[APP][6.0] Beta Maniac -- Life of a beta tester

Search This thread

Mirko ddd

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 7, 2010
Piazza Armerina
A notion that so many people don't care about or don't care enough to actually respect it that it is harmed to such a point individuals phrase such statements as yours - also because of many big tech players that feed off of personal (anonymized or not) informations have kinda forced users into abdicating or abandoning many usages thinking in the lines of "well, what's the point in even trying to limit my/our exposure" - but it still is something that can be respected by mindful tech actors such as indy devs like XDA's who still value users' freedom of choice and consider they're responsible for theirs, not forcing anybody into any kind of behavior (not that I would accuse Mirko of such intentions, don't get me wrong - I know he's eventually gonna provide this ads-removal feature in his app).

In years of XDA Forums crawling, reading and learning, the major part (not to say almost all) of indy devs who shared their work here have always put in-app ads as either bare minimal (everyone on XDA hates full-screen & unremovable-before-a-certain-time ads) like tiny banners, or offered either ads-removal option from the very first versions or even (that has always been the most respected way of doing so IMO) opt-in ads option. In that last example case, I often opted in precisely to support development because I respected and valued both devs' efforts & kindness, and the concept of offering to support their work in the easiest and most user-respecting way (not forcing anything by design).

---------- Post added at 04:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:03 PM ----------

How is that so ? (Genuinely intrigued) I can login without any problem to my Google account by any other means when using adguard...

Well, anyways, now it seems the app can since v6.
Still puzzled as to why the wrapper (isn't it that, essentially ?) for beta pages couldn't work when those DNS are active..

the problem is that I m a bad coder :cyclops: . I don t use any kind of new tech sorcery (VPNs, AD blockers, custom DNSs) and I didn t account that many people around the world do. So I could not make the app take care of this problems, that s all.
Still learning.
Btw, i added privacy policy in the 3rd thread (not even Google bothered me with that).
One more thing about privacy, I won t use Google ads, I will use Facebook ads (user can manage ads in facebook app, facebook account on the web, or instagram).

Last edited:

~El Julio~

Mar 31, 2016
Paris
the problem is that I m a bad coder :cyclops: . I don t use any kind of new tech sorcery (VPNs, AD blockers, custom DNSs) and I didn t account that many people around the world do. So I could not make the app take care of this problems, that s all.
Still learning.
Btw, i added privacy policy in the 3rd thread (not even Google bothered me with that).

Hoping that's mainly ironical of yours as I really didn't mean any offense whatsoever. Apologies if received as such..

---------- Post added at 04:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:19 PM ----------

V7 works for accessing pages in ad-blocking situations but text isn't displayed (see attachment).

But weird also is Google Play Services aren't in the beta list despite being already enrolled in its beta program.

Mirko ddd

Nov 7, 2010
Piazza Armerina
Hoping that's mainly ironical of yours as I really didn't mean any offense whatsoever. Apologies if received as such..

Lol, nope, any offense. It s just the truth, this is an hobby (even if one of my apps has 2 millions user) and I m still learning. And the fact i didn t account for any network sorcery is real, 100% honest.

~El Julio~

Mar 31, 2016
Paris
Screenshot of a page without text

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200130-162233.png
    Screenshot_20200130-162233.png
    78.1 KB · Views: 168

Mirko ddd

Nov 7, 2010
Piazza Armerina

---------- Post added at 04:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:19 PM ----------

V7 works for accessing pages in ad-blocking situations but text isn't displayed (see attachment).

But weird also is Google Play Services aren't in the beta list despite being already enrolled in its beta program.

I dont see the attachment

~El Julio~

Mar 31, 2016
Paris
Lol, nope, any offense. It s just the truth, this is an hobby (even if one of my apps has 2 millions user) and I m still learning. And the fact i didn t account for any network sorcery is real, 100% honest.

Everyone can make mistakes, I firstly (?you know what I mean ?).

Thanks again for your quickness in reacting/responding/updating.

All that is so much appreciated.

Mirko ddd

Nov 7, 2010
Piazza Armerina
Happy to see the first YouTube video about the app.
Is in portoguese, so maybe lot of you will not understand a single word (me included), but it s a nice thing to mention.

Reactions: Fishawy

mbc07

Dec 12, 2013
Sony Xperia M
Sony Xperia X
For people having issues with ad blockers: it looks like you'll have trouble only when using DNS-based ad blocking. I personally use AdGuard on my device, which by default uses a VPN with a custom DNS to filter the ads. I normally leave the DNS-based filtering disabled since it sometimes breaks some sites and in fact, by using only the VPN-based filtering I didn't experience any login issues on Beta-Maniac, even with AdGuard active...

