[APP][7.0+][v4.3.5] BubbleUPnP - UPnP/DLNA/Chromecast Control Point and Renderer

Search This thread

Xhorder

Dec 1, 2010
@Xhorder

Normally you should see a persistent notification for as long as the app is running.
If media is playing, this notification also show playback controls.
Do you have this issue only when the tablet is displaying the lockscreen or also if fully unlocked ?
Lockscreen behavior may vary between Android ROM and versions.
I figured it out. "User error"
Notifications were blocked, although I don't remember doing that.
Thanks, working fine now.

Druschii

Apr 22, 2021
I`m using BubbleUPnP Server on my Synology NAS and from time to time BubbleUPnP Server crashs.

Server log says:

[main ] SEVERE - 01:00:16.953 - Main : java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
at com.bubblesoft.bubbleupnpserver.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:135)
Caused by: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

NAS, Java or BubbleUPnP Server problem?

bubbleguuum

Dec 23, 2010
I`m using BubbleUPnP Server on my Synology NAS and from time to time BubbleUPnP Server crashs.

Server log says:

[main ] SEVERE - 01:00:16.953 - Main : java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
at com.bubblesoft.bubbleupnpserver.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:135)
Caused by: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

NAS, Java or BubbleUPnP Server problem?

@Druschii

The java process is running out of memory.

- how much RAM does your NAS have ?
- are you using version 0.9-update40 which was released a few weeks ago ? This version fixes important memory leaks on server soft restarts which could cause this issue. Unlike other updates, it requires a full reinstall of the BubbleUPnP Server syno package. So if the version displayed in the web Status tab is 0.9-update40 but you did not reinstall the Syno package, make sure to do it

Last edited:
Reactions: Druschii

Druschii

Apr 22, 2021
My NAS has only 512MB RAM. The update was successful, but I didn`t reinstall BubbleUpnp Server.
I will test it with an reinstall.

madmack

I have a question, is Bubbleupnp server able to transcode streamable links back to an android device renderer?

I have some video links (live feeds) in *.ts format. When I click to play them on Android, I select BubbleUpnp (which is successfully connected to my desktop server), then it asks me to select the external android app I want to use (I do), however, the external app is streaming directly and not using my Bubbleupnp server which I want to use to save bandwidth when I'm on a mobile data plan. Anyway this works?

alexinc

Feb 4, 2008
HTC Vision: G2
LG G5
I started using BubbleUPnP server in an chrooted Debian environment on my Xiaomi R2D Router/NAS (crippled OpenWRT) with Oracle eJDK 8 and MinimServer. Everything seems to work quite well, besides created OpenHome renderer being detected, connected to and sometimes starting to play for seconds and then stopping playback. It doesn't matter what device i create OpenHome renderer from (Chromecast, Samsung TV, Samsung HTC) or if i use BubbleUPnP on Android Phone or foobar2000 as playback device. How can i contribute to invest further? Did a quick look at debug log from BubbleUPnP on my phone but don't think it may help tracking down the cause on Router/NAS? How can i make logging on NAS more detailed (editing configuration.xml Loglevel from INFO to ?)? Also i didn't manage to connect to BubbleUPnP Server from WAN on HTTPS port 50081. May there be any interference between the hosting OpenWRT and the chrooted Debian in terms of ports or similar, so OpenHome renderer commands/requests are getting blocked too or running into timeout? :)

Casting to DLNA renders works without any trouble.

Thanks i.a.!

wudangnic

Feb 22, 2008
OnePlus 6T
Hi! When I try to share a playlist from tidal app to bubbleupnp I receive an error message "the tidal link was not handled", as you can see in the screenshot. Any idea why is this happening?
Screenshot_20210505-181325.jpg

taimei

May 5, 2017
@bubbleguuum

I use the optional convOut statement in Audio filters on BubbleUPnP Server to apply a convolution filter.
When applying the convolution filter, there is a issue that the remaining about 1 second of the track is truncated.
This issue does not occur only by decoding to WAV and applying ReplayGain. This issue only occurs by applying a convolution filter.
Also, I haven't checked Gapless playback.
Is it possible for you to fix this issue? Or is this issue on the ffmpeg side?

jigsaw_rh

May 6, 2021
Hello,
Like others, I am also facing the Tidal authentication issue using BubbleUpnpServer to emulate OpenHome renderer.
My client applications are Lumin or Linn on iOS so I cannot jump to BubbleUpnp client application.

