[CLOSED][APP][5.0+] FairEmail - Fully featured, open source, privacy oriented email app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

candicus

Sep 24, 2022
Berlin
I miss a search option while viewing a message. This would be a nice feature.
In a message list or folder there is a magnifying glass for searching for a given string anywhere in the messages. That is very helpful.
The found strings are highlighted in a message but only in the original message view. Can the strings be highlighted in the formatted message, too?
Thank you for the best email app ever.
Play store version 1.1964

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I miss a search option while viewing a message. This would be a nice feature.
In a message list or folder there is a magnifying glass for searching for a given string anywhere in the messages. That is very helpful.
The found strings are highlighted in a message but only in the original message view. Can the strings be highlighted in the formatted message, too?
Thank you for the best email app ever.
Play store version 1.1964
You'll find a text search in the horizontal three dots menu just above the message text near the left side.

Highlighting should work in the reformatted text view too. I'll look into this. Edit: this will be fixed in the next release.

Last edited:

BackToAndroid

Apr 5, 2017
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4
The structure of the settings was changed a dozens of times and the end result is that whatever the structures is, there is always somebody unhappy.

Signatures are used by few people, and generally I advice against them because it increases the spam score of your messages, especially on first contact, and therefore I would consider them as advanced. This is also the problem: what is basic and advanced is rather subjective.

The only thing I am willing to do (but won't) is remove 95% of the settings because I am more than a bit tired about complaints like "Too many/complicated settings", of which there were even a few when I checked my email after a funeral I attended today ...
My condolences!

I am sure you cannot keep everyone happy, this was just a feedback I wanted to share. However, you are doing an incredible job. Keep up!

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Because the data corruption observed on some Redmi, OnePlus and Oppo devices might be caused by using an app provided sqlite library, the next version of the app will use the Android provided sqlite library again. I don't think that this will result in any problems, except maybe on very old devices, which was the initial reason to use an app provided library. Not that it matter much, the app size will be 3 MB smaller without bundling sqlite.

Preview version with all reported bugs, like search highlighting, fixed:

https://bitbucket.org/M66B/fairemail-test/downloads/FairEmail-v1.1969b-github-native-sqlite-release.apk

Background:

Last edited:

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Another 1 star review which says I need to do less:

Sofort wieder deinstalliert. Da hat sich ein Programmierer ausgetobt, ohne an die Usability zu denken. Mit dieser unsinnigen Vielzahl von Einstellungen macht er es viel zu kompliziert und verliert aus den Augen, worum es eigentlich geht. Nämlich einfach Mails zu senden und zu empfangen. Als ich dann endlich damit durch war und das Ergebnis gesehen habe, knallbunt und unübersichtlich, habe ich die App sofort wieder gelöscht.

(Immediately uninstalled. A programmer let off steam without thinking about usability. With this nonsensical multitude of shots, he makes it far too complicated and loses sight of what it's actually about. Simply send and receive emails. When I was finally done with it and saw the result, brightly colored and confusing, I immediately deleted the app.)

The result is that I am strictly going to enforce the rules for new features as documented here:

https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/FAQ.md#user-content-get-support

Lately, there were several reviews like "I will remove my 1* if you add ...". The monochrome Material You theme is an example of this. I will stop putting effort into things like this as well.

All this doesn't make it more fun to work on this project.

Last edited:
Reactions: The_Two and mkasimd

mkasimd

Apr 7, 2021
Düsseldorf
Another 1 star review which says I need to do less:

(Immediately uninstalled. A programmer let off steam without thinking about usability. With this nonsensical multitude of shots, he makes it far too complicated and loses sight of what it's actually about. Simply send and receive emails. When I was finally done with it and saw the result, brightly colored and confusing, I immediately deleted the app.)

The result is that I am strictly going to enforce the rules for new features as documented here:

Lately, there were several reviews like "I will remove my 1* if you add ...". The monochrome Material You theme is an example of this. I will stop putting effort into things like this as well.

All this doesn't make it more fun to work on this project.
I will remove the 1* review, if you add x.. Wow. That's next-level threatening.

