[CLOSED][APP][5.0+] FairEmail - Fully featured, open source, privacy oriented email app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

chris122380

Sep 29, 2010
chris122380.x10.mx
I am so sad and upset with Google by this news. I purchased Fairemail so I can use the email app I love and enjoy using, rather than to be told by Google I can't use something. It's also the only email app that I haven't had issues with syncing after upgrading to Android 12. The Android 12 problem is probably a Google problem but Fairemail just works. I did send a few emails but the support was fantastic. No other paid product I have purchased from the Play store could compete with that kind of support. No other paid or free product (for that matter) has a well a written help pages and documentation as did Marcel with the GitHub documentation. Any other programmer in here could learn from Marcel's help documents. It is the only open source email program I would trust and now I'm not even sure where I would go if I have to migrate to a different email app 😢
FYI - I first heard about this from a tweet by @ghacks. My first response was to be angry with Google. I cried I was so mad.

nadir husain

Aug 31, 2019
@chris122380 you came from AquaMail I presume since I have seen your posts on the forum. Well do did I! Since yesterday's announcement by Marcel I downloaded AquaMail again and had it running in parallel with FE . Oh no! I was quickly reminded why I switched to FE in the first place. Aqua isnow in the hands of some junior developers( Mobisystems has also dumped it) and they do their work by trial and error. The point of all this is to once again applaud the work Marcel had done and how tragic it would be to see this great app die a premature death!

chris122380

Sep 29, 2010
chris122380.x10.mx
@chris122380 you came from AquaMail I presume since I have seen your posts on the forum. Well do did I! Since yesterday's announcement by Marcel I downloaded AquaMail again and had it running in parallel with FE . Oh no! I was quickly reminded why I switched to FE in the first place. Aqua isnow in the hands of some junior developers( Mobisystems has also dumped it) and they do their work by trial and error. The point of all this is to once again applaud the work Marcel had done and how tragic it would be to see this great app die a premature death!
Yep, that's me. I pretty much had left Aquamail for Fairemail. It was working fine until most recent updates and then Aquamail broke background sync. I missed a very important email and that's when I decided to dive into Fairemail as my full-time email app and I haven't missed an email sense. The problem with going anywhere else is you'll inherit the exact same problems (bloated, background sync issues, etc). None of these issues exist with Fairemail. Fairemail is also the only email program I know of or could find that supports Tracking protections. It's sad that something unique like this in Fairemail isn't more standard practice but instead you have other email companies that would rather spy on you (but yet they're still allowed in the Google Play store.) So Google will accuse a privacy secure email app for being something it isn't but will allow spyware-based email apps to flourish in the Play store. How the hell does any of that make any sense.

nadir husain

Aug 31, 2019
Yep, that's me. I pretty much had left Aquamail for Fairemail. It was working fine until most recent updates and then Aquamail broke background sync. I missed a very important email and that's when I decided to dive into Fairemail as my full-time email app and I haven't missed an email sense. The problem with going anywhere else is you'll inherit the exact same problems (bloated, background sync issues, etc). None of these issues exist with Fairemail. Fairemail is also the only email program I know of or could find that supports Tracking protections. It's sad that something unique like this in Fairemail isn't more standard practice but instead you have other email companies that would rather spy on you (but yet they're still allowed in the Google Play store.) So Google will accuse a privacy secure email app for being something it isn't but will allow spyware-based email apps to flourish in the Play store. How the hell does any of that make any sense.
Well said! Whatever is happening with FE is nothing short of tragic and the result of an arrogant and haughty tech company. Hope this issue resolves for the sake of all us users and for the sake of Marcel who will get some happiness out if all the effort he has put in.

YF000

Mar 17, 2019
Sad to see the author (M66B) seem to be defeated by hard life, review pressure and Google policies.

I've been using the app for a few years, admiring its design and philosophy, and contributing its localization, as well as some communication to M66B. In my opinion, the project is amazing, but its development and community maintenance may not be so healthy. While M66B provides as exhaustive FAQs as possible, there doesn't seem to be an active, searchable user discussion community, and users sometimes have to ask the author directly - the author respond quickly, M66B maybe ever enjoy the process, but obviously it also brings great pressure. Even, I first noticed this amazing XDA post, and it doesn't seem to be included anywhere in this project. This also prevented me from sharing opinions or insights about the software, so I was always a user rather than a participant.
In fact, I've also tried reading and refining some code in small amounts and providing it to the author, but the private email exchanges and comments seem less efficient and transparent. This is still a one-person project, although it's open-source code. Other posts have made some suggestions for code structure / community, I hope M66B or anyone can pick it up.

