[APP][5.0+] Peregrine Browser

Search This thread

bdtoole

Oct 30, 2016
Here's an oddity I've noticed with Night Mode, however I'm not entirely sure how to best describe it. When I have "Use night mode on websites" enabled, when I load a site, there is a brief flash where the page renders in regular mode first, then less than a second later, it applies the night mode rendering. I don't know if this is something to due with the night mode implementation, or if this is something that is specific to my older device (LG G3).

A couple feature requests:
Forward navigation
Settings open in new tab instead of in focused tab

Reactions: MarcTheDragon

MarcTheDragon

Dec 31, 2013
Here's an oddity I've noticed with Night Mode, however I'm not entirely sure how to best describe it. When I have "Use night mode on websites" enabled, when I load a site, there is a brief flash where the page renders in regular mode first, then less than a second later, it applies the night mode rendering. I don't know if this is something to due with the night mode implementation, or if this is something that is specific to my older device (LG G3).

A couple feature requests:
Forward navigation
Settings open in new tab instead of in focused tab

It has to do with the night mode implementation. I can't make the night mode render earlier, however I can try to show a black square above the website when it is loading.

You can already go forward. When you press back on a website, a forward option should appear in the menu below reload (if not then there's a bug somewhere).

The settings part has just been implemented in an internal build.

bdtoole

Oct 30, 2016
It has to do with the night mode implementation. I can't make the night mode render earlier, however I can try to show a black square above the website when it is loading.

You can already go forward. When you press back on a website, a forward option should appear in the menu below reload (if not then there's a bug somewhere).

The settings part has just been implemented in an internal build.

Thanks for the speedy response! A black square above the website during load would probably work, but that does seem a little hack-y. Unfortunately, I don't have any good suggestions. Night mode in general seems to be a complex piece for browsers. CAF browsers seem to constantly have issues with it, and the Lightning Browser implementation doesn't seem to have any delays when rendering like that, however it inverts colors which will often cause issues with images and videos not properly inverting.

The Forward arrow is there, so no bug - I didn't think to check under the menu after going backwards like that. Are there any plans to bring back/forward controls into the main screen rather than keeping it under the menu?

Here's another potential feature idea. Currently, when you attempt to close the last tab, the browser reloads the Quick access tab. Perhaps make it so closing the last tab will close the browser, as well.

MarcTheDragon

Dec 31, 2013
Thanks for the speedy response! A black square above the website during load would probably work, but that does seem a little hack-y. Unfortunately, I don't have any good suggestions. Night mode in general seems to be a complex piece for browsers. CAF browsers seem to constantly have issues with it, and the Lightning Browser implementation doesn't seem to have any delays when rendering like that, however it inverts colors which will often cause issues with images and videos not properly inverting.

The Forward arrow is there, so no bug - I didn't think to check under the menu after going backwards like that. Are there any plans to bring back/forward controls into the main screen rather than keeping it under the menu?

Here's another potential feature idea. Currently, when you attempt to close the last tab, the browser reloads the Quick access tab. Perhaps make it so closing the last tab will close the browser, as well.

As you might have seen, I published version 2.0.1 to XDA Labs and the Play Store. This brings some bugfixes and minor changes, including the last one you just suggested.
Here's a changelog:

Bugfixes:
- Fix bug where links from other apps didn't open (http://http// bug). [When the browser failed to load https://, it added http:// to the original url, where http:// already was present.]
- Fix night mode enabling on incorrect times. [New way to check if the current time is between the start time and end time]
- Fix night mode time setting reverting to default value. [Translations were resetting the night mode times to the default values.]
- Fixed some bugs with tabs. [Sometimes 2 tabs were displayed one the screen, causing a sort of multi-window mode. If a tab was closed, a new tab wouldn't open by default sometimes]

Other:
- Settings are now opened in a new tab instead of the current one.
- When the last tab is closed, the browser will close now too (instead of opening a new tab).

I'm currently testing a way to hide the flash before night mode is being rendered on webpages and a way to add any webpage to the quick access screen.
Back/forward controls might be added to the main screen, but I don't know when this will be implemented.

Reactions: bdtoole

bdtoole

Oct 30, 2016
This is great - I haven't had time to check yet today, but I'll download the new version now!

