[CLOSED][APP][5.0+] FairEmail - Fully featured, open source, privacy oriented email app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

heinhuiz

Nov 26, 2011
Xiaomi Mi A1
Redmi K20 / Xiaomi Mi 9T
@M66B Marcel, when I press the dustbin icon in the unified spam folder, it generates a purge command for all junk folders - even if I don't have a (suitable) Internet connection at that time. That means that as soon as FE comes online again, all junk folders are emptied, even though I might not have been able to see their actual contents again. Shouldn't there be a warning that mail can get lost that way, or maybe should the dustbin button be disabled when there is no active connection?

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
@M66B Marcel, when I press the dustbin icon in the unified spam folder, it generates a purge command for all junk folders - even if I don't have a (suitable) Internet connection at that time. That means that as soon as FE comes online again, all junk folders are emptied, even though I might not have been able to see their actual contents again. Shouldn't there be a warning that mail can get lost that way, or maybe should the dustbin button be disabled when there is no active connection?
IMHO there is a pretty clear warning you need to confirm.

lordearl

Oct 26, 2020
OPPO Find X5 Pro
The list with share targets is compiled by Android based on the capabilities listed in the app manifest. In other words, you'll need to contact the author of the app for this.
I'm not entirely convinced - sometimes TASKS shows in the share list, and other times it does not. I've just tested it on half a dozen different emails and it only appears sporadically, does anyone else have this issue?

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I'm not entirely convinced - sometimes TASKS shows in the share list, and other times it does not. I've just tested it on half a dozen different emails and it only appears sporadically, does anyone else have this issue?
Android builds the list with share targets. Apps only share content with a type and do not have control over the provided list.

Note that recent Android versions use an "AI" for this for the better or the worse.

lordearl

Oct 26, 2020
OPPO Find X5 Pro
Just attaching some examples here, the list of apps that can be shared is different from email to email. As attached in the first image, TASKS is the default but doesn't even appear as an option in the second image.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210922-233849226.jpg
    Screenshot_20210922-233849226.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20210922-233710778.jpg
    Screenshot_20210922-233710778.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 17

jmh2002

Jun 1, 2016
NZL, POL, UKR
Android builds the list with share targets. Apps only share content with a type and do not have control over the provided list.

Note that recent Android versions use an "AI" for this for the better or the worse.

Yes, drives me nuts sometimes...

A solution for other users discussing this topic might be to use a 3rd party share sheet?
If I remember correctly some of those have the option to set favourites / sticky particular apps in the share sheet.

Maybe it can be helpful.

(check the privacy issues with such 3rd party apps if that is a concern)

lordearl

Oct 26, 2020
OPPO Find X5 Pro
I'm using Tasks.org app - NOT Open Tasks and I see it in the 'share' options. Maybe try with that?
Confirm I've tried with both of the Tasks apps and the issue is replicated, in some cases it's in the share list and in other cases it isn't. There must be some cause (ie. Certain senders, or if marked unread before trying to share, but I can't seem to work out the pattern yet). I've never seen a problem like this from within a single app, which makes me think it must be related to FairEmail rather than any of the other apps (as per my earlier screenshots the list of apps to share with is sometimes far longer)

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Confirm I've tried with both of the Tasks apps and the issue is replicated, in some cases it's in the share list and in other cases it isn't. There must be some cause (ie. Certain senders, or if marked unread before trying to share, but I can't seem to work out the pattern yet). I've never seen a problem like this from within a single app, which makes me think it must be related to FairEmail rather than any of the other apps (as per my earlier screenshots the list of apps to share with is sometimes far longer)
The app will share the content always in the same way:

Edit: there is a small difference when sharing multiple files (attachments).

lordearl

Oct 26, 2020
OPPO Find X5 Pro
The app will share the content always in the same way:

Edit: there is a small difference when sharing multiple files (attachments).
I've just given evidence that this is not true - as we are typing this I am cycling between emails and sometimes it shares through a large list of apps options and other times a much shorter list. It seems to be whether the email was received today (longer list) or yesterday (shorter list). Can anyone else test the share button to see if the list of apps options is inconsistent?

