[APP][5.0+] Taskbar - PC-style productivity for Android

Search This thread

farmerbb

Oct 9, 2011
Somewhere, Utah

Taskbar puts a start menu and recent apps tray on top of your screen that's accessible at any time, increasing your productivity and turning your Android tablet (or phone) into a real multitasking machine!

On devices running Android 7.0+, Taskbar can also launch apps in freeform windows for a PC-like experience! No root required! (see below for instructions)

Taskbar is also fully supported on Chrome OS - use Taskbar as a secondary Android app launcher on your Chromebook!

Features

• Start menu - shows you all applications installed on the device, configurable as a list or as a grid
• Recent apps tray - shows your most recently used apps and lets you easily switch between them
• Collapsible and hideable - show it when you need it, hide it when you don't
• Many different configuration options - customize Taskbar however you want
• Pin favorite apps or block the ones you don't want to see
• Designed with keyboard and mouse in mind
• 100% free, open source, and no ads

Freeform window mode (Android 7.0+)

Taskbar lets you launch apps in freeform floating windows on Android 7.0+ devices. No root access is required, although Android 8.0+ devices require an adb shell command to be run during initial setup.

Simply follow these steps to configure your device for launching apps in freeform mode:

1. Check the box for "Freeform window support" inside the Taskbar app
2. Follow the directions that appear in the pop-up to enable the proper settings on your device (one-time setup)
3. Go to your device's recent apps page and clear all recent apps
4. Start Taskbar, then select an app to launch it in a freeform window

For more information and detailed instructions, click "Help & instructions for freeform mode" inside the Taskbar app.

Download

Download Taskbar on the Play Store
Download Taskbar on F-Droid

It's about time I made an xda thread for this :laugh: Feedback is appreciated!

XDA:DevDB Information
Taskbar, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
farmerbb
Source Code: https://github.com/farmerbb/Taskbar/

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 3.9
Stable Release Date: 2018-03-10

Created 2016-12-12
Last Updated 2018-08-12

MirzaAwais

Feb 20, 2014
OnePlus 7T
Good work bro keep it up. Installed it and enjoying the ride as it's great concept as launcher's & dock is useless now :). Issues and suggestions Will be post if any.

Thanks for the app.

Sent from my LG-D858 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: farmerbb

xXLosstarotXx

Sep 12, 2014
Caracas
This is an amazing app whose concept can revolutionize the android experience. With KK I used to download Xposed and install XHaloFloatingWindow and Floating notifications just to mimic a PC desktop. Now I can do something similar with this app and Nougat! Thanks, OP!

It would be great if the Taskbar overlay can support the Extended Desktop feature. I use an unofficial build of LineageOS, and when you open an app in a freeform window, the nav bar appears and it doesn't hide. And when you close all windows, the overlay and the nav bar stay, making it impossible to use, for example, gestures in your home screen. I use Nova Launcher, and in order to open the app drawer, I use a double tap gesture. So I have to go to the Taskbar settings, disable it, and then I can access my app drawer as usual. Is it possible for the overlay to automatically close when there are no freeform windows opened?

Also, is there a way to implement a shortcut to toggle off the taskbar without opening the app? Like greenify hibernation, that can be even set with a gesture in nova.

If the overlay and nav bar issues can be fixed, and we can somehow enable a shortcut use the taskbar whenever we want, this is going to be my favorite app from now on ?

Thanks again, OP. I hope this feedback helps!

farmerbb

Oct 9, 2011
Somewhere, Utah
This is an amazing app whose concept can revolutionize the android experience. With KK I used to download Xposed and install XHaloFloatingWindow and Floating notifications just to mimic a PC desktop. Now I can do something similar with this app and Nougat! Thanks, OP!

It would be great if the Taskbar overlay can support the Extended Desktop feature. I use an unofficial build of LineageOS, and when you open an app in a freeform window, the nav bar appears and it doesn't hide. And when you close all windows, the overlay and the nav bar stay, making it impossible to use, for example, gestures in your home screen. I use Nova Launcher, and in order to open the app drawer, I use a double tap gesture. So I have to go to the Taskbar settings, disable it, and then I can access my app drawer as usual. Is it possible for the overlay to automatically close when there are no freeform windows opened?

Also, is there a way to implement a shortcut to toggle off the taskbar without opening the app? Like greenify hibernation, that can be even set with a gesture in nova.

If the overlay and nav bar issues can be fixed, and we can somehow enable a shortcut use the taskbar whenever we want, this is going to be my favorite app from now on ?

Thanks again, OP. I hope this feedback helps!

Thanks for your feedback!

Unfortunately, due to System UI restrictions that Google has put in place for multi-window mode, hiding the status/navigation bars is not possible while apps are running in freeform mode. What you could do, though, is disable the navigation bar entirely (through build.prop) and then use an app such as Simple Control to provide an alternate implementation of the software keys.