Two additional thoughts regarding the Night mode:
1. Any plans to implement or modify Night mode for AMOLED screens (true black allowing for the disabled pixels as opposed to a darker theme)?
2. One thing that threw me for a bit of a loop initially is that at first glance on a Google search results screen in night mode, it seemed like the article headers were a bit more muted, which made the text preview relatively look a bit more bold. This ultimately comes down to personal preference, but have you considered any adjustments there to make the headers "pop" a bit more to the eye compared to the text previews? This one is more my musings out loud, so that might not make too much sense.

A few others thoughts, based on various requests and comments I've seen for other browsers. Any plans on implementing any of the following?
1. Retention of sessions or opening back up to the previously closed tab(s)
2. Changing the default or setting a custom start page
3. Setting a custom search engine (not just changing to those selected, but allowing for user-defined query URLs

MarcTheDragon

Dec 31, 2013
This is great - I haven't had time to check yet today, but I'll download the new version now!

Two additional thoughts regarding the Night mode:
1. Any plans to implement or modify Night mode for AMOLED screens (true black allowing for the disabled pixels as opposed to a darker theme)?
2. One thing that threw me for a bit of a loop initially is that at first glance on a Google search results screen in night mode, it seemed like the article headers were a bit more muted, which made the text preview relatively look a bit more bold. This ultimately comes down to personal preference, but have you considered any adjustments there to make the headers "pop" a bit more to the eye compared to the text previews? This one is more my musings out loud, so that might not make too much sense.

A few others thoughts, based on various requests and comments I've seen for other browsers. Any plans on implementing any of the following?
1. Retention of sessions or opening back up to the previously closed tab(s)
2. Changing the default or setting a custom start page
3. Setting a custom search engine (not just changing to those selected, but allowing for user-defined query URLs

Night mode:
1. This has been requested before and is now implemented in internal builds.
2. This is because the text was white, while links where grey in night mode. Links normally appear as blue (without night mode), but I changed this colour to green for night mode.

The others are on the list to get added in the future.

bdtoole

Oct 30, 2016
Night mode:
1. This has been requested before and is now implemented in internal builds.
2. This is because the text was white, while links where grey in night mode. Links normally appear as blue (without night mode), but I changed this colour to green for night mode.

The others are on the list to get added in the future.

Great - looking forward to the next release!

Out of curiosity, what is the primary difference between the stable and beta versions at this time? The primary version numbers are the same, and the changelog looks identical. Is there a big difference between the two?

Also, what is the intended purpose behind the Collections page, and where is that list populated from? Is that just to allow the addition of preset sites to the Quick Access screen, or do you have a different planned use for that? Many of the options there seem a bit redundant with apps that are either included by default or available for download from the Play store (Drive, Outlook, Maps, Photos, and the three options under the Social sections, etc). I'm not quite sure how much use they'd see in the browser itself as opposed to standalone apps.

MarcTheDragon

Dec 31, 2013
Great - looking forward to the next release!

Out of curiosity, what is the primary difference between the stable and beta versions at this time? The primary version numbers are the same, and the changelog looks identical. Is there a big difference between the two?

Also, what is the intended purpose behind the Collections page, and where is that list populated from? Is that just to allow the addition of preset sites to the Quick Access screen, or do you have a different planned use for that? Many of the options there seem a bit redundant with apps that are either included by default or available for download from the Play store (Drive, Outlook, Maps, Photos, and the three options under the Social sections, etc). I'm not quite sure how much use they'd see in the browser itself as opposed to standalone apps.

There's no difference between the stable and beta versions at this time.
The Collections (first called the Store) was originally meant for older phones who can't run those apps from the Play Store or have limited storage available, however due to limitations the browser only works on Android 5 and higher. Since the code to add any website to the quick access screen isn't compatible with the code for the Collections, the Collections has been removed in internal versions.

