[CLOSED][APP][5.0+] FairEmail - Fully featured, open source, privacy oriented email app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
See the attached image. Both accounts have been defined identically, both are definitely IMAP and both work in the same way (ie I see and can work with the server folders etc). And I have never defined the T account as anything else than IMAP either.

Further, the settings. When I am deep in the folder hierarchy, I have to tap back for a few times until I can find the Settings wheel. That's what I meant. Not only tapping, I also lose my position in the folder hierarchy.

As to export... I have no expectation. I just want to know whether importing works across versions and devices.
Please send me the debug info by long pressing 'Support' in the navigation menu and I will check the settings.

You can swipe from the left side inwards to show the navigation menu and to go to the settings quickly.

Export/import works across devices, but if you set up a Gmail account with the quick setup wizard you'll need to authenticate it again on another device.

Edit: my guess is that the account is set to manual sync in the account settings (via "Manual setup and account options" in the main settings screen), which also explains why it isn't synced automatically:

https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/b...de/email/FragmentOptionsSynchronize.java#L685

Reactions: sieghartRM

TooMuchSloeGin

Sep 19, 2013
Stratfield Mortimer
Edit: my guess is that the account is set to manual sync in the account settings (via "Manual setup and account options" in the main settings screen), which also explains why it isn't synced automatically:
Yep, that setting was indeed the culprit (I have set up both accounts manually as I am not a great friend of auto-this and auto-that, and obviously I changed this for the first account but not the second). Thanks for the pointer.

The swipe left for the settings works... alas I am known not to be the greatest swiper under the sun so this sort of thing doesn't come natural ;-)

That leaves me with the 7/30 thing. Any enlightenment there?

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Yep, that setting was indeed the culprit (I have set up both accounts manually as I am not a great friend of auto-this and auto-that, and obviously I changed this for the first account but not the second). Thanks for the pointer.

The swipe left for the settings works... alas I am known not to be the greatest swiper under the sun so this sort of thing doesn't come natural ;-)

That leaves me with the 7/30 thing. Any enlightenment there?
By default 'browse' is enabled (advanced account settings), which means more messages will be downloaded on scrolling down, independent of the 7/30 setting. I guess you'll want to disable this.

TooMuchSloeGin

Sep 19, 2013
Stratfield Mortimer
By default 'browse' is enabled (advanced account settings), which means more messages will be downloaded on scrolling down, independent of the 7/30 setting. I guess you'll want to disable this.
I'll experiment with that and if I can't get it to do what I want I'll be back :)

One thing I'd say is that there so many options and so much "cross dependency" that getting the hang of things is not trivial. Then again, setting the options is something I'd do once and then forget.

Thanks for the help and have a nice day...!

de_Wolf

Apr 30, 2022
One thing I'd say is that there so many options and so much "cross dependency" that getting the hang of things is not trivial. Then again, setting the options is something I'd do once and then forget.
This is always a balancing act for the developer. If there are too few settings options, the users are dissatisfied, if there are too many, they are dissatisfied as well.

The good thing in the settings is the search function, this has often helped me to locate options.

TooMuchSloeGin

Sep 19, 2013
Stratfield Mortimer
This is always a balancing act for the developer. If there are too few settings options, the users are dissatisfied, if there are too many, they are dissatisfied as well.
Sure and I'd be among the first to advocate for more options. I guess what I am trying to say is that if the number of options exceeds a certain threshold then it becomes hard to know which option is where and does what, especially if changing an option has repercussions elsewhere. So it becomes ever more important to have an orthogonal set of options, grouped in a logical way. I know very well that this is hard to achieve, with the way software tends to grow organically.

As to search, I use that... but that "browse" option is a perfect case in point: I searched for it but it won't find the option I needed to change, probably because it's buried deep in the Advanced options within Main.

@M66B: Once I had located and disabled the "browse" option, the 7/30 setting is indeed honoured. That's good... but of course I've now lost the ability to browse :) In my view, the behaviour should be that the "7/30" setting should be honoured independently from the browse option. If I say 7/30 (or 1/5) I want 7/30 (or 1/5). That's probably just me.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Sure and I'd be among the first to advocate for more options. I guess what I am trying to say is that if the number of options exceeds a certain threshold then it becomes hard to know which option is where and does what, especially if changing an option has repercussions elsewhere. So it becomes ever more important to have an orthogonal set of options, grouped in a logical way. I know very well that this is hard to achieve, with the way software tends to grow organically.

As to search, I use that... but that "browse" option is a perfect case in point: I searched for it but it won't find the option I needed to change, probably because it's buried deep in the Advanced options within Main.

@M66B: Once I had located and disabled the "browse" option, the 7/30 setting is indeed honoured. That's good... but of course I've now lost the ability to browse :) In my view, the behaviour should be that the "7/30" setting should be honoured independently from the browse option. If I say 7/30 (or 1/5) I want 7/30 (or 1/5). That's probably just me.
Since the app will already keep message for 30 days on your device, it isn't useful to limit 'browse' to 30 days too (or another number of days if this was configured).

TooMuchSloeGin

Sep 19, 2013
Stratfield Mortimer
Since the app will already keep message for 30 days on your device, it isn't useful to limit 'browse' to 30 days too (or another number of days if this was configured).
I agree and that's not what I meant. What I mean is this scenario:
1. Delete all messages in folder LOCALLY, not on the server. The folder is now empty.
2. Enable browse and have 7/30 (or 1/5).
3. Sync the folder.
4. The folder (as it's now) downloads ~40 messages, some more than 6 weeks old. Why 40? Why more than 6 weeks?
5. The folder (as I'd expect it) downloads exactly 7 (or 1) day(s) worth of messages but the user can browse for more if s/he wants.

