[CLOSED][APP][5.0+] FairEmail - Fully featured, open source, privacy oriented email app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Tech Home

Version 1.1900 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval (which is the main goal of this release).

Changelog/download:
https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/releases

My girlfriend is slowly recovering too :)
It makes me really happy that the discussion with Google led to the continuation of the awesome email client! And I'm also glad that your girlfriend is recovering too.
I've really enjoyed these for me rare good news. I can't say more than thanks. It means really much for me. Thanks, thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: M66B
D

Deleted member 12018507

Thank You Marcel for continuation of development! FairEmail is my favorite e-mail client and is the only email app I want to have on my degoogled phone :)
You are awesome!

Reactions: 30jp and M66B

Dakkaron

Jan 13, 2013
Really happy you managed to talk with a real person at Google. That's not something many smaller devs ever manage to do.

I didn't know FairEmail before, but I've been using (and recommending) Netguard for years.

I'll definitly check out FairEmail, though.

Btw, I think it's kinda funny to see how many people seem to think, that a one-time payment of $6 would give them a right to unlimited life-time updates.

Any app can be discontinued at any time (and most will at some time). Unless you have a contract specifying otherwise, that's just how that works.

There is a term for what those guys expect. It's (incredibly cheap) indentured servitude. And luckily, that's illegal.

Last edited:

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Did you specifically ask for a response? They may not even bother replying . Just the fact that they approved the release means you are good to go.
Normally, approving apps is an automated process as far as I know, but in this case I should receive direct feedback from Google's privacy and policy team too.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Version 1.1901 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:

This version fixes all reported bugs and there is a small behavior change: scrolling to the end of a list or message will show the compose or answer button now, without needing to scroll in the other direction again.

Google's privacy and policy team confirmed the approval of the app. For more news, please see here.

Surfinette

May 23, 2010
OnePlus Nord 2 5G
Dear Marcel,

I've only discovered the various drama that have affected both your personal and dev lives because I hadn't been on this forum for months and hadn't updated FE for quite some time (FE is so good and already satisfies my needs well enough that I don't feel the need to upgrade too often). So reading backwards through 40+ pages of this thread was a shock to me.

First, I hope your GF keeps recovering. Life in good health is so precious.

Second, I want to reiterate my strong support to you. FE is by far the best email client out there. I couldn't manage my multiple accounts without it and would be quite desperate/sad should its support end. And you Marcel are the nicest and most dedicated dev I've ever "met" either virtually (through public forums such as XDA) or in person (at my workplace). So, whatever the next steps I want to warmly thank you!

I hope you'll be able to learn how to become insensitive (or less sensitive) to unfair negative comments (this earth is full of as***les and you have no control over this). You should only feed yourself with positive energy received from all the good people who love and respect you and your fantastic work.

You're having a strong positive impact on people: not only the daily happy users of your apps, but also now beyond. Your story has been in the media, and now it's seems that some political parties or lobbies could use your story to encourage the EU increase their support towards independent dev, FOSS, etc...
So now you're reaching a new iconic status, and you'll have to learn to live with it! 😇😉

Sending more positive energy ❤️❤️❤️ from France

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Dear Marcel,

I've only discovered the various drama that have affected both your personal and dev lives because I hadn't been on this forum for months and hadn't updated FE for quite some time (FE is so good and already satisfies my needs well enough that I don't feel the need to upgrade too often). So reading backwards through 40+ pages of this thread was a shock to me.

First, I hope your GF keeps recovering. Life in good health is so precious.

Second, I want to reiterate my strong support to you. FE is by far the best email client out there. I couldn't manage my multiple accounts without it and would be quite desperate/sad should its support end. And you Marcel are the nicest and most dedicated dev I've ever "met" either virtually (through public forums such as XDA) or in person (at my workplace). So, whatever the next steps I want to warmly thank you!

I hope you'll be able to learn how to become insensitive (or less sensitive) to unfair negative comments (this earth is full of as***les and you have no control over this). You should only feed yourself with positive energy received from all the good people who love and respect you and your fantastic work.

You're having a strong positive impact on people: not only the daily happy users of your apps, but also now beyond. Your story has been in the media, and now it's seems that some political parties or lobbies could use your story to encourage the EU increase their support towards independent dev, FOSS, etc...
So now you're reaching a new iconic status, and you'll have to learn to live with it! 😇😉

Sending more positive energy ❤️❤️❤️ from France
Thanks.

My girlfriend is slowly recovering, although frustratingly slow (especially for herself).

I never wanted an "iconic status", and only wanted to help people protect their privacy because in my opinion this was and still is necessary, but I guess it is what it is and that I need to deal with it now. Maybe it helps to increase awareness about privacy matters though, which would be a good side.

I like to thank the many people who have been rather supportive last week. This is the main reason why I am continuing.

