[APP][5.0] β-Maniac -- Life of a beta tester

Mirko ddd

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 7, 2010
Piazza Armerina
This app is only for those who attend the world of beta testing.

The Google Play app allows us to manage our beta programs but have you ever wanted to participate in a limited number beta program?

(The most common examples are WhatsApp and LinkedIn, at least for my country, Italy)

Every time you have to go to Google Play and see if you can access the beta program.

A few years ago (even before the Google Play app had a section dedicated to the quick view of our beta programs in which we participate) I had developed an app, for private use, to overcome this problem, and after adding some small personalization and option I would also like to make it available to this community, free from advertising and in-app purchases.

In the future it will be available on Google Play, but there will be at least some advertisements.

At the moment the app is available in Italian and English, but if you want to participate in the translation you can download the xml file at the second post.

Let me know your opinions.

XDA:DevDB Information
Beta Maniac, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
Mirko ddd

Version Information

Created 2020-01-26
Last Updated 2020-01-26

Attachments

Last edited:

Mirko ddd

Nov 7, 2010
Piazza Armerina
Downloads

For users benefit and safety every apk that has not been installed from Google Play has been remotely blocked, it will take you to Google Play App Page

This is to avoid someone decompile and add malevolent code and redistribute the app on apk dowload sites.

Google Play version of the app is checked and distributed by Google. It contains ads to support the development, but you are free to disable them throught the app settings. I strongly invite you rate the app 5 stars if you liked it, because when someone wants to complain don t even think twice before rating the app 1 star, even if the app is completely free.

Simply download by clicking the image below.
I trust your good hearts, kind regards

- strings.xml for people interested on translation help

Attachments

Last edited:

Mirko ddd

Nov 7, 2010
Piazza Armerina
FAQ and Privacy

FAQ

Q- The app was completely free, why now there are ads and I have to pay to turn them off?
A- Because the most of users complained and rated one star for no real reason. You had it for free, the only thing you had to do was keep the app average rating high enough to be considered a good app, but you didn' t. You had even the chance to donate, only 30-35 people did (and they will not see any ads now).

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=82630837&postcount=314

Q- Why cannot signin even if my connection is good?
A- Check out if you are on a VPN or custom DNS network. If so disable it and login.

Q- Why there is no auto sign-in or Google sign-in?
A- Currently you are not signin-in to Beta Maniac, you are signin-in to Google, and the eventual token you get using those facilities is not spendible in Google Play. What the app does is the same thing you would do manually, no API used.

and as @mbc07 has experienced:
For people having issues with ad blockers: it looks like you'll have trouble only when using DNS-based ad blocking. I personally use AdGuard on my device, which by default uses a VPN with a custom DNS to filter the ads. I normally leave the DNS-based filtering disabled since it sometimes breaks some sites and in fact, by using only the VPN-based filtering I didn't experience any login issues on Beta-Maniac, even with AdGuard active...
Privacy
User privacy

Last edited:

fulvius31

Nov 19, 2015
Awesome Work

Thanks Mirko for your amazing app!
I've just tried and I love the background process to find out if a beta version is available. :good::good::good::good:

Reactions: Mirko ddd

~El Julio~

Mar 31, 2016
Paris
If I may report that small issue :

Despite using XDA adfree version of your very welcomed app, I noticed it couldn't get past the post log-in screen (got No connection / Try again - with no avail') if device is connected with ad-blocking private DNS on Android 9+) or to a router set with ad-blocking DNS.

No biggy but took quite some time to figure out the reason.

You might want to change that or add a message to let users know their ad-blocker prevents the app from going further.

After initial set up though, it's working fine with or without DNS ad-blocking.

VPN usage was not an issue for me, only DNS level ad-blocking.

(Tested with v1)

Last edited:
Reactions: 50UND2 3NG1N33R

Mirko ddd

Nov 7, 2010
Piazza Armerina
If I may report that small issue :

Despite using XDA adfree version of your very welcomed app, I noticed it couldn't get past the post log-in screen (got No connection / Try again - with no avail') if device is connected with ad-blocking private DNS on Android 9+) or to a router set with ad-blocking DNS.

No biggy but took quite some time to figure out the reason.

You might want to change that or add a message to let users know their ad-blocker prevents the app from going further.

After initial set up though, it's working fine with or without DNS ad-blocking.

VPN usage was not an issue for me, only DNS level ad-blocking.

(Tested with v1)
check out third post, is explained

~El Julio~

Mar 31, 2016
Paris
Wow nice! I added a new string (forgot to upload newer one). Could you translate it on the fly?
Certainly, ? funny it's related to that ;)

"Aucune connexion. Si vous êtes connecté via un VPN et/ou utilisant un DNS personnalisé, la connexion échouera. Désactivez le(s) et réessayez."

---------- Post added at 04:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:36 PM ----------

check out third post, is explained
I had but since a basic VPN connection didn't harm my attempt on my first device running Oreo, I had assumed it was a broad statement to cover possible issues but it seemed to be mostly related to the ads mechanism in place in your code.