The only way to make it working is to use Mconnect but I don't like it at all.

It's not clear in my mind if a fix is under build on the BubbleUpnpServer side to make it working again with Tidal and Lumin/Linn application ?

Thanks in advance for your answer and help.

Qbunjo

Mar 26, 2018
Warszawa
Hi,
first I would like to appreciate this app - I use it for years as my default home DLNA remote and bought the full version. But there is one thing that irritates me: when I rotate the phone while adding music to the playlist, the process of adding files cancels. Can it be fixed?

bubbleguuum

Dec 23, 2010
Hello,
Like others, I am also facing the Tidal authentication issue using BubbleUpnpServer to emulate OpenHome renderer.
My client applications are Lumin or Linn on iOS so I cannot jump to BubbleUpnp client application.

The only way to make it working is to use Mconnect but I don't like it at all.

It's not clear in my mind if a fix is under build on the BubbleUpnpServer side to make it working again with Tidal and Lumin/Linn application ?

Thanks in advance for your answer and help.

@jigsaw_rh

OpenHome TIDAL support in BubbleUPnP Server stopped working (in Lumin/Kazoo) about 2 weeks ago when TIDAL revoked the old login/password authentication method. It now requires OAuth2 TIDAL login web form authentication which I recently implemented for the next BubbleUPnP Server update (not too far off). It will only work with (updated) Android BubbleUPnP/BubbleDS and Linn Kazoo. For Kazoo you will have to login with Android BubbleUPnP first, although that may be doable in Kazoo in the future. It definitely cannot work with Lumin.
In the meantime, it is currently still possible to play TIDAL to these OH renderers using Android BubbleUPnP, but it is not using OH, thus requires to leave BubbleUPnP running in the background for as long as TIDAL tracks are playing.

Last edited:

bubbleguuum

Dec 23, 2010
Hi,
first I would like to appreciate this app - I use it for years as my default home DLNA remote and bought the full version. But there is one thing that irritates me: when I rotate the phone while adding music to the playlist, the process of adding files cancels. Can it be fixed?

@Qbunjo

It could be fixed but probably requires quite a bit of effort so no promise. This non-ideal behavior is old and originates from the early days of the app.

madmack

I have a question, is Bubbleupnp server able to transcode streamable links back to an android device renderer?

I have some video links (live feeds) in *.ts format. When I click to play them on Android, I select BubbleUpnp (which is successfully connected to my desktop server), then it asks me to select the external android app I want to use (I do), however, the external app is streaming directly and not using my Bubbleupnp server which I want to use to save bandwidth when I'm on a mobile data plan. Anyway this works?

@bubbleguuum

Can you please advise if it's possible at all? I appreciate your hard work in this app.

bubbleguuum

Dec 23, 2010
@bubbleguuum thanks for your reply.
So there is definitely no solution to make it working if I am using iOS on client side (except using Mconnect like I said) ?

Linn Kazoo for iOS will work (once I released the update of BubbleUPnP Server with OAuth support and the caveat that you will have to login to TIDAL with Android BubbleUPnP for the OH renderer prior to using iOS Kazoo).
Lumin will not work.
Otherwise, mConnect works but it requires to keep it running, defeating the purpose of OH.

bubbleguuum

Dec 23, 2010
@bubbleguuum

Can you please advise if it's possible at all? I appreciate your hard work in this app.

@madmack

If I understand correctly, you'd want BubbleUPnP Server to transcode these live .ts stream to save bandwidth while on mobile data ? That's not possible currently. Not sure what exactly would involve on top of my head but probably not entirely trivial.