MarcTheDragon

Dec 31, 2013
An update has rolled out to beta, version 2.0.2-1.
Changelog:
- The flash when loading webpages in night mode is now hidden.
- Webpages now have black backgrounds in night mode (for OLED screens)
- Links in night mode are green now.
- You can add any website to the quick access screen.

bdtoole

Oct 30, 2016
Some notes:

1. The new night mode theme is great!
2. The flash is gone most of the time. I have noticed it rarely every now and then, but it seems to be more likely to happen on mobile data than on wifi. Unfortunately, not easily reproducible
3. Noticed an issue with night mode rendering of websites. I performed a google search and clicked on a link that took me to the following page: google.com/amp/theverge.com/platform/amp/2017/4/12/15279920/nintend-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-majoras-mask-amiibo-fierce-deity. This page did not render in night mode, however removing the initial google.com/amp/ and instead going to theverge.com/platform/amp/2017/4/12/15279920/nintend-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-majoras-mask-amiibo-fierce-deity rendered as expected. Perhaps something to do with the routing from a Google search result?
4. I've identified a potential page flow issue on some sites (I'm guessing on those with multiple selectable/fillable elements to them). For an example, go to the following URL and then click on "Refine": roberthalf.com/technology/jobs/database/97068. The resulting page has overlapping text, drop-down menus, and radio buttons.

A couple of additional feature requests/thoughts:
1. When pasting a URL in, I've noticed that I often have to tap in the box again to bring up my keyboard so I can hit enter. Perhaps implement a "paste and go" option
2. I'm a bit torn on this idea - part of me likes the idea that pressing the edit button on Quick Access when you have nothing there tells you how to add to the page, but another part of me things it might be worth hiding the edit button when there's nothing saved to Quick Access
3. For the forward/backward navigation, you could add an option in settings to enable or disable swiping right/left from the edges to navigate forward/backward rather than adding buttons on the screen. Would save some real-estate while allowing the option for users to have the edge navigation
4. It would also be nice to be able to highlight a URL that is not a hyperlink and open in a new tab from the long press context menu the way you can with a link. I'm not quite sure how easy it would be to detect that, though.

Whileitlasted

Nov 14, 2012
Downloaded the app from the labs and have to say it's actually a great app (I particularly like the idea of having the address link on bottom as I do have a big phone).

A few things that I notice: 1. When in night mode, there is a flash on every page, sometime it's so fast it's a blink, occasionally it lasts a full second. 2. The pages freeze from time to time. 3. When in incognito mode, I got log out from sites including XDA when I reply or comment, nor can I access my profile, setting etc. 4. Certain sites ask for whether I wanna use the mobile version after I entered it and I clicked yes but the sites returned to full site and I got asked again on every page I browse.

MarcTheDragon

Dec 31, 2013
New beta version

Some notes:

1. The new night mode theme is great!
2. The flash is gone most of the time. I have noticed it rarely every now and then, but it seems to be more likely to happen on mobile data than on wifi. Unfortunately, not easily reproducible
3. Noticed an issue with night mode rendering of websites. I performed a google search and clicked on a link that took me to the following page: google.com/amp/theverge.com/platform/amp/2017/4/12/15279920/nintend-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-majoras-mask-amiibo-fierce-deity. This page did not render in night mode, however removing the initial google.com/amp/ and instead going to theverge.com/platform/amp/2017/4/12/15279920/nintend-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-majoras-mask-amiibo-fierce-deity rendered as expected. Perhaps something to do with the routing from a Google search result?
4. I've identified a potential page flow issue on some sites (I'm guessing on those with multiple selectable/fillable elements to them). For an example, go to the following URL and then click on "Refine": roberthalf.com/technology/jobs/database/97068. The resulting page has overlapping text, drop-down menus, and radio buttons.

A couple of additional feature requests/thoughts:
1. When pasting a URL in, I've noticed that I often have to tap in the box again to bring up my keyboard so I can hit enter. Perhaps implement a "paste and go" option
2. I'm a bit torn on this idea - part of me likes the idea that pressing the edit button on Quick Access when you have nothing there tells you how to add to the page, but another part of me things it might be worth hiding the edit button when there's nothing saved to Quick Access
3. For the forward/backward navigation, you could add an option in settings to enable or disable swiping right/left from the edges to navigate forward/backward rather than adding buttons on the screen. Would save some real-estate while allowing the option for users to have the edge navigation
4. It would also be nice to be able to highlight a URL that is not a hyperlink and open in a new tab from the long press context menu the way you can with a link. I'm not quite sure how easy it would be to detect that, though.

Notes:
3. Unfortunately, so called "iframes" - where you can load a website inside a website - do currently not work on night mode. I'll look if I can do something about this.
4. I don't see an issue on that page on my phones.

