What is this about?
TrackerControl allows users to monitor and control the widespread, ongoing, hidden data collection in mobile apps about user behaviour ('tracking').
To detect tracking, TrackerControl combines the power of the Disconnect blocklist, used by Firefox, and our in-house blocklist is used, created from analysing ~2 000 000 apps!
Additionally, TrackerControl supports standard blocklists.
- reveals the companies behind tracking,
- allows to block tracking selectively, and
- exposes the purposes of tracking, such as analytics or advertising.
The app also aims to educate about your rights under Data Protection Law, such the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
Under the hood, TrackerControl uses Android's VPN functionality, to analyse apps' network communications locally on the Android device. This is accomplished through a local VPN server, to enable network traffic analysis by TrackerControl.
No external VPN server is used, to keep your data safe!
How to get it?
TrackerControl is available on F-Droid, the most popular open-source Android app store:
Alternatively, the app can be downloaded directly from GitHub, including automatic checks for updates:
- You have another VPN service, such as NetGuard? Sorry, only one VPN supported.
- You are on Android 9+? Try to disable 'Private DNS' from the settings.
- You are on Lineage OS 15.1 / 16? This has known issues with VPN.
Disclaimer: The usage of this app is at your own risk. No app can offer 100% protection against tracking.
TrackerControl, App for all devices (see above for details)
Source Code: https://github.com/OxfordHCC/tracker-control-android
Last Updated 2020-09-12