Reactions: madmack

bubbleguuum

Dec 23, 2010
@bubbleguuum

I use the optional convOut statement in Audio filters on BubbleUPnP Server to apply a convolution filter.
When applying the convolution filter, there is a issue that the remaining about 1 second of the track is truncated.
This issue does not occur only by decoding to WAV and applying ReplayGain. This issue only occurs by applying a convolution filter.
Also, I haven't checked Gapless playback.
Is it possible for you to fix this issue? Or is this issue on the ffmpeg side?

@taimei

It looks as if the convolution filter is changing track duration and adding that 1 second.
From what I understand of convolution filters, this should not modify track duration (total count of sample), right ?
I will test it to check what happens.

bubbleguuum

Dec 23, 2010
I started using BubbleUPnP server in an chrooted Debian environment on my Xiaomi R2D Router/NAS (crippled OpenWRT) with Oracle eJDK 8 and MinimServer. Everything seems to work quite well, besides created OpenHome renderer being detected, connected to and sometimes starting to play for seconds and then stopping playback. It doesn't matter what device i create OpenHome renderer from (Chromecast, Samsung TV, Samsung HTC) or if i use BubbleUPnP on Android Phone or foobar2000 as playback device. How can i contribute to invest further? Did a quick look at debug log from BubbleUPnP on my phone but don't think it may help tracking down the cause on Router/NAS? How can i make logging on NAS more detailed (editing configuration.xml Loglevel from INFO to ?)? Also i didn't manage to connect to BubbleUPnP Server from WAN on HTTPS port 50081. May there be any interference between the hosting OpenWRT and the chrooted Debian in terms of ports or similar, so OpenHome renderer commands/requests are getting blocked too or running into timeout? :)

Casting to DLNA renders works without any trouble.

Thanks i.a.!

@alexinc

Can you send me (bubblesoftproducts@gmail.com) the BubbleUPnP Server log file (BubbleUPnPServer.log.0) just after triggering the problem (playing to an OH renderer that stops after a few seconds).
Before generating that log, first change enableStreamProxyRequestLog to true in configuration.xml (requires stopping and restarting the server).

Reactions: alexinc

madmack

@madmack

If I understand correctly, you'd want BubbleUPnP Server to transcode these live .ts stream to save bandwidth while on mobile data ? That's not possible currently. Not sure what exactly would involve on top of my head but probably not entirely trivial.

Exactly. It would be a nice feature to have in case you get time to put some code into it. Thanks @bubbleguuum.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello, I am having trouble streaming Tidal to my mpd/upmpdcli renderers using Kazoo as a Control Point and BubbleUPnP server as the OpenHome renderer.
    Kazoo as its own Tidal service, but the library does not even show if a mpd/upmpdcli combination is selected as a renderer, unless on top of upmpdcli there is BubbleUPnP server with its own OpenHome renderer with Tidal support enabled.
    While this upmpdcli+bubbleupnp server setup works perfectly when using the BubbleUPnP app, it does not work with Kazoo.
    I get the "unsupported uri scheme" error on mpd.
    Instead, if I use gmrenderer-resurrect, of course with BubbleUPnP server "on top" of it, Kazoo happily plays Tidal to it. Unfortunately in this case, I don't get scrobbling to Last.FM which I like to have.

Is there something I can do to fix the issue?

Thank you

@GioF_71

Can you send me (at bubblesoftproducts@gmail.com) the BubbleUPnP Server log file (BubbleUPnPServer.log.0, usually found on Windows in folder C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\BubbleUPnP Server) after attempting to play with Kazoo a TIDAL track to the upmpdcli renderer managed by BubbleUPnP Server, resulting in that failure to play ?
    Make sure to select the correct upmpdcli renderer in Kazoo (the BubbleUPnP Server managed one).