Others:
1. I will look if I can add this somehow.
2. Implemented in the latest beta.
3. This will be a difficult one. I could try it if I finished features and bugfixes.
4. Do you mean like transforming this: https://www.xda-developers.com/ into https://www.xda-developers.com/ on webpages?
-----------------
Downloaded the app from the labs and have to say it's actually a great app (I particularly like the idea of having the address link on bottom as I do have a big phone).

A few things that I notice: 1. When in night mode, there is a flash on every page, sometime it's so fast it's a blink, occasionally it lasts a full second. 2. The pages freeze from time to time. 3. When in incognito mode, I got log out from sites including XDA when I reply or comment, nor can I access my profile, setting etc. 4. Certain sites ask for whether I wanna use the mobile version after I entered it and I clicked yes but the sites returned to full site and I got asked again on every page I browse.

1. It should occur less in the latest beta, however there's still a chance you see it. I will try to fix further issues with night mode.
2. I haven't noticed any issue with this so far, only XDA-developers seems to load a bit slow for me sometimes, but doesn't freeze.
3. Should be fixed in the latest beta.
4. I don't know why this happens for you (maybe because you have a big phone?), but this isn't occurring for me and I don't know why this happens.
-----------------
Changes in the latest beta version include:
- Some changes to App Shortcuts.
- Security enhancement in cookie handling.
- Experimental support for Android 4.4 KitKat (in the alpha version on XDA and beta version on the Google Play)
- Bugfixes (including bug where pages kept reloading in a loop and the Source Code not loading in the Developer tools).
(I forget to include most of the changes when I add the changelog on XDA Labs or the Google Play)

bdtoole

Oct 30, 2016
Regarding my text flow issue, perhaps it has to do with my phone and resolution somehow, as well. I'm on an LG G3, and I'm including a screenshot of how it renders for me for your reference.

For the hyperlinks, that would work if it's easy to implement.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-04-22-09-31-19.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-04-22-09-31-19.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 158

MarcTheDragon

Dec 31, 2013
Regarding my text flow issue, perhaps it has to do with my phone and resolution somehow, as well. I'm on an LG G3, and I'm including a screenshot of how it renders for me for your reference.

For the hyperlinks, that would work if it's easy to implement.

I see it's an issue with night mode (I only tested it on day mode). I will work on it.

bdtoole

Oct 30, 2016
I see it's an issue with night mode (I only tested it on day mode). I will work on it.

Awesome, thanks!

While I'm thinking about it, here's a feature request: highlight a word or phrase, then in the context menu, add an option to search for the highlighted word or phrase in a new tab.

Edit: Also while thinking about it, perhaps for those iframes, it would be possible to route to the"true" page instead of the"wrapper" page?

Last edited:

murasaki.bb

Feb 1, 2011
Thank you. This is the best browser i`ve tried. Is there a way to disable the automatic coloring of the adressbar and navbar? They look beautiful in teal, as you designed them and i wish to keep them like that.

bdtoole

Oct 30, 2016
Possible new bug identified - some URLs don't appear to be getting resolved properly. To recreate, perform the following steps:

1. Google search for axolotl different sizes
2. Select the first link that shows up (should be a Caudata.org result) - 404 Not Found error received
3. Navigate back one screen to the search results, then select the link again - URL is properly resolved and the page loads as expected

MarcTheDragon

Dec 31, 2013
Awesome, thanks!

While I'm thinking about it, here's a feature request: highlight a word or phrase, then in the context menu, add an option to search for the highlighted word or phrase in a new tab.

Edit: Also while thinking about it, perhaps for those iframes, it would be possible to route to the"true" page instead of the"wrapper" page?
Possible new bug identified - some URLs don't appear to be getting resolved properly. To recreate, perform the following steps:

1. Google search for axolotl different sizes
2. Select the first link that shows up (should be a Caudata.org result) - 404 Not Found error received
3. Navigate back one screen to the search results, then select the link again - URL is properly resolved and the page loads as expected

I'll look at it.

Thank you. This is the best browser i`ve tried. Is there a way to disable the automatic coloring of the adressbar and navbar? They look beautiful in teal, as you designed them and i wish to keep them like that.

Unfortunately, this is not possible yet. I'll look if I can add a setting for that.

