[App][5.0+] K9-Mail Material Design (open source) [Discontinued]

Search This thread

_WiNNa_

Jun 14, 2012
Xiaomi Poco F1
Xiaomi 11T Pro
When I remove your fork from my system the status bar and notification bar for my home screens are still red. My assumption would have been that when I removed your fork, the red would be gone too but that is not the case.
I am simply trying to understand more how it works so I can recover from the situation in the best way.
[...]
I know you wont know the answer to the second part of the question but perhaps someone could confirm that on removing this K9 fork from their system the red status and taskbars were also gone, I would then have a better idea where the problem lies.
I hope I have explained myself a little better and thanks very much for your feedback.

There must be another problem with your android, or your launcher.
The notification bar color changing has nothing to do with this version of K9-Mail. It's an android feature.
Something similar should happen with other apps, too.

What about going to recovery and cleaning cache and dalvik/art?
Perhaps this could help...

Reactions: Gaukler_Faun

totomo26

May 4, 2017
OnePlus 5T

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190304-105631.png
    Screenshot_20190304-105631.png
    75.1 KB · Views: 560
  • Screenshot_20190304-105646.png
    Screenshot_20190304-105646.png
    61.1 KB · Views: 552
  • Screenshot_20190304-105652.png
    Screenshot_20190304-105652.png
    58.3 KB · Views: 581
  • Screenshot_20190304-105737.png
    Screenshot_20190304-105737.png
    188.8 KB · Views: 560
  • Screenshot_20190304-105748.png
    Screenshot_20190304-105748.png
    62.7 KB · Views: 567
  • Screenshot_20190304-105811.png
    Screenshot_20190304-105811.png
    154 KB · Views: 542

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Since I don't have the time too support this project. At the moment I will not longer support or update this project.

Hi!

• What's the best open source mail client? - K9
    • What's the the problem with K9? - The design.

Because of that I decided to fork K9 and give it a material design. I used the most recent stable release (5.010). I only changed the theme to material (see screenshots). I didn't remove or add functions.

The app is, as you know, complete open source. So here is the source code of my fork.

Changelog (K9 Githubsite)
    Download

Apk download for install
    Hey guys, I was considering to create some pull requests to this fork but in the end there were too many things that I disliked so I startet a new fork from scratch:
    K-9 Mail Material Fork
    Also there are some problems about maintaining the current fork imo.

I'm feeling a bit sorry for Gaukler_Faun who made this idea real first and I don't want to steal the show.
    But I went a different approach. I choose to port K9 to the Android support Library v7 appcompat, so that the minimum SDK version stays untouched. Some other stuff I did:
    • added theming options to choose overall app color theme and switching between light and dark style
    • rewritten parts of ContactPictureLoader to get nicer round contact icons
    • changed typeface in message list
    • changed animations when opening/closing messages in message list
    • changed most icons to Googles official material design icons + I created a material app icon inspired by Gmail
    • added Floating Action Button to message list
    • updated the dependencies and the android build tool to it's latest version
    • underlying libraries and mail logic classes untouched
    • many more, see my commits

Download first APK from here. Please don't post bugs and stuff in this thread. Use github or PM me. If I see the need I create a new thread on xda.

Maybe there is a chance me and Gaukler_Faun can merge our forks, but tbo this would probably result in more work for both of us.

I'm still considering whether I release this fork on any store. This project was for my personal purpose in the first place.

PS: For all of you who are wondering, there are plans on side of the K9 Mail devs to switch to a new design in the official app. There is already an first repository with design concepts. But all I can say is that, after seeing the code, this will take some time. I won't expect this to happen within the next year.

Edit: v5.207.2 ready to download. Fixed the bug that caused theming options not been saved.
    Edit May 15: v5.207.3 released! See Link for changes.
    Update to v 5.202

Finally it's there. Thanks for your patience. Download in second post and later on xda labs.

Regards
    Gaukler Faun

Changelog:

Fixed bug where BCC header line was accidentally included in sent messages
    Fixed problem with getting the list of IMAP folders
    Always show subject in message header when split mode is active
    Hide crypto status indicator in contact dropdown when no crypto provider is configured
    Fixed button to expand CC/BCC recipients in dark theme
    Fixed various crashes

More information:
    https://github.com/k9mail/k-9/releases
    Update to v 5.203

Hi, since Newton mail really got a piece of crap (sorry for these harsh words but cloudmagic was just wonderful) I was looking for an alternative...
    I am really happy with this nice ui mod of k9mail. One question though: would it be possible to add some more editing of the font? I would like to set some stuff to bold writing...

Gesendet von meinem ONEPLUS A3003 mit Tapatalk
    No chance of adding new features. I only theme to material design.

Loving the app so far. One thing though, when you delete an item from the notifications it pops up with a holo themed confirmation dialog
    P2EUI
    I can't confirm this. For me it's working fine. Perhaps new version solves the bug.

Amazing app, I've switched over from regular k9. Only issue is in the message view, the reply/forward button is missing from the top panel. It only displays when the phone is rotated in landscape. Is there any way to force this button to always display? Thanks
    No. No chance.

Update to v 5.203
    Changelog:

Fixed bug with pinch to zoom gesture
    Added setting for disabling 'mark all as read' confirmation dialog
    Update full text search index when removing messages
    Fixed display bug when replying to messages using dark theme
    Don't hide Cc and Bcc if 'Always show Cc/Bcc' is enabled
    Allow sending signed-only PGP/INLINE messages
    Don't save drafts when message could be sent encrypted
    More bug fixes

More infos:
    https://github.com/k9mail/k-9/releases

Download, as always, in second post and soon on XDA-labs.

regards
    Gaukler Faun