BubbleUPnP on Google Play [current version: 4.3.5, released on March 24th 2024]
    BubbleUPnP on Amazon appstore [current version: 4.3.4, released on February 26th 2024]
    BubbleUPnP latest APKs, Google Play version (notably for side-loading on Android TV)
    BubbleUPnP latest APK, Amazon appstore version (notably for side-loading on Fire TV)
    BubbleUPnP 'Audio Cast' Xposed Module. Only needed on Android < 10. (current version: 1.1, released on April 28th 2021)
    BubbleUPnP Server home page (download and documentation) [current version: 0.9-update49, released on February 17th 2024]

BubbleUPnP home page

Stream all your music, videos and photos to various devices in your house:

• Chromecast
    • DLNA TVs
    • gaming consoles: Xbox, Playstation (from XMB)
    • UPnP/DLNA renderers: XBMC, WDTV Live, other Android devices, ...
    • various HiFi gear from Sonos, Denon, Pioneer, Onkyo and many more
    • local Android playback

BubbleUPnP can access your media from a lot of sources, including:

• UPnP/DLNA media servers: most NASes, XBMC, Plex, Twonky, Serviio, Windows Media Player and many more
    • local media stored on your Android device
    • cloud media: Google Drive, Dropbox, Box, OneDrive, Google Music, Google+
    • SMB Shares
    • WebDAV (ownCloud, NextCloud, webserver...)
    • media from other apps such as web browsers and file managers, using Share/Send
    • captured audio from most other apps. Requires Xposed (root)
    • Shoutcast radio (with XiiaLive)

BubbleUPnP is a versatile app packed with many features for you to discover, some of which are:

• extensive Chromecast support: play incompatible Chromecast media with transcoding (*), subtitles, audio/video track selection (*)
    • fast and secure Internet access to your home media while on the go, from mobile and WiFi networks (*)
    • playback queue, editable playlists, scrobbling, sleep timer, various shuffle modes
    • integrated full screen image viewer and controller
    • media download to your SD Card
    • ...and much more!

(*) Some features are provided by BubbleUPnP Server, an optional software that can be installed on any machine on your local network to provide additional services. To learn more about BubbleUPnP Server, visit https://bubblesoftapps.com.

Some features are restricted and can be unlocked by purchasing the BubbleUPnP License app.

If something is not working, you can record a log file and mail it to me at bubblesoftproducts@gmail.com:

- launch the app
    - go into More > Settings > Control
    - Enable "logging to file" (at the end of the page).
    - IMPORTANT: Exit the app (More > Exit)
    - restart the app
    - run the app and trigger the problem to troubleshoot
    - exit the app (More > Exit)
    - email me the files found on internal storage:

On Android 10 and below:

/Android/data/com.bubblesoft.android.bubbleupnp/log.txt
    /Android/data/com.bubblesoft.android.bubbleupnp/prev_log.txt

On Android 11 and higher:

/Downloads/com.bubblesoft.android.bubbleupnp_log.txt
    /Downloads/prev_com.bubblesoft.android.bubbleupnp_log.txt (if present)

You can access them with a file manager app and share them to your email app for sending them.

IMPORTANT: Make sure to not restart BubbleUPnP until you have sent or saved the log file as it is overwritten on app startup.
    BubbleUPnP 1.6.8 and BubbleUPnP Server 0.6.5 are available

Thanks to everyone who contributed suggestions, bug reports, logs etc.

BubbleUPnP 1.6.8

Video transcoding enhancements with BubbleUPnP Server (requires upgrading to BubbleUPnP Server 0.6.5)

• transcoded video preserve embedded subtitles (mostly found in MKV). MX Player must be configured to use the H/W+ or S/W decoder to allow to select subtitles
    • when playing a transcoded video, ability to choose interactively audio/video streams to be included in the transcoded video (when there is more than 1 audio/video stream)
    • added ability to download transcoded videos (as MKV), preserving all audio/video tracks and subtitles of the original video
      Transcode quality can be set in "Settings > Network And Settings > Video transcoding", in the "File downloads" transcoding section.
      Requires licensed BubbleUPnP.