Browse as an explicit action should always override 7/30 (or 1/5). But simply syncing a folder should not.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I agree and that's not what I meant. What I mean is this scenario:
1. Delete all messages in folder LOCALLY, not on the server. The folder is now empty.
2. Enable browse and have 7/30 (or 1/5).
3. Sync the folder.
4. The folder (as it's now) downloads ~40 messages, some more than 6 weeks old. Why 40? Why more than 6 weeks?
5. The folder (as I'd expect it) downloads exactly 7 (or 1) day(s) worth of messages but the user can browse for more if s/he wants.

Browse as an explicit action should always override 7/30 (or 1/5). But simply syncing a folder should not.
Synchronizing a folder will respect the sync/keep settings. Scrolling down (browse) will download messages beyond the sync settings. The latter can be disabled if you wish and the sync/keep settings will be fully respected. So, a choice ...

Hi, I'm the guy who talked to you on Saturday about switching from PlayStore Pro account to Ghithub version, all flawless with the app, I'd just like to make a suggestion if it's considered a good idea, in the side bar when you click on an account it opens in full screen window with the folder list, would it be possible to make it so that when you click on the account it expands the folder list of that account in the sidebar and another click to collapse?

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Hi, I'm the guy who talked to you on Saturday about switching from PlayStore Pro account to Ghithub version, all flawless with the app, I'd just like to make a suggestion if it's considered a good idea, in the side tab when you click on an account it opens in full screen window with the folder list, would it be possible to make it so that when you click on the account it expands the folder list of that account in the sidebar and another click to collapse?
I guess you'll want to enable two column mode in the display settings.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
No, it doesn't and that's exactly my point. If I just do the steps I outlined above, when I sync the folder (without ever browsing) then many more messages (three or four screenfuls) are downloaded than dictated by the settings. At least here.
Browse will fill the screen and prefetch about one screen more to reduce the waiting time. This could mean that older messages are being fetched.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I know about that option but that's not what I was referring to, I was referring to the folders appearing under the account name on the left side
Some people have thousands of folders dozens of levels deep, which will let some other email apps crash. Mostly, people are interested in a few folders only anyway. Therefore you can manually add folders to the navigation menu by long pressing a folder in the folder list and create your own shortlist.

Note that you can double collapse/expand the accounts section in the navigation menu, first the folders and after that the accounts.

Some people have thousands of folders dozens of levels deep, which will let some other email apps crash. Mostly, people are interested in a few folders only anyway. Therefore you can manually add folders to the navigation menu by long pressing a folder in the folder list and create your own shortlist.

Note that you can double collapse/expand the accounts section in the navigation menu, first the folders and after that the accounts.
Excellent, I have added the folders I wanted but now they are always visible, when I click on the account name they don't expand or collapse, is there some option left to activate for this to work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ic_launcher.png

FairEmail
    Open source, privacy friendly email app for Android

banner7_long.png

See here for a description:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/

See here for screenshots:
    https://email.faircode.eu/#screenshots

Downloads:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email#user-content-downloads

Frequently asked questions:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/blob/master/FAQ.md

Please read this before requesting a new feature:
    https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/FAQ.md#user-content-get-support

This XDA thread is about using the latest version of FairEmail.

For support on authorizing an account, you should consult the documentation of your provider, see also here.

Off-topic comments are allowed as long they are related to FairEmail and are in the general interest of the followers of this thread.

Discussion of purchases is not allowed here, please contact me via here instead.
    How was the call with Google today, Marcel?

Google was pretty friendly and cooperative and told me the favicons are indeed the problem, and it can/should be fixed by updating in the privacy policy to "disclose how your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares user data":

Privacy Policy​

All apps must post a privacy policy in both the designated field in Play Console and within the app itself. The privacy policy must, together with any in-app disclosures, comprehensively disclose how your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares user data, not limited by the data disclosed in the Data Safety section. This must include:
    • developer information and a privacy point of contact or a mechanism to submit inquiries
    • disclosing the types of personal and sensitive user data your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares; and any parties with which any personal or sensitive user data is shared
    • secure data handling procedures for personal and sensitive user data
    • the developer’s data retention and deletion policy
    • clear labeling as a privacy policy (e.g., listed as “privacy policy” in title)
    The entity (e.g., developer, company) named in the app’s Google Play listing must appear in the privacy policy or the app must be named in the privacy policy. Apps that do not access any personal and sensitive user data must still submit a privacy policy.

Please make sure your privacy policy is available on an active URL (no PDFs) and is non-editable.

So, I have updated the privacy policy and added this new table:

https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/PRIVACY.md#summary-of-shared-data

I am not sure if it covers everything, so feedback is more than welcome. @mkasimd maybe you can take a look?

Note that I have also enabled BIMI, Gravatars, Libravatars and favicons for the Play store version again.

The short term goal is to release a Play store test version (and associated GitHub version) and to get the update approved. I will think about the next steps after this has been accomplished. Given the huge number of supportive messages I received (much appreciated!) the project will be continued in some form in any case.
    Version 1.1900 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval (which is the main goal of this release).

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/releases

My girlfriend is slowly recovering too :)
    It is time for a new, modern, open source, privacy friendly email client for Android.

I have just released a first alpha version for feedback on the design and features.

Not for production use yet!

Most of the stuff basically works, but be prepared for crashes and error notifications.

Safe email is a working name, but it is for several reasons not a convenient name, so suggestions for a name are welcome.
    I have just released alpha version 0.15

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/releases

With a bit of luck the next version can be a beta version.

I am putting a lot of effort into this project, so thanks are appreciated.