Taskbar staying open even after all freeform mode windows have been closed is by design. If it's not set as your default launcher, though, you can still press the home button to collapse Taskbar and exit freeform mode. (You're not the only one that has asked about this, so I might make this an option in a future version :))

You can already turn off the Taskbar by either: pressing the "Quit" button in the notification, or by long-pressing the app drawer icon and selecting "Quit". I already have a "Start Taskbar" homescreen shortcut for Android 7.1+ devices - perhaps I should change this to an on/off toggle instead?

Last edited:

xXLosstarotXx

Sep 12, 2014
Caracas
Unfortunately, due to System UI restrictions that Google has put in place for multi-window mode, hiding the status/navigation bars is not possible while apps are running in freeform mode. What you could do, though, is disable the navigation bar entirely (through build.prop) and then use an app such as Simple Control to provide an alternate implementation of the software keys.

Perfect, I'll use a third-party nav bar instead, I forgot it was possible to disable the system one via build.prop.

You can already turn off the Taskbar by either: pressing the "Quit" button in the notification, or by long-pressing the app drawer icon and selecting "Quit". I already have a "Start Taskbar" homescreen shortcut for Android 7.1+ devices - perhaps I should change this to an on/off toggle instead?

A toggle is a great idea, and if in the future it's possible to add support so it can be set with a Nova gesture or a similar app, we won't need a dock anymore ?

Another thing I saw while checking the app was that when you move any window to one side of the screen it automatically pins like in split mode. Is there a way to avoid this? I'm not completely sure, but through the developer options it was possible to disable this. However, I cannot find it anymore.

---------- Post added at 02:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 AM ----------

Thanks for your feedback!

Taskbar staying open even after all freeform mode windows have been closed is by design. If it's not set as your default launcher, though, you can still press the home button to collapse Taskbar and exit freeform mode. (You're not the only one that has asked about this, so I might make this an option in a future version :))

Perfect, I'll use a third-party nav bar instead, I forgot it was possible to disable the system one via build.prop.

A toggle is a great idea, and if in the future it's possible to add support so it can be set with a Nova gesture or a similar app, we won't need a dock anymore ?

Another thing I saw while checking the app was that when you move any window to one side of the screen it automatically pins like in split mode. Is there a way to avoid this? I'm not completely sure, but through the developer options it was possible to disable this. However, I cannot find it anymore.

BootloopedMillennials

Dec 25, 2010
Google Pixel 6
I was using this wonderful app for awhile as my main launcher. The problem I ran into was Hangouts Dialer wouldn't launch with this app installed. Think it was some issue with drawing on top conflicting.

farmerbb

Oct 9, 2011
Somewhere, Utah

No it's not possible to disable that. It's built-in behavior of Android.

farmerbb

Oct 9, 2011
Somewhere, Utah
I was using this wonderful app for awhile as my main launcher. The problem I ran into was Hangouts Dialer wouldn't launch with this app installed. Think it was some issue with drawing on top conflicting.

Hmm, interesting, I use Hangouts Dialer and haven't had any issues using it with Taskbar. I'll investigate this a bit more though.

BootloopedMillennials

Dec 25, 2010
Google Pixel 6
Hmm, interesting, I use Hangouts Dialer and haven't had any issues using it with Taskbar. I'll investigate this a bit more though.

I tested the new version and it works with Hangouts Dialer. Issue now is my power button doesn't work with Taskbar as home launcher. If I enter an app it works fine but on the homescreen it doesn't. If my phone falls asleep on homescreen, I can't turn it back on without rebooting.

farmerbb

Oct 9, 2011
Somewhere, Utah
I tested the new version and it works with Hangouts Dialer. Issue now is my power button doesn't work with Taskbar as home launcher. If I enter an app it works fine but on the homescreen it doesn't. If my phone falls asleep on homescreen, I can't turn it back on without rebooting.

The power button issue is a ROM-specific bug that has been reported on OnePlus devices, and also devices running CyanogenMod/Lineage OS. It's an issue with freeform mode itself, unfortunately, and not with Taskbar.

RudeboyXL

Jul 22, 2016
Nelson
--Feature request--

Please add an option to disable the start button entirely so it can be used purely as a system wide dock or resents bar only.

Please add icon spacing options so we can centre icons etc when using the "fill white space" option. either manual padding or various presets. also aligning them left/centre/right would be nice also.

Thanks and keep up the great work.

RudeboyXL

Jul 22, 2016
Nelson
Also, any thoughts to a Kitkat compatible version? We don't need free-form windows, but surely the overlay taskbar would work just fine on kitkat. I ask because Taskbar is extremely useful for tablets, yet most tablets are still running pre-lollipp android versions.

farmerbb

Oct 9, 2011
Somewhere, Utah
--Feature request--

Please add an option to disable the start button entirely so it can be used purely as a system wide dock or resents bar only.

Please add icon spacing options so we can centre icons etc when using the "fill white space" option. either manual padding or various presets. also aligning them left/centre/right would be nice also.