Those people seem to consider 1* reviews as your weakness they can shamelessly utilize to make you implement what they want. You should indeed have your principles as mentioned in the FAQ and stick to them instead of letting yourself be swayed by such reviews..

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
I will remove the 1* review, if you add x.. Wow. That's next-level threatening.

Those people seem to consider 1* reviews as your weakness they can shamelessly utilize to make you implement what they want. You should indeed have your principles as mentioned in the FAQ and stick to them instead of letting yourself be swayed by such reviews..
This kind of threatening has been happening for years. If it is some useful feature, I will see what I can do, but else it will be GFY.

In the case of XPrivacy, one guy even rated dozens of 1 stars. One day XPrivacy was removed from the Play store and this guy kept nagging for years after that. Guess what?

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Version 1.1970 is available on GitHub now and via the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:
https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/releases

Besides fixing all reported the bugs, the main change is not bundling the sqlite library anymore, and instead using Android's sqlite version. Since Android doesn't include full-text search version 5, search indexing was changed to using fts4. The app will automatically rebuild the search index, if search indexing is enabled in the miscellaneous settings.

Hopefully, this change fixes the occasional database corruption on some Redmi, OnePlus and Oppo devices, and not cause any problems on older devices, which is why sqlite was bundled in the first place.,

As a result of this change, the download size is about 3.5 MB smaller.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
You'll never be able to please everybody.
Imho you shouldn't care that much what these morons write.
If they don't like it, so what.
Loads of us do instead.
Keep your head up high.
That's easy to say for you, but I have to deal with things like this on a daily basis.

Edit: like I said a while ago, involvement and keeping distance can't really be combined. In any case, I can't deliver this.

Last edited:

R89I

Sep 27, 2022
Version 1.1970 is available on GitHub now and via the Play store test program after Google's approval.

Changelog/download:

Besides fixing all reported the bugs, the main change is not bundling the sqlite library anymore, and instead using Android's sqlite version. Since Android doesn't include full-text search version 5, search indexing was changed to using fts4. The app will automatically rebuild the search index, if search indexing is enabled in the miscellaneous settings.

Hopefully, this change fixes the occasional database corruption on some Redmi, OnePlus and Oppo devices, and not cause any problems on older devices, which is why sqlite was bundled in the first place.,

As a result of this change, the download size is about 3.5 MB smaller.

Hello Marcel,

Thank you for your continued work on FairEmail, am a happy user for a while now.

Hope you don't mind me asking for advice. I installed 1.1970 from GitHub on a Pixel 4a 5G with GrapheneOS and the app won't launch anymore. I don't think I have had search indexing enabled, unless it is enabled by default? I have asked in the Matrix room and other users on GrapheneOS who are also using the GitHub release report no issues with 1.1970. I have tried re-installing the version with a freshly downloaded release from GitHub but to no avail. The app doesn't launch. Presumably this is just bad luck.

Is there a way of re-installing without losing my app data such as set up accounts? Or is that not possible (for good reasons)?

Thank you.

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Hello Marcel,

Thank you for your continued work on FairEmail, am a happy user for a while now.

Hope you don't mind me asking for advice. I installed 1.1970 from GitHub on a Pixel 4a 5G with GrapheneOS and the app won't launch anymore. I don't think I have had search indexing enabled, unless it is enabled by default? I have asked in the Matrix room and other users on GrapheneOS who are also using the GitHub release report no issues with 1.1970. I have tried re-installing the version with a freshly downloaded release from GitHub but to no avail. The app doesn't launch. Presumably this is just bad luck.

Is there a way of re-installing without losing my app data such as set up accounts? Or is that not possible (for good reasons)?

Thank you.
I can't be sure, but I don't think this is related to using sqlite of Android.

Reinstalling will result in Android resetting all data. So, you'll need to reconfigure the accounts again, which is in most cases rather simple.

I would like to hear if reinstalling fixes the problem.

Not that this will help you now, but you can export and import all data via the navigation menu of the settings screen.

Edit: before you do anything: try to reboot your device.

Reactions: R89I and fraschi51

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
@R89I looking at the Bugsnag error reports, it looks like not all Android versions offer all sqlite features the app needs. Unfortunately, I can't look into this right away, so this has to wait until later today.

Reactions: R89I

R89I

Sep 27, 2022
@R89I looking at the Bugsnag error reports, it looks like not all Android versions offer all sqlite features the app needs. Unfortunately, I can't look into this right away, so this has to wait until later today.
Thanks a lot for the quick response. Wish I had exported data before (oops). Have rebooted a few things (both via power menu and long-hold power button press) but no effect.

If I choose to go down the re-install path I will let you know, but also a bit tied up right now and would need to jiggle with 2FA app passwords.

Appreciate the suggestions very much!

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Thanks a lot for the quick response. Wish I had exported data before (oops). Have rebooted a few things (both via power menu and long-hold power button press) but no effect.

If I choose to go down the re-install path I will let you know, but also a bit tied up right now and would need to jiggle with 2FA app passwords.

Appreciate the suggestions very much!
If you wait a little, I will build and publish a new version.

Reactions: R89I
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ic_launcher.png

FairEmail
    Open source, privacy friendly email app for Android

banner7_long.png

See here for a description:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/

See here for screenshots:
    https://email.faircode.eu/#screenshots

Downloads:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email#user-content-downloads

Frequently asked questions:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/blob/master/FAQ.md

Please read this before requesting a new feature:

This XDA thread is about using the latest version of FairEmail.

For support on authorizing an account, you should consult the documentation of your provider, see also here.

Off-topic comments are allowed as long they are related to FairEmail and are in the general interest of the followers of this thread.

Discussion of purchases is not allowed here, please contact me via here instead.
    How was the call with Google today, Marcel?

Google was pretty friendly and cooperative and told me the favicons are indeed the problem, and it can/should be fixed by updating in the privacy policy to "disclose how your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares user data":

Privacy Policy​

All apps must post a privacy policy in both the designated field in Play Console and within the app itself. The privacy policy must, together with any in-app disclosures, comprehensively disclose how your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares user data, not limited by the data disclosed in the Data Safety section. This must include:
    • developer information and a privacy point of contact or a mechanism to submit inquiries
    • disclosing the types of personal and sensitive user data your app accesses, collects, uses, and shares; and any parties with which any personal or sensitive user data is shared
    • secure data handling procedures for personal and sensitive user data
    • the developer’s data retention and deletion policy
    • clear labeling as a privacy policy (e.g., listed as “privacy policy” in title)
    The entity (e.g., developer, company) named in the app’s Google Play listing must appear in the privacy policy or the app must be named in the privacy policy. Apps that do not access any personal and sensitive user data must still submit a privacy policy.

Please make sure your privacy policy is available on an active URL (no PDFs) and is non-editable.

So, I have updated the privacy policy and added this new table:

https://github.com/M66B/FairEmail/blob/master/PRIVACY.md#summary-of-shared-data

I am not sure if it covers everything, so feedback is more than welcome. @mkasimd maybe you can take a look?

Note that I have also enabled BIMI, Gravatars, Libravatars and favicons for the Play store version again.

The short term goal is to release a Play store test version (and associated GitHub version) and to get the update approved. I will think about the next steps after this has been accomplished. Given the huge number of supportive messages I received (much appreciated!) the project will be continued in some form in any case.
    Version 1.1900 is available on GitHub now and in the Play store test program after Google's approval (which is the main goal of this release).

Changelog/download:

My girlfriend is slowly recovering too :)
    It is time for a new, modern, open source, privacy friendly email client for Android.

I have just released a first alpha version for feedback on the design and features.

Not for production use yet!

Most of the stuff basically works, but be prepared for crashes and error notifications.

Safe email is a working name, but it is for several reasons not a convenient name, so suggestions for a name are welcome.
    I have just released alpha version 0.15

Changelog/download:
    https://github.com/M66B/open-source-email/releases

With a bit of luck the next version can be a beta version.

I am putting a lot of effort into this project, so thanks are appreciated.