• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[App][5.0+] K9-Mail Material Design (open source) [Discontinued]

Search This thread

OSheden

Feb 13, 2017
play.google.com
Weird new app icon
icon.png

jerryn70

Mar 15, 2012
After the naugat update sync is not working. When I open it shows sync disabled .

My settings - always sync
Battery optimization disabled.

Any solutions ?

Gaukler_Faun

Aug 10, 2012
Near Karlsruhe
github.com
[Discontinued]

At the moment I'm working on my browser, and on other apps I published on F-Droid. So indeed sorry, but I think I will drop support for this project. If anyone wants to go the way ahead, the source code is published to work with.

I also want to thank the community for the interest in this side project. Thanks for testing and using to all of you, but the journey must go on.

Regard
Gaukler Faun

flocke000

Apr 26, 2014
Oberhausen
At the moment I'm working on my browser, and on other apps I published on F-Droid. So indeed sorry, but I think I will drop support for this project. If anyone wants to go the way ahead, the source code is published to work with.

I also want to thank the community for the interest in this side project. Thanks for testing and using to all of you, but the journey must go on.

Regard
Gaukler Faun

Thank you for your work on this project. Good luck with you other projects.

I think they are working on an official material design so let's hope that gets released soon. Just installed the official app for the first time in a long while and can barely look at it :D

Reactions: Gaukler_Faun

aquatix

Apr 11, 2010
Thanks for working on this project! Our time is limited so good luck with your other projects.

I can't return on the official app with the Holo UI so I'll give a try to @G00fY2's latest build: https://github.com/G00fY2/k-9_material_design/releases
(export your settings > uninstall this version > install the new one > import your settings)

I've been using his builds for quite a while and happy with them. Wouldn't be able to use the current version of K-9 :)

flocke000

Apr 26, 2014
Oberhausen
Thanks for working on this project! Our time is limited so good luck with your other projects.

I can't return on the official app with the Holo UI so I'll give a try to @G00fY2's latest build: https://github.com/G00fY2/k-9_material_design/releases
(export your settings > uninstall this version > install the new one > import your settings)

Thanks for posting the version by @G00fY2, I didn't know about it until now.
It looks nice, hopefully he keeps it updated until we get an official material design.
The Holo version hurts my eyes a bit ....

G00fY2

Apr 14, 2011
Thank you for all your work @Gaukler_Faun!

Actually I'm happy if some of you enjoy my fork wich includes some newer commits from the official branch (5.208).
But I have to say that atm I am not sure if there will be any further updates on my fork in the future, too. The guys working on the official K-9 version have refactored the whole project (not in the sense of optimizing the logic everywhere, but changing the naming convention, switched to different debugging logger and stuff like that). That results in changes to over 600 files and therefore I can't just automatically merge the new codebase into my fork like before.

That also means, that if I like to switch to the next official release 5.3xx this would result in rewriting all changes I made so far. TBO thats not really satisfying work to do.:D Also I am not sure how much changes they plan to do in the future.

Beside from that I think the release of the new K-9 with material design will still take a while. So don't expect this any time soon. Their latest design mockup seems to be still this one (mobile users care, the image is ~7MB!). I'm looking forward to this and maybe I find time to contribute to the official redesign. Until then I think there will be hardly any reason to switch from Gaukler_Faun's or my fork to the latest official version with old holo design.;)

Last edited:

wombatch

Jan 18, 2012
Hi there, I hope someone can help me. I installed this on Lineage Nougat, to try it out, overall it looked like it could be good and then I saw the (no future support) label so decided to get rid of it again. Sadly it has somehow set the top and bottom of all my screens to be RED, can anybody tell me how it is possible to get rid of the red and revert to the previous nice black without restoring from a backup of my system?

Gaukler_Faun

Aug 10, 2012
Near Karlsruhe
github.com
Hi there, I hope someone can help me. I installed this on Lineage Nougat, to try it out, overall it looked like it could be good and then I saw the (no future support) label so decided to get rid of it again. Sadly it has somehow set the top and bottom of all my screens to be RED, can anybody tell me how it is possible to get rid of the red and revert to the previous nice black without restoring from a backup of my system?
It should be possible to export the settings (somewhere in the menu). Then uninstall this fork, install the regular K9 app and import your settings. Then you should have the original look and feel.

