[APP][5.0+] Peregrine Browser

Search This thread

Chiko-HH

Oct 15, 2015
Cool. New features... Is it possible in the next release,to add folder/subfolder for bookmarks?

Sent from my LGE LG-H850 using XDA Labs

Musikologin

Jul 5, 2015
Playing around with this neat browser, but before it replaces my former one, some questions:

1. How can my shortcuts on START be saved with original icons? I always get a default symbol. When I am to choose an icon I can only click 'undefined'. What am I doing wrong?

2. Is it possible to activate Google search suggestions? I guess it will cost great speed performance but maybe one could choose to activate/disable it?

3. Why does it take so incredibly long to open Hub? It's at least 8 seconds.

Thanks in advance!

Galaxy Note 4, Stock 6.0.1, root/xposed

MarcTheDragon

Dec 31, 2013
Beta version just crashes, does not work at all!

What Android version are you currently using? Can you try the latest beta update to see if it fixes it?
According to the Google Play Developer Console, there is a bug on some Android 7.1 devices.
(This is also why the update hasn't been rolled out to stable)

The bug probably wouldn't be there if HTC just updated the HTC 10, but it's still on Android 7.0 and the January security patch... Even Samsung does a better job with updates.

Also:
- The Hub takes long to load because it will load 500+ history items, I'm working to reduce it to ~100 with a "load more" button (most other browsers also don't load all history at the same time).
- Recently some bugs with adding websites to Start have been fixed, but unfortunately it is not yet bugfree.
- All feedback here is getting read, but it will take a lot of time to implement everything.

Reactions: Aerotinge

Ragnar Eldur

Jul 22, 2016
What Android version are you currently using? Can you try the latest beta update to see if it fixes it?
According to the Google Play Developer Console, there is a bug on some Android 7.1 devices.
(This is also why the update hasn't been rolled out to stable)

The bug probably wouldn't be there if HTC just updated the HTC 10, but it's still on Android 7.0 and the January security patch... Even Samsung does a better job with updates.

Also:
- The Hub takes long to load because it will load 500+ history items, I'm working to reduce it to ~100 with a "load more" button (most other browsers also don't load all history at the same time).
- Recently some bugs with adding websites to Start have been fixed, but unfortunately it is not yet bugfree.
- All feedback here is getting read, but it will take a lot of time to implement everything.

Running the latest Lineage OS on Galaxy S5. Haven't had this problem with any other app.

Latest update works.

Take a look at the Naked Browser Pro 80, currently my favorite one. Could give you some good ideas.

Last edited:

bokusen

Aug 25, 2017
This browser is great! Thanks so much for making it!
If I may give a few suggestions, there are a few things I believe might make it even better, at least for my everyday usage and maybe others, but I have no idea if how easy they would be to implement...

• Have an option to force sites to support zooming in if they disallow it. Dolphin Browser has this, along with some sort of text reflow feature that makes the bigger text reflow to fit on the screen. That comes it handy with sites that use too small text & I would love it if Peregrine added this.
  • Fix the non-working text size adjuster in settings This doesn't work for me (tried on Samsung Galaxy S4 & Galaxy Tab S, both on Lollipop), the slider slides but the text size doesn't change at all.
  • Add bookmark import & export features. Lightning Browser has this, and it really helps me keep my computer, tablet & smartphone bookmarks in sync easily.

Anyways, thank you so much for making such an awesome browser! I really use & appreciate the night mode in particular & it really shows how much hard work you must have put in to make something like this!

Last edited:

Sebi673

Oct 11, 2013
Bucharest
Issues with ui elements positioning as seen in the screens on Xperia XZ Premium. Also no accent tab coloring. Yet the pressing issue not being able to access the menu. If I open it on landscape and rotate to portrait it'll stick to the landscape height. Cheers!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171019-023128.png
    Screenshot_20171019-023128.png
    121.2 KB · Views: 425
  • Screenshot_20171019-023111.png
    Screenshot_20171019-023111.png
    162 KB · Views: 419

b.roid

Jul 13, 2011
NW
been testing out this browser and i like how it works.

anyway bookmarks can accessed easier? seems hard to get to bookmarks.

Magissia

May 9, 2012
Hello, first post talks about Android 4.4, but play store claims your browser is not compatible, i'm using a armeabi-v7a SoC (Tegra 2, without neon support) with Android 4.4.4.

I'm interested by a secure browser because Google dropped support for my CPU arch it seems.

Reactions: Aerotinge

fred_gaou

Jul 25, 2014
Here and there
Just testing this browser and with alpha or beta if tabs and controls are on top, menu will be cut off. It's ok while using stable version.