Just wished to help by clarifying.

(IMO however, having to turn a VPN or a custom DNS setting off, even temporarily, should not be forced on any user for doing so given the privacy implications some might want to maintain)

Last edited:

Mirko ddd

Nov 7, 2010
Piazza Armerina
Certainly, funny it's related to that ;)

"Aucune connexion. Si vous êtes connecté via un VPN et/ou utilisant un DNS personnalisé, la connexion échouera. Désactivez le(s) et réessayez."

---------- Post added at 04:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:36 PM ----------

I had but since a basic VPN connection didn't harm my attempt on my first device running Oreo, I had assumed it was a broad statement to cover possible issues but it seemed to be mostly related to the ads mechanism in place in your code.

Just wished to help by clarifying.
oh man, when there s an apostrophe you shoul escape the apostrophe like in "I have" "j/'ai". As soon as I complete to escape the apostrophe i will attach the translated version and credits to you for help

~El Julio~

Mar 31, 2016
Paris
oh man, when there s an apostrophe you shoul escape the apostrophe like in "I have" "j/'ai". As soon as I complete to escape the apostrophe i will attach the translated version and credits to you for help
Sorry this caused you such trouble. I just can't avoid using french correctly though.. (yeah we can be PITAs for many things ?, I know.) I mean, without the apostrophe, it's not proper french so hoping to see them in displayed text for french locales.

Apologies again.

ishreyas

Apr 16, 2019
- strings.xml for people interested on translation help

- beta-maniac.apk for installing
- beta-maniac-2.apk for installing (update)
Hello I've installed 1st apk on my Redmi Note 3 pro (Kenzo) MIUI 10 with Android 6.0.1 .
The app crashes instantly. Also installed 2nd apk but it gives same problem.

Mirko ddd

Nov 7, 2010
Piazza Armerina
Sorry this caused you such trouble. I just can't avoid using french correctly though.. (yeah we can be PITAs for many things , I know.) I mean, without the apostrophe, it's not proper french so hoping to see them in displayed text for french locales.

Apologies again.
lol, nope, I didn t mean that, just saying that there s a correct way to use apostrophe in xml. I uploaded the app with your translation, go check everything is fine.

~El Julio~

Mar 31, 2016
Paris
lol, nope, I didn t mean that, just saying that there s a correct way to use apostrophe in xml. I uploaded the app with your translation, go check everything is fine.
Oh, that. Well, sorry anyways : I used Solid Explorer to do that while commuting before even testing your app prior to doing so.
(Also, I don't know what that correct way of using them is in XML, is this its ASCII character that should be used ?)

I checked quickly without deleting app's data so don't know about initial setup text.

But there's a typo :
"Bêtas fermée uniquement" should be "Bêtas fermées uniquement"

There's also a setting title I imprecisely translated :
"Liste des filtres" should be "Filtrer la liste" to actually be meaningful.

Spotted the "system" choice related to the theme settings in the strings but can't yet see it in the app.

Finally, I spoke too soon as for the VPN/DNS issue :
It indeed prevents from entering any app's beta program page setting in the app but Scans can and will be performed normally.
I do reiterate my previous statement regarding having to disable either or both in order for your app to work. It's a radical setup change impacting all apps for just one to work normally.. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Mirko ddd

Nov 7, 2010
Piazza Armerina
Oh, that. Well, sorry anyways : I used Solid Explorer to do that while commuting before even testing your app prior to doing so.
(Also, I don't know what that correct way of using them is in XML, is this its ASCII character that should be used ?)

I checked quickly without deleting app's data so don't know about initial setup text.

But there's a typo :
"Bêtas fermée uniquement" should be "Bêtas fermées uniquement"

There's also a setting title I imprecisely translated :
"Liste des filtres" should be "Filtrer la liste" to actually be meaningful.

Spotted the "system" choice related to the theme settings in the strings but can't yet see it in the app.

Finally, I spoke too soon as for the VPN/DNS issue :
It indeed prevents from entering any app's beta program page setting in the app but Scans can and will be performed normally.
I do reiterate my previous statement regarding having to disable either or both in order for your app to work. It's a radical setup change impacting all apps for just one to work normally.. :rolleyes:
fixed the strings. Anyway no, it s not an ascii problem, it s just the android requirement to put slashes before apostrophe. I use a normal network, so I didn t figured out this problem before today, I know that only by feedbacks. I ll upload the app with translation fixed

Reactions: ~El Julio~

~El Julio~

Mar 31, 2016
Paris
fixed the strings. Anyway no, it s not an ascii problem, it s just the android requirement to put slashes before apostrophe. I use a normal network, so I didn t figured out this problem before today, I know that only by feedbacks. I ll upload the app with translation fixed
Oh, gotcha. I'm obviously no dev, just a glad-to-learn enthusiast so thanks for that.

Thanks and sorry again for those typos/mistranslation hence the extra work.