Regards
Gaukler Faun

wombatch

Jan 18, 2012
It should be possible to export the settings (somewhere in the menu). Then uninstall this fork, install the regular K9 app and import your settings. Then you should have the original look and feel.

Regards
Gaukler Faun
Sadly I wasn't patient enough. The RED status bar and notification bars on every app and all home pages were too "stunning" for my taste. I tried restoring system and data from a TWRP backup, that made no difference. Then found an xposed module called Gravity box which when I installed it somehow reset all the RED back to the previous colour. (Sorry not to have tried your solution but I leave this one which worked for me in case there is someone else with the same issue).

Reactions: Gaukler_Faun

wombatch

Jan 18, 2012
Sorry to come back to this, it seems the Xposed module changes aren't as permanent as I hoped. I am hoping you can help me understand how this works so I can revert this colour change.
I have a nightly build of Lineage that I am running so I think my real questions are....
The setting of my status/notification and task bar to RED was done when I installed this version of K9, I dont normally use K9 because I dont like the format of the "real one".
I would expect removal of the K9 that caused the RED status bar etc to revert the status bar to the previous colour which doesn't seem to happen. I have searched for ages about how this change is actually done and can find nothing apart from programming statements to set the colours when creating a product.
So, do you think this is bug somewhere in this K9 (in which case my best option is probably to follow your idea above) or a failure in the Lineage nightly build to restore the system to its previous value when the K9 product was removed.
I just wish I could find out what is actually modified so I can restore it from backup.

Gaukler_Faun

Aug 10, 2012
Near Karlsruhe
github.com
Sorry to come back to this, it seems the Xposed module changes aren't as permanent as I hoped. I am hoping you can help me understand how this works so I can revert this colour change.
I have a nightly build of Lineage that I am running so I think my real questions are....
The setting of my status/notification and task bar to RED was done when I installed this version of K9, I dont normally use K9 because I dont like the format of the "real one".
I would expect removal of the K9 that caused the RED status bar etc to revert the status bar to the previous colour which doesn't seem to happen. I have searched for ages about how this change is actually done and can find nothing apart from programming statements to set the colours when creating a product.
So, do you think this is bug somewhere in this K9 (in which case my best option is probably to follow your idea above) or a failure in the Lineage nightly build to restore the system to its previous value when the K9 product was removed.
I just wish I could find out what is actually modified so I can restore it from backup.
I created this fork because of the design of the original k9 client. I switched to material design. And since red is the color of the original app, I changed the primary color to red. In this fork there is no possibility to change the red color. Of course there might be possibilities (xposed modules, substratum, make an other fork with other status bar color, ...), but I from my side can't do nothing. Sorry.

wombatch

Jan 18, 2012
I created this fork because of the design of the original k9 client. I switched to material design. And since red is the color of the original app, I changed the primary color to red. In this fork there is no possibility to change the red color. Of course there might be possibilities (xposed modules, substratum, make an other fork with other status bar color, ...), but I from my side can't do nothing. Sorry.

I think maybe I am not explaining myself clearly, I am not asking you to fix anything (there is clearly no longer any support) I also understand your reasons for creating the fork.
What I am trying to understand is the "Material" design implimentation.
The installation of your fork caused the status bar and the taskbar to be set to RED, ok that is your choice within the app and i understand you wont change it. My problem is not with your app but with the effect it had on all the other screens of my phone!
When I remove your fork from my system the status bar and notification bar for my home screens are still red. My assumption would have been that when I removed your fork, the red would be gone too but that is not the case.
I am simply trying to understand more how it works so I can recover from the situation in the best way.
Since my coding is pretty basic at best the quickest option is to ask how this works on a forum and hope I can get enough detail to figure out whether the best method of recovery is your suggestion, OR whether because I am running a nightly build there is a problem with the "Material" implementation in that.
I know you wont know the answer to the second part of the question but perhaps someone could confirm that on removing this K9 fork from their system the red status and taskbars were also gone, I would then have a better idea where the problem lies.
I hope I have explained myself a little better and thanks very much for your feedback.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Since I don't have the time too support this project. At the moment I will not longer support or update this project.