Furthermore, I suggest M66B ignore flippant Play Store reviews as they may not be a user who actually needs it. And build a user community for user support, only provide limited personal support to protect your live. Google Play may be an important source of installation, but for privacy-oriented / loyal users, the third-party sources (GitHub/F-droid/...) may be better or acceptable.
Anyway, thank you for bringing this wonderful software.

Kogam22

Apr 23, 2016
Well, whatever you decide on in the end, thank you for all your efforts. Truly appreciate it.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I like to say something about the code quality because there were some comments about this.

The code quality is far from perfect, but on the other hand the app is pretty stable and functional. I refactored stuff rather often, but if the one man army needs to choose between significant rewrites, likely causing bugs and instability, and fixing a know issue when reformatting lists, what is it gonna be? (One of the few known problems)

Any developer would do things differently when starting over. Also, a project like this isn't only about pure code quality. It isn't a lab, but a real world application.

EngineerMind

May 5, 2007
As soon as I have a good answer to the why and how question. I am not sure if there are good answers to these questions.
I can understand you probably have a lot of different feelings going on right now such as frustration, disappointment, etc.

Maybe just step away and ignore everything app related for a while since it's way too much to deal with everything else going on personally.

Then, maybe down the road, slowly re-engage at a pace that you are comfortable with.

...I would like to make just one request, please leave the forum threads and github open so we can try to keep your products going ourselves in the event you decide not to return to developing.

GTrash81

Jun 6, 2012
Stumbled across this thread from another post.
Oh man, screw you Google and all the haters.
I found FairMail, bought it and use it happily.
Don't follow the comments, so I don't know what
the problems are, but probably they are 1st-World-Premium
problems.

Have a nice day, good luck and let's see how long
Fairmail will work, until Google patches something and
the app breaks....

May 19, 2022
I like many other have registered just now to state how much I appreciate your effort over the years.

I like to say something about the code quality because there were some comments about this.

The code quality is far from perfect, but on the other hand the app is pretty stable and functional. I refactored stuff rather often, but if the one man army needs to choose between significant rewrites, likely causing bugs and instability, and fixing a know issue when reformatting lists, what is it gonna be? (One of the few known problems)

Any developer would do things differently when starting over. Also, a project like this isn't only about pure code quality. It isn't a lab, but a real world application.

Yeah, I also saw this comment on HN and the first thing I thought was that "This person has never maintained a FOSS application"

They can talk about code quality all they like, but I doubt they'll ever have the impact your software has for everyday users; using the latest API's or switching to Kotlin doesn't mean anything to the end user. At the end of the day, the only code that matters are the ones that help people solve problems, and both FairEmail and NetGuard has done that for thousands, if not millions, of users. So even if you don't resume development, thanks so much for what you've done so far.

paul-antoine

Mar 23, 2021
Just found out about what happened with Google and installed FairEmail. I found it so excellent (in fact the best e-mail app I've ever had) that I just purchased it in support, I hope in support others will do that too.
I wish Marcel all the very best and hope he will come back in time to his great project.
With great appreciation.

EngineerMind

May 5, 2007
One thought would be to go into the Play store developer console and to declare that the app is sending/sharing contact list data.
What about this...

Maybe say in the required disclosure "I am required to inform you that Google believes that this app will uploaded your contact list. However, only Google knows where it is being uploaded to because I am the sole developer of this app and I can guarantee you there there is no code in this app that would cause your contact list to be uploaded anywhere. To prove this, you can download the source code and examine it yourself at (github location)."
:giggle:

_mat_

Jun 25, 2013

Even the same developer would do things differently if he would start again :-D If I look over older code of myself, wtf... Even if you are experienced you nevertheless will improve continuosly. Also the languages itself are moving on providing newer, better functions you did not have before. But you won't review your code again and again. Especially when doing it in your free time. So no need to justify in my opinion. You built a great app and the feedback in this thread proves that right ;-)

emacsomancer

Oct 11, 2014
This is extremely upsetting. Not only was I really impressed with the support model of FairEmail (easy to support the developer financially, in a way that encourages but does not compel), but FairEmail is one of the best email interfaces, not only in terms of open-source, or even in terms of Android or even mobile, but just in general.