Surfinette

May 23, 2010
OnePlus Nord 2 5G
Iconic people don't become icons from their own will, but from their good and impactful actions.

While I've always been privacy aware (but not necessarily obsessed), I learned a lot about privacy and the lack of privacy on the internet just by using FE and reading your well detailed faq. So you made me a better (and maybe smarter) person with regards to privacy and open source topics 😀

And what I've learned from you, I've shared with family and friends, so indeed you're having an impact beyond just your apps. These may be small steps (especially as many people are giving up on privacy), but still positive steps.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
So, how do I deal with reviews like this?
My experience is absolutely awful. 1 star

I would like to have seen a reason and even better being contacted for help, but instead it is just shooting down and not getting any chance.

In any case, this is why I am still a bit hesitant to restore the app in the Play store, which I will do probably anyway, possible at the end of this day or tomorrow morning.

30jp

Sep 25, 2020

I would like to have seen a reason and even better being contacted for help, but instead it is just shooting down and not getting any chance.

In any case, this is why I am still a bit hesitant to restore the app in the Play store, which I will do probably anyway, possible at the end of this day or tomorrow morning.
Ignore.
If they don't say why FairEmail is so bad, just ignore it.
Or give a standard answer along the lines of:
"Dear .... I'm sorry you're not happy with FairEmail, but if you don't explain why FairEmail is so bad, then I can't help you as the developer of the app.
Too bad because I would have loved to do that.
Sincerely"

Stay friendly and keep it short and sweet.
New people who want to use FairEmail and read this think, hey stupid review with friendly helpful response from the developer. I want to try that app.

NorLa

May 20, 2022
M66B said:

My experience is absolutely awful. 1 star

Such reviews without justification are annoying, but you can't really prevent them - don't worry! Only those who take the trouble to get to know FairEmail will realize what a fantastic app it is.

If you want to respond to it at all, it might be like this: "Too bad you're having a problem with FairEmail - please tell me what the problem is, only then can I help you solve it."

Even if you don't get a response to that, others will see that you responded and offered help. Personally, I would be more impressed by such a spontaneous help than by the 1-star rating...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ic_launcher.png

FairEmail
    Open source, privacy friendly email app for Android

banner7_long.png

See here for a description:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/

See here for screenshots:
    https://email.faircode.eu/#screenshots

Downloads:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email#user-content-downloads

Frequently asked questions:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/blob/master/FAQ.md

Please read this before requesting a new feature:
    https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/FAQ.md#user-content-get-support

This XDA thread is about using the latest version of FairEmail.

For support on authorizing an account, you should consult the documentation of your provider, see also here.

Off-topic comments are allowed as long they are related to FairEmail and are in the general interest of the followers of this thread.

Discussion of purchases is not allowed here, please contact me via here instead.
    How was the call with Google today, Marcel?

Google was pretty friendly and cooperative and told me the favicons are indeed the problem, and it can/should be fixed by updating in the privacy policy to "disclose how your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares user data":

Privacy Policy​

All apps must post a privacy policy in both the designated field in Play Console and within the app itself. The privacy policy must, together with any in-app disclosures, comprehensively disclose how your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares user data, not limited by the data disclosed in the Data Safety section. This must include:
    • developer information and a privacy point of contact or a mechanism to submit inquiries
    • disclosing the types of personal and sensitive user data your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares; and any parties with which any personal or sensitive user data is shared
    • secure data handling procedures for personal and sensitive user data
    • the developer’s data retention and deletion policy
    • clear labeling as a privacy policy (e.g., listed as “privacy policy” in title)
    The entity (e.g., developer, company) named in the app’s Google Play listing must appear in the privacy policy or the app must be named in the privacy policy. Apps that do not access any personal and sensitive user data must still submit a privacy policy.

Please make sure your privacy policy is available on an active URL (no PDFs) and is non-editable.

So, I have updated the privacy policy and added this new table:

https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/PRIVACY.md#summary-of-shared-data

I am not sure if it covers everything, so feedback is more than welcome. @mkasimd maybe you can take a look?

Note that I have also enabled BIMI, Gravatars, Libravatars and favicons for the Play store version again.

The short term goal is to release a Play store test version (and associated GitHub version) and to get the update approved. I will think about the next steps after this has been accomplished. Given the huge number of supportive messages I received (much appreciated!) the project will be continued in some form in any case.
    Version 1.1900 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval (which is the main goal of this release).

Changelog/download:

My girlfriend is slowly recovering too :)
    It is time for a new, modern, open source, privacy friendly email client for Android.

I have just released a first alpha version for feedback on the design and features.

Not for production use yet!

Most of the stuff basically works, but be prepared for crashes and error notifications.

Safe email is a working name, but it is for several reasons not a convenient name, so suggestions for a name are welcome.
    I have just released alpha version 0.15

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/releases

With a bit of luck the next version can be a beta version.

I am putting a lot of effort into this project, so thanks are appreciated.