matured a lot over the years.

Just a quick question, is it ok to install the GitHub version over the Play Store version?

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
For anyone wondering, the solution is that neither "synchronize now" in a folder's context menu nor "force sync" in the 3-dot menu of FairEmail download old emails. Marcel said he'll fix this in the next release, but for now, just use "Fetch Messages" from the start menu, which will download all emails.
I think this needs to be done explicitly to not surprise people with a high data usage. So, 'Synchronize now' will be unchanged and 'Fetch more messages' should be used instead.

Reactions: avalx

carpler

Jan 26, 2011
I am continuing my tests with FairEmail.

1) I added a second account to the app and had a little trouble understanding how the program handles the two emails.
First of all, I don't like the unified box.
I have been using different mailboxes for many time and I manage different things with each one: I don't like finding things mixed up.
I tried looking in the settings if it is possible to disable that feature, especially in the side menu.
1623862505310.png

What I would like (and I don't know if it is possible to do or not) is that the list of folders that appears in the side menu refers to the account selected at that moment.
I know that I am very "traditionalist", but in fact I would like to find something similar to the usual tree management of the various mail accounts, present in almost all the clients I have used.

2) A strange behavior that I have detected is this.
When I open FairEmail from a notification, the corresponding email is displayed.
When you press the Back button the "Start Screen" is shown (by default it is Unified inbox).
Is it possible to set the app to go directly to the Inbox folder of the "current" account pressing the back button?

3) Lastly.
If you click on an account in the side menu, the folder list opens.
Is it possible to make the Inbox folder open immediately instead?

Thanks for your attention!

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I am continuing my tests with FairEmail.

1) I added a second account to the app and had a little trouble understanding how the program handles the two emails.
First of all, I don't like the unified box.
I have been using different mailboxes for many time and I manage different things with each one: I don't like finding things mixed up.
I tried looking in the settings if it is possible to disable that feature, especially in the side menu.
View attachment 5339957
What I would like (and I don't know if it is possible to do or not) is that the list of folders that appears in the side menu refers to the account selected at that moment.
I know that I am very "traditionalist", but in fact I would like to find something similar to the usual tree management of the various mail accounts, present in almost all the clients I have used.

2) A strange behavior that I have detected is this.
When I open FairEmail from a notification, the corresponding email is displayed.
When you press the Back button the "Start Screen" is shown (by default it is Unified inbox).
Is it possible to set the app to go directly to the Inbox folder of the "current" account pressing the back button?

3) Lastly.
If you click on an account in the side menu, the folder list opens.
Is it possible to make the Inbox folder open immediately instead?

Thanks for your attention!
Try to set the start screen to accounts or folders in the display settings.

Showing the folder list in the navigation menu isn't an option. Some apps try this, but fail hopelessly when there are thousands of folders with dozens of levels, which is not an unusual situation in a business environment. Mostly, only a few folders are interesting. You can add a quick link to any folder to the navigation menu by long pressing it in the folder list. You can simply collapse the unified system folders section.

A conversation is bound to an account only, not a specific folder. New message notifications aren't limited to the inbox only either. The only option would be to put the folder list between the start screen and the conversation, but I am pretty sure most people would hate this.

Reactions: mrrocketdog

Dark_Eyes_

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Sep 19, 2013
Version 1.1615 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:
https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/releases

The raw message viewer uses cards now and will show the message structure at the end.

In the search dialog you can disable searching in the trash and spam folders when searching on the device.
Hey Marcel, I love the new feature to exclude spam or trash when searching everywhere on the device. Can this be added when searching on a specific account?

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Reactions: Dark_Eyes_

Dark_Eyes_

Sep 19, 2013
@M66B, I think I found a bug. I was stress-testing the new search feature, and let's say I search in a specific account excluding trash, if I go back using the back arrow, search again but this time including trash, the results aren't showing the messages in trash. If I go back to unified inbox, then back to the specific account and redo the exact same search, the messages in trash show. Can you reproduce this?

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
@M66B, I think I found a bug. I was stress-testing the new search feature, and let's say I search in a specific account excluding trash, if I go back using the back arrow, search again but this time including trash, the results aren't showing the messages in trash. If I go back to unified inbox, then back to the specific account and redo the exact same search, the messages in trash show. Can you reproduce this?
Can you please check if this commit fixes the problem?

Reactions: Dark_Eyes_

Dark_Eyes_

Sep 19, 2013
Reactions: M66B
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ic_launcher.png

FairEmail
    Open source, privacy friendly email app for Android

banner7_long.png

See here for a description:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/

See here for screenshots:
    https://email.faircode.eu/#screenshots

Downloads:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email#user-content-downloads

Frequently asked questions:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/blob/master/FAQ.md

Please read this before requesting a new feature:
    https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/FAQ.md#user-content-get-support

This XDA thread is about using the latest version of FairEmail.

For support on authorizing an account, you should consult the documentation of your provider, see also here.

Off-topic comments are allowed as long they are related to FairEmail and are in the general interest of the followers of this thread.

Discussion of purchases is not allowed here, please contact me via here instead.
    How was the call with Google today, Marcel?

Google was pretty friendly and cooperative and told me the favicons are indeed the problem, and it can/should be fixed by updating in the privacy policy to "disclose how your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares user data":

Privacy Policy​

All apps must post a privacy policy in both the designated field in Play Console and within the app itself. The privacy policy must, together with any in-app disclosures, comprehensively disclose how your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares user data, not limited by the data disclosed in the Data Safety section. This must include:
    • developer information and a privacy point of contact or a mechanism to submit inquiries
    • disclosing the types of personal and sensitive user data your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares; and any parties with which any personal or sensitive user data is shared
    • secure data handling procedures for personal and sensitive user data
    • the developer’s data retention and deletion policy
    • clear labeling as a privacy policy (e.g., listed as “privacy policy” in title)
    The entity (e.g., developer, company) named in the app’s Google Play listing must appear in the privacy policy or the app must be named in the privacy policy. Apps that do not access any personal and sensitive user data must still submit a privacy policy.

Please make sure your privacy policy is available on an active URL (no PDFs) and is non-editable.

So, I have updated the privacy policy and added this new table:

https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/PRIVACY.md#summary-of-shared-data

I am not sure if it covers everything, so feedback is more than welcome. @mkasimd maybe you can take a look?

Note that I have also enabled BIMI, Gravatars, Libravatars and favicons for the Play store version again.

The short term goal is to release a Play store test version (and associated GitHub version) and to get the update approved. I will think about the next steps after this has been accomplished. Given the huge number of supportive messages I received (much appreciated!) the project will be continued in some form in any case.
    Version 1.1900 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval (which is the main goal of this release).

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/releases

My girlfriend is slowly recovering too :)
    It is time for a new, modern, open source, privacy friendly email client for Android.

I have just released a first alpha version for feedback on the design and features.

Not for production use yet!

Most of the stuff basically works, but be prepared for crashes and error notifications.

Safe email is a working name, but it is for several reasons not a convenient name, so suggestions for a name are welcome.
    I have just released alpha version 0.15

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/releases

With a bit of luck the next version can be a beta version.

I am putting a lot of effort into this project, so thanks are appreciated.