With stable version and maybe later:
- Sometimes while browsing through Peregrine settings, some settings page won't load until you refresh them.
- Go to full screen mode keeps the notification bar and get back to normal makes tabs and controls cut off and you can not using tabs anymore until you refresh.

Besides that, it's so much faster than chrome.

Feature request:
- Night mode: add domain to an exception list via menu.
- Quick safe browsing ON/Off menu entry or disable it for some domain. If it's ON, some site fails to render all parts (ex: https://twog.fr/le-comptwoir-du-26-janvier-2018-les-meilleurs-tweets/amp)
- If users can't access Peregrine settings (empty page on alpha version), they should be informed that is may be caused by an adblocker app like Blokada and should add Peregrine to white list to fix this.

Last edited:

Feliph-Cr

Feb 28, 2018
It's simply top!! I have only one suggestion for desktop mode: "Permanent desktop mode"--to open all current tabs and new tabs in desktop view mode by default.(configurable--on/off--via settings).
If you update the app in the future, consider this option.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Code:
    *** Disclaimer ***
    I am not responsible for anything you do (like hacking, visiting illegal websites, etc.) with this browser. 
    *** end ***

What is Peregrine Browser?

Peregrine Browser is one of the most lightweight webbrowsers available.
    Download sizes are:
    Smaller than 200kb on Android 4.4 KitKat.
    Smaller than 100kb on Android 5.0 Lollipop and higher.
    I focus the development of this browser on it's size, speed, security and it's night mode.

Features

Night mode, browse the web better at night.
    Ad blocking, to get rid of those annoying ads.
    Safe Browsing and Secure Connect, browse the web more secure.
    Page Acceleration, to view faster versions of websites.
    Private tabs, for if you don't want someone to view some sites in your history.
    Desktop mode, for if you prefer the PC version of websites.
    • Choose between 7 of the most used search engines.
    Tabs and urlbar at the bottom of your screen, useful if you want to reach it on big phones.
    Developer tools, useful for if your website isn't working on phones and you want to know why.
    Permission handling, for if you want to allow website A to view your location, but website B not.

Download

You can download Peregrine Browser on XDA-Labs: https://labs.xda-developers.com/store/app/com.marc.browse
    You can also download Peregrine Browser on the Google Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.marc.browse

FAQ

Q: On which Android versions does this work?
    A: Android 4.4 KitKat and Android 5 Lollipop and higher. You'll also need WebView (Android 5 & 6) or Google Chrome (Android 7+) to run on the latest version (older versions probably work, but are not supported).

Q: Peregrine Browser says it runs on Chrome 42. When will you upgrade to Chrome x?
    A: Peregrine Browser uses the WebView component from the system.
    It is recomended that you use the WebView from Google (Android 5+), because it will be updated to the latest version.
    On Android 7+, Google Chrome could also be used as WebView component.
    Therefore, Google needs to update that and not me.

Q: A website I want to visit won't open.
    A: We block some websites because of their content (for example, sites that could contain malware). Try disabling AdBlock or Safe Browsing.

Please include logs and basic information about your phone, Android version, Google/AOSP WebView/Chrome + version in your bug reports.

XDA:DevDB Information
    Peregrine Browser, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    MarcTheDragon

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 2.0.0-1
    Stable Release Date: 2017-04-04
    Current Beta Version: 2.0.0-1
    Beta Release Date: 2017-04-04

Created 2016-07-05
    Last Updated 2017-04-22
    Browse 0.9.3 update changelog

- Improvements in design, speed, stability and security.
    - Extensions are now integrated in the settings
    - Removed some apps that didn't support https from the Store.
    - Added some new apps to the store.
    - Removed useless code (around 15 kB).
    - Changed package name, which will cause removal of all your data. If you want to keep your data, change to the stable version.
    - Http websites are now marked as unsafe.
    - When an error occurs, the app wil restart with an option to send error data.
    Browse 0.9.1 / 901011(1) Alpha update changelog

- New menu
    - Speed improvements
    - Bugfixes
    - Design update
    - Security updates
    - Autoplay default off
    - History
    - Make Version Info a not pre-installed app
    - New home icon which matches with Android 7.0 Nougat
    - App now around 100KB (from the 900KB)
    - AdBlock now default on
    - You can change your homepage

With this update the tabbar is moved to the bottom, so you can reach it better on big devices and it is done too for a better design.

Edit:
    Update now in beta channel too 0.9.1_r11 / 901011(2)
    Awsome,,
    Like metro small app
    Can you add option remove analog clock?

Thanks for your feedback.
    An option to remove the analog clock will be added in the next update.
    Browse is now available to download in the Google Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.marc.browse
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone