• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[APP][5.0+][ROOT] Play Music Exporter

Search This thread

jcgruenhage

Sep 29, 2016
Kar
Hey everybody,

some of you might have known this app, but that hasn't been updated in a while. I therefore decided to fork the "new" beta a few months back, and I got that working again and extended it a bit.

What is it?

Basically, it's an app that takes the cached and downloaded songs of Google Play Music, adds ID3 tags to them from the database of GPM, searches for covers online, and saves all that together in an MP3 wherever you want.

Bug reports and Feature Requests:

If you have any questions, feel free to ask here, or in the matrix discussion room. If you find any bugs, or have feature requests, please check the issue tracker on github, if you can't find it, report it there, post in this thread, or write a message in the discussion room linked above.

Download:

You can download the app either on F-Droid, or XDA-Labs. Please note though, that the release to F-Droid is a bit faster, since it is automatic, and I only add a release on XDA-Labs, after it has been successfully published to F-Droid.

XDA:DevDB Information
Play Music Exporter, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
jcgruenhage, Arcus92
Source Code: https://github.com/jcgruenhage/PlayMusicExporter

Version Information

Created 2017-03-19
Last Updated 2017-03-23

Last edited:

fatanee

Mar 21, 2017
Hey jcgruenhage! Many thanks for the app, that helps you to get all your cached music from Google Play Music All Access. And also, many thanks for the tipp, that it is possible to get the unprotected mp3 directly on PC from GMPAA with help of Remix OS Player.

You are great!

nyr2k2

Sep 19, 2012
Washington, DC
I love the concept of this app, however I'm having issues. No matter where I set the export location (internal or external) or where Google has the music saved (again, internal or external), the app gets through a few hundred songs then seems to freeze on one randomly. The app doesn't crash or give me an error, it just seems to stop working. This is regardless of whether the device is awake, asleep, running other apps, running nothing, etc. It seems to move progressively slower in exporting each song until it just decides to stop.

Verizon Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge running stock rooted Marshmallow.

Edit: saw your request for issues to be posted on Git. Sorry.

jcgruenhage

Sep 29, 2016
Kar

Well, I guess if I post this here, I should be able to check every now and then, just changed the description above, post issues wherever you want, I'll collect them on github ^^

On to your issue however: There have been a few people reporting this on the original app, and so far, I have not found the cause. However, using the automatic export, I have seen a few hundred songs getting exported without any delay, so maybe unifying the export calls of these two operations might help.

NeonSauce

Feb 24, 2017
I sometimes buy albums from Google to use on me iPod (iTunes is ehh) and having to manually add meta-data to each song is tedious. This app solves that perfectly.
Thank you very much for this, works well on phh's superuser :D

Dudash

Mar 28, 2010
Cincinnati
I have a question.. whats the difference between this app and Music Mate?
Music Mate doesn't require root and I've been using it for years to download music added to my library from All Access and then move it to my computer, DRM free.

jcgruenhage

Sep 29, 2016
Kar
I'm on 11.6. Everything else works fine.

Sent from my Moto G4 Play using XDA Labs

I also have that problem, and I will look into that.

I am not root, how come i need to be root to have "play music exporter",thanks cloclo10000

This app reads the metadata and songs out of the private memory of Play Music, which is only accessible with root.

I have a question.. whats the difference between this app and Music Mate?
Music Mate doesn't require root and I've been using it for years to download music added to my library from All Access and then move it to my computer, DRM free.

Music Mate is different in a two key points:
  1. Closed Source and "needs" a lot of permissions, in addition to costing money.
  2. Interacts with the Google Servers instead of the local storage.

The first one is a big problem for privacy reasons, you're giving yet another company data about you, that they can use for whatever they want. The second is even worse, since that means that Google can find out about you ripping music/violating their terms of service, without even looking on your phone. This is true for any app using unofficial Play Music APIs.

If you are going to use something like that, I'd recommend GMusicProxyGui. That is free, open source, and probably even uses the same backend (gmusicproxy) for downloading the songs.

Dudash

Mar 28, 2010
Cincinnati
Music Mate is different in a two key points:
  1. Closed Source and "needs" a lot of permissions, in addition to costing money.
  2. Interacts with the Google Servers instead of the local storage.

The first one is a big problem for privacy reasons, you're giving yet another company data about you, that they can use for whatever they want. The second is even worse, since that means that Google can find out about you ripping music/violating their terms of service, without even looking on your phone. This is true for any app using unofficial Play Music APIs.

If you are going to use something like that, I'd recommend GMusicProxyGui. That is free, open source, and probably even uses the same backend (gmusicproxy) for downloading the songs.

Ah true true. I didn't even think about that. I used to use a program for Windows (Song Spout) that did basically the same thing and cost $10 a year (originally). It probably used the same method as Music Mate.

I've been using Music Mate because I've been running my phone unrooted for a while due to that damned Safety Net. Thankfully, my tablet is in the "couldn't care less about Safety Net" group so this will work on it.

Thanks for updating this app. :good:

Last edited:

jcgruenhage

Sep 29, 2016
Kar
Ah true true. I didn't even think about that. I used to use a program for Windows (Song Spout) that did basically the same thing and cost $10 a year (originally). It probably used the same method as Music Mate.

I've been using Music Mate because I've been running my phone unrooted for a while due to that damned Safety Net. Thankfully, my tablet is in the "couldn't care less about Safety Net" group so this will work on it.

Thanks for updating this app. :good:

No problem, glad you like it :D

About SafetyNet, that passes fine on my phone (OP3) with Lineage OS and MagiskSU, you might want to check that out ^^

Reactions: NinjaPlease

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey everybody,

some of you might have known this app, but that hasn't been updated in a while. I therefore decided to fork the "new" beta a few months back, and I got that working again and extended it a bit.

What is it?

Basically, it's an app that takes the cached and downloaded songs of Google Play Music, adds ID3 tags to them from the database of GPM, searches for covers online, and saves all that together in an MP3 wherever you want.

Bug reports and Feature Requests:

If you have any questions, feel free to ask here, or in the matrix discussion room. If you find any bugs, or have feature requests, please check the issue tracker on github, if you can't find it, report it there, post in this thread, or write a message in the discussion room linked above.

Download:

You can download the app either on F-Droid, or XDA-Labs. Please note though, that the release to F-Droid is a bit faster, since it is automatic, and I only add a release on XDA-Labs, after it has been successfully published to F-Droid.

XDA:DevDB Information
    Play Music Exporter, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    jcgruenhage, Arcus92
    Source Code: https://github.com/jcgruenhage/PlayMusicExporter

Version Information

Created 2017-03-19
    Last Updated 2017-03-23
    Excellent work reviving a really useful app!

A few things I think this app could do with, which the original app had to some extent, are:

1. The ability to select and export whole albums in one click, rater than going into each album and selecting all tracks
    2. An indication of which tracks and albums have already been exported; otherwise if you're manually exporting there is no way of telling what's been exported and not
    3. The ability to initiate the save/export from the album/artist list view once a selection across multiple albums has been made

I really like the automated feature :good:
    Yeah, plus I for one would like an nice UI to use... Had a look at Youtube-dl and it's definately not my cup of tea.
    I would like an app similar to Music Exporter.
    Yea. Maybe once I get a new laptop I'll use this as a way to learn java and see if I can't get something working, however the app is pretty complex so I doubt I'll be able to get it working.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using XDA Labs

Well, I guess if I post this here, I should be able to check every now and then, just changed the description above, post issues wherever you want, I'll collect them on github ^^

On to your issue however: There have been a few people reporting this on the original app, and so far, I have not found the cause. However, using the automatic export, I have seen a few hundred songs getting exported without any delay, so maybe unifying the export calls of these two operations might help.
    Doesn't work with MagiskSU.