[CLOSED][APP][5.0+] FairEmail - Fully featured, open source, privacy oriented email app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

David B-E

May 13, 2021
Ah, not just me having FairEmail failing to authenticate an outlook.com email account today, then.

While Thunderbird is not having this problem today, TbSync in Thunderbird has had most of one day a week for the last month or so when it failed to authenticate with my outlook.com address book and calendars. Has cleared up over night each time, and I've always assumed some Microsoft mess up, not the software. I'm presuming the same will be the case with FairEmail and the mailbox authentication.

lpedia

Sep 18, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
HTC 10
Ah, not just me having FairEmail failing to authenticate an outlook.com email account today, then.

While Thunderbird is not having this problem today, TbSync in Thunderbird has had most of one day a week for the last month or so when it failed to authenticate with my outlook.com address book and calendars. Has cleared up over night each time, and I've always assumed some Microsoft mess up, not the software. I'm presuming the same will be the case with FairEmail and the mailbox authentication.
I managed to get both Aqua Mail and FairEmail talking to my Outlook mailbox by removing the original account setting, setting up an account of type 'Other provider' and entering an *app password instead of the real account password. It didn't work if I tried to add the account as type Outlook/Office 365.

* In an Outlook.com account, you can generate app passwords if you have 2FA turned on. You need to generate a different one for each app.

Reactions: nadir husain

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Hi,
I have a question related to the new feature saved search. I want to save a search for a string and a star. But as soon as I click on star the search takes place with omitting the string. As a third parameter I want to save into the search that fairmail shall search on the server.
This isn't currently possible as well. Any plans to make it more convenient?
Tap on 'More options' and enable to search for starred messages there.

Reactions: topcaser

topcaser

Dec 17, 2005
Tap on 'More options' and enable to search for starred messages there.
Screenshot_2021-09-25-06-41-59-73_208213728eb6a732b32bf625e881f060.jpg
Hi Marcel, I can't find auch an option. Could you give me more directions to use star and text at the same time?

topcaser

Dec 17, 2005
Marcel, I double checked the play store for new reviews and there is not a single one complaining about MS bug. It was the German Playstore BTW. Imo that's a good sign

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Marcel, I double checked the play store for new reviews and there is not a single one complaining about MS bug. It was the German Playstore BTW. Imo that's a good sign
There were enough bad reviews about this :-(

I guess it helped to remove the app from the Play store.

If this problem doesn't get solved, I will be force to stop with the project.

deechte

Feb 1, 2007
Soest
OnePlus 7T Pro
OnePlus 11
I've said it before, but you really need to grow a thicker skin. Get some professional help to structurally boost you self confidence and to be able to let negativity from others wash away easily. I mean this in a positive way, there are courses for this. I could even recommend some, being from NL like you.

Because every time there's a couple of negative reviews you come wining in here. And each time you make the thread that you'll have to stop the project. Do you realize that the actual people following this thread are by definition not the 1-star raters you complain about? No one here is part of the problem. Do you realize that your repetitive threads to stop the project only reach an audience that loves it, and thus only hurt your actual supporters?

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I've said it before, but you really need to grow a thicker skin. Get some professional help to structurally boost you self confidence and to be able to let negativity from others wash away easily. I mean this in a positive way, there are courses for this. I could even recommend some, being from NL like you.

Because every time there's a couple of negative reviews you come wining in here. And each time you make the thread that you'll have to stop the project. Do you realize that the actual people following this thread are by definition not the 1-star raters you complain about? No one here is part of the problem. Do you realize that your repetitive threads to stop the project only reach an audience that loves it, and thus only hurt your actual supporters?
Try to imagine a complaint about every three minutes. A thick skin won't help here :-(

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Since I don't like loose ends, I have finished implementing saved searches. Therefore version 1.1734 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store for existing users after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:
https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/releases

Saving searches have been moved from the search dialog to the top action bar of the search results. If you used a saved search, there will be a delete instead of a save icon button. There is a new dialog asking for the name and color to display in the navigation menu as well.

@topcaser

Last edited:

heinhuiz

Nov 26, 2011
Xiaomi Mi A1
Redmi K20 / Xiaomi Mi 9T
@M66B: Note that there's a newly-reported MS security issue with AutoDiscover. See, eg https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...odiscover-bugs-leak-100k-windows-credentials/. If the flood of complaints about Outlook authentication failure began only in the last day or so, this might be the reason.