Also, any thoughts to a Kitkat compatible version? We don't need free-form windows, but surely the overlay taskbar would work just fine on kitkat. I ask because Taskbar is extremely useful for tablets, yet most tablets are still running pre-lollipp android versions.

Assuming you're talking about the navigation bar icons, yes, more customization options for them is something I plan on adding.

As for compatibility with Android 4.x devices, this is something I have actually investigated adding before. There are a few issues with adding support for 4.x, though, that I would have to work around before I consider supporting those versions:

• The app is pretty tightly built around APIs that were only added in 5.0, such as UsageStatsManager and LauncherApps
  • The app also takes advantage of the Material theme for context menus, and I have not been able to get the context menus to look correct on Android 4.x devices using AppCompat
  • More testing would be involved on my end if I were to support 4.x devices in addition to 5.0+

Reactions: matesurano

RudeboyXL

Jul 22, 2016
Nelson
Assuming you're talking about the navigation bar icons, yes, more customization options for them is something I plan on adding.

As for compatibility with Android 4.x devices, this is something I have actually investigated adding before. There are a few issues with adding support for 4.x, though, that I would have to work around before I consider supporting those versions:

• The app is pretty tightly built around APIs that were only added in 5.0, such as UsageStatsManager and LauncherApps
  • The app also takes advantage of the Material theme for context menus, and I have not been able to get the context menus to look correct on Android 4.x devices using AppCompat
  • More testing would be involved on my end if I were to support 4.x devices in addition to 5.0+

Understood. I'll keep my fingers crossed. It's the one thing I'm missing from my kitkat tablet to make it truly awesome.

matesurano

Oct 11, 2014
Version Information
Current Stable Version: 2.1.5
Stable Release Date: 2016-12-09

Created 2016-12-12
Last Updated 2016-12-12[/QUOTE]

Fantastic app( but for nougat only...I am talking about freeform). It needs the following two features and it will be unbeatable:
1. Option to open notifications in freeform/floating like hover or halo and
2. All the features working below nougat(at least lollipop)also. Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sage

Dead_Dude

Jan 31, 2014
is there any hope of getting live wallpaper support added to this app?

I would absolutely adore the ability to use this as my Launcher with KLWP.

But I don't know if that is even possible... :/

ambitiousButRubbish

Oct 29, 2017
I know this thread is pretty old now, but not sure where else to put this.
With taskbar installed as a system app, it's possible to have it detect only the running apps (found this out thanks to bliss OS), however, i am unable to get a list of running apps on Android 9 MIUI 10, it just remains blank, is this a bug in the app, or an issue with MIUI (rooted with magisk, app has been manually moved into /system/app)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Taskbar puts a start menu and recent apps tray on top of your screen that's accessible at any time, increasing your productivity and turning your Android tablet (or phone) into a real multitasking machine!

On devices running Android 7.0+, Taskbar can also launch apps in freeform windows for a PC-like experience! No root required! (see below for instructions)

Taskbar is also fully supported on Chrome OS - use Taskbar as a secondary Android app launcher on your Chromebook!

Features

• Start menu - shows you all applications installed on the device, configurable as a list or as a grid
    • Recent apps tray - shows your most recently used apps and lets you easily switch between them
    • Collapsible and hideable - show it when you need it, hide it when you don't
    • Many different configuration options - customize Taskbar however you want
    • Pin favorite apps or block the ones you don't want to see
    • Designed with keyboard and mouse in mind
    • 100% free, open source, and no ads

Freeform window mode (Android 7.0+)

Taskbar lets you launch apps in freeform floating windows on Android 7.0+ devices. No root access is required, although Android 8.0+ devices require an adb shell command to be run during initial setup.

Simply follow these steps to configure your device for launching apps in freeform mode:

1. Check the box for "Freeform window support" inside the Taskbar app
    2. Follow the directions that appear in the pop-up to enable the proper settings on your device (one-time setup)
    3. Go to your device's recent apps page and clear all recent apps
    4. Start Taskbar, then select an app to launch it in a freeform window

For more information and detailed instructions, click "Help & instructions for freeform mode" inside the Taskbar app.

Download

Download Taskbar on the Play Store
    Download Taskbar on F-Droid

It's about time I made an xda thread for this :laugh: Feedback is appreciated!

XDA:DevDB Information
    Taskbar, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    farmerbb
    Source Code: https://github.com/farmerbb/Taskbar/

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 3.9
    Stable Release Date: 2018-03-10

Created 2016-12-12
    Last Updated 2018-08-12
    Good work bro keep it up. Installed it and enjoying the ride as it's great concept as launcher's & dock is useless now :). Issues and suggestions Will be post if any.

Thanks for the app.

Sent from my LG-D858 using Tapatalk

The power button issue is a ROM-specific bug that has been reported on OnePlus devices, and also devices running CyanogenMod/Lineage OS. It's an issue with freeform mode itself, unfortunately, and not with Taskbar.
    --Feature request--