@mbc07 are you still having good time with John? :cyclops:
Yes

Reactions: let92 and Mirko ddd

Mirko ddd

Nov 7, 2010
Piazza Armerina
For people having issues with ad blockers: it looks like you'll have trouble only when using DNS-based ad blocking. I personally use AdGuard on my device, which by default uses a VPN with a custom DNS to filter the ads. I normally leave the DNS-based filtering disabled since it sometimes breaks some sites and in fact, by using only the VPN-based filtering I didn't experience any login issues on Beta-Maniac, even with AdGuard active...

Yes

Thanks for this tip. Does this applies to the last version I posted (9)?

Mirko ddd

Nov 7, 2010
Piazza Armerina
Yes it is

Might have had some cached wizardry though, maybe I had such expectation when looking for it. Silly me out.

Thanks again

All you see in the list is a database (that's why you see a list even if you didn't scan) and gets updated when you make a scan. I cannot add entries to your db, but I can choose what you can add. I simply chose that you can have Google play services too ?.
BTW, I want to ask you the permission to be mentioned inside the app as french translator. If you agree just let me know (it's not a urgent thing)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This app is for Beta Testers only

The Google Play app allows us to manage our beta programs but have you ever wanted to participate in a limited number beta program?

(The most common examples are WhatsApp, Facebook, Android Auto and LinkedIn, at least for my country, Italy)

Every time you have to go to Google Play and see if you can access the beta program.

A few years ago (even before the Google Play app had a section dedicated to the quick view of our beta programs in which we participate) I had developed an app, for private use, to overcome this problem, and after adding some small personalization and options I would also like to make it available to this community.

The app is now available on Google Play, contains ads and subscription (subscription remove ads and unlock the auto join feature).
    People who bought the old "remove ads" in-app purchase is premium user for life now (no need to subscribe to get the new auto join feature, thanks for the support.

At the moment the app is available different languages, but if you want to participate in the translation you can download the xml file at the second post.

Let me know your feedbacks about it.

XDA:DevDB Information
    Beta Maniac, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    Mirko ddd

Version Information
    Released

Created 2020-01-26
    Last Updated 2023-04-19
    Downloads

Click the image below to be redirected to Google Play page of the app

Attached the strings.xml if you are interested on translation help
    What's new in version 0.1.5

- App compiled as .apk and not as app bundle.
    - Added option to ignore apps
    - Added grid view
    - Better app listing (system apps and installed apps which have a Google Play App page)
    - Added option to launch the app and open Google Play page directly from the app
    - Minor UI changes
    - Added DE and NL translations

the app will be online in a couple of hours.
    FAQ and Privacy

FAQ

Q- Why should I use this app instead of
    Beta Checker or Beta Lister or any other similar app?
    A- The first one does not check anything, you have to manually go in Google Play and share the link with the app, which is pretty useless, once you are in Google Play you can directly see if there is a beta and can join or leave from Google Play itself.
    The second (which I cannot find the link anymore, probably the dev just removed it from Google Play, at least in my Country) does lists from the installed apps the ones which have a beta version (using the dev cookie, or an alt account) but it is almost useless, because if a beta is available in US does not mean it is available in other countries. And you cannot take action anyways, you need to go in Google Play (app or web) to join the beta. Using the dev cookie means that the app is not aware of your joined betas too.

Q- I don t trust the Google form for sign-in, why don' t you use official Google Sign In API?
    A- Google Sign in API generates a token for third party backends to auth the user. The problem is that Google Play does not have API for third party developers to auth users.

Q- Why there is no auto sign-in or Google sign-in?
    A- Currently you are not signin-in to Beta Maniac, you are signin-in to Google, and the eventual token you get using those facilities is not spendible in Google Play. What the app does is the same thing you would do manually, no API used.

Q- I don t want to sign in then, what can I do?
    A- Simply do not use the app.

Q- Why cannot sign-in even if my connection is good?
    A- Check out if you are on a VPN or custom DNS network. If so disable it and login.

Q- Does the app collects any data?
    A- The app collects anonymous data (phone model, android version, country) for analytics purpose and crash reports, handled by Google using Firebase.

Q- The app was completely free, why now there are ads and I have to pay to turn them off?
    A- Because the most of users complained and rated one star for no real reason. You had it for free, the only thing you had to do was keep the app average rating high enough to be considered a good app, but you didn' t. You had even the chance to donate, only 30-35 people did (and they will not see any ads now).

https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=82630837&postcount=314

Q- I bought the "remove ads" in-app purchase, do I need to subscribe?
    A- Of course not, you are already a life time premium user, thanks for the support.

and as @mbc07 has experienced:

Privacy
    User privacy
    Coming soon: grid view