New features

• added Google Music auto playlists: "Thumbs up" and "Last added" (needs a Sync to appear)
    • added exit button to rich JB notification. Exit the app the same way than Menu > Exit
    • added option Settings > Library > Play displays Now Playing. If enabled, play actions in Library immediately switch to the Now Playing screen
    • added option Settings > Now Playing > Keep screen on. If enabled, the screen is kept on when device is plugged to power and on the Now Playing screen. Enabled by default
    • added "Music > Artists > All Albums" local media server folder, listing all albums sorted by album artist
    • added "Show metadata" action in context menu of album folders in Library (useful to see long titles)
    • added instructions for playing tunein radios from the Android web browser, in Settings > About/Help > Tips > Interacting with other apps
    • added ability to edit an item's metadata (title, album, artist) with context menu > Edit metadata in the Playlist tab and in a saved playlist folder (in Library).
      Useful to rename items having missing or incomplete metadata that have been sent to BubbleUPnP from third party apps (ex: tunein). This feature must only be used for items that will be added to a saved playlist. It *does not* modify metadata on the server
    • show album composer in album lists in Library, if composer is present and Settings > Display > Item size is set to Medium or greater
    • downloading a video also downloads the external subtitle file if present
    • local folder search also searches album name and artist instead of just title

Bug fixes

• fixed subtitle URLs sent by recent versions of Twonky (7.x) not recognized
    • fixed download of non-media items (such as subtitles) giving an error
    • fixed Stop (long-click on Play/Pause button) sometimes triggering playback of next track
    • fixed "Settings > Display > Multiline items" not working properly in Library album folders
    • fixed lock screen controls not showing when playing videos to external renderer
    • fixed current LAN renderer lost when network connection switches from WiFi to mobile data or no network
    • fixed error when playing podcast sent from Share action of Doggcatcher
    • fixed broken playlist track advance on some Roku renderers
    • fixed images displayed from Wild Media Server being low resolution (workaround WMS bug)
    • fixed Search action not available on phones, in Library folders containing items only, such as playlists. Now available under menu > Search, allowing local search of these folders
    • fixed possible crash when playing a video to a remote BubbleUPnP instance
    • fixed obscure crashes, some of them involving old versions of Android

BubbleUPnP Server 0.6.5

• added support for transcoding videos to MKV instead of MPEG-TS in a number of cases. MKV is automatically used when embedded subtitles must be preserved, and
      for transcoded video downloads (both require Android BubbleUPnP 1.6.8+). ffmpeg must have been compiled with MKV support
    • fixed proxy media servers not discovered by Windows Media Player
    • added option -useNumericIpInStreamURL to force the server to return numeric ip stream URLs instead of a hostname.
      This may be required for some specific renderers to accept to stream from a media server via tethering. This setting is forced if the browsing
      client is a Samsung TV, which requires it
    • fixed small CPU spike every 30s on slow NASes
    • fixed stream URLs becoming invalid if browsing large number of items (more than 3000)
    • fixed Sony SA-NS310 renderer recognized as a media server instead of a renderer
    • fixed proxies not carrying the X_MS_MediaReceiverRegistrar service
    • libshine is used for mp3 transcoding if compiled in ffmpeg (useful on slow NASes as it uses way less CPU than libmp3lame)
    • added missing Standby action support for OpenHome renderers (simply stops playback)
    • fixed transcoded images rarely failing to load due to low read timeout
    • Windows installer: updated ffmpeg to 1.2, added ffprobe, updated Java installer to 7u21
    Finally, it's there!

BubbleUPnP 1.8.0 is available on Google Play, bringing Chromecast support.
    BubbleUPnP Server 0.8 is available as well, providing transcoding support.

All the details in this G+ post

BubbleUPnP 4.0 announcement

I've been working on BubbleUPnP 4.0.

It will refresh the UI with Material Design 3, including (optional) Material You support (on Android 12+). It's been a lot of work and there is still a lot to do as the app is huge (and old, 12 years and counting. First version was released on Android 2.3!). Converting the app settings to androidx.preference, fragments and tweak some prefs for MD3 took several days alone!

Here's a few work-in-progress screenshots until a beta is available later this month.

The screenshots show various combinations of material You in dark and light mode. There's also to the ability to combine a light theme with dark bars for a look close to the current Light + dark bars theme (last screenshot). Note that dynamic tinting of the Now Playing screen based on cover colors is not yet implemented (as in the current version) but this is planned.
    BubbleUPnP 4.0 is available in the Play Store. I hope you'll like the redesign !