Hi!

• What's the best open source mail client? - K9
    • What's the the problem with K9? - The design.

Because of that I decided to fork K9 and give it a material design. I used the most recent stable release (5.010). I only changed the theme to material (see screenshots). I didn't remove or add functions.

The app is, as you know, complete open source. So here is the source code of my fork.

Changelog (K9 Githubsite)
    Download

Apk download for install
    Hey guys, I was considering to create some pull requests to this fork but in the end there were too many things that I disliked so I startet a new fork from scratch:
    K-9 Mail Material Fork
    Also there are some problems about maintaining the current fork imo.

I'm feeling a bit sorry for Gaukler_Faun who made this idea real first and I don't want to steal the show.
    But I went a different approach. I choose to port K9 to the Android support Library v7 appcompat, so that the minimum SDK version stays untouched. Some other stuff I did:
    • added theming options to choose overall app color theme and switching between light and dark style
    • rewritten parts of ContactPictureLoader to get nicer round contact icons
    • changed typeface in message list
    • changed animations when opening/closing messages in message list
    • changed most icons to Googles official material design icons + I created a material app icon inspired by Gmail
    • added Floating Action Button to message list
    • updated the dependencies and the android build tool to it's latest version
    • underlying libraries and mail logic classes untouched
    • many more, see my commits

Download first APK from here. Please don't post bugs and stuff in this thread. Use github or PM me. If I see the need I create a new thread on xda.

Maybe there is a chance me and Gaukler_Faun can merge our forks, but tbo this would probably result in more work for both of us.

I'm still considering whether I release this fork on any store. This project was for my personal purpose in the first place.

PS: For all of you who are wondering, there are plans on side of the K9 Mail devs to switch to a new design in the official app. There is already an first repository with design concepts. But all I can say is that, after seeing the code, this will take some time. I won't expect this to happen within the next year.

Edit: v5.207.2 ready to download. Fixed the bug that caused theming options not been saved.
    Edit May 15: v5.207.3 released! See Link for changes.
    Update to v 5.202

Finally it's there. Thanks for your patience. Download in second post and later on xda labs.

Regards
    Gaukler Faun

Changelog:

Fixed bug where BCC header line was accidentally included in sent messages
    Fixed problem with getting the list of IMAP folders
    Always show subject in message header when split mode is active
    Hide crypto status indicator in contact dropdown when no crypto provider is configured
    Fixed button to expand CC/BCC recipients in dark theme
    Fixed various crashes

More information:
    https://github.com/k9mail/k-9/releases
    Update to v 5.203

Hi, since Newton mail really got a piece of crap (sorry for these harsh words but cloudmagic was just wonderful) I was looking for an alternative...
    I am really happy with this nice ui mod of k9mail. One question though: would it be possible to add some more editing of the font? I would like to set some stuff to bold writing...

Gesendet von meinem ONEPLUS A3003 mit Tapatalk
    No chance of adding new features. I only theme to material design.

Loving the app so far. One thing though, when you delete an item from the notifications it pops up with a holo themed confirmation dialog
    P2EUI
    I can't confirm this. For me it's working fine. Perhaps new version solves the bug.

Amazing app, I've switched over from regular k9. Only issue is in the message view, the reply/forward button is missing from the top panel. It only displays when the phone is rotated in landscape. Is there any way to force this button to always display? Thanks
    No. No chance.

Update to v 5.203
    Changelog:

Fixed bug with pinch to zoom gesture
    Added setting for disabling 'mark all as read' confirmation dialog
    Update full text search index when removing messages
    Fixed display bug when replying to messages using dark theme
    Don't hide Cc and Bcc if 'Always show Cc/Bcc' is enabled
    Allow sending signed-only PGP/INLINE messages
    Don't save drafts when message could be sent encrypted
    More bug fixes

More infos:
    https://github.com/k9mail/k-9/releases

Download, as always, in second post and soon on XDA-labs.

regards
    Gaukler Faun