Glad that I did support this project (and the dev's other projects). Very saddened by what the developer has been going through and the results of that. (Cue "this is why we can't have nice things".)

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I can understand you probably have a lot of different feelings going on right now such as frustration, disappointment, etc.

Maybe just step away and ignore everything app related for a while since it's way too much to deal with everything else going on personally.

Then, maybe down the road, slowly re-engage at a pace that you are comfortable with.

...I would like to make just one request, please leave the forum threads and github open so we can try to keep your products going ourselves in the event you decide not to return to developing.
I mostly feel liberated.

The XDA threads were closed and reopened and the GitHub project were made invisible and restored in archived state and I have no plans to change this.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
What about this...

Maybe say in the required disclosure "I am required to inform you that Google believes that this app will uploaded your contact list. However, only Google knows where it is being uploaded to because I am the sole developer of this app and I can guarantee you there there is no code in this app that would cause your contact list to be uploaded anywhere. To prove this, you can download the source code and examine it yourself at (github location)."
:giggle:
There is no option for explanations like this. Linking to website where you can download the app too means an automatic removal of an app from the Play store within a few days (happened to NetGuard).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ic_launcher.png

FairEmail
    Open source, privacy friendly email app for Android

banner7_long.png

See here for a description:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/

See here for screenshots:
    https://email.faircode.eu/#screenshots

Downloads:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email#user-content-downloads

Frequently asked questions:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/blob/master/FAQ.md

Please read this before requesting a new feature:
    https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/FAQ.md#user-content-get-support

This XDA thread is about using the latest version of FairEmail.

For support on authorizing an account, you should consult the documentation of your provider, see also here.

Off-topic comments are allowed as long they are related to FairEmail and are in the general interest of the followers of this thread.

Discussion of purchases is not allowed here, please contact me via here instead.
    How was the call with Google today, Marcel?

Google was pretty friendly and cooperative and told me the favicons are indeed the problem, and it can/should be fixed by updating in the privacy policy to "disclose how your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares user data":

Privacy Policy​

All apps must post a privacy policy in both the designated field in Play Console and within the app itself. The privacy policy must, together with any in-app disclosures, comprehensively disclose how your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares user data, not limited by the data disclosed in the Data Safety section. This must include:
    • developer information and a privacy point of contact or a mechanism to submit inquiries
    • disclosing the types of personal and sensitive user data your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares; and any parties with which any personal or sensitive user data is shared
    • secure data handling procedures for personal and sensitive user data
    • the developer’s data retention and deletion policy
    • clear labeling as a privacy policy (e.g., listed as “privacy policy” in title)
    The entity (e.g., developer, company) named in the app’s Google Play listing must appear in the privacy policy or the app must be named in the privacy policy. Apps that do not access any personal and sensitive user data must still submit a privacy policy.

Please make sure your privacy policy is available on an active URL (no PDFs) and is non-editable.

So, I have updated the privacy policy and added this new table:

https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/PRIVACY.md#summary-of-shared-data

I am not sure if it covers everything, so feedback is more than welcome. @mkasimd maybe you can take a look?

Note that I have also enabled BIMI, Gravatars, Libravatars and favicons for the Play store version again.

The short term goal is to release a Play store test version (and associated GitHub version) and to get the update approved. I will think about the next steps after this has been accomplished. Given the huge number of supportive messages I received (much appreciated!) the project will be continued in some form in any case.
    Version 1.1900 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval (which is the main goal of this release).

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/releases

My girlfriend is slowly recovering too :)
    It is time for a new, modern, open source, privacy friendly email client for Android.

I have just released a first alpha version for feedback on the design and features.

Not for production use yet!

Most of the stuff basically works, but be prepared for crashes and error notifications.

Safe email is a working name, but it is for several reasons not a convenient name, so suggestions for a name are welcome.
    I have just released alpha version 0.15

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/releases

With a bit of luck the next version can be a beta version.

I am putting a lot of effort into this project, so thanks are appreciated.