MS has definitely done something in the last day that breaks IMAP access to Microsoft 365 mailboxes. FairEmail and Aqua Mail Pro (on different devices) began reporting authentication failures for the same MS 365 account starting about 24 hours ago. Both had been working fine before that.

This morning I tried to add the same account to two other email apps, and they can't connect, either. I tried a different MS account with similar results. The accounts are fine; Outlook / web browser on a Windows PC are not having any trouble accessing them, but those are not using IMAP.
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-rushes-to-register-autodiscover-domains-leaking-credentials/ suggests that email clients need to be adapted to address this vulnerability.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I am depressed and I am afraid that will go away only after letting this project go.

• Sad
Reactions: O_DoC

deechte

Feb 1, 2007
Soest
OnePlus 7T Pro
OnePlus 11
Try to imagine a complaint about every three minutes. A thick skin won't help here :-(
Oh really it will. It's entirely your (subconscious) decision how much you'll let things affect you. You can learn to change how that internal mechanism works. Don't you know people around you or public figures who are able to let any criticism just slide of them? That's not something you have to be born with, it can be learned. But it starts by you being willing to change that and not accepting being a victim anymore of anyone or anything.

Reactions: fraschi51

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Oh really it will. It's entirely your (subconscious) decision how much you'll let things affect you. You can learn to change how that internal mechanism works. Don't you know people around you or public figures who are able to let any criticism just slide of them? That's not something you have to be born with, it can be learned. But it starts by you being willing to change that and not accepting being a victim anymore of anyone or anything.
Like I have said before, dedication and distance don't go very well together. I don't depend on the project for anything, so I can easily take distance and let it go, but wouldn't that be a waste? It is just a choice, of which I have made countless in my life (I am 55 years young).

Reactions: avalx
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ic_launcher.png

FairEmail
    Open source, privacy friendly email app for Android

banner7_long.png

See here for a description:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/

See here for screenshots:
    https://email.faircode.eu/#screenshots

Downloads:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email#user-content-downloads

Frequently asked questions:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/blob/master/FAQ.md

Please read this before requesting a new feature:
    https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/FAQ.md#user-content-get-support

This XDA thread is about using the latest version of FairEmail.

For support on authorizing an account, you should consult the documentation of your provider, see also here.

Off-topic comments are allowed as long they are related to FairEmail and are in the general interest of the followers of this thread.

Discussion of purchases is not allowed here, please contact me via here instead.
    How was the call with Google today, Marcel?

Google was pretty friendly and cooperative and told me the favicons are indeed the problem, and it can/should be fixed by updating in the privacy policy to "disclose how your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares user data":

Privacy Policy​

All apps must post a privacy policy in both the designated field in Play Console and within the app itself. The privacy policy must, together with any in-app disclosures, comprehensively disclose how your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares user data, not limited by the data disclosed in the Data Safety section. This must include:
    • developer information and a privacy point of contact or a mechanism to submit inquiries
    • disclosing the types of personal and sensitive user data your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares; and any parties with which any personal or sensitive user data is shared
    • secure data handling procedures for personal and sensitive user data
    • the developer’s data retention and deletion policy
    • clear labeling as a privacy policy (e.g., listed as “privacy policy” in title)
    The entity (e.g., developer, company) named in the app’s Google Play listing must appear in the privacy policy or the app must be named in the privacy policy. Apps that do not access any personal and sensitive user data must still submit a privacy policy.

Please make sure your privacy policy is available on an active URL (no PDFs) and is non-editable.

So, I have updated the privacy policy and added this new table:

https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/PRIVACY.md#summary-of-shared-data

I am not sure if it covers everything, so feedback is more than welcome. @mkasimd maybe you can take a look?

Note that I have also enabled BIMI, Gravatars, Libravatars and favicons for the Play store version again.

The short term goal is to release a Play store test version (and associated GitHub version) and to get the update approved. I will think about the next steps after this has been accomplished. Given the huge number of supportive messages I received (much appreciated!) the project will be continued in some form in any case.
    Version 1.1900 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval (which is the main goal of this release).

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/releases

My girlfriend is slowly recovering too :)
    It is time for a new, modern, open source, privacy friendly email client for Android.

I have just released a first alpha version for feedback on the design and features.

Not for production use yet!

Most of the stuff basically works, but be prepared for crashes and error notifications.

Safe email is a working name, but it is for several reasons not a convenient name, so suggestions for a name are welcome.
    I have just released alpha version 0.15

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/releases

With a bit of luck the next version can be a beta version.

I am putting a lot of effort into this project, so thanks are appreciated.