I've sent a few emails to myself to test and the share options always include the Tasks (+ other more comprehensive options) if I tap share on those, but with older emails the option simply isn't there.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I've just given evidence that this is not true - as we are typing this I am cycling between emails and sometimes it shares through a large list of apps options and other times a much shorter list. It seems to be whether the email was received today (longer list) or yesterday (shorter list). Can anyone else test the share button to see if the list of apps options is inconsistent?

I've sent a few emails to myself to test and the share options always include the Tasks (+ other more comprehensive options) if I tap share on those, but with older emails the option simply isn't there.
You can check the source code yourself. There is nothing about the age of the message, etc.

lordearl

Oct 26, 2020
OPPO Find X5 Pro
You can check the source code yourself. There is nothing about the age of the message, etc.
I'm not doubting your code, it's probably perfect but I bet it's some sort of android issue. I just did a survey of 20 emails, 4 of them went with the preferred sharing choice of auto sharing to Tasks, the other 16 just opened the shorter list of app options which didn't include Tasks (or quite a few other apps).

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I'm not doubting your code, it's probably perfect but I bet it's some sort of android issue. I just did a survey of 20 emails, 4 of them went with the preferred sharing choice of auto sharing to Tasks, the other 16 just opened the shorter list of app options which didn't include Tasks (or quite a few other apps).
I will add some extra logging tomorrow, so we can check what is being shared exactly. Please use 'Report issue' in the navigation menu to contact me for a test version. Please reference this discussion and include your XDA username.

Reactions: lordearl
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ic_launcher.png

FairEmail
    Open source, privacy friendly email app for Android

banner7_long.png

See here for a description:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/

See here for screenshots:
    https://email.faircode.eu/#screenshots

Downloads:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email#user-content-downloads

Frequently asked questions:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/blob/master/FAQ.md

Please read this before requesting a new feature:
    https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/FAQ.md#user-content-get-support

This XDA thread is about using the latest version of FairEmail.

For support on authorizing an account, you should consult the documentation of your provider, see also here.

Off-topic comments are allowed as long they are related to FairEmail and are in the general interest of the followers of this thread.

Discussion of purchases is not allowed here, please contact me via here instead.
    How was the call with Google today, Marcel?

Google was pretty friendly and cooperative and told me the favicons are indeed the problem, and it can/should be fixed by updating in the privacy policy to "disclose how your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares user data":

Privacy Policy​

All apps must post a privacy policy in both the designated field in Play Console and within the app itself. The privacy policy must, together with any in-app disclosures, comprehensively disclose how your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares user data, not limited by the data disclosed in the Data Safety section. This must include:
    • developer information and a privacy point of contact or a mechanism to submit inquiries
    • disclosing the types of personal and sensitive user data your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares; and any parties with which any personal or sensitive user data is shared
    • secure data handling procedures for personal and sensitive user data
    • the developer’s data retention and deletion policy
    • clear labeling as a privacy policy (e.g., listed as “privacy policy” in title)
    The entity (e.g., developer, company) named in the app’s Google Play listing must appear in the privacy policy or the app must be named in the privacy policy. Apps that do not access any personal and sensitive user data must still submit a privacy policy.

Please make sure your privacy policy is available on an active URL (no PDFs) and is non-editable.

So, I have updated the privacy policy and added this new table:

https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/PRIVACY.md#summary-of-shared-data

I am not sure if it covers everything, so feedback is more than welcome. @mkasimd maybe you can take a look?

Note that I have also enabled BIMI, Gravatars, Libravatars and favicons for the Play store version again.

The short term goal is to release a Play store test version (and associated GitHub version) and to get the update approved. I will think about the next steps after this has been accomplished. Given the huge number of supportive messages I received (much appreciated!) the project will be continued in some form in any case.
    Version 1.1900 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval (which is the main goal of this release).

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/releases

My girlfriend is slowly recovering too :)
    It is time for a new, modern, open source, privacy friendly email client for Android.

I have just released a first alpha version for feedback on the design and features.

Not for production use yet!

Most of the stuff basically works, but be prepared for crashes and error notifications.

Safe email is a working name, but it is for several reasons not a convenient name, so suggestions for a name are welcome.
    I have just released alpha version 0.15

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/releases

With a bit of luck the next version can be a beta version.

I am putting a lot of effort into this project, so thanks are appreciated.