[CLOSED][APP][5.0+] FairEmail - Fully featured, open source, privacy oriented email app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Thanks for the response. Just to be clear, my post was less a call for synchronization functionality, more an effort to understand how you intend the feature to be used across multiple devices in its current form.
Without something between the devices (a "cloud" or server, etc), data can't be easily and securely be shared between devices.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
@Android.Addiction to quickly switch between folders for the primary account you can tap on the folder icon in the top action bar.

If you long press it, you can select the account first.

You can set an account primary by long pressing it in the list of accounts (via manual setup in the main setup screen).

Does this help?

Reactions: fraschi51

Android.Addiction

Oct 4, 2012
Without something between the devices (a "cloud" or server, etc), data can't be easily and securely be shared between devices.
What I mean is, for example, should I have both my tablet and phone with message classification enabled for the same folder? Or just one device? Like if I had it enabled just on my phone: when I do things on my tablet, my phone will eventually sync those changes, so wouldn't FairEmail seeing items move in/out of that folder (even if it happened on another device) still help "educate" the AI? Or does it require explicit user action on the device itself?
@Android.Addiction to quickly switch between folders for the primary account you can tap on the folder icon in the top action bar.

If you long press it, you can select the account first.

You can set an account primary by long pressing it in the list of accounts (via manual setup in the main setup screen).

Does this help?
I typically use this menu to edit folder settings. I assumed that was the purpose of it, since you can also switch folders in the hamburger menu. What was your original design intent for both of them?
Version 1.1678 is available on GitHub now.

Changelog/download:
https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/releases

@Android.Addiction there are display options for a fixed navigation menu and two columns in portrait mode now.
Wow you are really amazing. Here I was thinking the pro version was a little pricy, now I think you aren't getting paid enough :)

Just so I'm clear, does the fixed navigation menu in portrait also hide the text? I'm assuming it does, since with text otherwise it would not fit the screen size for most phones, I'm guessing.

Thanks again you've been fantastic and extremely helpful!!

Reactions: nadir husain

Magister81

Jul 5, 2018
lachende-smilies-0101.gif

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
What I mean is, for example, should I have both my tablet and phone with message classification enabled for the same folder? Or just one device? Like if I had it enabled just on my phone: when I do things on my tablet, my phone will eventually sync those changes, so wouldn't FairEmail seeing items move in/out of that folder (even if it happened on another device) still help "educate" the AI? Or does it require explicit user action on the device itself?

I typically use this menu to edit folder settings. I assumed that was the purpose of it, since you can also switch folders in the hamburger menu. What was your original design intent for both of them?

Wow you are really amazing. Here I was thinking the pro version was a little pricy, now I think you aren't getting paid enough :)

Just so I'm clear, does the fixed navigation menu in portrait also hide the text? I'm assuming it does, since with text otherwise it would not fit the screen size for most phones, I'm guessing.

Thanks again you've been fantastic and extremely helpful!!
Only actively moving on the device will train the message classifier. However, only one device needs to be trained to move messages because the message will be moved on the email server too.

The folder list is there is to select a folder and view the messages in the folder.

The fixed navigation menu doesn't hide texts, icons and numbers because the result would be ambiguous.

topcaser

Dec 17, 2005
The sliding navigation menu doesn't overlay any more but the message pane is compressed now. This looks and is strange in my opinion. I can't read anything in the message pane. It's useless and looks (again) strange. Could you please revert back?

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
The sliding navigation menu doesn't overlay any more but the message pane is compressed now. This looks and is strange in my opinion. I can't read anything in the message pane. It's useless and looks (again) strange. Could you please revert back?
Is this in portrait or landscape mode? Did you enable two column mode?

topcaser

Dec 17, 2005
And a further strange thing (maybe an unwanted behavior, nonetheless to say bug):
If one slide out the navigation pane and tab into an email the back arrow on the top left corner switches back to the message list instead sliding back the navigation menu. One have to tab twice. Very strange and odd behavior

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
And a further strange thing (maybe an unwanted behavior, nonetheless to say bug):
If one slide out the navigation pane and tab into an email the back arrow on the top left corner switches back to the message list instead sliding back the navigation menu. One have to tab twice. Very strange and odd behavior
With the fixed navigation menu (did you enabled) that, this is the expected behavior.

topcaser

Dec 17, 2005
It's even worse. After starting fairemail, the app starts with two columns although (I double checked) it's deactivated
IMG_20210810_194113.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ic_launcher.png

FairEmail
    Open source, privacy friendly email app for Android

banner7_long.png

See here for a description:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/

See here for screenshots:
    https://email.faircode.eu/#screenshots

Downloads:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email#user-content-downloads

Frequently asked questions:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/blob/master/FAQ.md

Please read this before requesting a new feature:
    https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/FAQ.md#user-content-get-support

This XDA thread is about using the latest version of FairEmail.

For support on authorizing an account, you should consult the documentation of your provider, see also here.

Off-topic comments are allowed as long they are related to FairEmail and are in the general interest of the followers of this thread.

Discussion of purchases is not allowed here, please contact me via here instead.
    How was the call with Google today, Marcel?

Google was pretty friendly and cooperative and told me the favicons are indeed the problem, and it can/should be fixed by updating in the privacy policy to "disclose how your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares user data":

Privacy Policy​

All apps must post a privacy policy in both the designated field in Play Console and within the app itself. The privacy policy must, together with any in-app disclosures, comprehensively disclose how your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares user data, not limited by the data disclosed in the Data Safety section. This must include:
    • developer information and a privacy point of contact or a mechanism to submit inquiries
    • disclosing the types of personal and sensitive user data your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares; and any parties with which any personal or sensitive user data is shared
    • secure data handling procedures for personal and sensitive user data
    • the developer’s data retention and deletion policy
    • clear labeling as a privacy policy (e.g., listed as “privacy policy” in title)
    The entity (e.g., developer, company) named in the app’s Google Play listing must appear in the privacy policy or the app must be named in the privacy policy. Apps that do not access any personal and sensitive user data must still submit a privacy policy.

Please make sure your privacy policy is available on an active URL (no PDFs) and is non-editable.

So, I have updated the privacy policy and added this new table:

https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/PRIVACY.md#summary-of-shared-data

I am not sure if it covers everything, so feedback is more than welcome. @mkasimd maybe you can take a look?

Note that I have also enabled BIMI, Gravatars, Libravatars and favicons for the Play store version again.

The short term goal is to release a Play store test version (and associated GitHub version) and to get the update approved. I will think about the next steps after this has been accomplished. Given the huge number of supportive messages I received (much appreciated!) the project will be continued in some form in any case.
    Version 1.1900 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval (which is the main goal of this release).

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/releases

My girlfriend is slowly recovering too :)
    It is time for a new, modern, open source, privacy friendly email client for Android.

I have just released a first alpha version for feedback on the design and features.

Not for production use yet!

Most of the stuff basically works, but be prepared for crashes and error notifications.

Safe email is a working name, but it is for several reasons not a convenient name, so suggestions for a name are welcome.
    I have just released alpha version 0.15

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/releases

With a bit of luck the next version can be a beta version.

I am putting a lot of effort into this project, so thanks are appreciated.