Last edited:

Whileitlasted

Nov 14, 2012
I tend to visit websites through google, e.g. I type XDA Peregrine Browser on the address bar and visit this site from the google results; however I find that I am not able to access certain pages such as Wikipedia or Goodreads or Watchuseek through this method, when I click the link, the page becomes blank and doesn't load. I use incognito all the time.

Last edited:

MarcTheDragon

Dec 31, 2013
I tend to visit websites through google, e.g. I type XDA Peregrine Browser on the address bar and visit this site from the google results; however I find that I am not able to access certain pages such as Wikipedia or Goodreads or Watchuseek through this method, when I click the link, the page becomes blank and doesn't load. I use incognito all the time.

This is a known bug. I have a possible fix, however I'm still testing if it works.

Reactions: Gborg3

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Code:
    *** Disclaimer ***
    I am not responsible for anything you do (like hacking, visiting illegal websites, etc.) with this browser. 
    *** end ***

What is Peregrine Browser?

Peregrine Browser is one of the most lightweight webbrowsers available.
    Download sizes are:
    Smaller than 200kb on Android 4.4 KitKat.
    Smaller than 100kb on Android 5.0 Lollipop and higher.
    I focus the development of this browser on it's size, speed, security and it's night mode.

Features

Night mode, browse the web better at night.
    Ad blocking, to get rid of those annoying ads.
    Safe Browsing and Secure Connect, browse the web more secure.
    Page Acceleration, to view faster versions of websites.
    Private tabs, for if you don't want someone to view some sites in your history.
    Desktop mode, for if you prefer the PC version of websites.
    • Choose between 7 of the most used search engines.
    Tabs and urlbar at the bottom of your screen, useful if you want to reach it on big phones.
    Developer tools, useful for if your website isn't working on phones and you want to know why.
    Permission handling, for if you want to allow website A to view your location, but website B not.

Download

You can download Peregrine Browser on XDA-Labs: https://labs.xda-developers.com/store/app/com.marc.browse
    You can also download Peregrine Browser on the Google Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.marc.browse

FAQ

Q: On which Android versions does this work?
    A: Android 4.4 KitKat and Android 5 Lollipop and higher. You'll also need WebView (Android 5 & 6) or Google Chrome (Android 7+) to run on the latest version (older versions probably work, but are not supported).

Q: Peregrine Browser says it runs on Chrome 42. When will you upgrade to Chrome x?
    A: Peregrine Browser uses the WebView component from the system.
    It is recomended that you use the WebView from Google (Android 5+), because it will be updated to the latest version.
    On Android 7+, Google Chrome could also be used as WebView component.
    Therefore, Google needs to update that and not me.

Q: A website I want to visit won't open.
    A: We block some websites because of their content (for example, sites that could contain malware). Try disabling AdBlock or Safe Browsing.

Please include logs and basic information about your phone, Android version, Google/AOSP WebView/Chrome + version in your bug reports.

XDA:DevDB Information
    Peregrine Browser, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    MarcTheDragon

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 2.0.0-1
    Stable Release Date: 2017-04-04
    Current Beta Version: 2.0.0-1
    Beta Release Date: 2017-04-04

Created 2016-07-05
    Last Updated 2017-04-22
    Browse 0.9.3 update changelog

- Improvements in design, speed, stability and security.
    - Extensions are now integrated in the settings
    - Removed some apps that didn't support https from the Store.
    - Added some new apps to the store.
    - Removed useless code (around 15 kB).
    - Changed package name, which will cause removal of all your data. If you want to keep your data, change to the stable version.
    - Http websites are now marked as unsafe.
    - When an error occurs, the app wil restart with an option to send error data.
    Browse 0.9.1 / 901011(1) Alpha update changelog

- New menu
    - Speed improvements
    - Bugfixes
    - Design update
    - Security updates
    - Autoplay default off
    - History
    - Make Version Info a not pre-installed app
    - New home icon which matches with Android 7.0 Nougat
    - App now around 100KB (from the 900KB)
    - AdBlock now default on
    - You can change your homepage

With this update the tabbar is moved to the bottom, so you can reach it better on big devices and it is done too for a better design.

Edit:
    Update now in beta channel too 0.9.1_r11 / 901011(2)
    Awsome,,
    Like metro small app
    Can you add option remove analog clock?

Thanks for your feedback.
    An option to remove the analog clock will be added in the next update.
    Browse is now available to download in the Google Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.marc.browse